XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='tylerh1701']Assault Heroes 2 is on sale again for 200msp as well, XBLDB just caught it.[/QUOTE]

anyone want to run through this? lobby is dead everytime i check and seems like a good co op game

[quote name='tylerh1701']Can anyone recommend Prototype 1?[/QUOTE]

How's your backlog looking? If you are short of games go for it. I played it some when it first came out. Story was decent enough but the combat was mindnumbingly repetitive. There is fun to be had just not much after the first few hours.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Can anyone recommend Prototype 1?[/QUOTE]

It has its faults and gets repetitive/tedious (at least to me it did) at times, but when offered the chance to play what is likely the closest I will ever get to a game focused on being Carnage from the Marvelverse I was sold.

I paid 20 and was a bit disappointed, at this price I could live with it no question.

I bought a few of the silly costumes but somehow totally forgot about the XIII-2 story DLC until *just now* - and while the sale prices are still reflected on the website, it errors out when I actually try to buy. Ffffffuuuuuu-

[quote name='airco']If they made a fighting game where a newbie could beat a seasoned player easily, then most people would consider it a pretty crappy game.

The rounds in VF are shorter than rounds in games like SF or Tekken, so it only makes sense to have more rounds to even things out. And sudden 3-win comebacks aren't unheard of - I've won and lost a few games by them myself.

Capcom fighters do the same damn thing. At least Sega had the decency to charge only $15 for the base game instead of $60. They were also very upfront about their reasons for doing so: the base game was already nearly 2GB, so giving the costumes out for free would have put them over the limit. It also lets them sell the base game for a low price, allowing new players to get into the series (you know, since VF has never been the most popular game overseas), while still allowing hardcore players to get the customization options that the arcade version had. Speaking of customization, the DLC isn't just some crappy costume, it's a ludicrous amount of items that you can use to customize your character (I think a thousand? I dunno what the numbers are). I abhor DLC more than most people here, but even I'm with Sega on this one.[/QUOTE]
the problem i have with the 3 rounds to win is that the online is dead. you can't find people to fight online except at certain times, and since rounds last a little longer than they should last, more people will go to the lobby, see no opponent, and turn off the game and go play street fighter; unlike SF where you can get into a lobby and jump in a game all the time, not only cos the game is popular but bc the lobbys are repopulated more often, it just drives much more activity online. and i don't play fighting games if i cant have a real opponent so the game just sits there unless it's the evening and lobbys have a few people in them.

The DLC is an ok idea but, it costs $30 to buy skins for a fighting game that costs $15. completely cosmetic, i don't see how that's not a rip off, regardless if capcom or every company around does it as well, that black horse is still black. its legit they split it up if they had to but the DLC packs didn't need to be $15 each come on that's ridic for more or less playing dressup on xbox. and if you just want wolf you have to pay five dollars to put a hat on him! i love me some sega but those economics don't make any sense. IMO it's solely trying to suck money from the 'man i love VF i hope they make another one, so i better spend $30 on their DLC and support them' loyal fans that sega lives on, and that's just silly no matter what company is pulling it.

also do the menu fonts in VF5 give anyone else a headache? at the main menu i always feel like i need glasses again, bc they do this offset thing with the font where it just makes you think your vision is blurred, i hate it lol >_

Thanks for the recommendations on ilomilo! I'll get it.

Haven't heard anyone mention the Toy Soldiers dlc, so I guess I'll pass on that unless I absolutely love the game and want more. I have enough games to play, heh.

[quote name='SonicXtreme']the problem i have with the 3 rounds to win is that the online is dead. you can't find people to fight online except at certain times, and since rounds last a little longer than they should last, more people will go to the lobby, see no opponent, and turn off the game and go play street fighter; unlike SF where you can get into a lobby and jump in a game all the time, not only cos the game is popular but bc the lobbys are repopulated more often, it just drives much more activity online. and i don't play fighting games if i cant have a real opponent so the game just sits there unless it's the evening and lobbys have a few people in them.[/QUOTE]

This is more a problem of nobody in the west caring about VF than it is about matches being a best-of-five deal. Like I said, rounds in VF are shorter than their equivalents in other games, so there are more rounds to make up for it. Meaning a 5-round VF match lasts as long as a 3-round SF match (if not shorter).

The DLC is an ok idea but, it costs $30 to buy skins for a fighting game that costs $15. completely cosmetic, i don't see how that's not a rip off, regardless if capcom or every company around does it as well, that black horse is still black. its legit they split it up if they had to but the DLC packs didn't need to be $15 each come on that's ridic for more or less playing dressup on xbox. and if you just want wolf you have to pay five dollars to put a hat on him! i love me some sega but those economics don't make any sense. IMO it's solely trying to suck money from the 'man i love VF i hope they make another one, so i better spend $30 on their DLC and support them' loyal fans that sega lives on, and that's just silly no matter what company is pulling it.

The important thing to keep in mind here is that the game is ONLY $15. It's a home port of one of the most popular arcade games currently in Japan. Sega could have gotten away with selling the game as a full priced retail game (okay, $40 would probably be more likely, given that's what AE released at) with the customization items unlocked on disc. Instead, we get a downloadable game with DLC that brings the game's total cost to what retail likely would have been. I consider both options fair. And to be honest, I don't know how the clothing was sold for the arcade release. Given Japanese arcades, this model is probably stupid cheap in comparison.

[quote name='SonicXtreme']The DLC is an ok idea but, it costs $30 to buy skins for a fighting game that costs $15. completely cosmetic, i don't see how that's not a rip off, regardless if capcom or every company around does it as well, that black horse is still black. [/QUOTE]
airco made a good point about the $15 cost of the core game. If you're serious about learning all that there is in the game then it'll keep you busy for a long time, long enough to get you more than your money's worth. Additionally, the fact that it's completely cosmetic removes the necessity of buying it. You can still be every bit as competitive as the next person who has bought every bit of DLC for the game without having spent another dime.

[quote name='Thrinn']airco made a good point about the $15 cost of the core game. Additionally, the fact that it's completely cosmetic removes the necessity of buying it. You can still be every bit as competitive as the next person who has bought every bit of DLC for the game without having spent another dime.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's silly to complain about completely optional cosmetic DLC. That kind of content is a good way for publishers to make money without shafting people who only buy the base game since it doesn't deprive anyone of meaningful content.

[quote name='airco']This is more a problem of nobody in the west caring about VF than it is about matches being a best-of-five deal. Like I said, rounds in VF are shorter than their equivalents in other games, so there are more rounds to make up for it. Meaning a 5-round VF match lasts as long as a 3-round SF match (if not shorter).
[/QUOTE]
It feels weird to me that the matches are win 3 rounds instead of 2 simply bc I grew up playing VF 1 and VF 2 in the arcades and those were always set up as a best of 3 unless there was a double knockout, so to me it feels very odd to have the rounds be longer online. I don't know when they switched to bo5 being standard but then again arcades have been dead for a long time lol i miss those good old days. Coupled with the fact online that no one switches their character if you play them more than once, not so much because they are learning the characters, but moreso because sega made a clunky system where you don't select your fighter before every match. Maybe I just played at cheap arcades that set it up for more quarter munchers, but the most intense round to watch is the final round so less final rounds = less intensity to the matches, although i guess this doesn't matter as much when you aren't a bystander watching every other fight in the arcade.

And no matter if the game is popular or unpopular, more lobby recycling = more people hop on and play and stay on instead of playing a different game, so it does hurt the online numbers which really stinks with a game that's (for me) only fun vs people. drives me nuts when these games come out on arcade that are great games, but only good vs people, then they fail to do the little things to encourage as active a community as possible and a year later i have a game stuck at the end of my queue because it's barely played online anymore. like gunstar heroes for example; add drop in/drop out play and the game lives indefinitely. Don't, and as it is, no one ever plays it online. SF3 does all those little things spectacularly, hope SF2HD does as well when my download is done

Almost bought Virtua Fighter a couple times since it was released. Go glad I waited. I guess I'll grab that, and finally break down and get Double Dragon Neon (Not on sale, I know, but I want it.)

[quote name='eastx']Yes. It's silly to complain about completely optional cosmetic DLC. That kind of content is a good way for publishers to make money without shafting people who only buy the base game since it doesn't deprive anyone of meaningful content.[/QUOTE]
Whoah, let's not get ahead of ourselves. My point was that it's a supplement to an extremely cheap game, as opposed to being a supplement to a retail game. I still hate most cosmetic DLC, and if VF5 were selling for retail price, I'd be pissed as hell if the items weren't on disc.

I Still can't seem to bite on Braid and Limbo for some reason still. I Keep hearing good things, but for some reason I can't commit to forking over the points for either one.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Still can't seem to bite on Braid and Limbo for some reason still. I Keep hearing good things, but for some reason I can't commit to forking over the points for either one.[/QUOTE]

2/3 of your current collection is probably made up of lesser games. Go ahead and by these 2.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Still can't seem to bite on Braid and Limbo for some reason still. I Keep hearing good things, but for some reason I can't commit to forking over the points for either one.[/QUOTE]

Both will be cheaper (again) for sure just wait a little lomger Braid was already 400 MSP and I think it's about time that Limbo will drop to 400 MSP as well at some point (christmas daily deals?)

It looks like mostly DLC for me these next couple weeks. I'll pick up the Invasion DLC for Toy Soldiers since I have the other plus both DLCs for Cold War. Plus hopefully the Costume Quest DLC goes on sale. I beat the main game last Halloween. I think I already have the rest of Double Fine's DLC for Trenched or Stacking. I may pick up the new and old Keflings DLC. I wish they would have a NinjaBee sale.

Is the Mini Ninjas game Kinect only? That's the only full game I'm considering. I own most of the others and suck at fighting games.

[quote name='Cleaner7']
Is the Mini Ninjas game Kinect only? That's the only full game I'm considering. I own most of the others and suck at fighting games.[/QUOTE]

Yes, otherwise it will essentially be the other mini ninjas game.

FYI, poking in the OP for the next 30 minutes. I'll update this post when I'm done for the day.

All done ... BobbyTastic can now continue edits. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kill3r7']How's your backlog looking? If you are short of games go for it. I played it some when it first came out. Story was decent enough but the combat was mindnumbingly repetitive. There is fun to be had just not much after the first few hours.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']It has its faults and gets repetitive/tedious (at least to me it did) at times, but when offered the chance to play what is likely the closest I will ever get to a game focused on being Carnage from the Marvelverse I was sold.

I paid 20 and was a bit disappointed, at this price I could live with it no question.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. My backlog is a tad on the big side, so maybe I will just hold off. The video reviews make it look fun as hell to just roam around the city, I guess it's unfortunate that the rest of game isn't a whole lot of fun.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Thanks for the recommendations on ilomilo! I'll get it.

Haven't heard anyone mention the Toy Soldiers dlc, so I guess I'll pass on that unless I absolutely love the game and want more. I have enough games to play, heh.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned it here.

[quote name='ooga']2/3 of your current collection is probably made up of lesser games. Go ahead and by these 2.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with ooga on this, except I'd say that about 85%-90% is made up of lesser games. Do you seriously not like puzzle games at all? If that's the case, I guess I understand. But Braid is amazing, I mentioned earlier that Toy Soldiers is my #2 favorite XBLA game. Well Braid is #1. I paid $15 for it and don't regret it at all. Some of the puzzles are challenging as hell, but (to me) I found them super creative and always fair. Each world gives you a fun new and challenging premise to work with, and even the story is kind of cool.

I own everything but Arkadian Warriors on sale this week. I only need to spend about $200 (regular prices) and I'll have everything I'll ever want from XBLA.....until new stuff is released.

[quote name='Cornelius']FYI, poking in the OP for the next 30 minutes. I'll update this post when I'm done for the day. :)[/QUOTE]

Lol, god damnit you're around sooner than expected. I just finished a massive OP update I had in the works about an hour. I'm just missing Activision and the new Scratch & Match, do you have those done? Also, if you could fix the mess I made, I'd reallyyyy appreciate it. I tried a new approach with the BBcode and it totally backfired on me.

As for what I'm buying, holy crap more than I thought. I'm a huge fighting game fan, so I'm tempted to pick up SF3 & VF5 (never played a VF game before seemed like one of the more boring Japanese ones, but have SF3 on regular Xbox), also was really annoyed by the avalance of DLC for VF5, was at least putting it on sale not an option?

As I said before I've been holding out on DF Live, never thought it'd ACTUALLY get a sale. I'm surprised by all the hate, sure it's a grind sometimes, but aren't most things based on MMOs? Though I always played DF with a loyal companion, that might be why.

REALLY happy to see Braid finally on sale again, been waiting since around the time I bought my Xbox, loved the demo. I already have LIMBO and ilomilo (which I can't recommend enough, especially with the bonuses in Raskulls and a World of Keflings). ilomilo also has some pretty cute avatar stuff, in case that matters to you.

The Activision sale is for the most part a giant repeat but that's not necessarily a bad thing (Assault Heroes 1 & 2, and Geometry Wars 2 were included in that massive Back2School sale, kinda regret picking up the AH games instead of Warp now because of this repeat sale..) but I'm loving seeing WFC for such a low price, had always meant to pick up the game because I got the 2 DLC packs (also on sale during Back2School, and stuff I would have waited on 'till now) but the disk copy is still so expensive. But I see I'm not the only physical-disk lover who is tempted to cave on this. The only GoD I have is Crysis, afterall..

Arkadian Warriors also being on sale despite a price drop not too long ago is nice. Speaking of repeats, it's a shame they're not donating to CoD DLC sale proceeds like last time. Would have been more convinced to pick them up, they must be desperate now for sales if they're gonna have a repeat of a sale that took like 2 years after release to happen.

I'd say Prototype is worth a $10 GoD, there's no DLC to worry about buying either. They missed a big opportunity though to put the Prototype 2 DLC on sale considering all the people who bought it from Best Buy over the last month.

Also, a solid Family DotW, gotta pick up dat Monkey's Island.

And I think I'm finally gonna give in and pick up Fable Heroes if I can afford it. Jesus, this week's expensive, spending another $30 at least. Next week is a little easier since I think I own everything I want by Double Fine (aside from Psychonauts), but that Toy Soldiers sale is so damn tempting.

Damnit Microsoft, if you keep up the sales intensity, all you have to do is start offering free games with a subscription and you'd be wrecking Sony right now.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Lol, god damnit you're around sooner than expected. I just finished a massive OP update I had in the works about an hour. I'm just missing Activision and the new Scratch & Match, do you have those done? Also, if you could fix the mess I made, I'd reallyyyy appreciate it. I tried a new approach with the BBcode and it totally backfired on me.[/QUOTE]
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

Sorry, but going to overwrite your edits, since you're missing the (most-important) Activision titles. I've saved your work, and will re-integrate now ... or later. :)

And until you fix your BBcode editor (or find a new one that doesn't mangle the source), please make your changes manually !!!

I don't mind digital games, is it worth it to grab Transformers for 800 points or just try to wait for it to go on sale and get it at Walmart which has both?

I got Transformers: WFC last time it was on sale for $20. I've played a little bit of it, but it's pretty decent. Definitely worth $10.

[quote name='spiderjedi']I got Transformers: WFC last time it was on sale for $20. I've played a little bit of it, but it's pretty decent. Definitely worth $10.[/QUOTE]

I'm just trying to decide if I want to wait for a sale and risk Walmart either not match it or not have any copies with the included voucher... but I might just bite, I got about a third of the way through and traded it in when it was still getting quite a bit.

Just a quick reminder, SSF2THDR is on the Capcom Digital Collection disc, which is pretty cheap right now (I don't know exactly where to put this on the wiki).

Speaking of HDR, does anyone who has it know how much of the game can be made to be exactly like the original? I remember hearing that the game had an option for the original sprites, but is it also possible to get the original 4:3 AR back? 16:9 just feels iffy for this game.

I also got a code for SSF2THDR when I first bought my Resident Evil Limited 120 GB Xbox this and Resi 5 was included as well as Resi 5 Premium Theme......just saying nothing worth for the OP lol

I know this is a frightfully stupid question and probably unanswerable, but if you had to pick between the Transformers game and Prototype, which would you pick? I'm 200 points short of being able to get both.

[quote name='handsomepete']I know this is a frightfully stupid question and probably unanswerable, but if you had to pick between the Transformers game and Prototype, which would you pick? I'm 200 points short of being able to get both.[/QUOTE]

easy, if you like transformers at all, go with that one. its a great game, and i got kinda bored with prototype (but #2 was pretty good).

For some reason I found this to be extremely funny:

9/18 - 10/15 ... "Fable: The Journey" pre-release re-acquaintance sale
Fable Heroes - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic(55)

As if they needed people to be re-acquainted with the mediocrity that is Fable...

just realized that i have assault heroes one and have never even booted it up. I think i bought it with an older account or something. Looks like im throwin some bing points at 2 :)

with my two purchases of the Walking Dead episodes im up to 800 pts on the Oct promotion. I think I might watch Chernobyl Diaries on Zune. Its really nice knowing that Bing is paying for all of this. Has anyone hit their 64000 pt limit yet/before? Im curious as to about how long that would take...

[quote name='vegivo']anyone know why the price for prototype is still $14.99?[/QUOTE]

No clue. It was $9.99 earlier when I went to see if it had a demo. Stealth price increase? If so, that made my decision a million times easier.

Transformers WFC is still $9.99

[quote name='Dthib87']Is there no releases on xbla tomorrow? I can't find anything besides friday for nights/sonic[/QUOTE]

Those are the next two scheduled releases.

In for Dungen Fighter, Virtua Fighter 5 (probably should have held out for 400msp) and Arkadian Warriors (almost bit for 400 a long time ago, 200 is good enough). Dungeon Fighter will probably move towards the top of the backlog, been interested in that one. Surprised it's on sale already.

Transformers: WfC is still how much?? Glad I bought it during one of those Family Video sales forever ago. $10 was a great deal then, apparently still a good deal. Picked up the DLCs during the last sale. Started to play it but after a level or so kind of lost interest. Would be a ton more fun if I played coop with friends.

Looking forward to next week's sales too. Seriously, what does that make it? Like the fourth week in a row with some good fresh content on sale?

In for Toy Soldiers 1 and the DLCs for 1 and 2. Toy Soldiers will skyrocket to the top of my play list I think. Been wanting to play 2 but refused to play it before the first one knowing it was only a matter of time before it went on sale

Real tempted by Braid, but I'd rather avoid the Sales & Specials app. I'll stew on the possibly of a future sale on this one and make a decision at the end of the week.

I bought Toy Soldiers Cold War when it was on sale last time, but haven't played it yet. I guess I'll give the demo for the first one a try to see if it's worth adding to the backlog. I generally don't like these kinds of games enough to entertain the DLC though.

I'll check out the Arkadian demo too.

Dungeon Fighter demo felt pretty dry to me. Guess I'm not much of a grinder. Tempted by Transformers, but I don't think I'm a big enough fan of the franchise, and oh that backlog...

[quote name='vegivo']anyone know why the price for prototype is still $14.99?[/QUOTE]

Was it a price mistake? Damnit, I wanted it for $9.99. My CAG instincts will not allow 400 more points.

[quote name='croqoa']For some reason I found this to be extremely funny:

9/18 - 10/15 ... "Fable: The Journey" pre-release re-acquaintance sale
Fable Heroes - 400 ($5.00) Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic(55)

As if they needed people to be re-acquainted with the mediocrity that is Fable...[/QUOTE]

As if closing out the app for 4 weeks will raise the Metacritic rating or expectations ... they should just make "Fable Heroes" FREE for anyone that plays "Fable: The Journey" in the first 2 weeks ... that'll at least drive up initial demand. :lol:

And to limelight022 ... thanks for your edits to the OP, but I hope you don't mind that I undid your vandalism.

Why?

Because I care. :p

[quote name='LordVila']Deathsmiles 2 X seems like a horror themed marketplace item to me.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_rewards_support/f/29/p/348902/1807804.aspx#1807804

Send some support my way :)[/QUOTE]Doesn't the game take place during Christmas (I feel like someone will mention Nightmare Before Christmas)? & I never really thought of the series as "horror". It's kind of like saying Plants Vs. Zombies counts as horror because zombies are considered scary. But if it somehow counts, then that might finally motivate me to get the game instead of waiting for it to be on sale.

[quote name='vlv723']Was it a price mistake? Damnit, I wanted it for $9.99. My CAG instincts will not allow 400 more points.[/QUOTE]

I'm there with you... I was going to buy microsoft points tomorrow and buy it for 800 points but 1200 points is way too much. I played it when it first came out.. it was fun but repetitive, worth 5-10 dollars but that extra 5 dollars is too much :p

[quote name='vlv723']Was it a price mistake? Damnit, I wanted it for $9.99. My CAG instincts will not allow 400 more points.[/QUOTE]

This. Ten dollars has become my absolute limit for full games...five for XBLA titles.

[quote name='LordVila']Deathsmiles 2 X seems like a horror themed marketplace item to me.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_rewards_support/f/29/p/348902/1807804.aspx#1807804

Send some support my way :)[/QUOTE]

No idea why this game hasn't gone on sale yet. It's the Japanese rom just brought over (even the achievements pop up in Japanese) and was a on the lowest end for top sellers for GoD. I'd buy it for $10 *maybe* $15 as I enjoyed the first Deathsmiles quite a bit.

[quote name='airco']Just a quick reminder, SSF2THDR is on the Capcom Digital Collection disc, which is pretty cheap right now (I don't know exactly where to put this on the wiki).[/QUOTE]
Good catch ... I was going to (eventually) insert some CAG game-finder prices for the Activision GoD titles (example: $44.99 is still too much for "Prototype 2" as a GoD), and this is another case where the disc is better than buying as a software download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back