X-Box LIVE hook-up question

SneakyPenguin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Well, I'm finally getting LIVE, but I do have one question about hooking it up. I can't run a wire over to my X-Box, as it's too far from anything else, butI was wondering, could I use this router, and run a cord from it to my X-box? I already have one of those routers sending the signal from one PC to the other, and was wondering if I could just add another in for LIVE. I'd rather not spend 100 on the X-Box wireless bridge thing.

[quote name='velvetrevolver210']I would recommend buying the Linksys Wireless gaming adapter. It works great, there is no setup, and it's only about 60 bucks...[/QUOTE]

Yea, I know that's best, but my solution is only 20 bucks after rebates.

Are you saying: use the router in your OP to wirelessly connect to the other wireless router you already have? And use the new router to connect to your Xbox?

It should work, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't.

Also, what do you plan on playing? I imagine Halo is out of the question. ;)

I've had bad problems with D-Link and their tech support. Just as a personal warning. Other people have had no issues with their stuff.

[quote name='Ledhed']Are you saying: use the router in your OP to wirelessly connect to the other wireless router you already have? And use the new router to connect to your Xbox?

It should work, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't.

Also, what do you plan on playing? I imagine Halo is out of the question. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yea, pretty much. X-box will go through new router, which bridges to old router, whichhas direct internet from the modem.

And I'm getting LIVE near exclusively for Conker. I don't care what the reviews say, multiplayer was god on the N64, so I just want more. (Plus, I finally played Halo 2, so now my opinion has some backing at least)

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Yea, pretty much. X-box will go through new router, which bridges to old router, whichhas direct internet from the modem.

And I'm getting LIVE near exclusively for Conker. I don't care what the reviews say, multiplayer was god on the N64, so I just want more. (Plus, I finally played Halo 2, so now my opinion has some backing at least)[/QUOTE]

Bridging one router to another? What's the brand of the other router?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Can't you just get a longer ethernet cable?[/QUOTE]

I would, but that would entail having a cord stretching across the hallway, where my accident prone spaz of a granny is always walking. So cords are a no no.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Exact same make and model.[/QUOTE]

As long as AP Client mode can be set up on that router, where the router acts like a wireless client to the other router, and you turn off the routing functions on the new router, then yes, it'll work.

In theory.

[quote name='shrike4242']As long as AP Client mode can be set up on that router, where the router acts like a wireless client to the other router, and you turn off the routing functions on the new router, then yes, it'll work.

In theory.[/QUOTE]

I understood like one word of that. And it was "the".

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I understood like one word of that. And it was "the".[/QUOTE]

Having a router attached to another router tends to be more trouble that it's worth, since they're both trying to do the same thing, route public Internet traffic to private devices on the inside of the router. Most home routers aren't smart enough to do much more than that, so when you have one that's hanging off another one like a PC, you run into some issues. To get around this, you need to turn off the routing functions on the second router.

AP Client mode is a mode that Dlink devices use when they're bridging devices from one network to another. I know their wireless access points (router - routing capabilities) have that functionality, though I'm not sure if their router does. The manual (which you can pull down from their site) will tell you, as will their router simulator, which is on their website in the support section.

I've tried do the same thing you're doing, get device(s) in one area to talk with a router in another area wireless, with D-Link equipment. And I spent 6 months doing it and it was a colossal failure, because I had equipment that said it would do it and it couldn't. I'll never use D-Link equipment again because of it.

The easiest and simplest thing to get, if you're only going to attach one device (your Xbox) wirelessly to your router, would be the Wireless Game Adapter. It's a single-device bridge, designed to hook one device (attached to it via Ethernet) to a wireless network by bridging the two types of devices together. Microsoft's would work, though it'll be more expensive than the D-Link device. Since you have the DI-524, get this little device:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=333

I don't think it will work.

Is it possible to move your router/modem to your Xbox and buy a cheap wireless USB adapter for your PC?

This is what I do and its a cheap ass solution that works!

[quote name='shrike4242']Having a router attached to another router tends to be more trouble that it's worth, since they're both trying to do the same thing, route public Internet traffic to private devices on the inside of the router. Most home routers aren't smart enough to do much more than that, so when you have one that's hanging off another one like a PC, you run into some issues. To get around this, you need to turn off the routing functions on the second router.

AP Client mode is a mode that Dlink devices use when they're bridging devices from one network to another. I know their wireless access points (router - routing capabilities) have that functionality, though I'm not sure if their router does. The manual (which you can pull down from their site) will tell you, as will their router simulator, which is on their website in the support section.

I've tried do the same thing you're doing, get device(s) in one area to talk with a router in another area wireless, with D-Link equipment. And I spent 6 months doing it and it was a colossal failure, because I had equipment that said it would do it and it couldn't. I'll never use D-Link equipment again because of it.

The easiest and simplest thing to get, if you're only going to attach one device (your Xbox) wirelessly to your router, would be the Wireless Game Adapter. It's a single-device bridge, designed to hook one device (attached to it via Ethernet) to a wireless network by bridging the two types of devices together. Microsoft's would work, though it'll be more expensive than the D-Link device. Since you have the DI-524, get this little device:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=333[/QUOTE]

Hmm, actually makes sense. I think I will just get either this single gateway or the other one, as it seems a whole lot fucking easier. Thanks.

What you need to get is an wireless ethernet hub (bridge).

Xbox.com suggests either of the following:

Linksys WET11

or

DLink DWL-810+

These are a little pricey but I'm sure someone could locate them for a cheaper price if you did a little research. These cost about the same amount as a USB hub.

[quote name='flybrione']What you need to get is an wireless ethernet hub (bridge).

Xbox.com suggests either of the following:

Linksys WET11

or

DLink DWL-810+

These are a little pricey but I'm sure someone could locate them for a cheaper price if you did a little research. These cost about the same amount as a USB hub.[/QUOTE]

I'd stick to the D-Link equipment for compatibility purposes, though the DWL-810+ is discontinued product. It'll work, and any subsequent device DWL-820, DWL-G820, they'll work as well.

Well, I decided to hold off on getting LIVE until I move (and can easily do a direct wire), as it would have been at least 140 bucks to do it today. Thanks for all the help though.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Well, I decided to hold off on getting LIVE until I move (and can easily do a direct wire), as it would have been at least 140 bucks to do it today. Thanks for all the help though.[/QUOTE]

When you get moved and if you need more help, happy to provide assistance. :D

In order to connect one wireless router to another wirelessly...they both have to support WDS bridging.

If you are not sure if they support it, do a quick google hunt for WDS and the router model and you will probably be able to find information. It should also be listed in the router's features at the web site.

It doesn't look like that model supports it.

I have 2 wireless Belkin F5D7230-4 routers working for my Xbox live, they are available cheap. But some revisions of it (revision 1444) had a problem with packet-drops on non-Windows based OS stuff. So it dropped packets with like ReplayTVs and stuff (shouldn't affect Xboxes I assume, as they are Windows based).

Here's a topic on the very useful dslreports forum about the DI-524 and bridging...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13377746?hilite=di-524+wds

Plus, to make it worse, I guess that WDS isn't standardized enough...so WDS bridging between 2 different brands of routers may or may not work.

So, in summary, you need:
1) 2 (most likely the same brand) routers with WDS support
2) And some configuration will be necessary.

I went with 2 bridged routers because I wanted to be able to hook up more stuff than just the Xbox, eventually.

bread's done
Back