XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible that since we are at the end of the month, Bloodforge and Gotham City Imposters are price drops...just a thought. Won't know until xbox actually advertises the cyber monday deals...

Edit: just noticed they were both half off. Usually they drop from 1200 to 800 on price drops so it's probably part of the sale

[quote name='bajingo']

Cainiac, I'm sold, adding stuff to que now. Cold stream sale is up I believe too.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic! Looking forward to it.:bouncy: The AI is terrible from the little bit I tried.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']So I played a few demos...

Real Steel: Robot fighting game. Woo. I am possibly the worst player of fighting games that ever lived, so for this game to feel way too easy is mind-blowing. I'm sure it's more difficult as it progresses but it still gives me pause, still makes me wonder how entertaining it would be over the course of a few hours. I just don't think I'd dig it, so at 400 I'm passing.

The Expendables 2: Isometric run-n'-gun action, my cup of tea! It has low-budget written all over it but I think I could actually enjoy it if I can cope with how vanilla it is. Really the only thing that bothers me is not being able to easily discern where my bullets are flying. Seems like cheap thrills. 600 points still seems like too much for it, but I have to admit I'm considering it.

Bloodforge: Like the other two games, this one has an atrocious Metascore - but for what it's worth, it does have the added benefit of a title update that tweaks the much-maligned camera and smooths out the difficulty. It's unashamed in its straight-up ripping of concepts from God of War, 300, etc. but I thought the combat was fun enough. There's no blocking, only attack after attack with the occasional dodge, though I almost never remember to use the block function in games anyway. heh. The art style leaves a little to be desired but I appreciate the graphic novel vibe they were apparently going for. I think I'll be picking this up to satisfy my hack and slash cravings. There's almost no sense in skipping the demo since it only lasts for about five minutes... no joke.[/QUOTE]

I got the exact same impression from the Expendables demo when I played it a few months ago. You literally cannot tell where you're aiming and where your bullets are going. Major flaw in a twin-stick shooter, since basically all you do is aim and fire.

Bloodforge is an awesome game. You're right on the money, it is a shameless God of War clone, but that's not necessarily a bad thing when it's done right. I'm not sure how much they tweaked the difficulty in the patch, but pre-patch you definitely had to learn how to use the dodge move if you wanted to get through the game.

A little late on the L4D2 questions, but I play the game regularly still so I'll comment.

The Passing:
Pros: New Melee Weapon, Gun & Mutation Mode. Basically, Mutation is good for playing campaigns and getting a few of the chivos like expert as you can have never ending guns with Gib Fest.
Cons: Campaign is arguably the worst. It's three maps so it's far better than Crash Course. the landscape is fun overall, just should've been split a bit and made into 4 maps.

The Sacrifice
Pros: No Mercy is included. It's fairly easy to get a No Mercy versus game going. Great story-centric game. Some awesome Survival mode levels if you're into that.
Cons: Campaign, again, is somewhat weak. Another three level game with the finale recycled from The Passing. Sorry for spoilers, but I think this deserves being addressed as it was pretty much weaksauce.

Cold Stream
Pros: Includes the rest of the L4D one maps. Even if you have all of these, it's still worth it in my opinion as the new enemies changes the dynamics up. Cold Stream is a good campaign. It's pretty easy to get any of the campaigns from this going in versus.
Cons: No chivos or Survival modes were included. I think the latter actually bothers me more.

Overall, I'd absolutely recommend Cold Stream. Again, even if you've played Left 4 Dead to death, the campaigns hold up with the addition of the new enemies, weapons, strategies, etc.

The Passing and The Sacrifice are closer to 50/50. I'd likely go with The Sacrifice though unless you have it for L4D1. The No Mercy bonus campaign is more bang for your buck, the second level survival is my favorite of all time and the versus is way more active. However, if you're looking to get more chivos and differing game experiences, I'd go with The Passing. The Mutations while not all great, have a nice mix of some good stuff to switch things up like only headshots, only swords, only one survival, bleed out where you lose health and can only rely on pills and adrenaline. A lot of the versus ones can be dead (like all Tank mode). Again, these are somewhat of a toss up.

And no, there's no disc version with all or any of the DLC included. Plus, a used disc generally runs around $20-ish most places and a new $30 or up.

OP is updated with the Cyber Monday deals. I included Bloodforge and Gotham City Impostors in the list, they can be moved elsewhere if an official source doesn't include them in a sale listing tomorrow.

I also made a bit of a format change for the new listings. Instead of listing the prices as "XXX ($Y.YY) Microsoft Points" I used "XXX MSP ($Y.YY)". Always bugged me a little having the dollar value in the middle like that. If the new way sticks, great, if others prefer the old way, that's fine.

Also, is there a character limit for posts? When the OP had about 100 listings last week before the Friday only, 10th anniversary and prior DOTW were removed, using the MSP abbreviation would've saved about 1,300 characters.

If anyone out there does not already own Spelunky on XBLA, I cannot stress enough how good of a game it is. It is WELL worth 600 Microsoft Spacebucks, in particular if you took advantage of the MSP Cards that were on BF deals @ retailers or online. Spelunky is a very good, very punishing, game. I was extremely happy with my purchase @ full price for it, and at 50% off now, IMO it's a must-buy! Great game!

[quote name='stryk187']If anyone out there does not already own Spelunky on XBLA, I cannot stress enough how good of a game it is. It is WELL worth 600 Microsoft Spacebucks, in particular if you took advantage of the MSP Cards that were on BF deals @ retailers or online. Spelunky is a very good, very punishing, game. I was extremely happy with my purchase @ full price for it, and at 50% off now, IMO it's a must-buy! Great game![/QUOTE]

Ended up buying it just now. I've heard terrible things about the coop but I've decided to give it a shot.

[quote name='Bloomy']I also made a bit of a format change for the new listings. Instead of listing the prices as "XXX ($Y.YY) Microsoft Points" I used "XXX MSP ($Y.YY)". Always bugged me a little having the dollar value in the middle like that. If the new way sticks, great, if others prefer the old way, that's fine.[/QUOTE]

You have my vote.

Just want to say that despite being much cheaper on Steam, Left 4 Dead 2 is very much worth the $20 Games on Demand sale price, plus whatever the DLC costs. The game is so fun and additive with friends and even randoms. It also lets you mix 2 local players in with online players, which is a great feature you wouldn't get in the PC version. Considering how the Xbox 360 version never drops too low in price, I recommend buying it now if you're interested.

Damn I bought all the L4D2 dlc and sold L4D only to find out that i didn't even have the game. Ended up searching and couldn't find any new copies below $28. Newegg has it new for $27.99 so I went to Glyde and got an excellent copy for $16. Anybody ever buy from them? Is excellent like new?

By the way anybody thinking of getting Space Channel 5, the Dreamcast Collection is down to $10 on amazon. Might be better deal if you want any of the other games on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'm saving my points since the Cyber Monday sale is lackluster. I bought L4D2 Cold Stream at launch and think it's worth the points. As a big fan of the original L4D it's fun playing the old maps with the modifications that L4D2 made. For anyone who never played L4D and is interested in the franchise I recommend buying L4D2 with all DLC and skipping L4D1.

On another note, I rented The Expendables 2 tonight so I'm going to watch that then play the trial for the XBLA game and delete it. From what I hear the game is crap just like the Real Steel one. I enjoyed that movie too.

Someone mentioned I Am Alive is like a game version of The Road and I love that book/movie so I'm going to download the trial now. If I like it I'll probably still pass since it's not 1/2 half and hopefully I can get it at 600 MSP or less. I remember looking forward to it because it was revealed as a downloadable title and received average reviews.

[quote name='Bloomy']OP is updated with the Cyber Monday deals. I included Bloodforge and Gotham City Impostors in the list, they can be moved elsewhere if an official source doesn't include them in a sale listing tomorrow.

I also made a bit of a format change for the new listings. Instead of listing the prices as "XXX ($Y.YY) Microsoft Points" I used "XXX MSP ($Y.YY)". Always bugged me a little having the dollar value in the middle like that. If the new way sticks, great, if others prefer the old way, that's fine.

Also, is there a character limit for posts? When the OP had about 100 listings last week before the Friday only, 10th anniversary and prior DOTW were removed, using the MSP abbreviation would've saved about 1,300 characters.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for updating the OP ... I added a few small edits, such as moving up Cyber Monday to the top of misc. sales (since that's what everyone will want to see), plus added notes to check out the B&M Microsoft stores to find "Tiger Woods 13" or "The Gunstringer" (though I'm sure both are wiped out by now). Also added a new link to Dead Island's GOTY edition @ Walmart for a mere $10.00 with free "site to store" shipping. Bastages! :D

And just to be a true CAG, I added a note on Portal 2's GOD reminding folks that PS3 copies include a PC/Mac license in the box, and they also play cross-platform.

Lastly, both of your suggestions seem perfectly valid for Spylon to adopt, who helps us out with BBcode-compatible text. If you have any other suggestions to his BBcode generation, this is probably a great time to speak up, so he only needs to make those changes once. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Might pick up Cold Stream, debating if I will ever play it on 360 again. I haven't put the game in for over a year and a half and most my friends got the PC version and finally have computers to run it so they can play it with me on there.
Might get Expendables if I get around to the demo, if it were 400 I probably would have just bought without trying.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']So I played a few demos...

Real Steel: Robot fighting game. Woo. I am possibly the worst player of fighting games that ever lived, so for this game to feel way too easy is mind-blowing. I'm sure it's more difficult as it progresses but it still gives me pause, still makes me wonder how entertaining it would be over the course of a few hours. I just don't think I'd dig it, so at 400 I'm passing.
[/QUOTE]
Good choice as it does get progressively harder the very next fight.

http://www.reviewsontherun.com/all/spotlight/real-steel-xbox-360ps3-video-review/

:)

[quote name='the Gooseler']
By the way anybody thinking of getting Space Channel 5, the Dreamcast Collection is down to $10 on amazon. Might be better deal if you want any of the other games on there.[/QUOTE]

I'm buying Space Channel 5 for 400msp. Sure the Dreamcast Collection disc is cheap now, but since i have zero interest for the other three games, there is no point buying it. Plus i don't like these XBLA compilation discs (no install option).

Is Gotham City Imposters mp community still active?

Is it hard to find games on Gotham City Imposters? Are the games full of people who are like maxed out prestiged 3 times or so? :p Or is it easy enough to find competive, balanced games?

I can't believe I missed the HQR sale. :whistle2:( I totally didn't see it, only saw that it WAS on sale a few days ago on xbldb.com . >.<

Well, Batman AC DLC typically goes on sale pretty often, so maybe HQR will be on sale again in a few months...or a I score the GOTY edition below $20, that would work too.

[quote name='the Gooseler']Damn I bought all the L4D2 dlc and sold L4D only to find out that i didn't even have the game. Ended up searching and couldn't find any new copies below $28. Newegg has it new for $27.99 so I went to Glyde and got an excellent copy for $16. Anybody ever buy from them? Is excellent like new?

By the way anybody thinking of getting Space Channel 5, the Dreamcast Collection is down to $10 on amazon. Might be better deal if you want any of the other games on there.[/QUOTE]
buy the GOD for $20

Well I grabbed Real Steel last night and I'm enjoying it. I've only played the initial robot several times to practice the moves and build up some cash but so far I'm having fun with it. It's the kind of a game I'll jump in and play for a bit here and there. May not be for everyone but I can think of a dozen games off the top of my head that I paid 400+ for and NEVER play so this seems like a decent purchase so far.

[quote name='Zidail']A bit late, but just realized that on the Hong Kong marketplace, Portal 2 and L4D2 are 1240 Points each.[/QUOTE]

Wowza, those are good deals!

[quote name='Zidail']A bit late, but just realized that on the Hong Kong marketplace, Portal 2 and L4D2 are 1240 Points each.[/QUOTE]

Each of these are currently 960msp on Hungarian marketplace. ;)

Anyone else notice that on MajorNelson's blog about the CyberMonday sale, he mentions before the list of games that "The Xbox Live Marketplace team has placed the following content on sale for 50% off today." And of course Shadow Complex is listed at 1200MSP standard price and 800 for the discounted price.
* I wonder if we could all tweet him and say that 1/2 of 1200 is 600, and MAYBE he could pull some strings with the Xbox Live team, and give us the 600pts we're at LEAST looking for ?!!

One can dream can't he ?!

[quote name='Sath666']Gotham City Impostors is Free to Play on PC (Steam), so i'll skip the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Shoot dude, virtually any game that's on both services will cost less on Steam. It goes without saying.

[quote name='Tarheel76']Anyone else notice that on MajorNelson's blog about the CyberMonday sale, he mentions before the list of games that "The Xbox Live Marketplace team has placed the following content on sale for 50% off today." And of course Shadow Complex is listed at 1200MSP standard price and 800 for the discounted price.
* I wonder if we could all tweet him and say that 1/2 of 1200 is 600, and MAYBE he could pull some strings with the Xbox Live team, and give us the 600pts we're at LEAST looking for ?!!

One can dream can't he ?![/QUOTE]

These things didn't work like that. Clearly Major Nelson has made mistake, like most of his Marketplace deals posts. Also, how you guys still didn't have one of the best XBLA games at this point? 0_0

[quote name='eastx']Shoot dude, virtually any game that's on both services will cost less on Steam. It goes without saying.[/QUOTE]

I said this, because Gotham City is FREE. So what's the point from your comment then, dude?

[quote name='Sath666']I said this, because Gotham City is FREE. So what's the point from your comment then, dude?[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's just making a valid point that doesn't require a vaguely hostile response?

[quote name='Bloomy']...I also made a bit of a format change for the new listings. Instead of listing the prices as "XXX ($Y.YY) Microsoft Points" I used "XXX MSP ($Y.YY)". Always bugged me a little having the dollar value in the middle like that...[/QUOTE]
I think this is a good format change, nice work.

[quote name='abhinav']Ended up buying it just now. I've heard terrible things about the coop but I've decided to give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't heard anything about the coop but I picked up and played about 8 hours over the weekend with my nephew and brother in law. It was a blast. The game is awesome and has so much replay value. Well worth it for singleplayer and multiplayer. Deathmatch default settings don't feel perfect but with a little tweaking the deathmatch mode is pretty awesome.

I highly recommend Gotham City Imposters for 600MSP. Bought it at full price at release and have no regrets. Still playing weekly sessions w/ my friends and haven't had any trouble finding matches. I keep thinking I'll get tired of it every week before we play, but it never happens. Highly recommended, but I'll admit it's better if you have someone to play/chat with.

[quote name='Sath666']
I said this, because Gotham City is FREE. So what's the point from your comment then, dude?[/QUOTE]
It's not free for this platform so it being free on something else is meaningless.

People like playing their consoles on their couch or in bed, and yes, I know that people can hook it up so you can do all that but that's a very small number of people. Also it costs more to set up a PC to do that so your argument about the game being free elsewhere means that the total costs is higher then it is here.

Had I gotten any of those $10 points cards I would have sprung for I Am Alive, but I didn't and eventually it will be 1/2 off so I'll play the waiting game.

Had to thrown down for SVC: Monster World collect. Sega sure cranked out some gems back then.

Waiting for a SVC: Zillion collection or Shining Force one too!!

[quote name='destro4eva']Waiting for a SVC: Zillion collection or Shining Force one too!![/QUOTE]

I'd be all over Zillion in a second. I wish they'd do a collection of puzzle games -- Baku Baku Animal and Penguin Land both come to mind. I spent hours playing Baku Baku on the Saturn.

[quote name='Sath666']Each of these are currently 960msp on Hungarian marketplace. ;)[/QUOTE]
Not sure if it's been posted recently (I'm sure it has been at some point) so others might benefit from this question too...

I made up a Hungarian account...what's the best way to put points on it? Bing? How about buying cards on amazon?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']It's not free for this platform so it being free on something else is meaningless.[/QUOTE]

I personally think that's the whole problem. Why should publishers charge money for a digital game on one system and offer it for free on the other? I don't know if there are any differences between the two versions in terms of extras, but the Steam version has 412 achievements and runs on my 2007 desktop. Just seems like an underhanded marketing tactic; it's not done on individual basis or anything, one group of gamers simply gets your paid content for free for the lulz.

I'm an indiscriminate gamer; I'll play whatever interests me regardless of system, and I migrate to whatever version is cheapest. I just don't think it's right that people have to pay for 360 games I can get for free on Steam. Goes for L4D2 DLC as well.

[quote name='Blade']I personally think that's the whole problem. Why should publishers charge money for a digital game on one system and offer it for free on the other? I don't know if there are any differences between the two versions in terms of extras, but the Steam version has 412 achievements and runs on my 2007 desktop. Just seems like an underhanded marketing tactic; it's not done on individual basis or anything, one group of gamers simply gets your paid content for free for the lulz.[/QUOTE]

It was a paid 15 dollar game at one point on the PC... and, actually, I'm pretty sure it still is as you can, or at least you could, buy it via GfWL so its not so much a underhanded tactic as one to make sure their as profitable as they can be.

[quote name='destro4eva']

Waiting for a SVC: Zillion collection or Shining Force one too!![/QUOTE]

I would KILL (yes I do mean murder someone) if they put one out with a fully translated Shining Force III. Shining Force II is probably my all-time favorite game.
C'mon Sega, make it happen!

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It was a paid 15 dollar game at one point on the PC... and, actually, I'm pretty sure it still is as you can, or at least you could, buy it via GfWL so its not so much a underhanded tactic as one to make sure their as profitable as they can be.[/QUOTE]

It was half off within a month and a half. The F2P and previous iteration are two separate entities.

[quote name='ooga']I would KILL (yes I do mean murder someone) if they put one out with a fully translated Shining Force III. Shining Force II is probably my all-time favorite game.
C'mon Sega, make it happen![/QUOTE]

While not my #1, it is pretty damn close.

I don't get why they just didn't make a Vintage Collection out of the AM2/Model 2 fighting games. I'm sure some people are glad it's 400 MSP/$5 for just 1 game of their choice rather than 800 MSP/$10 for three (plus knowing Sega, they'll be on sale for 200 MSP, totaling 600 MSP/$7.50 for all 3), but just seems kind of weird considering they did 4 collections of games, but then 3 fighting games built around the same arcade board aren't bundled together in a collection.

[quote name='bajingo']I've learned to be very wary of MP only games on xbla. There's just too many games out there right now, a community dies to fast on those (exceptions such as bf1943).

Cainiac, I'm sold, adding stuff to que now. Cold stream sale is up I believe too.[/QUOTE]

add me to the list too fellas, i have a few friends who have it as well... im still wondering which DLC packs I should get.

I played the demo last night, and well... anything running on the source engine is a friend of mine.

As for the GCI queries. I loved the SHIT out of that game from December (beta) to April... then the multiplayer took a dive and most matches you find now is fill full of nothing but exploiters. When the game went free to play on steam the XBL community went with it i suppose.

[quote name='Zonic505']I don't get why they just didn't make a Vintage Collection out of the AM2/Model 2 fighting games. I'm sure some people are glad it's 400 MSP/$5 for just 1 game of their choice rather than 800 MSP/$10 for three (plus knowing Sega, they'll be on sale for 200 MSP, totaling 600 MSP/$7.50 for all 3), but just seems kind of weird considering they did 4 collections of games, but then 3 fighting games built around the same arcade board aren't bundled together in a collection.[/QUOTE]

It works better for those who care about gamescore though:

Individually: 3 X 400 = 1200 GS
Collection: 1 X 400 = 400 GS

Sorry everyone and my apologies, I want to buy Spelunky, but I don't have enough microsoft points(. Can someone inbox me 80 msp please?

[quote name='Tohis']Sorry everyone and my apologies, I want to buy Spelunky, but I don't have enough microsoft points(. Can someone inbox me 80 msp please?[/QUOTE]
Then spend $5 and buy a 400 point code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back