X360 Refurb advice?

PogoOfGo

CAG Veteran
Hi folks,

I am looking to replace my X360, which basically died trying to run LA Noire. I'm talking I played it, got red rings, weird graphical errors... it's basically all kinds of broken.

Anyway I'm looking for a deal in the $100-150 range. I'm not under warranty, so I'd pay MS that anyways. I don't see any big deals happening this week, so I'm considering just buying a refurbished one.

I was thinking of getting Bestbuy's $129 Arcade refurb, but does anyone know if the Arcade models are having trouble with newer games like LA Noire? I'd hate to buy something older and then it still can't play games.

If anyone has a suggestion on a good deal or reliable model, I'm all ears. Thanks very much for reading!

[quote name='PogoOfGo']Hi folks,

I am looking to replace my X360, which basically died trying to run LA Noire. I'm talking I played it, got red rings, weird graphical errors... it's basically all kinds of broken.

Anyway I'm looking for a deal in the $100-150 range. I'm not under warranty, so I'd pay MS that anyways. I don't see any big deals happening this week, so I'm considering just buying a refurbished one.

I was thinking of getting Bestbuy's $129 Arcade refurb, but does anyone know if the Arcade models are having trouble with newer games like LA Noire? I'd hate to buy something older and then it still can't play games.

If anyone has a suggestion on a good deal or reliable model, I'm all ears. Thanks very much for reading![/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that man. I'd recommend this $99 bundle from GS. http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/huge-xbox-savings/ Comes with a 20 gb hdd, headset, and hd component cables. Also a 90 day MS refurbished warranty.

In my opinion, and a humble one at that, there are no reliable refurbished Xboxes. I think if you're paying $150 for a refurbished one, you might as well pay $200 for a brand new one. A fat 360 is going to fail soon, anyway, and a refurbished one has possibly failed once already. I saw a guy once at Gamestop who was returning his fifth refurbished console. I think at that point, I'd pay the extra $50 for the sheer hassle.

Do not buy anything less than the S-model xbox, or xbox slim as it is called.
I work for an Xbox marketing team, and after 9 months, I've never had any in-store complaints or returns for the S-model. I saw this past week some retailers were giving away a 70 dollar gift card with purchase of a new xbox, best I've seen so far.

The arcade model of xbox you are talking about was an original launch build for 2007.
Any arcade you buy is over 4 years old lol.

Another thing to consider, is L.A. Noire prolly overworked your old xbox to death because of the overheating issue found in all xbox models up until the Elite which came out 2009. Airflow is definitely improved in the S-models.

Wow, thanks very much for all the replies!

I'll take a closer look for deals on s models. I probably would not do a local repair since more is going on than just red rings. Going the s-model route is going to be tricky... I have to move save data from the old hard drive, plus my gamer tag and a few good game saves are on a memory card (I don't recall there being an external reader like Sony did with the old ps2 cards). It's a couple of hoops to jump through but not much trouble.

In case I do end up with an older refurb, does anyone know if it gets a MS warranty. I guess I could try buying a store warranty but that would probably pump the price back up a bit.

Thanks again and happy weekend!

[quote name='PogoOfGo']Wow, thanks very much for all the replies!

I'll take a closer look for deals on s models. I probably would not do a local repair since more is going on than just red rings. Going the s-model route is going to be tricky... I have to move save data from the old hard drive, plus my gamer tag and a few good game saves are on a memory card (I don't recall there being an external reader like Sony did with the old ps2 cards). It's a couple of hoops to jump through but not much trouble.

In case I do end up with an older refurb, does anyone know if it gets a MS warranty. I guess I could try buying a store warranty but that would probably pump the price back up a bit.

Thanks again and happy weekend![/QUOTE]
If you want a warranty with a refurb unit, you have to ask the individual store you purchased from.
It all depends on who did the refurbishing. If it was Microsoft, then you get one year. However, not all used units you see in stores are from Microsoft Repairs. Ask the MANAGER of the store, or the MANAGER of the department, to see where the unit came from, don't bother asking sales associates because they are probably not going to know.

Probably 30-40% of the units I deal with at Bestbuy are Microsoft certified refurbished. I also know bestbuy has a warranty included upon purchase, but I cannot remember the duration or terms off hand.

Also you can still use memory cards on xbox S

You can use a transfer cable to transfer the files from your old harddrive to a new xbox slim. You can also disasemble the old hard drive and fit it in the xbox 360 slim.
You can also make your old xbox work for a little while using the toothpick trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv6XNQpCRjk

You might be able to get a refurbished xbox slim for less than 150 usd with gamestop after trading your old xbox, just don't break the seal on the old one.

bread's done
Back