WWE Summer Slam 09 dvd $9.99 @ Kmart B&M

It was actually a decent show too.. Most WWE PPVs have been crappy lately (Don't get me started on Breaking Point) but this was rather entertaining. Of course, I'm a big fan of CM Punk, so him being in the main event helped.

[quote name='TobalRox']It was actually a decent show too.. Most WWE PPVs have been crappy lately (Don't get me started on Breaking Point) but this was rather entertaining. Of course, I'm a big fan of CM Punk, so him being in the main event helped.[/QUOTE]

I've got a little brother that just got into wrestling this past summer. I was thinking of picking him up some DVDs for his birthday, but since I haven't watched it myself for nearly 10 years, I wouldn't know where to begin. Any suggestions?

He's interested in classic wrestling characters as well (1980's), any decent DVDs which feature these guys (aside from the Wrestlemania Anthologies) in classic matches?

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']I've got a little brother that just got into wrestling this past summer. I was thinking of picking him up some DVDs for his birthday, but since I haven't watched it myself for nearly 10 years, I wouldn't know where to begin. Any suggestions?

He's interested in classic wrestling characters as well (1980's), any decent DVDs which feature these guys (aside from the Wrestlemania Anthologies) in classic matches?[/QUOTE]

There are the Summerslam and Royal Rumble Anthologies. The Saturday Night's Main Event DVD has a lot of classic stuff as well. The WCW Starrcade Essential Collection has tons of great WCW matches from the 80s and 90s.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']There are the Summerslam and Royal Rumble Anthologies. The Saturday Night's Main Event DVD has a lot of classic stuff as well. The WCW Starrcade Essential Collection has tons of great WCW matches from the 80s and 90s.[/QUOTE]

There's also the Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80s and the Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 90s releases that are a decent overview. And depending on which characters he likes (like Piper, Hogan, Flair or Savage) there's a bunch of documentary/superstar-specific releases.

Maybe I'll swing by FYE (noticed over the weekend they had a whole section devoted to WWF DVDs) and take note on some titles that look worth it and check them out on eBay.

I'm finding the Wrestlemania Anthologies on eBay for around $25 now. I might even pick myself up one to reminisce on the glory days. Amazon reviews seem alright save for the blatant censorship and dubbing.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']I've got a little brother that just got into wrestling this past summer. I was thinking of picking him up some DVDs for his birthday, but since I haven't watched it myself for nearly 10 years, I wouldn't know where to begin. Any suggestions?

He's interested in classic wrestling characters as well (1980's), any decent DVDs which feature these guys (aside from the Wrestlemania Anthologies) in classic matches?[/QUOTE]

Seems that it's already been answered. There are a ton of great DVDs out there to watch, but I would recomend ordering them from Amazon vs. getting them from FYE since FYE is way overpriced in my experience. Other option is that WWE.com has a "Legacy" section has a ton of video on demand content to watch including full episodes of RAW from the beginning and WWF Superstars (the older show, not current one). They also have different collections and really just a ton of great content. I do not have cable so I cannot compare it to the cable version WWE Classics or 24/7 or whatever they call it now. Also, NetFlix has a ton of the DVDs available to watch.

I also recommend checking out Ring of Honor if he is interested in just some good quality wrestling, but that's not the same as the over-the-top WWF/E style, it's more focused on the wrestling itself than characters and storylines. To me it is a much better product than the current WWE product.

In the end, it comes down to if he just wants to watch for fun, or does he want to "keep up" with what's current. Either way, I will gladly help out in any way I can as I keep up with everything I can (I watch all WWE shows, TNA, and Ring of Honor... as well as some other indy stuff if I can) and watch the classic DVDs and On Demand stuff. Feel free to ask away :)

Buy the Randy Savage DVD set, the greatest compilation WWE Home Video has done yet. One viewing and you'll truly realize how awful modern wrestling (especially the WWE) has become and how much of a genius Savage was/is.

I saw someone mentioned FYE being overpriced and I would agree, but their deals make them worth a stop for anyone looking for wrestling DVDS, especially older ones.

Also, the WWE's shop isn't bad if you have enough stuff to qualify for free shipping. Recently I ordered from there and there was a free DVD promo so I managed to get the Legends of Wrestling set and free shipping. Plenty of clearance DVDs on there.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']I saw someone mentioned FYE being overpriced and I would agree, but their deals make them worth a stop for anyone looking for wrestling DVDS, especially older ones.

Also, the WWE's shop isn't bad if you have enough stuff to qualify for free shipping. Recently I ordered from there and there was a free DVD promo so I managed to get the Legends of Wrestling set and free shipping. Plenty of clearance DVDs on there.[/QUOTE]

Was it you from the wrestling thread that said WWE only shipped part of your order and acted like they would only send the rest as a one time courtesy?

bread's done
Back