XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jaysonguy']That's disc and they're used so.......ick[/QUOTE]

I've heard that Major Nelson has personally licked every single hard drive at the data centers that serve up the Games on Demand stuff. Pick your poison.

[quote name='MRGx']heres all the GoD games ranked by metacritic score:

86 - Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
81 - Rockstar Table Tennis
81 - Prince of Persia
81 - Perfect Dark Zero
79 - Kameo

[/QUOTE]

Why do I have a feeling Table Tennis and Perfect Dark get their high ratings because of their newness at the time? I'd rag on Kameo but as I understand it that is a love/hate game. Table Tennis can't be that good, right?

[quote name='ZForce915']Why do I have a feeling Table Tennis and Perfect Dark get their high ratings because of their newness at the time? I'd rag on Kameo but as I understand it that is a love/hate game. Table Tennis can't be that good, right?[/QUOTE]

Perfect Dark Zero I would agree with you. It's been years since I played it and while it was ok, it just seemed meh. The multiplayer wasn't bad though and as grindy as those achievements are, you can play with bots if you wish.

As for Table Tennis, I remember the difficulty being a bit BS (unless I was just bad at it), but it was actually a good game in the "how it was made" sense.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']I would stay far away from Viva Pinata Party Animals...It is really frustrating for both me and my kids. The characters are very difficult to control during races and most of the mini games are more tedious than fun. Not fun.[/QUOTE]

While I still haven't 100%'d it, I'm quite a fan of the Viva Pinata stuff. While it was no mid-numbered Mario Party, it's a fun Party Game most of the time. I liked it.

It's waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than Hail To The Chimp.

[quote name='eastx']Did you know I have the largest Bomberman collection in the world? I wish I could find the pictures of my collection from Hudson's site, but it shut down.[/QUOTE]

In the world? That's pretty awesome, I'd definitely like to see pics.

[quote name='irafreak']I've bought arcade titles for the same prices just to get 200...[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. I know I don't need any of these games, but I've definitely spent $5 on unnecessary XBLA games that only have 200 GS. 1000 for each of these makes me feel like I should just go for a lot of them, the ones I find decent anyway.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']That's disc and they're used so.......ick[/QUOTE]

Used >>>>>>>>> Digital, in my book anyway.

[quote name='ZForce915']Why do I have a feeling Table Tennis and Perfect Dark get their high ratings because of their newness at the time? I'd rag on Kameo but as I understand it that is a love/hate game. Table Tennis can't be that good, right?[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, you definitely have to take older review scores with a grain of salt. If Perfect Dark Zero came out today my guess is it's Metacritic rating would be in the 50s.

I was just going to pick up PoP, but I'm really coming around on Tornado Outbreak. I honestly had no idea what this game was until this sale. I just checked wikipedia and it was released at the end of a month where I moved across the country and didn't have internet access for part of it. I was very busy at the time and must have completely missed all coverage/marketing/etc as a result, which isn't surprising considering it seems like a title that didn't get a lot of it.

[youtube]kN4kBSmhZe0[/youtube]

[quote name='louiedog']I was just going to pick up PoP, but I'm really coming around on Tornado Outbreak. I honestly had no idea what this game was until this sale. I just checked wikipedia and it was released at the end of a month where I moved across the country and didn't have internet access for part of it. I was very busy at the time and must have completely missed all coverage/marketing/etc as a result, which isn't surprising considering it seems like a title that didn't get a lot of it.

[youtube]kN4kBSmhZe0[/youtube][/QUOTE]

That video sells me on it. I'm down!

Yeah Tornado Outbreak is pretty cool. I totally overlooked it as well, and was watching a Game Informer video about 6 months ago when one of the editors randomly mentioned it. Did a little bit of Googling and ended up getting it from Amazon for $7 or $8.

Also, in regards to the GoD sale, I think I'm gonna wait until the morning of the 26th (day after the sale ends) and see what Major Nelson announces as the upcoming DotW's. If it's garbage like usual, I may grab anywhere from 2-6 games from the GoD sale, assuming they're still on sale, which they should be. And if for some reason they're not, no huge loss.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Yeah Tornado Outbreak is pretty cool. I totally overlooked it as well, and was watching a Game Informer video about 6 months ago when one of the editors randomly mentioned it. Did a little bit of Googling and ended up getting it from Amazon for $7 or $8.

Also, in regards to the GoD sale, I think I'm gonna wait until the morning of the 26th (day after the sale ends) and see what Major Nelson announces as the upcoming DotW's. If it's garbage like usual, I may grab anywhere from 2-6 games from the GoD sale, assuming they're still on sale, which they should be. And if for some reason they're not, no huge loss.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I might do that aswell. Well I guess the current points I have can go towards the genki dlc for SR3 and Magic 2013.

Table Tennis I thought was actually pretty good. Hard as hell though. Kameo was absolutely awesome. Although I did play both of these 4 or 5 years ago so who knows how I'd feel now.

[quote name='louiedog']I was just going to pick up PoP, but I'm really coming around on Tornado Outbreak. I honestly had no idea what this game was until this sale. I just checked wikipedia and it was released at the end of a month where I moved across the country and didn't have internet access for part of it. I was very busy at the time and must have completely missed all coverage/marketing/etc as a result, which isn't surprising considering it seems like a title that didn't get a lot of it.

I think I might get this one now.

[quote name='ooga']For multiplayer go with bomberman Live Battlefest[/QUOTE]

Do not go with that game, I regret purchasing it in a sense now. Got it @ best buy with store credit and was a waste of $ since no one plays the multiplayer on xbl anymore.

Perfect Dark Zero is still a great game, although single player isn't nearly as good as the original.

Hopefully the sale next weeks brings people online for a while. Bots are stupid and I hate fighting them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Top Bottom Five:
1. Brave Warrior's Tale - 2 Stars ...[/QUOTE]

Brave Warrior's Tale is horrible, honestly one of the worst games I've ever played. I award it no points and may God have mercy on its soul.

The really sad thing is that it's supposedly a kids title. The only kid deserving of Brave Warrior's Tale is maybe Damien. Even then, it'd be too cruel.

and Im sold

Well I got my Capcom digital collection this afternoon. :bouncy: I'm surprised it took under 20 hours to get here.
I feel bad for those of you who decided to wait since the price is back up now. HOWEVER, the price went up because isomergames ran out of copies so shark decided to bump up their price. Isomergames just got two in stock now so the bidding has started again. I would imagine the price will dip back to around $16 again if no one snags those two copies as the bidding war rages on.

For anyone considering Perfect Dark Zero, you will be told by just about everybody that it is bad. However, most of those people almost certainly gave up on it fairly quickly, and that's ok. However, as someone who spent their entire gaming budget on the 360 launch in the fall of 2005, I couldn't afford to buy anymore games for a while, so I ended up giving PDZ quite a bit of my time and found a lot to like. The story, writing, and presentation are lovably atrocious ("I'll never complain about garbage again") and the game can be unreasonably difficult at times, but there is a general weirdness to it all and a completely unexplained complexity to the co-op that was fun to discover. It feels very Japanese, even though it isn't.

Kameo is definitely worth $5, Rockstar's Table Tennis is just ok, and everybody should avoid Viva Pinata Party Animals at all costs.

Table Tennis is good game and as someone mentioned pretty tough. I still own a copy of the game, but the disc is scratched and i will buy GoD version. :p

I think Toys'R'Us bought up every physical copy of Tornado Outbreak in existence. Every TRU store has several copies in their used bin for some outrageous price of $23 or so.

Bolt, Surf's Up, Open Season, and CWACO Meatballs are actually all pretty decent kids games, especially Meatballs. All are very doable 1000 GS too.

EA shut down the online for Facebreaker a long time ago and it is now uncompletable, so be warned.

Virtua Tennis 2009 is by far the worse VT game in the series. It's actually a huge step down from VT 3, and I'd avoid it even at that price. Needlessly frustrating and very poor character models.

[quote name='GunstarRed']Virtua Tennis 2009 is by far the worse VT game in the series. It's actually a huge step down from VT 3, and I'd avoid it even at that price. Needlessly frustrating and very poor character models.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I have VT3 on disc and really enjoyed it, so I was gonna grab VT 2009 for sure. I'll make sure to do some more research on it now.

Yeah, Kameo was worth the $5, imo, if you didn't get it free from club.live like quite a few of us did. I think the bad reviews seem to be attributed (at least to some degree) to it being by Rare. It's still a solid game with a nice plot and the controls are good once you master them and make the puzzle parts fairly fun. I ended up playing through it twice as when I first got a 360 from my friend I didn't have it hooked up to the internet or set up an account so I replayed it for some of the GS. (I have the PH, but I really don't think there's anything extra included, if so it's nothing of note.)

SEGA Superstars Tennis... I got the comp disc bundle new for $5 at a yardsale the other year mainly for the arcade comp disc itself. I played the Tennis for like 30 minutes or so and didn't really care for it. Wouldn't recommend the standalone especially for $5 as you can get the comp disc for under that at GS.

I already got Facebreaker as well for $5 still sealed at a yardsale as well, but haven't unwrapped it yet so I can't comment on it. My friend played it and said it's not bad if you can get past the somewhat steep learning curve.

As for me, I'll probably pick up Tornado Outbreak or possibly Prince of Persia.

[quote name='pyoobez']I already got Facebreaker as well for $5 still sealed at a yardsale as well, but haven't unwrapped it yet so I can't comment on it. My friend played it and said it's not bad if you can get past the somewhat steep learning curve.
[/QUOTE]
Very very steep but once you get the hang of it and learn everyones patterns the game goes in the complete opposite direction and becomes incredibly easy.

Passing on From Dust. Just doesn't look like my kinda thing.... This Game on Demand sale is looking to be pretty dangerous for my wallet though. I have plenty of harddrive space, and I'm kind of a sucker for medicore games at cheap prices. Right now I'm downloading demos for every game on that list that has one, and I'm already considering the following:

Bionic Commando
Blazing Angels
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Conan (been itching for game like this after playing the Bloodforge demo)
Dark Void
Prince of Persia
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Tornado Outbreak

I'm hoping some of these demos suck because I don't want to drop ~$45 on all these games.

Perhaps a silly question, but we should still be able to do "Y" (or "X") to-points conversion and get these games at the sale prices, right? So $4.99 will come up as 400msp and $3.99 will come up 320msp? I've never actually bought a GoD before...

It has been a while since my last useless thoughts post, but I have kept up with this thread. I've been working hard on my backlog, and now it appears I at least play about 30% of my Xbox 360 games (based on gamerscore/possible gamerscore; not a good measure but it did look like I hardly played any 360 game before).

It has become a bit more difficult to keep up on this thread with the amount of buzz for sales on dated Games on Demand titles. However I do see it as a small step forward to larger discount offers from multiple categories, even when there's nothing for me. I really was hoping for Crysis and Deathsmiles 2X; I can continue to wait, I hope to increase my play to at least 40% of my backlog ^^.

I already own Prince of Persia and Perfect Dark Zero (at brand new on disc for similar prices); I've not yet been convinced to get any other title from the upcoming Games on Demand sale list. Amongst those listed, doesn't some of those titles have glitched achievements (impossible to get) or discontinued online service?

However, I am anticipating the upcoming Sonic 21st Anniversary sale for XBLA Sonic CD, I am glad I held out for it even though it was reasonably priced to begin with. Yes, I should support reasonably priced of a game I do like, but I already had the original games on still working original systems [US & JP versions], so I held out for just buying achievements and leaderboards ^^.

I still want to say, the majority of the last few sales which had me purchasing were typically not the Gold Exclusives. Yet on the whole, I've at least gotten something on sale about once a month. From the SNK XBLA titles, to Iron Brigade/Trenched, to Anomaly: Warzone Earth, I've at least gotten something at reasonable prices semi-consistently. Still, seeing From Dust at 800MSP, is a bit disappointing (in the same way how we didn't get another nice pre-E3 sale). I will have to continue to wait until that game gets priced lower.

[quote name='louiedog']I've heard that Major Nelson has personally licked every single hard drive at the data centers that serve up the Games on Demand stuff. Pick your poison.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, gross. I still mostly try to hunt for deals on brand new games, since I do prefer my gameboxes not touched by the snotty kids around my local Gamestop (aside from them not offering any deals compared to other retailers around me). Just a preference to know I enjoy the experience of unwrapping and unsealing a game myself ^^.

[quote name='SonicXtreme']hey you're a good person to ask this then; what's the best bomberman game on xbla? do any of them still have a community? i'd like to play some online bomberman but i'm not sure which one i should get. do either of them still have online communities? either support more local players than the other (do the games let you bring 4 local people online?)[/QUOTE]

Wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to chime in "not Bomberman Live" due to my poor experience with it. My friends and I enjoyed Bomberman, we loved Saturn Bomberman for the 7+ players all locally. However, since time and/or situation has separated us, we try to get play through online means. A few friends and I logged on to play Bomberman Live and allowed randoms to join in. This happened to us on more than one occasion, where we have a random group join in and all they would do is immediately self sacrifice so they can revenge bomber the remaining from the start of a game, so it just became which legitimate player (tends to be just my friends an I) can make a griefer mess up first [remember, it is at the start of a match, so no one has room initially]. Turning off revenge bomber just means randoms tend to quit once eliminated. Thanks Xbox Live random people, I had thought the Bomberman games was well designed for many to have fun, but we learned that can be taken away by stupid randoms running in packs. It has happened to us on 3 occasions, we've closed up the games to only allow people we know, but schedules still don't always match up. So after we tried, allowing others to join in on the fun we all once had, it has soured our whole group that we've never played Bomberman Live since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit on the ME Starships theme, been running with the free one I found somewhere in cyberspace for what seems like an eternity. Different enough to satisfy me. Man I love me some Mass Effect.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Bit on the ME Starships theme, been running with the free one I found somewhere in cyberspace for what seems like an eternity. Different enough to satisfy me. Man I love me some Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

Does it change the ugly gray blob on the bottom half of the dashboard to black or just a darker gray? I had some themes that used to change the bottom to black, but now just make the gray a little darker. If it still makes the bottom proper black I'll bite just for that.

[quote name='Smike']Does it change the ugly gray blob on the bottom half of the dashboard to black or just a darker gray? I had some themes that used to change the bottom to black, but now just make the gray a little darker. If it still makes the bottom proper black I'll bite just for that.[/QUOTE]

Looks gray to me. Hadn't even noticed it till you pointed it out. First time I even noticed the gray blob at the bottom of the screen since the new dash first released. Went back to the Normandy theme to see if maybe it was black but, no still gray. : /

Finally got my Virtual-On Force GH JP edition in (since I could never get the VPN situation to work to download the HK GoD version after about a day and a half of trying) and I love how it's just as mind-bogglingly hard to control as ever. Two thumb sticks? Screw that we're sticking with what barely worked the first time! Change BAD! Seriously though, prettyfucking awesome to finally be able to play it.

Dual stick controls are just there to appease nostalgic players. Standard FPS movement (forward, back, strafe on LS and turn on RS) works best, especially when mapping Jump to A and Jump Cancel to X, thereby eliminating the need to use RS at all.

Thanks for the new wall of text, Crono. I was actually kind of missing them. Like others, I'm struggling with what to do with the OD game sale as I own most of them on-disc for dirt cheap but I am trying to downsize my physical storage of games. Then again I probably could never get $5 for each of them so it seems wrong to spend that on getting them again.

Chrono, thanks for the theme comparison. I stupidly used to buy the occasional one and I was considering the ME one but the new dashboard makes it a chore to even see the neat icons behind friend avatars. That's the best part for me aside from the changing of the entire coloration, including the bottom of the screen. With that out I'll never pay for one again.

i was actually thinking of buying bomberman act zero and now thanks to the people here i wont get it.

i will ge the tornado game (thanks to the person who posted that video review) and the prince of persia game.

since it is the same price everywhere will the point conversion be the same everywhere or will it be different?

i ask as resident evil in america is $19.99 and converted to 1600 in america.
in australia it is $29.95 and converted to 1840 or something

[quote name='louiedog']Out of curiosity, where did you get the points that are expiring?[/QUOTE]

4k from a twitter contest for Assassin's Creed Revelations(won 12k, but sold 8k because I knew I wouldn't be able to spend near that much in just a few months)
Also, a few hundred are expiring on the same date, and based on the odd number I'd say it was from those 160 points codes from the windows phone promo.

[quote name='WRM']Next weeks Deal of the Week is another Sonic sale, oh boy :/[/QUOTE]

Apparently they have to celebrate every anniversary, and do it the exact same way. (This year is 21st, I believe)

[quote name='GunstarRed']Virtua Tennis 2009 is by far the worse VT game in the series. It's actually a huge step down from VT 3, and I'd avoid it even at that price. Needlessly frustrating and very poor character models.[/QUOTE]

What? It probably is the worst game in the series, but it's still a really fun game. I have it for Xbox and Wii and still play both.

The main difference between VT2009 and VT3 is that the former removes the ridiculous diving from the previous games. In 2009, when you reach for the ball, your player "takes a knee" so it often feels like you're locked into the animation and it's frustrating, but I can assure you it takes the same amount of time to recover from either. In fact, when the game was new, everyone's biggest criticism for it was that it was too similar to VT3.

The online, though, is a shitfest. Almost impossible to play if you're even lucky to find anyone playing.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That GoD sale thread is funny. Most of the people in there are just arguing over stupid stuff for the millionth time.[/QUOTE]

The "$5 rewards certificate from Best buy" thread is pretty funny too.

[quote name='Gram']4k from a twitter contest for Assassin's Creed Revelations(won 12k, but sold 8k because I knew I wouldn't be able to spend near that much in just a few months)
Also, a few hundred are expiring on the same date, and based on the odd number I'd say it was from those 160 points codes from the windows phone promo.[/QUOTE]
How do you know when specific points are expiring? I won 80k in one of those dashboard contests.

[quote name='reddjoey']as much as hate to do it, I wiki-ed the OP to see how it goes while I am getting ready for part 1 of summer finals.[/QUOTE]

Finally!

Thank you!

:)

[quote name='reddjoey']as much as hate to do it, I wiki-ed the OP to see how it goes while I am getting ready for part 1 of summer finals.[/QUOTE]

Do well reddjoey. We understand your priorities, it must be done at this time. Posters here have been pretty good, and I hope the thread OP maintains the level of quality you have preserved for so long.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Thanks for the new wall of text, Crono. I was actually kind of missing them. Like others, I'm struggling with what to do with the OD game sale as I own most of them on-disc for dirt cheap but I am trying to downsize my physical storage of games. Then again I probably could never get $5 for each of them so it seems wrong to spend that on getting them again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are advantages to having media "cloud-based" such as less to worry of physical space ('cus a home move can be stressful), counteracted by some issues with potential changes behind the scenes (availability or content change). Maybe that's why I don't tend to sell away games I have purchased, because I usually buy games which I tend to like and think "I could get more than X dollars worth of fun out this old generally-panned-but-I-like/don't-mind game than the amount I get for selling it at X". Still the situation has its unique solution for every person, just know it's still quite CAG of ya to at least go for it on a sale rather than buying at full ^^.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Apparently they have to celebrate every anniversary, and do it the exact same way. (This year is 21st, I believe)[/QUOTE]

Fun fact, anniversaries are annual ... I think, wait, then maybe it's not a fact if I think it is. I sure celebrate my anniversary of umm, New Years (?) every year. Okay, I'm being stupid, anyway, yep, it is the 21st anniversary for Sonic. I hope I get a M2 emulated (like the SVC games like Alex Kidd, Monster World, and Streets of Rage) version of the Sonic games [well other good old Sega titles first, but eventually Sonic], at a good price. I am already waiting on the already released SVC collections to hit a sale, since 800MSP is a bit much for what I considered "1 outstanding (MW4, Super Shinobi) with 2 filler" packs. I will celebrate Sonic's 21st anniversary by purchasing XBLA Sonic CD at 200MSP, there better be something for the 22nd.

While the heat gets to me along with the lack of sports I watch indicates it is summer, I know I will be paying a non-CAG full price for Dust: An Elysian Tail and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (provided no day 1 DLC for the latter) during Summer of Arcade. I know there is a 400MSP rebate for buying 3 of the 5 Summer of Arcade games. Without a Kinect, I have only 2 options for a game to be priced 400MSP less, in theory from the rebate, either Deadlight or Hybrid, any suggestions? I haven't caught much hype for either so I am just out of the know.

P.S. I am so envious of you guys winning those contests which gives lots of Microsoft Points. I just fantasize I'd spend the expiring but free-ish MSP on stuff that I know I'd never normally buy but kind of want on the Xbox marketplace like all $100+ of Otomedius Excellent DLC, music pack DLC for games like Ridge Racer 6, costumes for Street Fighters, etc. along with maybe some indie titles ^^. Well, yep, that's a fantasy, aside from the endless girls kind. Yet, I never get that much luck, but I cannot claim they've not given me anything, I've gotten umm, Bing points and rewards points. Speaking of which, bleh to the current 80MSP back for a 240MSP avatar part, I liked it when they gave 80MSP for two 40MSP avatar part offer better ^^.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Crono-00']I have only 2 options for a game to be priced 400MSP less, in theory from the rebate, either Deadlight or Hybrid, any suggestions? I haven't caught much hype for either so I am just out of the know.[/QUOTE]

The Hybrid demo didn't wow me at all. The premise of Deadlight looks interesting and has caught my eye the most for this year's SoA. I'd put my vote towards Deadlight.

[quote name='HDShadow']The Hybrid demo didn't wow me at all. The premise of Deadlight looks interesting and has caught my eye the most for this year's SoA. I'd put my vote towards Deadlight.[/QUOTE]

Yeah just based on what I've seen of both, go for Deadlight by a mile.

Anyone think any of these SoA games besides the Kinect one will be priced at 800msp? Anyone think THPS is gonna push the envelope and go for 1600msp?

Someone not as lazy as me want to throw the Music game DLC sales that xbldb caught in the OP?

[quote name='hellhunde']How do you know when specific points are expiring? I won 80k in one of those dashboard contests.[/QUOTE]

I check with billing.microsoft.com
I'd definitely check. As far as I know, the only points that don't expire are ones you buy.

[quote name='killer9']Yep without that site i would have lost 10k msp[/QUOTE]

Which section of the site shows when points expire? I don't see anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back