X-Men Origins Wolverine 65$

This is a rental game if you want to play it right away, otherwise wait til July/August and it will be $29.99, even less once the DVD drops

[quote name='saiftk']Who would pay 65$ for a movie based game?
Jesus.[/quote]

Nope, I don't think Jesus would even pay that much for this game.

[quote name='NoName#1']Nope, I don't think Jesus would even pay that much for this game.[/quote]

I've got a fully paid pre-order for it at 69.99 so SOME people will.

Don't be too quick to denounce it as just another crappy movie game. The game was in development a year before the Wolverine movie even started shooting. The movie story was integrated into the original story they had written later.

And it's rated M.

Blood, guts, body part removal, all that good stuff is in it.

It's going to be good. Trust.

Really? Because the commercials, which I imagine would try to accentuate the positives, look terrible.

this game has hype, at least in some gaming community.

but i predict this will be another rushed, movie based games, which you know it sucks.

statas quo i guess...

Well, as long as movie tie-ins make money game developers will continue to put forth sub-par efforts. Who remembers Enter the Matrix?

I think the only good movie tie-in game I remember is Chronicles of Riddick, and I don't think that followed the movie storyline.

Possibly the worst deal I've seen on this site... (no offense to OP)
Can anyone remember a worse one?

[quote name='djsaiyan']I've got a fully paid pre-order for it at 69.99 so SOME people will.

Don't be too quick to denounce it as just another crappy movie game. The game was in development a year before the Wolverine movie even started shooting. The movie story was integrated into the original story they had written later.

And it's rated M.

Blood, guts, body part removal, all that good stuff is in it.

It's going to be good. Trust.[/QUOTE]

"Honest guys, I know the previous 9,351,572,672 movie games were all rubbish despite our promises they'd be different, but *THIS* one is gonna be different! For serious!"

I was really interested in this game, but the closer it gets to release the less interested i get. yeah, i know it was being made before the movie, and that they had an extra year to polish it, but with the developers hyping it up so much, it makes me suspicious....i might have to pass this one up until it goes on sale and wait to get the new batman or ghostbusters game instead.

I used to be a huge wolverine fan, had the whole series til i sold them about 8 years ago, so i'm really hoping this turns out well. (and i wish i still had those comics so i could sell them now lol)

Welp, since it looks like I'm the only one buying it, I'll let you guys know how it is on the weekend.

Probably Sunday, I have plans Friday night and Saturday during the day

I'm not planning to get this game, but it's getting good previews. The devs have said it was in development before they decided to tie it to the movie. The formula "Movie game = crap" may not apply here.

I know the game is based off a movie, but I wish they made Wolverine look more like Wolverine in this game rather then an actor trying to look like Wolverine.

I played a bit of the Wii version and I wasn't impressed. There are too many pits you fall in and as soon as you do the GAME OVER screen comes up so fast.
There were also areas where you'd clear out 5 - 6 bad guys on a screen, but then they just kept spawning in up to 30 of them and you start thinking, um is this ever going to end?

The WORST part is you have to shake the Wii remote to lunge to things (big jumps) and half the time it doesn't register and you fall to your death. Also, you can't just lunge anywhere you have to press + in a lunge area to start the lunging sequence.

Otherwise, the fighting is pretty fun, but they recycle voice clips over and over. In an area where you fight up to 30 people, you can bet to hear the ememy say "Ow, I'm sorry, I'M SORRY!" about 8 - 10 times.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']I know the game is based off a movie, but I wish they made Wolverine look more like Wolverine in this game rather then an actor trying to look like Wolverine.

I played a bit of the Wii version and I wasn't impressed. There are too many pits you fall in and as soon as you do the GAME OVER screen comes up so fast.
There were also areas where you'd clear out 5 - 6 bad guys on a screen, but then they just kept spawning in up to 30 of them and you start thinking, um is this ever going to end?

The WORST part is you have to shake the Wii remote to lunge to things (big jumps) and half the time it doesn't register and you fall to your death. Also, you can't just lunge anywhere you have to press + in a lunge area to start the lunging sequence.

Otherwise, the fighting is pretty fun, but they recycle voice clips over and over. In an area where you fight up to 30 people, you can bet to hear the ememy say "Ow, I'm sorry, I'M SORRY!" about 8 - 10 times.[/quote]

You realize since you're playing it before the game is out it's probably not the final retail version, right?

Besides the Wii/PS2/PSP versions weren't developed by Raven, they're not the good bloody ultra violent version. Boo that.

Also the same guys who made Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Hexen, and a bunch of other quality games.

The first reviews are starting to trickle in. IGN AU gave it a 6.9, but their talking points don't justify the score. Sounds like a mid 7 to me, which to me is worth my money.

[quote name='djsaiyan']You realize since you're playing it before the game is out it's probably not the final retail version, right?

Besides the Wii/PS2/PSP versions weren't developed by Raven, they're not the good bloody ultra violent version. Boo that.[/quote]

I agree, I've seen some PS3/360 footage and was blown away! Didn't look at all like the same game.

The Wii version I played is the final version. I managed to get my sticky hands on an early copy... Well, not THAT early, 3 days. :lol:

IGN also gave Spider-Man: Web of Shadows a 5.7 (360) and I really enjoyed that game. Maybe it's because I'm a Marvel fan, but as with Spidey, this Wolverine game (only talking 360/PS3 here) looks really fun.

Not to mention I wasn't expecting all the gorey bits of the game, kinda caught me off guard when Wolvie was ripping guys in half.

Check out this random person's video review to get an idea of what the game is really like. May contain spoilers and irritating music to some:

Video Review

[quote name='Rex']IGN also gave Spider-Man: Web of Shadows a 5.7 (360) and I really enjoyed that game. Maybe it's because I'm a Marvel fan, but as with Spidey, this Wolverine game (only talking 360/PS3 here) looks really fun.
[/quote]

I also really, really liked Web of Shadows

Granted I'm also a huge Marvel fan (the amount I spend on comics every week could probably feed whole third world countries for a month), but still. I don't look at games through rose tinted glasses. If it sucks, it sucks. And Web of Shadows certainly didn't suck.

I've clocked about 90 minutes of play thus far.

While I'll admit it's by no means as good as it was hyped up to be (what game ever is?), it's by no means a bad game.

Combat is a lot of fun and doesn't really get repetitive, the graphics are nice, the gore is....not as plentiful as I was expecting (except in the cutscenes, they're gory as hell). Controls are tight and fast (somewhere between DMC and Ninja Gaiden Sigma in terms of speed) and Hugh Jackman's voice acting is stellar.

I've only encountered one minor glitch (by no means game breaking, the blood was inexplicably the wrong colour exactly once). Nothing that will take away from your enjoyment of the game.

One last thing, it's HARD. You need to pick up blocking and countering quickly, or you'll find yourself running away to regain your health a LOT (especially during the first Sabretooth boss fight).

It's not Ninja Gaiden hard, but it's definitely up there until you get the hang of the block/counter system.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. I'd give it a 4/5 so far.

Btw EB Games does have the Gamestop exclusive challenge map, and it's not pre-order exclusive. They had a nice little stack of the cards behind the counter.

Oh, and the lunge move? AWESOME. Diving across the screen and jamming your claws into somebody is hella satisfying.

Alright, my last word on this game.

It's fun as hell, and I really like it, but there are some glaring development errors that severely affect the replay value.

I've now played through the entire game start to finish once, on normal difficulty (took approximately 13 hours)

I've unlocked everything there is to be unlocked.

I've got all but 7 of the trophies (and I haven't even been trophy whoring).

I've done everything there is to do in the Weapon X Arena (the ladder challenge isn't all that hard if you've played through the whole game when you attempt it).

With the exception of using the Repeat Mission feature a few times to polish off the trophies and then one more playthrough on Hard I've got absolutely no reason to keep playing this game. At this rate I'll be completely done with it by Tuesday.

They really should've added some additional unlockables, or made some of the trophies harder to get. Something, ANYTHING!

Granted it's a really fun game and I'm sure at some point I'll probably want to play it through again just to re-experience the joys of completely and utterly dismembering everything in sight, but as of right now I think I'll probably wind up trading it in.

My advice is to rent it, or buy it when it eventually drops in price. Four days of amusement doesn't justify a $70 (or $65 if you use the deal in this thread) price point.

bread's done
Back