XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the USA. This includes the Deal of the Week, KINECT Central sale item(s), and any other 3rd-party sales or promotions. We have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases in the 2nd post. Most sales are for one week. Feel free to post if you see anything not listed here.

Please note:

• All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. Major Nelson usually updates us with new sales information every other Tuesday. When offers are validated by Moderators, it will be added to the OP as time permits.
  • ALL OFFERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! No information within this thread can or should be construed as accurate (or still valid), therefore ...
  • Always verify Xbox Live Marketplace prices before your purchase!
  • Some sales are intended for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY, as noted within each section.
  • Spend wisely, have fun, and enjoy!

7/2 - 7/8 ... Borderlands DLC

7/9 - 7/15 ... Dishonored and Metal Gear Rising DLC and More

• Dishonored Games on Demand - Price Unknown
    DLC - The Knife of Dunwall - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Dunwall City Trials - 200 MSP (50% off)
  • DLC - Void Walkers Arsenal - 160 MSP (50% off)

[*]Metal Gear Rising Revengeance DLC
  • Jetstream - 400 MSP (50% off)
  • Raiden Custom Body - 80 MSP (50% off)
  • Bladewolf  - 320 MSP (43% off)

[*]XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 400 MSP (50% off)

• Confirmed as future free games: Halo 3

Sales & Specials: Open to Everyone!
NOTE ... if the start & end dates are not well-defined, ACT FAST! since these
"sales" could end anytime. However, they may also be permanent markdowns.

Ultimate Game One Day Sales:

7/2 ... Day One:

7/3 ... Day Two:

7/4 ... Day Three:

7/5 ... Day Four: (will last through 7/7)

7/2 - 7/8 ... Ultimate Games Persistent Sales:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Kinect Central sales

7/2 - ??? ... Unannounced Rocksmith DLC Markdowns

7/2 - ??? ... Other Unannounced Markdowns

7/2 - 7/8 ... Robocop and Fast and Furious Avatar Sale

• Please check the avatar store on your Xbox 360 for more information

7/9 - 7/15 ... Just Dance 4

• Price and content unknown

Monthly Marketplace Markdowns
Announced ... as confirmed on the Xbox 360's own dashboard, or corroborated from other sources (PSN, dev/pub, etc).

Unannounced ... from Xbox.com scrapes. *These may or may not be permanent, so judge accordingly.

Unannounced Price Drops for July:

* =  Want to Buy Games On Demand Using Microsoft Points? [customspoiler="GonD with MSP"]
Often overlooked, GoD are by default displayed in dollars both on Xbox.com as well as on the console, but on the very-first confirmation screen of the download process is the option to use Microsoft Points in place of real-world currency.

Through the console, after first selecting to download a GoD you are greeted by a familiar gray confirmation screen that pops up displaying the size of the download as well as confirming the price. At the bottom of this gray pop-up is the instruction to press the "X button" in order to change the payment type to MSP. Pictured below with an arrow:
confirmation.jpg

On Xbox.com they've made it much more obvious, the confirmation "extra step" pop-up after clicking the download link displays a link that simply says "Use Microsoft Points" directly under the price in dollars at the top of the page.

The more you know....[/customspoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ERROR SUCCESS']Looks like a bait n switch on the Skyrim DLC. Just like Max Payne a few weeks ago. Re-check Major Nelson's post.[/QUOTE]
What was the bait, and what was the switch?

But it still sucks that the one good thing for next week is now gone.

[quote name='Stellar Inertia']Im gonna pass on All Zombies Must Die just because it looks like another Zombie Apocalypse game and I don't need anymore of the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Zombie Apocalypse was a fun (if at times monotonous) twin stick shooter. I completed it in less than 24 hours (mostly solo). However, Zombie Apocalypse: Never Die Alone is a totally different animal, made by a totally different production company (and this is not a good thing). The game is relatively easy, however it is broken. If you don't go for ALL the single-player achievements before playing the multiplayer, then ALL your stats are incorrect and you'll never know how far you have to go to get certain number of weapon kills etc. unless you keep playing forever. The game has been released for a long time and no sign of a patch. I knew about this, and did the terrible grind before doing the multiplayer cheevos. Oh, and then ALL the multiplayer co-op matches are REGION LOCKED. There's usually no way to get a full game of four players together from different countries. I tried multiple TA matches and all were fails until all players were from USA. Again, broken game.

So, the two are totally different animals, although they share a common title.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I don't think it's just free time, a lot of people with high gamerscores play lame and easy games intentionally, or just race through games. These aren't real gamers though. I don't ever get the point of playing through a game just to boast about it. It's one thing if someone asks you about a game or difficulty, but to play through literally 100s of games in less than 8 years isn't just weird, it's got to be really unhealthy. And that Stallion guy isn't a real gamer. Racing to get 1,000,000 points...for what? Seriously, I play games and shouldn't judge, but there's literally no reward for that. Not even money, a Guinness World Record, or a Game Informer article that comes across as sad, makes up for how literally worthless that life is. If you're not playing games to have fun...why are you playing games?

I actually played games like Halo 3 and Gears of War to play them. If I got an achievement in Halo 3, it was because it just happened. I'll never get the point of boosting for things like that, when the whole point of the achievement is to achieve it. I've said it before, but I'm convinced I'm the only person to ever legitimately get Save This Film (really it should be called Save This Video). I'm sure it felt much more satisfying and surprising to earn than it would have by having to exploit matchmaking or connection setups, or have people stand still while I kill them. What's the point of achieving something you didn't earn. No one should care about your gamerscore (except Microsoft with that Rewards Program).[/QUOTE]

You had me until the "not a real gamer" part. Who can determine that? Obviously the guy enjoys playing lots of games and unlocking achievements. On some level, there have always been gamers who enjoy completing what would seem to the rest of us to be arbitrary tasks...getting high scores in arcades in the 70s and 80s, maxing out characters/weapons in RPGs, 100% completing GTA games before achievements even existed, etc.

I may not completely understand the amount of time and money investment someone can be willing to make to get to 1,000,000 gamerscore, but that's okay. He enjoys it, and that's what gaming is all about. It's a natural extension of something like what you saw in King of Kong, really. To a certain segment of the population, gaming has always been about getting the highest score.

Now, I don't care a lot about my gamerscore, but I do like unlocking achievements. I will occasionally go out of my way to work towards them, even. To me, it's no different than striving to "beat" a game. It's a satisfying feeling of accomplishment and has nothing to do (at least, for me) with expecting anybody else to be impressed.

[quote name='ERROR SUCCESS']Looks like a bait n switch on the Skyrim DLC. Just like Max Payne a few weeks ago. Re-check Major Nelson's post.[/QUOTE]

Yikes, that sucks. I can understand why they removed the Max Payne sale, but this one makes no sense. Kind of BS, especially considering that our DotW next week consists of probable crappy prices on Oblivion and Skyrim GoD and Oblivion DLC that's been on sale plenty of times already.

[quote name='LordVila']Looks like according to xbldb the lowest Limbo has been is 600 points unless if it was on sale on the S&S app for lower.

Trying to decide if any of the zombie games are worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Limbo has never been below 600.

Er, that's not a "bait and switch".

Still sucks, though. My disappointment at yet another TES sale had been lessened by the chance to get Dragonborn for 800 MSP.

Haters be damned, 480 points is a complete steal for Spelunky. It's been my go to "pick up and play" game since it came out and it's perfect for short sessions. For that reason alone, I hope that a handheld (non-iOS, gotta have buttons for this one) version is released someday.

Just may go down as my favorite XBLA game of all time.

Excellent price on Limbo if you haven't picked it up yet. I also thought it was a tad over-hyped but it's still a good game. I played through the original ZA title and like it well enough for what it was. It's not one I ever went back to play after 100% the achievements but I easily felt I got $5 worth of entertainment from it. The demo for the sequel was enough to make me not purchase it. As others have said it feels quite a bit different from the first. I also found the voice acting extremely obnoxious.

Didn't care too much for the Spelunky demo (I often agree with tylerh's taste in XBLA games), but I might buy it anyways just to experience it. Maybe it will grow on me, I don't know.

[quote name='Mr. Sax Appeal']Well I thought there was nothing for me this week, but on EastX's recommendation I'll try out Zombie Driver HD. I'll pick up the DLC for Zombie Apocalypse 2 also, even though I haven't played the game yet.

All this talk about achievements makes me realize I've never really played with many CAGs, I'll definitely send some requests on TA for those who've registered, and maybe some XBL friend requests also.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the TA friend request. Let us know how you enjoy Zombie Driver, dude. :)

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Didn't care too much for the Spelunky demo (I often agree with tylerh's taste in XBLA games), but I might buy it anyways just to experience it. Maybe it will grow on me, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

That's probably my biggest gripe about the game. I also want to experience the full game, I think it looks awesome and seems to have lots of fun stuff to explore.
Things like the land of gold (or whatever it's called) and hell and the final boss.
But it's was just to frustrating for me to continue. My favorite review of the game, from XBLA Fans, said:

The game has so much to offer but the content is all locked behind its daunting difficulty. The bar is set awfully high for the average gamer to get there [sic] money’s worth here.

I'm really surprised that so many people here have beaten it. I'm not sure if anyone has 400/400 it here. I equate that to the dark world in Super Meat Boy. I applaud those that are good and patient enough to complete it, but that's just not me. If Spelunky ever came out with an easy mode of some kind (even if it disabled achievements) I'd play through it right away, just to experience the full game.

Zombie Apocalypse stinks because while it says that there are dozens of levels, they have a handful of levels that are just recycled over and over again with slightly different goals each time in the campaign.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Didn't care too much for the Spelunky demo (I often agree with tylerh's taste in XBLA games), but I might buy it anyways just to experience it. Maybe it will grow on me, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

do it! do it! do it!

really though, if the difficulty doesn't bother you, you're going to love it. that's the general consensus it seems among most of everyone, to me at least.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']Er, that's not a "bait and switch".

Still sucks, though. My disappointment at yet another TES sale had been lessened by the chance to get Dragonborn for 800 MSP.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was at a loss there. Theoretically though, someone could've bought msp in anticipation of just that sale.

We'll just have to make up a term for it... how about "Majored?"

Man they went and majored that Skyrim sale just like the Max Payne sale...

There was supposed to be a Durango announcement at E3 but it looks like it might be majored...

Spelunky for 480 MS Points is a steal. Everyone who likes video games in general should get it. I bought it day one and it was worth the $15. One of the best games of 2012, in my opinion.

Hopefully a bunch of people buying it will convince Derek Yu to make DLC content for the game whether on XBLA or any other platform it'll be ported on.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']Still sucks, though. My disappointment at yet another TES sale had been lessened by the chance to get Dragonborn for 800 MSP.[/QUOTE]

Well, who knows, maybe we'll get Skyram DLCs discounted through the S&S+ app... at 33% off...

[quote name='crookshow']
Just may go down as my favorite XBLA game of all time.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if i can call it my favourite XBLA title of all time, since there is a lot of good stuff around, but it was my GOTY last year. Nothing even come close. :D

[quote name='tylerh1701']
I'm really surprised that so many people here have beaten it. I'm not sure if anyone has 400/400 it here. [/QUOTE]

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2heg21h.jpg
It's addicting game and many people keep playing it.
I consider myself as a gamer with average skills and was able to 100% it, unlike things like Black Knight Sword, Hard Corps Uprising, Metal Slug 3 etc, which are totally different beasts. Now these are pure hardcore titles. :lol:
With all of this Spelunky talk kinda want to get back to the game and improve some of my scores. Wish i had more free time. :(

[quote name='sicsonic']Oh another thing, I've never regretted any XBLA purchase more then I have ZA2: NDA, and I've bought some other very poorly recieved games (ala Daggerdale, Nexuiz, etc)

Seriously it's months later and I'm still a little annoyed I actually bought NDA. :sigh: Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Everything about this game is completely broken. We didn't even had much fun in co-op. :/

I strongly recommend to buy Spelunky because is an amazing game one of the best of 2012 and for that price (480 MSP) is a steal (and you should be ashamed). Because if there is an arcade game worth full price that's Spelunky.

Every time I hear people complaining about how impossible it is Spelunky make me feel like a super human.

Spelunky isn’t difficult, Super Meat Boy if it is.

It has taken me months to reach that conclusion because at the end the entire majority is reduced to one thing, LEARNING.

The game gives you the freedom to move and go wherever you want. We all suck at our first plays and we underestimate the game and then compared to games of this generation seems difficult for us (one life, no checkpoints), but it is not, the word is demanding but nothing that cannot be fix with a few deaths.

I had not even completed the game after 1000 deaths and now after 1700 I can easily kill the shopkeeper in the second or third level and finish the game easily or even carry the key to the temple.

All this because I learn from the enemies, the reactions that my actions provoke and what do in certain situations.

The game hasn’t changed its dynamics but I do and now I can master it and with little luck I can do almost anything I want.

Spelunky is a charming 2D platformer with solid gameplay, full of secrets and fun. Where apparently only have one life (which has four hearts and which we will lose depending on damage received) to end the game through four scenarios (each consisting of four levels) full of enemies and traps but also treasures and whose main objective is to reach the end of these levels alive.

That's basically the summary of Spelunky but don’t be fooled the game offers much more, levels, enemies, weapons, unlockable characters also open shortcuts to advanced levels without going through the previous and even new mechanics. Always you will find something new (and there are several ways to extend your short life).
Levels increase in size each time until you go up to the next zone and always something to do in them.

I will not lie, you will die an frustrate you a lot but don’t worry because this is where the Spelunky magic comes into action because the levels are randomly generated that means you'll never play the same level twice and this is where you realize it has a infinite replayability since the possibilities are overwhelming.

It also has coop for four people on the same console (which makes the game easier because when a friend lose all their hearts can be revived in the next level) but it will actually have to cooperate, In addition to a death match mode very fun and customizable.

Nice deal on N+, but I sure wish they'd run the DLC level packs on sale sometime. I've been wanting to pick them up for a long time, but 200 points a pop seems pretty steep.

[quote name='akathatoneguy']You had me until the "not a real gamer" part. Who can determine that? Obviously the guy enjoys playing lots of games and unlocking achievements. On some level, there have always been gamers who enjoy completing what would seem to the rest of us to be arbitrary tasks...[/QUOTE]

But they're not gamers.

Off the threads intended topic, so don't click if you're expecting deals.
Gamers are people who genuinely play games, thus the term. The guy who plays endless games for that 1 million score is, like other people on that site, a booster. Booster's don't actually play their games. Boosting is also cheating. People use the term 'boosting' to try and separate it from cheating, so that they don't feel guilty for it. When you boost, do you need to kick people to hold a lobby? Do you need other players to stand still and/or not complete objects, and thus not really play the game? How is that different from cheating. If a sports team threw a game, people would accuse them of cheating. If a pitcher intentionally threw pitches that lead to easy hits for the other team, and the players on that same team refused go after the ball, or try to get people out, or get hits or get on base, that'd be considered a cheat. People would label the game thrown. Yet if that was occurring in an MLB video game between two players online, they'd call it boosting. I guess Lance Armstrong's boosting wasn't cheating, he was just doing it for that 100% race completion, right?

In Gears of War, booster lobbies will demand that you leave so that these players can just cheat to get the achievements. Rather than actually play the game, they just play with others that lack skill, so that they can brag about completing it. Why not just mod your profile? Other than it being against the terms of service, why not? It actually requires less effort, and
you still get to brag to strangers that you completed the game.
Gears of War was designed so that ranked matches weren't meant to be played with friends. You're supposed to battle against strangers, with a team of strangers, which is what made it so competitive. Creating lobbies to negate that is cheating their setup. You're literally not even going to 'play' the game, and instead just exchange kills with other random boosters, all so that you can proclaim that you 'earned' some number. Rather than boost, why not just actually play the multiplayer with the other boosters that show up. Though, since that might take effort, I'm sure the players would all drop out.

In GTAIV, boosters will literally kick other players out of lobbies so that they have a lobby to themselves. This is to ensure that each booster wins. So even though there are other people that will actually play or race, they are kicked because boosters who lack skill are unwilling to play, since they cannot win. They want the credit, but not the effort required for it. So they'll knock others out of the game, just to literally earn some fake numbers.

In the Halo games, people will drop out of matchmaking lobbies, questing to find the lobby the other boosters are in for the game they're scheduled for. Not only does this mean that they've abandoned other teammates, but have also left the enemy team with less players to face against, making the game less than satisfying for real competitors. These same boosters will then also change their Language and Local settings to find specific lobbies for boosting. Bungie would actually suspend people for doing this, as it went against how they wanted you to play, but people still justify needing to do it because they 'have' to.

Rather than actually play and earn it, boosters will inconvenience other gamers, all because they 'need' that number. This is the same group that I'm classifying as 'not gamers.' If a friend came to you and told you they beat a game really fast, and, when you asked them how, they told you they used a cheat code because they lacked the ability to actually beat it, you'd roll your eyes and feel disappointed that someone would literally go and brag about cheating a game. That's not gaming.

Likewise, if you ever played a sport with, play a game with, raced or competed in any way with someone who cheated, you'd label them a cheater, and not the title they tarnish. Some people can earn it, but not everyone, which is why it's achieved. This is why there are harder achievements in games, and why it's sad that some people will literally cheat to get them, as if the world will somehow melt if they don't get it. It's an irrational justification for their own insecurities.

And to the guy who messaged me about my low 'joke' rank in Halo 3, and how higher ranks have no issues with getting Perfections, you're mistaken on several issues. Bungie directly explained that most 50 ranks in Halo 2 and 3 were boosted for, and not earned. People would play against alternate accounts, exploiting the game setup and standards for rank, in order to achieve a 50 rank in about a months time. What was more pathetic was that there were people who would then buy these very high ranked gamertags off of ebay, or pay people to get their gamertag to a high rank. Would you consider these people gamers, both buyers and sellers? Are gamers people who put forth no effort, and exploit a game just to brag about some unearned number?

This is exactly why in Halo: Reach there was no measuring rank system, but just a progressive one. Bungie realized that it was pointless to have one if the vast majority of high ranks were earned via exploits. Likewise, this is why the multiplayer achievements that Bungie made for Reach are much easier than those from Halo 3, since it didn't distinguish who actually earned it versus who lacked skill and just cheated to get it. Do you really believe that the same people who boosted for their high ranks in Halo 2 and 3 would not boost for a difficult achievement. Please don't pretend to be that naive.

That's the whole point of this issue. Are you really that pathetic that some fictional number for your fictional gamer name will truly force you to cheat other gamers? I don't mind people playing games, I mind people being arrogant assholes to other people. My achieving Save This Film is devalued by the very people who boost for it. It's a hard achievement to obtain, but rather than actually play and potentially earn it, these people cheat a setup for it. They then rationalize it by saying they hate online achievements, or couldn't be bothered to get it, or lack the time to work for it. So why boost it? If the answer is because you're a "completionist" (which isn't a real word, but a made up expressions on the internet that became 'real' to some people, sadly), then why would you actually play to complete it. If you lack the time, then why waste your free time trudging through a game you don't enjoy, when you could play other games, or spend that time with things or people that matter. If you hate online achievements, then why get them?

And I find True Achievements to be the most insulting of sites for gaming. They're supposed to give a better ratios for rarer achievements, yet this only encourages members there to boost for it. Even more confusing, the site not only accepts boosting, but encourages it. They allow you to openly post requests for boosting, thus lessening the value of a score, making it seem completely backwards as a site. It's not a true achievement if it's falsely obtained. Better yet is the issue that I previously mentioned with them considering, but they definitely won't, removing people who cheated in games by modding or hacking to get achievements. Reading only a few of the posts by these people who rationalize their need to get that fictional score, so that they can feel superior and whole, is just sad. I expected to read logical replies, like all cheaters should be banned, yet these seem to be in the minority. Instead it seems more like people try to justify that cheating is completely acceptable, and everyone makes mistakes, especially intentional ones. How can you accurately track 'true achievements' when people blatantly admit to cheating to get higher scores?

If you're no longer playing games to game, but instead only for an arbitrary number, then you're not a gamer. I don't see how that can be argued otherwise. I'm annoyed by these people who don't legitimately earn it, then have the gall to have signatures with their gamerscores or completion ratios, as they feel the narcissistic need to brag to strangers about the fictional numbers that they didn't even earn. It's insulting, as people like myself, who actually earn them, don't have obnoxious signatures like that, and feel satisfied in knowing we've achieved it. It's just sickening to read how people self obsess and feel the need to justify their obsessions.

I await the replies that try to explain how boosting isn't cheating, which will probably sound like Vanilla Ice explaining how Ice Ice Baby's bassline is different from Under Pressure. Or the other excuse of how it hurts no one, even though I've already explained how it ruins gaming lobbies, and negates the point of actually playing to earn it. These replies will instead focus on protecting their need to exploit, rather than intelligently realize that if you really want to earn the achievements in games, you work to gain them and not be insecure narcissists who feel incomplete without a fictional number. It's just weird.

The reply is long, but I was asked, so I explained as clear as I could.

So cheezmints for Pinball FX 2: Star Wars table has been leaked now and it looks like Pinball FX 2 is now the first game to break past the 2000 cheezmints mark with 2050.

[quote name='bardockkun']So cheezmints for Pinball FX 2: Star Wars table has been leaked now and it looks like Pinball FX 2 is now the first game to break past the 2000 cheezmints mark with 2050.[/QUOTE]

Not surprising. With this constant dlc spam MS will raise gamerscore limit to 3k after next xbox launch.

[quote name='Cornelius']Check the OP again ... the directions are still intact:
  1. Navigate to the "Games" channel (aka the "Games" tab)
  2. Select the "Browse Games" tile (middle of far left on that "Games" tab)
  3. Select the "Sales and Specials" tile (upper right on that "Featured" tab)
  4. Now select the S&S+ tile (it's the blue/purple one at the bottom) ...
  5. ... and if prompted, choose "Get the Free App".
The "Scratch & Win" deals are in the lower-left corner of the S&S+ app. The "Chain Reaction" deals are in the upper-right corner of the S&S+ app.

As for "why these aren't on Xbox.com" ... read the exhaustive FAQ in the OP. But to summarize, you're buying games from a unique (kludgy) region, because the Marketplace has no way to show a "special" price based upon where you see it, and so instead, you're viewing a price for a region that otherwise doesn't exist. This is also why the game may not reflect as "Already purchased" when you go back to your Marketplace, because you're viewing your own region, not the unique S&S+ region. Lately, the Xbox folks are getting behind at porting over the S&S+ purchases (in their unique region) back to your own region's Marketplace ... and if that seems like a problem for you, you should poke the @XboxSupport folks on Twitter, or on the Support forums, to encourage them to "close the loop" and get their records up-to-date.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. I'll run through this tonight. My apologies - I didn't see this in the OP 8-[

[quote name='bardockkun']So cheezmints for Pinball FX 2: Star Wars table has been leaked now and it looks like Pinball FX 2 is now the first game to break past the 2000 cheezmints mark with 2050.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if future tables will have any achievements. This brings the total up to 97. According to some guy, the system can't handle more than 99. So only two more left to play with.

This is crap. zombie theme but we only get 1 costume for dead rising 2 (that was free with preorders)? nothing for DR: off the record? how about the left 4 dead games? yes i know they've been done to death. seems like an excuse to push the xbla titles. very annoyed.

on another note, has anyone heard of a game of the year edition for skyrim? all this DLC is going on sale & i have been holding out for a GotY edition.

[quote name='gambit444']This is crap. zombie theme but we only get 1 costume for dead rising 2 (that was free with preorders)? nothing for DR: off the record? how about the left 4 dead games? yes i know they've been done to death. seems like an excuse to push the xbla titles. very annoyed.

on another note, has anyone heard of a game of the year edition for skyrim? all this DLC is going on sale & i have been holding out for a GotY edition.[/QUOTE]
That reminds me... did they ever fix the ps3 crash issues from autosave?

With the yugioh game free for people that bought the previous yugioh game, do you have to get it with same profile?
Could not find it in my purchase history and I think it is on my brothers profile which he uses on his own xbox but was bought on my xbox.
So since it was bought on my xbox and a license is on my xbox for the game can I use my profile to get the new game free?

When I first saw the zombies listed I had hopes for a good deal on Dead Rising 2 games on demand. Especially since I just picked up the first game again.

The text looks so much better on my HD set!

BTW if anyone is curious

Dead Space 1 is now $15 for Games on Demand

It's going less then the used/new prices out there from what I last checked.

Wish they would make DS2 GoD

[quote name='archerbro74']BTW congrats on the supersonics coming back (or seattle kings?)

:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

not for sure thing. Sacramento is a passionate city. but it's so exciting i can't go a day without thinking about it.

:bouncy:

[quote name='gotdott']somewhat off topic but speaking of spelunky and super meat boy, i hope the binding of isaac remake comes to xbla :)[/QUOTE]

i've heard reports that it is

[quote name='ERROR SUCCESS']Yeah I was at a loss there. Theoretically though, someone could've bought msp in anticipation of just that sale.

There was supposed to be a Durango announcement at E3 but it looks like it might be majored...[/QUOTE]

Actually, I almost did buy points in anticipation of a Dragonborn sale. I was going to have to--no way I could pass up that sale.

-B

[quote name='gambit444'] on another note, has anyone heard of a game of the year edition for skyrim? all this DLC is going on sale & i have been holding out for a GotY edition.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, can anyone weigh in? I've held out in the past for Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas to get their GotY editions before I picked them up. But when I bought my current 360, it came with a voucher for Skyrim, which I installed, so holding out may not be the best thing financially. There's only one more supposed DLC set coming for Skyrim, right?

[quote name='ERROR SUCCESS']Yeah I was at a loss there. Theoretically though, someone could've bought msp in anticipation of just that sale.

There was supposed to be a Durango announcement at E3 but it looks like it might be majored...[/QUOTE]

I like it.

Seems like every time he puts out a new list, there's some kind of fuck-up on it.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']But they're not gamers.

Off the threads intended topic, so don't click if you're expecting deals.
Gamers are people who genuinely play games, thus the term. The guy who plays endless games for that 1 million score is, like other people on that site, a booster. Booster's don't actually play their games. Boosting is also cheating. People use the term 'boosting' to try and separate it from cheating, so that they don't feel guilty for it. When you boost, do you need to kick people to hold a lobby? Do you need other players to stand still and/or not complete objects, and thus not really play the game? How is that different from cheating. If a sports team threw a game, people would accuse them of cheating. If a pitcher intentionally threw pitches that lead to easy hits for the other team, and the players on that same team refused go after the ball, or try to get people out, or get hits or get on base, that'd be considered a cheat. People would label the game thrown. Yet if that was occurring in an MLB video game between two players online, they'd call it boosting. I guess Lance Armstrong's boosting wasn't cheating, he was just doing it for that 100% race completion, right?

In Gears of War, booster lobbies will demand that you leave so that these players can just cheat to get the achievements. Rather than actually play the game, they just play with others that lack skill, so that they can brag about completing it. Why not just mod your profile? Other than it being against the terms of service, why not? It actually requires less effort, and
you still get to brag to strangers that you completed the game.
Gears of War was designed so that ranked matches weren't meant to be played with friends. You're supposed to battle against strangers, with a team of strangers, which is what made it so competitive. Creating lobbies to negate that is cheating their setup. You're literally not even going to 'play' the game, and instead just exchange kills with other random boosters, all so that you can proclaim that you 'earned' some number. Rather than boost, why not just actually play the multiplayer with the other boosters that show up. Though, since that might take effort, I'm sure the players would all drop out.

In GTAIV, boosters will literally kick other players out of lobbies so that they have a lobby to themselves. This is to ensure that each booster wins. So even though there are other people that will actually play or race, they are kicked because boosters who lack skill are unwilling to play, since they cannot win. They want the credit, but not the effort required for it. So they'll knock others out of the game, just to literally earn some fake numbers.

In the Halo games, people will drop out of matchmaking lobbies, questing to find the lobby the other boosters are in for the game they're scheduled for. Not only does this mean that they've abandoned other teammates, but have also left the enemy team with less players to face against, making the game less than satisfying for real competitors. These same boosters will then also change their Language and Local settings to find specific lobbies for boosting. Bungie would actually suspend people for doing this, as it went against how they wanted you to play, but people still justify needing to do it because they 'have' to.

Rather than actually play and earn it, boosters will inconvenience other gamers, all because they 'need' that number. This is the same group that I'm classifying as 'not gamers.' If a friend came to you and told you they beat a game really fast, and, when you asked them how, they told you they used a cheat code because they lacked the ability to actually beat it, you'd roll your eyes and feel disappointed that someone would literally go and brag about cheating a game. That's not gaming.

Likewise, if you ever played a sport with, play a game with, raced or competed in any way with someone who cheated, you'd label them a cheater, and not the title they tarnish. Some people can earn it, but not everyone, which is why it's achieved. This is why there are harder achievements in games, and why it's sad that some people will literally cheat to get them, as if the world will somehow melt if they don't get it. It's an irrational justification for their own insecurities.

And to the guy who messaged me about my low 'joke' rank in Halo 3, and how higher ranks have no issues with getting Perfections, you're mistaken on several issues. Bungie directly explained that most 50 ranks in Halo 2 and 3 were boosted for, and not earned. People would play against alternate accounts, exploiting the game setup and standards for rank, in order to achieve a 50 rank in about a months time. What was more pathetic was that there were people who would then buy these very high ranked gamertags off of ebay, or pay people to get their gamertag to a high rank. Would you consider these people gamers, both buyers and sellers? Are gamers people who put forth no effort, and exploit a game just to brag about some unearned number?

This is exactly why in Halo: Reach there was no measuring rank system, but just a progressive one. Bungie realized that it was pointless to have one if the vast majority of high ranks were earned via exploits. Likewise, this is why the multiplayer achievements that Bungie made for Reach are much easier than those from Halo 3, since it didn't distinguish who actually earned it versus who lacked skill and just cheated to get it. Do you really believe that the same people who boosted for their high ranks in Halo 2 and 3 would not boost for a difficult achievement. Please don't pretend to be that naive.

That's the whole point of this issue. Are you really that pathetic that some fictional number for your fictional gamer name will truly force you to cheat other gamers? I don't mind people playing games, I mind people being arrogant assholes to other people. My achieving Save This Film is devalued by the very people who boost for it. It's a hard achievement to obtain, but rather than actually play and potentially earn it, these people cheat a setup for it. They then rationalize it by saying they hate online achievements, or couldn't be bothered to get it, or lack the time to work for it. So why boost it? If the answer is because you're a "completionist" (which isn't a real word, but a made up expressions on the internet that became 'real' to some people, sadly), then why would you actually play to complete it. If you lack the time, then why waste your free time trudging through a game you don't enjoy, when you could play other games, or spend that time with things or people that matter. If you hate online achievements, then why get them?

And I find True Achievements to be the most insulting of sites for gaming. They're supposed to give a better ratios for rarer achievements, yet this only encourages members there to boost for it. Even more confusing, the site not only accepts boosting, but encourages it. They allow you to openly post requests for boosting, thus lessening the value of a score, making it seem completely backwards as a site. It's not a true achievement if it's falsely obtained. Better yet is the issue that I previously mentioned with them considering, but they definitely won't, removing people who cheated in games by modding or hacking to get achievements. Reading only a few of the posts by these people who rationalize their need to get that fictional score, so that they can feel superior and whole, is just sad. I expected to read logical replies, like all cheaters should be banned, yet these seem to be in the minority. Instead it seems more like people try to justify that cheating is completely acceptable, and everyone makes mistakes, especially intentional ones. How can you accurately track 'true achievements' when people blatantly admit to cheating to get higher scores?

If you're no longer playing games to game, but instead only for an arbitrary number, then you're not a gamer. I don't see how that can be argued otherwise. I'm annoyed by these people who don't legitimately earn it, then have the gall to have signatures with their gamerscores or completion ratios, as they feel the narcissistic need to brag to strangers about the fictional numbers that they didn't even earn. It's insulting, as people like myself, who actually earn them, don't have obnoxious signatures like that, and feel satisfied in knowing we've achieved it. It's just sickening to read how people self obsess and feel the need to justify their obsessions.

I await the replies that try to explain how boosting isn't cheating, which will probably sound like Vanilla Ice explaining how Ice Ice Baby's bassline is different from Under Pressure. Or the other excuse of how it hurts no one, even though I've already explained how it ruins gaming lobbies, and negates the point of actually playing to earn it. These replies will instead focus on protecting their need to exploit, rather than intelligently realize that if you really want to earn the achievements in games, you work to gain them and not be insecure narcissists who feel incomplete without a fictional number. It's just weird.

The reply is long, but I was asked, so I explained as clear as I could.
[/QUOTE]

i guess ill say it. epic reply that i read. rather well thought out. i do mostly agree although i am guilty of it. and some games there is 0 online community so its boost or bust. that said i do achievement hunt sometimes but with a few exceptions i normally don't party up and boost. but more and more lately ive been attempting to get myself to stop doing that at all unless i really enjoy the game at which point im having fun and not chasing a score. also i only really ever competed against my friend and hes a good 18000 points lower than me so....

i do also agree that there are real gamers. i for one get greatly annoyed at the recent surge of casual gamers. ive met far too many wii only owners that cant even sync their freakin controllers. or one of my favorite arguments someone tried to tell me rock band isn't a video game because she played rock band but didn't play video games. or casuals that just want to play just dance on the kinect but cant operate kinect so they would bug me to teach them how even though i never used a kinect previously.

so for me a real gamer is someone that enjoys video games of the entire spectrum. i dont mean play every type of game but has a legitament joy for them and doesn't just limit themselves to say only rock band or angry birds or something. the people that actually keep the industry alive as consumers. i realize this may not make sense entirely but it does to me. i would agree that guy chasing 1 million gamer points is NOT a real gamer and neither are the people that boost constantly and thats all they do as they have no enjoyment nor is it really possible to find enjoyment by boosting 98% of the time...yes some will say someone might enjoy it but thats really not possible. some things just are not enjoyable and represent have a deadness of soul really or emptiness inside.

[quote name='commandercody83']When I first saw the zombies listed I had hopes for a good deal on Dead Rising 2 games on demand.[/QUOTE]

Left 4 Dead's DLC hasn't been discounted for some time now. I was hoping for that for the zombie theme.

Randomly throwing in all Mass Effect DLC would have been cool too. Maybe they're doing another developer run-through starting next week. We'll see what happens.

This is the kind of spelunky hype that made me bite week 1, and I just don't see what everyone else seems to see. I would recommend checking out the demo first and hopefully it is for you.

Just to confirm Dragonborn will not be on sale next week as far as we know?

If so, I'll get Spelunky. I guess worse case scenario is I actually have to buy points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back