XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

7/2 - 7/8 ... Borderlands DLC

7/9 - 7/15 ... Dishonored and Metal Gear Rising DLC and More

• Dishonored Games on Demand - Price Unknown
    DLC - The Knife of Dunwall - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Dunwall City Trials - 200 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Void Walkers Arsenal - 160 MSP (50% off)

[*]Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC
  • Jetstream - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • Raiden Custom Body - 80 MSP (50% off)
  • Bladewolf  - 320 MSP (43% off)

[*]XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 400 MSP (50% off)

• Confirmed as future free games: Halo 3

Sales & Specials: Open to Everyone!
NOTE ... if the start & end dates are not well-defined, ACT FAST! since these
"sales" could end anytime. However, they may also be permanent markdowns.

Ultimate Game One Day Sales:

7/2 ... Day One:

7/3 ... Day Two:

7/4 ... Day Three:

7/5 ... Day Four: (will last through 7/7)

7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Kinect Central sales

7/2 - ??? ... Unannounced Rocksmith DLC Markdowns

7/2 - ??? ... Other Unannounced Markdowns

7/2 - 7/8 ... Robocop and Fast and Furious Avatar Sale

• Please check the avatar store on your Xbox 360 for more information

7/9 - 7/15 ... Just Dance 4

• Price and content unknown

Monthly Marketplace Markdowns
Announced ... as confirmed on the Xbox 360's own dashboard, or corroborated from other sources (PSN, dev/pub, etc).

Unannounced ... from Xbox.com scrapes. *These may or may not be permanent, so judge accordingly.

Unannounced Price Drops for July:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cancerman1120']Question: Are you considering buying 3 games for 480 points just for the easy 1200 points?
Answer: Yes I am and the CAG in me is sad but the achievement collector in me is smiling.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about doing the same.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']So what do you do in CoD when you run into someone who wrecks you? Or better yet, an entire team that shuts down your team? Do you just quit and give up? I mean CoD is a very competitve game (as in lots of people play it and take it seriously) this had to have happened to you a few times.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really work that way, since CoD is a different type of game. Putting aside the fact that it's a braindead game made for monkeys, the large amount of players on a single map means that a player can lose a game, but still feel good about getting a positive K/D ratio, and vice versa. And if neither happen, you can at least console yourself by noting that you weren't the worst player in the match. And if you are, well, odds are you won't be next game. And even if you are, you can at least get kills here and there by spamming grenades or something.

With fighting games, it's just you and your opponent. You have nothing to feel good about if you can't win, except maybe winning a round here and there. It's pretty disheartening for a new player, so it's understandable why one would quit before mastering the systems to a great enough extent to stop playing like a retard (something that a CoD player never needs to do).

[quote name='gldoorii']So, people just bought Virtua Fighter 5 during the GoD sale for $5 and now this week the upgraded version is on sale for the same price... They sure gave people a slap in the face with that one. Does it at least come with a free gamer pic of Micro$oft giving them the finger?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='ooga']Anyone who checks this thread shouldn't feel like they got slapped in the face. If anything they should be getting a kick in the ass. Seriously, get with the program.[/QUOTE]
You guys realize not everyone has Gold right?

[quote name='simmias']Anyone have an opinion on the Karateka remake? I'm reading not-so-positive reviews on metacritic from people who sound like they played the original and find this version lacking, but I'd love a CAG opinion. I kind of feel like I should buy it, though... if only because 10-year old me pirated it back in the day.[/QUOTE]

Well the demo was a big pile of poop. They turned a brilliant title from the formative years of gaming into a silly rhythm game, imho. It felt like a quick cash in on retro name recognition.

[quote name='airco']It doesn't really work that way, since CoD is a different type of game. Putting aside the fact that it's a braindead game made for monkeys, the large amount of players on a single map means that a player can lose a game, but still feel good about getting a positive K/D ratio, and vice versa. And if neither happen, you can at least console yourself by noting that you weren't the worst player in the match. And if you are, well, odds are you won't be next game. And even if you are, you can at least get kills here and there by spamming grenades or something.

With fighting games, it's just you and your opponent. You have nothing to feel good about if you can't win, except maybe winning a round here and there. It's pretty disheartening for a new player, so it's understandable why one would quit before mastering the systems to a great enough extent to stop playing like a retard (something that a CoD player never needs to do).[/QUOTE]

yep this

that and the skill gap between a fighting veteran that plays that game 12 hours a day is extremely wide and can rarely be closed unless you two play 12 hours a day. with COD the skill gap comes to map memorization not actually being better. although being better helps the skill gap between a noob at COD and a veteran is far lower and closed far easier.

maybe if i played only fighting games i'd be a vet but i don't.

[quote name='airco']It doesn't really work that way, since CoD is a different type of game. Putting aside the fact that it's a braindead game made for monkeys, the large amount of players on a single map means that a player can lose a game, but still feel good about getting a positive K/D ratio, and vice versa. And if neither happen, you can at least console yourself by noting that you weren't the worst player in the match. And if you are, well, odds are you won't be next game. And even if you are, you can at least get kills here and there by spamming grenades or something.

With fighting games, it's just you and your opponent. You have nothing to feel good about if you can't win, except maybe winning a round here and there. It's pretty disheartening for a new player, so it's understandable why one would quit before mastering the systems to a great enough extent to stop playing like a retard (something that a CoD player never needs to do).[/QUOTE]
A game made for monkeys....you realize you are proud about devoting entirely too much time to perfecting (fighting) video games right? :drool:

I picked up all 3 Model 2 games in a heartbeat, hell I'd considered buying them at launch price so this was a no-brainer. I mean can you really do better for only $6? Imagine being able to buy a disc version for $6 in a store, it'd be quite the steal. They're 3 semi-solid fighting games, Sonic's novelty makes it worth $2 easy and the other 2 are good fighters for their time and part of fighting game history. The extra 1200 GS is only the icing on the cake, lol, other than last week's GoD sale, I haven't really seen a 1k GS game go for such a low price, nevermind 1200 GS worth.

Anyways, what ever happened the Gold Family Deal? And for some reason even though I'm a Gold Family member (above 18 no less), XBL Rewards doesn't consider me gold? I can access the DotW just fine.

Really killed my wallet this past week between the last two days of the GoD mega sale, the Gears 3 Season Pass, and this stuff, kinda glad S&S took a break this week, bought BCR last week.

I think it's interesting that they price dropped the GRID DLC (the only one), probably would have been better to do last week, but maybe enough people bought GRID that they figured it was worth reducing. It's a good game easily worth the $5 so I'm not complaining in the slightest.

As much as I like to think Microsoft is generally the devil in regards to XBLA, these past billion DotWs or so have made me think that maybe they actually got the message to stop rehashing old sales. There hasn't been a repeat really in a long while, and a lot of the DotWs are recent games/games never put on sale before. That list that tylerh has has just been getting smaller and smaller, I think. So between that & this GoD sale, kudos Microsoft.

Edit: Yeah, I bought everything in the DotW 'cept for VF5: FS cause I already got it. And as for the VF5 vanilla vs. VF5: FS, if they're both $5 each with different GS/achievement lists, why not get both? That's what I did personally. Best of both worlds.

Stoked about NiGHTS dropping to 400 points already. I almost bought it a few times; glad I held out. Was one of the few who enjoyed the Wii game. Looks like the sale price hasn't updated yet, though.

EDIT: Whoops, it's a gold-only deal. I had not logged in to the website yet.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Stoked about NiGHTS dropping to 400 points already. I almost bought it a few times; glad I held out. Was one of the few who enjoyed the Wii game. Looks like the sale price hasn't updated yet, though.[/QUOTE]

The original Saturn version (Which this is based off) is ten fold the game the Wii sequel was. It along with Christmas NiGHTS are a bit reason my Saturn is still plugged in.

[quote name='irafreak']A game made for monkeys....you realize you are proud about devoting entirely too much time to perfecting (fighting) video games right? :drool:[/QUOTE]
I'd rather be good at a game that takes skill than one that doesn't. It's a matter of self respect.
Not that I claim to be perfect. I'm honestly pretty ass at fighters, but I like to try.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Stoked about NiGHTS dropping to 400 points already. I almost bought it a few times; glad I held out. Was one of the few who enjoyed the Wii game.[/QUOTE]

BROTHER!
I consider JoD good in the same sense that I consider Sonic Adventure 2 good - it's an amazing game if you ignore all the bad parts about it. I plan on playing the PC port of this NiGHTS, though, since it was the same price on Amazon.

I'm in for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD for 10 bucks. Even though my wallet and instore credit has been drained from the Ultimate Game Sale. I'll wait until the weekend to get it

[quote name='simmias']Anyone have an opinion on the Karateka remake? I'm reading not-so-positive reviews on metacritic from people who sound like they played the original and find this version lacking, but I'd love a CAG opinion. I kind of feel like I should buy it, though... if only because 10-year old me pirated it back in the day.[/QUOTE]

In a just world, people would buy the game just for its commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDy-CSFsPs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The game comes from a simpler time. It's decried for being under an hour. You have to save a princess and the hero you start with is her true love. But it's very unlikely that you will finish the game with him because if he dies at any point of the game, you play as a different suitor, who is a little bit stronger. If that one dies, you play as a third suitor, but by that point, the princess won't be happy to see you. (If you've played the original, you'll be disappointed to know that you can't approach her in karate stance for a swift end.)

The point of the game is to see it to the end with the true hero. For that reason, most people aren't going to like this game. The game plays like a cross between Punch-Out! and a rhythm music game. You have to watch and listen for cues because your opponents are tough - any grunt can dispatch you if you slip up even a little bit - and you can only attack when they leave themselves open. Honestly, I think the game would be really frustrating for people who have no musical background - that's how critical your timing is. There is a demo, so try that. If you like it, you'll like this game because it is literally that for the whole game.

I like the game a lot. It is a game of pure skill because there are no power-ups, there is no equipment to enhance your stats, etc. There is an occasional health item and there are checkpoints so you don't have to play the game in one sitting, but I can't think of any other games where beating the game relies solely on skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Bought Sonic the Fighters because I remember playing it at the arcades at Wal-Mart as a kid and enjoying it. Holy shit the camera is fucking atrocious. I Don't know how you fuck up the camera for a fighting game this bad, but Jesus Christ...really?

[quote name='bardockkun']I Bought Sonic the Fighters because I remember playing it at the arcades at Wal-Mart as a kid and enjoying it. Holy shit the camera is fucking atrocious. I Don't know how you fuck up the camera for a fighting game this bad, but Jesus Christ...really?[/QUOTE]
Check the options for the camera settings. This port has some weird over the shoulder view (if this is what you're referring to), but I can't remember if that's set as default or not.

[quote name='simmias']Anyone have an opinion on the Karateka remake? [/QUOTE]
I never played it back in the day, but I found it to be boring, easy, and not worth any money.

:)

[quote name='cancerman1120']Question: Are you considering buying 3 games for 480 points just for the easy 1200 points?
Answer: Yes I am and the CAG in me is sad but the achievement collector in me is smiling.[/QUOTE]
I would have considered purchasing these a couple of years ago, but without knowing if achievements will be transferable to the new system, I'm avoiding paying any money for quick points nowadays.

:)

[quote name='bardockkun']Sonic the Fighters has as much depth and fun as Enter the Matrix's hidden versus mode...[/QUOTE]

Despite that. It does have very easy gamerscore to get though. :)

Any recommendations on the Virtua Figher 2 and Fighting Vipers? I kind of want to get back to the arcade play of 20 years ag when 3D fighting games were actually good.

And would you recommend Virtua Fighter 5? Does it keep true to form unlike the abysmal Tekken releases as of late?

[quote name='Stepith Bloodia']Despite that. It does have very easy gamerscore to get though. :)[/QUOTE]
I Didn't even beat the game and I realized I got 400/400. 160 points makes it easier to not feel totally ripped off, but Jesus this is the laziest lazy man fighter ever.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Bought Sonic the Fighters because I remember playing it at the arcades at Wal-Mart as a kid and enjoying it. Holy shit the camera is fucking atrocious. I Don't know how you fuck up the camera for a fighting game this bad, but Jesus Christ...really?[/QUOTE]

its a sonic staple to mess up the camera. only sonic games can take the simplest things and butcher them with a bad camera

[quote name='nadohawk']Any recommendations on the Virtua Figher 2 and Fighting Vipers? I kind of want to get back to the arcade play of 20 years ag when 3D fighting games were actually good.

And would you recommend Virtua Fighter 5? Does it keep true to form unlike the abysmal Tekken releases as of late?[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend both games. As I really do quite like them. As for VF5, are ya talking about VF5 Final Showdown as that's a pretty damn good game for the money.

I really enjoyed Fighting Vipers on the Saturn, I think. So long ago I can't remember the system it was on. Loved breaking off parts of their armor/clothes. I'm surprised they havne't ported Fighter's Megamix.

[quote name='Gideon68']I really enjoyed Fighting Vipers on the Saturn, I think. So long ago I can't remember the system it was on. Loved breaking off parts of their armor/clothes. I'm surprised they havne't ported Fighter's Megamix.[/QUOTE]

I think it could be ported. Either it's a dream come true or a pipe dream, who knows

I loved fighting vipers when I was a kid, I vaguely remember a stage where you can put someone through a wall or something and I thought that was tits. I loved my Saturn to death. I remember, I think it was GamePro that had ads to mod the Saturn and it listed all the Japanese games you could play and import but my grandma wouldn't let me do it.

[quote name='Stepith Bloodia']I highly recommend both games. As I really do quite like them. As for VF5, are ya talking about VF5 Final Showdown as that's a pretty damn good game for the money.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...got the Virtua Fighter games...I am 20 points short on the other game, so I'll wait for my rewards to post.

[quote name='nadohawk']Thanks...got the Virtua Fighter games...I am 20 points short on the other game, so I'll wait for my rewards to post.[/QUOTE]

Even for 5 bucks, Fighting Vipers is worth it. :)

Assorted thoughts for the evening:

Did whitereflection's post on page 122 break formatting for anyone else? haha.

I would have given more consideration to buying L4D2 for 800 MSP if I had known the used price had gone UP by 10-15 at Lamestop. What the hell is the deal with this? Is this decent title actually that hard to come by?

I'm in for probably all the Sega stuff and possibly Karateka, but I can't decide if I want to spend 800 MSP on Jojo. $20 is disgusting, $10 is tolerable, fighting games beat my ass, fighting games with oddball characters appeal to me... I'll probably wait until the last minute to make my call there.

And are we seriously not getting a new round of scratch 'n match deals?

So consensus seems to be Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2 are worth 160, and Sonic Fighters is pretty gimmicky?

Also, damn that S&S app. Hope this is a fluke and we see an update soon.

[quote name='tylerh1701']So consensus seems to be Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2 are worth 160, and Sonic Fighters is pretty gimmicky?
[/QUOTE]

I would concur with that although at $2, I still think I could get my money's worth out of Sonic Fighters. I mean, it was sort of a rarity because it never got a home console release back when it was at all new.

I'm down for the three $2 games and probably Jojo's (I tried to buy the DC port once back when it was new but the store was sold out that day, they tried to sell me the PSOne port instead; smh)

[quote name='therealdanhill']I loved fighting vipers when I was a kid, I vaguely remember a stage where you can put someone through a wall or something and I thought that was tits. I loved my Saturn to death. I remember, I think it was GamePro that had ads to mod the Saturn and it listed all the Japanese games you could play and import but my grandma wouldn't let me do it.[/QUOTE]
That's basically all the stages...

just try out the demo.

I loved it on my old Atari 1200XL. and the remake was fun. But I gasped at the $10 price for such a small game. At $5, I'll bite.

If you dig into the reviews, the biggest negative was the "value" of the game. For $10, it's not a lot of game and it got slammed for it.

[quote name='tylerh1701']So consensus seems to be Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2 are worth 160, and Sonic Fighters is pretty gimmicky[/QUOTE]

Fighting Vipers is great, and VF2 is great (although it has a sequel that people actually play that is also on sale). Sonic the Fighters actually isn't very gimmicky at all outside of the barrier system. It's pretty much a simplified Virtua Fighter with Sonic characters. Many of them play similar or have the same attack animations, so it's not terribly deep, but it's still loosely based off of VF2's engine, so the core is at least solid.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I can't decide if I want to spend 800 MSP on Jojo. $20 is disgusting, $10 is tolerable, fighting games beat my ass, fighting games with oddball characters appeal to me... I'll probably wait until the last minute to make my call there.[/QUOTE]

Try the game in MAME or something to see if you like it (or the demo). There are a lot of mixed opinions about the game, and I haven't played it enough to really give an honest recommendation. It might not be worth it if you're not a JoJo fan, but that raises the bigger question of "Why the hell aren't you a JoJo fan?".

I see no reason to play VF2 when VF5 FS is available on the same system for about the same price ($5). VF2 feels extremely dated gameplay wise.

[quote name='sweatysides']looks like the sales and specials app no longer exists?[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I hope they didn't pull the plug just because it was janky and didn't work all the time..

I broke down and bought Sonic Fighters and Virtua Fighter 2. I guess I'll at least get some easy gamerscore. I do remember playing Virtua Fighter 2 in the arcade when I was a kid. I'll get Fighting Vipers if I get some more points.

[quote name='VIDEOGAME IGODI']I would have considered purchasing these a couple of years ago, but without knowing if achievements will be transferable to the new system, I'm avoiding paying any money for quick points nowadays.

:)[/QUOTE]

i dont see the achievement system going away anytime soon. Its a huge selling factor for microsoft products. XBox 360, Windows Phone, Windows 8.....all have achievements.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']i dont see the achievement system going away anytime soon. Its a huge selling factor for microsoft products. XBox 360, Windows Phone, Windows 8.....all have achievements.[/QUOTE]
And the fact that people are willing to buy games just for achievements as this thread has proven.

I bought Sonic the Fighters, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, and Nights. I'm still working on my 50% target black friday microsoft points. Once these run out, I will have to think more carefully about my XBLA purchases. I ran out of HDD space a long time ago.

Do you guys use flash drives to store your arcade games? Is there a lag when using them? I'm thinking about getting a couple 32gb flash drives because I'm sick of deleting stuff everytime I download something or want to install a game disc. I've been keeping an excel spreadsheet of all the stuff I'm deleting, while playing that it stays on the xbox live marketplace in case I ever want to download it again.

I don't know much about Jojo or Karateka. Are they worth it at this price for a casual fighter fan? I might wait until they are cheaper or just on sale another again day.

[quote name='bardockkun']And the fact that people are willing to buy games just for achievements as this thread has proven.[/QUOTE]

as has avatar and king kong and hanana montana and damn near every movie disney pixar based game

[quote name='kayne2000']as has avatar and king kong and hanana montana and damn near every movie disney pixar based game[/QUOTE]
And Truth or Lies, can't forget that game.

[quote name='kayne2000']as has avatar and king kong and hanana montana and damn near every movie disney pixar based game[/QUOTE]

I'm actually in the process of playing King Kong right now, and for a movie game, is actually not that bad. Granted, it's funner with cheats enabled and you're killing dinos with a pistol with one hit.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Do you guys use flash drives to store your arcade games? Is there a lag when using them? I'm thinking about getting a couple 32gb flash drives because I'm sick of deleting stuff everytime I download something or want to install a game disc. [/QUOTE]

yeah, I've gone to flash drives as my HDD was filled awhile back. make sure you get fast ones. the slow ones will work (heck, you can bypass the warning screen) but you'll hate life. I tried running just my gamertag profile from a slow flash drive and it took forever. and that was just a profile, not a big-sized game.

with a fast one, it's no problem. it's just ugly having a pair of flash drives hanging off the front end of the 360.

[quote name='bardockkun']And the fact that people are willing to buy games just for achievements as this thread has proven.[/QUOTE]

also, I think Windows 8 is a preview of how the achievements are going to be expanded for the next Xbox. now you have medals and daily challenge badges in addition to the regular achievements.

though I'm confused on the point because you read a medal and it sounds like an achievement. like here's a medal I earned: Won a game of Spider Solitaire by first drawing all of the extra cards before making a move

Anyone else have a habit of just buying ANYTHING on sale for 160 MSP? lol I feel like that's always gonna be worth a full game and grab anything on sale at that price.

I;m considering picking these thre game sup just to easily get my gs above 25,000 so I can hopefully get the 5% rebate on xbox live rewards from all the money I spent on the Ultimate GoD sale.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I;m considering picking these thre game sup just to easily get my gs above 25,000 so I can hopefully get the 5% rebate on xbox live rewards from all the money I spent on the Ultimate GoD sale.[/QUOTE]

Its 2%

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back