WTF my game won't eject!

GundamFan

CAGiversary!
I called customer service and they said it had something to do with leaving my game in the xbox. They said it would cost 90 dollars to fix (on top of shipping), but I am not about to spend more than half for a new xbox. I went to EB games and they said they would give $50 credit toward the purchase of a new one. Can anyone help me?!

Take a flathead screwdriver and stick it in the small cracks around the tray and pull the tray out. You could also open your Xbox and look at the tray opening/closing mechanisms and mess around with it. That's how I got my DVD player to work again. Not really good advice, but a suggestion...

Okay, I'm not good at instructions, but bear with me. Right underneath the disc drive, between the 2nd controller port and the eject button, you should see a very small hole. Make sure your xbox is off, and take a paperclip that you've straightened out and push it in, like you're reseting a watch or something, it should actually make the disc drive open.

[quote name='st0neface']Okay, I'm not good at instructions, but bear with me. Right underneath the disc drive, between the 2nd controller port and the eject button, you should see a very small hole. Make sure your xbox is off, and take a paperclip that you've straightened out and push it in, like you're reseting a watch or something, it should actually make the disc drive open.[/quote]

if thats not clear enough, its right on the bordr between shiny black plastic, and drab black plastic. its on the angle, and it is about a paperclip diameter.

I had a similar problem with my P2. I got it fixed for 25 bucks. The guy told me something about the tray track wearing out and that it is a common problem in P2 and XBox systems. I don't really know how much truth there is to that but for 25 bucks to get my system working again I really did'nt care.

Let us know how you make out.

What game is stuck in there?

That same thing happened to my friend's PS2. It was just sent to Sony and it was fixed along with the DRE problem.

Seems the PS2 isn't the only one with problems. Looks like Sony should go back to the top of the console like in the original. Though it still has a whole lot other things to work on, I never have hard about any problems with the Gamecube console unless seriously damaged like dropping it.

[quote name='GundamFan']I called customer service and they said it had something to do with leaving my game in the xbox. They said it would cost 90 dollars to fix (on top of shipping), but I am not about to spend more than half for a new xbox. I went to EB games and they said they would give $50 credit toward the purchase of a new one. Can anyone help me?![/quote]

Why would it matter if you left the game in the box? That makes no sense at ALL!!!! I love how the customer service dept. makes up their own answers!!! Hello! You make $6 an hour! READ THE fuckING SCRIPTS!

I've also heard not to leave the game in the system but never heard why. I never leave them in there anymore since I had my P2 problem.

It may be just me.... but sometimes this site generates a lot of hostility :evil:

I could see it screwing something up if you left the game in the box while you moved it. But don't see how it could hurt anything if the box is left alone with the game inside. But, I'm no expert.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! :D I used stoneface's suggestion to manually eject Madden 2004 from the Xbox. Then i exchanged it for a new one. I bought a new xbox and pulled a system switch. I got scared because I heard the lady confirming that she would check to serial number to make sure it matched the box. I don't really feel bad for what I did b/c walmart will just send the other xbox back and get most, if not all, of their money back.

oh yeah btw i just picked up Halo at BB the other day for $15 with GGC. It's a great game and I can't believe I waited this long to buy it. I know! I'm a true cheapass gamer

[quote name='GundamFan']Thanks to everyone for your advice! :D I used stoneface's suggestion to manually eject Madden 2004 from the Xbox. Then i exchanged it for a new one. I bought a new xbox and pulled a system switch. I got scared because I heard the lady confirming that she would check to serial number to make sure it matched the box. Luckily she was not that intelligent \:D/ I don't really feel bad for what I did b/c walmart will just send the other xbox back and get most, if not all, of their money back.[/quote]

I'm glad you got your game out. But I don't think your system switch is something to be proud about let alone boastful about. It kinda marks you as a dishonest person to other CAG's. This kind of behavior has a name it's called "Consumer Fraud" which by the way is illegal.

I have a young son whom would love to be able to post to these threads and do trades and such with other CAG's but I will not let him. I do not want him reading posts like yours and interpreting behavior like yours as acceptable.

Now mind you this a great site and I have very few complaints but I wish that some people would recognize that there may be impressionable members here before thet go bragging about there ill conceived good fortune at the expense of someone else's misfortune.

Just remember this " The house of deceipt is easily built .... but difficult to live in "

[quote name='GundamFan']Thanks to everyone for your advice! :D I used stoneface's suggestion to manually eject Madden 2004 from the Xbox. Then i exchanged it for a new one. I bought a new xbox and pulled a system switch. I got scared because I heard the lady confirming that she would check to serial number to make sure it matched the box. Luckily she was not that intelligent \:D/ I don't really feel bad for what I did b/c walmart will just send the other xbox back and get most, if not all, of their money back.[/quote]

I remember seeing a post from you in another thread , so I searched it out. It read like this "Dude we are cheap asses but not thieves" :shock: Doh!

Do you really think what you did was not thievery?

I'm really quite appalled.

What do you have to say for yourself?

You should be sent to your room with no videogames and no tv

Wow! :shock:
Shocker! :shock:
Sounds like the stuff my old man would say to me when I was a little snotknocker

[quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='GundamFan']Thanks to everyone for your advice! :D I used stoneface's suggestion to manually eject Madden 2004 from the Xbox. Then i exchanged it for a new one. I bought a new xbox and pulled a system switch. I got scared because I heard the lady confirming that she would check to serial number to make sure it matched the box. Luckily she was not that intelligent \:D/ I don't really feel bad for what I did b/c walmart will just send the other xbox back and get most, if not all, of their money back.[/quote]

I remember seeing a post from you in another thread , so I searched it out. It read like this "Dude we are cheap asses but not thieves" :shock: Doh!

Sounds like the stuff my old man would say to me when I was a little snotknocker[/quote]

First of all how is what I did stealing? Like I said Walmart will return it back to Microsoft and get a refund. Secondly when i posted that we were not thieves was referring to someone that suggested to take a toolbox and try and get a refund though it wasn't even bought. Now I did not try to get a refund from Walmart for something I did not buy so therefore it's a completely different story. Now if I were to do something like take the insides out of the xbox and return it back, THEN that would be stealing.

[quote name='GundamFan'][quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='GundamFan']Thanks to everyone for your advice! :D I used stoneface's suggestion to manually eject Madden 2004 from the Xbox. Then i exchanged it for a new one. I bought a new xbox and pulled a system switch. I got scared because I heard the lady confirming that she would check to serial number to make sure it matched the box. Luckily she was not that intelligent \:D/ I don't really feel bad for what I did b/c walmart will just send the other xbox back and get most, if not all, of their money back.[/quote]

Sounds like the stuff my old man would say to me when I was a little snotknocker[/quote]

First of all how is what I did stealing? Like I said Walmart will return it back to Microsoft and get a refund. Secondly when i posted that we were not thieves was referring to someone that suggested to take a toolbox and try and get a refund though it wasn't even bought. Now I did not try to get a refund from Walmart for something I did not buy so therefore it's a completely different story. Now if I were to do something like take the insides out of the xbox and return it back, THEN that would be stealing.[/quote]

I agree with your logic and it is true. They will just send it back to the manufacturer as RGD(return goods damaged) and they just get a credit back on their account. I don't see much wrong with it but I wouldn't post it on these boards as the vast majority of people here are on very high moral horses.

[quote name='snotknocker']
Now mind you this a great site and I have very few complaints but I wish that some people would recognize that there may be impressionable members here before thet go bragging about there ill conceived good fortune at the expense of someone else's misfortune.

Just remember this " The house of deceipt is easily built .... but difficult to live in "[/quote]

I agree. That's pretty deep snotknocker. The point of the matter isn't whether there's money lost but taking responsibility and staying somewhat honest. I'm not judging anyone or saying its wrong --it's just that accepting such things as right is a slippery slope for others to rip people off.

There are CAGs on here who would argue until they're blue in the face about morals on this board. Personally I wouldn't, but I see at least they're trying to keep some standards in this community, and keep it from degenerating into Gamefaqs or at worst a grade school playground.

Considering snotknocker has already handled this one so well, I'll just make an appearance... I'll just ride up on my moral high horse, wave my white cowboy hat around, and then turn around and ride off into the sunset.

Was kinda hoping to keep this thread going. I'd like to get some additional feedback. This kind of thing is a little irritating to me.

Alright I fixed my post to make it look like I am not bragging (although i wasn't in the first place). In addition, I never praised what I did or said I was proud. I had just stated that I did not feel bad. When you talk about everyone having high morals what about those that take advantage of inept cashiers to get deals? Are they not praised for being lucky by their fellow peers?

What you did was wrong and I bet with a little call and complaining to microsoft they would have fixed it

If you had originally bought the xbox at walmart it still would have been bad but just not as bad.

[quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='GundamFan']Thanks to everyone for your advice! :D I used stoneface's suggestion to manually eject Madden 2004 from the Xbox. Then i exchanged it for a new one. I bought a new xbox and pulled a system switch. I got scared because I heard the lady confirming that she would check to serial number to make sure it matched the box. Luckily she was not that intelligent \:D/ I don't really feel bad for what I did b/c walmart will just send the other xbox back and get most, if not all, of their money back.[/quote]

hahaha...glad my quote has gone far :)

For my 100th post I will use some of my philosophy major (which is now 16 years old...GOOD LORD, I've been out of college for that long...)

Okay, one issue is whether or not what he did was theivery...well it's obviously not theivery in the traditional sense. The second issue is what recourse did he have. Should he be responsible for a faulty system regardless of the warranty. In all seriousness, the xbox warranty is 90 days, even something put together with toothpicks and bubble gum would hold together that long. The consumer is often screwed by big business and left with little recourse but to pay way way too much to get something repaired, or resort to something slightly underhanded.

I feared I was in a similar predicament when last night my xbox suddenly would not read ANY discs. No games, no dvds, no cds...nothing. I was sure I would be in for a whopping bill. But after call MS customer service they said "that part is till under warranty" even though I bought my xbox just after the launch date. So, I suppose I'm pleasantly surprised that this result went against my original thoughts.

So, hmmm...maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but this is my 100th post.

There is no amount of reasoning to convince me that it was not wrong. We as consumers wind up paying more for stuff as the result of consumer fraud.

You might think well it's just one instance you've HEARD of but there's probably 50,000 or more instances you have not heard of. This kind of crap is rampant. We all pay in the end!

snotknocker-
We pay ANYWAY. A company should guarantee that its product will work. The end of the story. We shouldn't have 90 days and then have to hold our breath.

The reason that "fraud" is so rampant is because companies provide us with little recourse. They leave the consumer very little choice. If after 90 days something decides to stop working...it shouldn't be the consumers burden to foot the cost of repairs...When the monolithic megacorporations start treating consumers with respect then we will return the favor. We are the individuals NOT the corporations. If I sold something that I knew was shoddy I would be held liable, yet Sony & Microsoft let products out the door that are prone to failures...

Thanks loserboy. It's good to know someone sees from my point of view. Consumers expect the product to be of good quality. What is fraud is how corporations charge exorbitant amounts of money for products while being fully aware of its faults. If I'm gonna throw down $200 dollars for a game system, I expect it to last for at least 5 years or whenever the next system launches.

you'vge got a choice NOT to throw down that $200 for a game system, ya know. The warranty is part of the contract at the point of purchase. Just because you FEEL like you paid so much and think the warranty should be longer or give you more protection, doesn't make it so. Perhaps you should shell out for the extended warranty and stop making yourself feel better for the behaviours you know are wrong.

I'm a newbie to these boards but I'd thought I'd throw in my opinion.

I completely agree with snotknocker - what you did was fraud and illegal in that sense. While I sympathize with the idea that megacorporations should back their products - they don't have to.

If you've ever been to another country you would know that return policies in the US are extraordinarily good for the consumers. You aren't able to return things so easily in other countries even if the stuff is broken. The kind of thing you did makes companies not want to offer return policies at all - which hurts the rest of us.

That said if I were in the same position I might have done the same thing - but you should acknowledge that it's wrong and not try to blame the companies for it.

the best advice to give about dealing with tech support....never tell them you did anything remotely wrong....just keep saying, i dont know what happened....it was fine...now its not....never admit to anything....they'll make up something for anything....ex:

u - "i dont know what happened, the system was on my bureau and then" (cut off)

them - "hold on...it was on ur bureau"?

u - "yes...its been there forever"

them - "dont keep it on ur bureau"

u - "ok, why"

them - "cuz now its gonna cost you $100 to have us fix it"

bread's done
Back