WTF is with Best Buy

zsciaeount

CAGiversary!
OK, I don't know if anyone else has been having issues with BBY, but I've reached my limit and thought I'd share.

The recent Vita pre-order issue was a mess. They made a mistake with the first edition pre-order SKU and canceled my pre-order, asking me to call and re-order at a discount. Would have been nice, except that no one on the other end seemed to know what was up, and couldn't find the deal, telling me it didn't even exist. It took 4 phone calls over 2 hours to finally fix the issue.

And that's just the latest. They have botched no less than 5 pre-orders over the past 18 months. I kept being loyal because of the RZ points, but now that the Gamer's Club has been reduced to a joke, I see no incentive to keep pre-ordering with BBY.

Anyone else having major issues with them, or have I just stepped into an alternate universe of incompetence and suckitude???

I've never had anything but trouble with Best Buy. I avoid doing business with them except for penny guides or unless there's a worthwhile exclusive bonus like the FFXIII-2 novella.

When Halo Wars was first released, I missed the preorder for the limited edition, so I went to Best Buy in person and asked them for a copy. They had several copies stacked with names on them reserved for preorders. The girl tore off the note, threw it in the bin and said "I found one for you". Some poor kid lost their preorder copy on the first day.

Of all the stores I've dealt with, online and off, the one I've had the most issues with is BB.

Pre-orders missing. Being told to pick up games that weren't even released yet. In-store pickups given to someone else. $4.99 Deals of the Day that disappeared. Pre-order bonus items that were never delivered. Returns and price matches that were such BS because of the supposed separation between their online and b&m stores.

So...yeah, BB sucks.

Have had some good experiences too, but those many, many bad experiences are etched in memory.

As I've said elsewhere, I'll deal with BB - but I will NOT trust them. I'll always backup my special pre-orders with a pre-order elsewhere.

[quote name='sunghost']Best Buy has been known to screw up preorders very often, I recommend preordering elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

This. Learned this the hard way with my Saints Row the Third and UMvC 3 pre-order bonuses. The hassles I went through with those ensures I go to Gamestop for pre-orders and Best Buy for regular purchases.

One thing to remember, if you pre-order off their site, never, EVER use a Best Buy gift card to pay for the entire purchase, it seems like a strange concept to BB & caused me quite the headache when trying to pick up my FF XIII xbox 360 console bundle :bomb: :wall:

Interesting, never knew about Best Buy screwing up so bad when it comes to pre-orders. I have yet to pre-order at Best Buy, this thread has me discouraged at ever doing so.

What do you expect from a business that charges 900 dollars for an hdmi cable?

Best Buy's only option to survive is to use guerrilla business tactics and hire brainless teenagers to peddle overprice electronics.

I order online from their website, never preorders, just for the stuff that is cheaper there than on amazon, since on amazon I have to buy $25 worth to get free shipping and BB has free shipping on almost everything I have needed. Their stores are horrible though, with much higher prices than online, and some stores won't match the website prices. Plus I get reward zone points. I get charged tax from amazon anyways so I figure why not go with them.

Honestly, GameStop does a pretty good job with preorders. With Gamestop, I have always received several notifications via phone and email, I always get any preorder bonus, and the new copies are always sealed and held for the 48 hour time period.

The only game I have preordered from Best Buy was Pokemon Gold and it was a total disaster. No notification. I bring my receipt to the store and they are out of new copies and I did not receive the preorder bonus. Granted this was 12 years ago... but from the other replies, I don't think Best Buy has made any improvements to process pre orders successfully.

I try to avoid Best Buy not because I've ever had any real problems, but because their employees are either pushy as fuck or blatantly ignore you.

Yeah Gamestop does do a good job with preorders, its the one thing they do right. But it can go wrong if you have a bad manager or bad employees at a store who will sell off customer's preorders to the person coming in with money in hand instead of waiting for you to come and pick it up. But i don't seem to be hearing too many stories about these things happening recently.

Personally I haven't had any issues with preorders at Best Buy (preorder bonuses are a different story). I have done at least 8-10 over the past year and all were there when I went to pick them up. I guess my store owns your store.

Best Buy is starting to get better with pre-orders, at least the one around me.

Back when Deus Ex came out, I had it pre-ordered and when I went in the day it came out, they told me to go grab one off the shelf. Nice.

When I got Arkham City though, they actually had pre-orders kept in back where trade-ins take place.

I gave up on Best Buy about a year ago. They screw up preorder after preorder. They stopped responding to my emails, I probably got blacklisted because they got sick of my complaints because of their screw ups. I maintained silver status for 2 years, but they haven't gotten a single penny from me since shortly after they fucked up my Hurt Locker blu-ray steelbook order. Their loss is Amazon and Walmarts gain.

I've never preordered from best buy and from the sounds of these stories I think I'll stick with gamestop.For those wondering I've never had an issue with gamestop getting my games though did have problems in the past getting preorder bonuses but,this was at least 2 years ago and they have gotten way better since then.

bread's done
Back