WTF?! I don't even know who these guys are!

cgpwns

CAGiversary!
I just got this e-mail

Dear Chase account holder,

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your Chase Internet Banking account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the Chase Bank network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:

1. Login to your Chase Internet Banking account. In case you are not enrolled for Internet Banking, you will have to use your Social Security Number as both your Personal ID and Password.

2. Review your recent account history for any unauthorized withdrawals or deposits, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to Chase staff immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://chaseonline.chase.com/chaseonline/logon/sso_logon.jsp

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire Chase system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

The Chase Bank Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your Chase Bank account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.

© 2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

I don't even have a Chase Bank account, just Wachovia. My parents don't either so I don't know what this is about but I'm going to look into it. I hope someone didn't steal my identidy to make a bank account!

I just called and they said it is a third party trying to steal people's personal info if they have a chase account.

The identity theft would occur if you click on that link and put in whatever information they ask. Doesn't really do much to you since they'll probably ask for your account number, but of the thousands spammers send that to, I'm sure some have a Chase account.

Chances are if you click the actual link in the email, you'll either go to a website that's not chase.com or a little popup will appear on top of the window.

I just got one last night about Paypal saying that I just sent out a payment for 32.95 for a Orange and Brown Salsa Dress. At the botttom it said If you didnt authorize this purchase please dispute it by clicking here. I think these scams are funny. But I went to paypal and checked my account just in case :)

Phishing.
NEVER click a financial link that is sent to you in email.
ALWAYS go directly to the site. If they need you to do something, it'll tell you there.
Hover over the link, odds are it'll be long as hell or include a bunch of numbers either at the beginning or the end, for the scumbag redirect link.

They don't necessarily have or want your bank account, they want your name, DOB, and SS to make lots of new accounts.

I would assume the e-mail is in HTML, and that link that is listed will actually send you to something like chasonline.chase.asdf.com. That's how the Paypal scams work.

I thought someone may have created an account with them using my name or something. Good thing I called them instead of doing what the email says.

My mom almost got caught by one of these- I was on my way out the door, being picked up by my BF, and she mentioned in passing she needed help "checking an email from paypal". I stopped immedately-
"Was there a link?"
"yes."
"and you went to it?"
"...yes..."
"You didn't give them any info, did you?"
"Well, I wasn't sure, I logged into paypal but then they wanted my Account number and stuff, so I wanted to ask you."

I told my BF to wait and made her call up paypal and freeze her account. They verifed the email was fake, and that nothing had happened to her account, so she changed her password and got it un-froze. Only took like 30 minutes.

The next day she got another email asking her to verify or cancel a hundred-something dollar charge. We think they got mad cuz she went halfway through the process but wised up before they could steal anything. :bouncy:

I have seen stuff like this before. I remember the worst one I got was badly written and then they had the nerve to say if you don't bank with this company please ignore this email. I laughed hard at that one. lazy Phisher.

Like DuelLadyS, I caught my sister in this bullshit on Valentine's Day. She called to say hi and asked me about this Paypal stuff. I explained to her the basics of phishing and URGED her to never ever EVER click on these and fill out the information. Then I call the parents and urged the same.

Tired of this bullshit. I can't wait for a program that I can use that makes people on the other end of these things asplode.

bread's done
Back