XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really tempted to bite on AC II / Brotherhood - played through the original this year and really dug it, and picked up Revelations on sale. So do I wait and hope for a complete saga box set in the US, or just buy the games now.... they rarely ever go below $15, I notice

Wait, there was a glitch that let people get the Halo 4 map pack for free??
Congrats to anyone who got it !

I remember a few years ago when the same thing happened with Fable II and I managed to snag it. In case anyone's wondering the ramifications of this, if they let you keep it (like they did with Fable II), then they remove it from your DL history so you can't access it again.

Anyways, what's everyone's thoughts on the map pack? I got it a few hours ago (LE pass thing) and I put in a few rounds. They seem fairly decent, although once again, some of the maps don't fit the gametype.

[quote name='mrclutch']Have we heard what the deals are for Tuesday yet?[/QUOTE]

That's a nice and original question. It'd be a real shame if something were to happen to it... An accident... :cool:

[quote name='Rollobobo']Is anyone else excited for new Pinball FX2 tables tomorrow?!?!!? The Zen classics!!!!! I'm in![/QUOTE]

i'm still waiting for pinball arcade to get the tables the psn version has had for months

[quote name='eastx']That's a nice and original question. It'd be a real shame if something were to happen to it... An accident... :cool:[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='dirtyvu']I can see them removing it from the purchase history so that if you ever need to redownload it again, you're screwed.

Otherwise, they can't do anything once it's on your hard drive.[/QUOTE]
That's what I'd expect them to do.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's what I'd expect them to do.[/QUOTE]

They never had done such a thing before as far as I know and I got a couple of things that were accidently listed as free WCR on GoD, some avatar items and some dlc =P soooo highly doubt that =P

[quote name='boris1']forza rally expansion comes out next week for $20 but it comes with $50 season pass and could that go on sale for 12 days of christmas for half off so for $5 more I could get season pass I really want to get the expansion day 1 but could wait a week anyone know?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cthomer5000']That is an amazing run-on sentence.[/QUOTE]

is Dragon's Lair worth it at 400 points because I've been meaning to check out this game for years I really like the artist Don Bluth because he animated some great films like The Secret of Nimh, Fievel goes west, an american tail, land before time, all dogs go to heaven, rock-a-doodle and several others, but the Dragons Lair 360 version only has a 41 metacritic score, but I wouldn't expect it to have a very high score because it is a 30 year old game that can be played on a laserdisc player or dvd player, but this 360 version has kinect integration, I don't have a kinect but I read it can be played with a standard 360 controller, but today is the last day it's 50% off so does anyone think it is worth it for 400 microsoft points?

i dont know if you can tell but I'm starting to think that run on sentences are very very fun especially if you use little to no punctuation, so now I think I understand why nameispep or pepsiman or whatever his name is enjoys doing this so much.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']is Dragon's Lair worth it at 400 points...[/QUOTE]Reading through the review summaries it looks like most of the negative reviews took issue with the amount of content, and probably rightfully so. It's been a long time since I've played DL1, but if memory serves right once you've memorized everything the game can be played through from beginning to end in like 10 minutes. IMO the game basically invented the concept of trial-and-error gameplay. The game can be frustrating while you're learning to play it and too easy once you've completed it. The game is remembered purely for its technical achievements and not its gameplay, therefore it doesn't hold up very well by today's standards.

If you've played one of the other dozen ports of the game before then you know what to expect. I'd say it'd only be worth buying if you have some sort of nostalgia for the series.

re: Assassin's Creed--

The 'philosophy' behind AC1 stands leagues above the cartoon drama of AC2, but the gameplay is seriously improved in the second game . . . so it depends on what drives you.

I forced myself through AC1 because I was interested in the way they were rewriting history, with the major thesis drawing from Dostoevsky. In the end, AC2 is technically building atop that foundation, but I didn't enjoy the story nearly as much because Ezio's motivations seemed like petty revenge to me. The first few revenge fantasies you read (or watch or play) are interesting, but I've seen enough that they feel all too juvenile to me by now . . . Altair's motivations were far more interesting.

I put about 16 hours into AC2 over the summer and burnt out, but picked it up again and rushed through the storyline to get it off my harddrive last night. The ending almost redeemed the silliness, by being infinitely more absurdly silly, but now I'm not sure if I should put much time into Brotherhood or just skip to Revelations like my brother suggested.

[quote name='boris1']forza rally expansion comes out next week for $20 but it comes with $50 season pass and could that go on sale for 12 days of christmas for half off so for $5 more I could get season pass I really want to get the expansion day 1 but could wait a week anyone know?[/QUOTE]

No neither DLC will be part of the 12 Days Sale, they haven't even been released yet, but when they do go on sale they will probably not be Half Off at first, however some of us who got $20 MSPs for $10 are getting EVERYTHING at Half Off forever.

It might, it might not. Last year both Gears and Forza 4 had their season passes on sale even though all of the content hadn't been released yet.

So I would suggest holding off for now.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It might, it might not. Last year both Gears and Forza 4 had their season passes on sale even though all of the content hadn't been released yet.

So I would suggest holding off for now.[/QUOTE]
For around 33% off or so if I remember right.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']is Dragon's Lair worth it at 400 points because I've been meaning to check out this game for years I really like the artist Don Bluth because he animated some great films like The Secret of Nimh, Fievel goes west, an american tail, land before time, all dogs go to heaven, rock-a-doodle and several others, but the Dragons Lair 360 version only has a 41 metacritic score, but I wouldn't expect it to have a very high score because it is a 30 year old game that can be played on a laserdisc player or dvd player, but this 360 version has kinect integration, I don't have a kinect but I read it can be played with a standard 360 controller, but today is the last day it's 50% off so does anyone think it is worth it for 400 microsoft points?

i dont know if you can tell but I'm starting to think that run on sentences are very very fun especially if you use little to no punctuation, so now I think I understand why nameispep or pepsiman or whatever his name is enjoys doing this so much.[/QUOTE]

1. I read this entire post in Boomhauer's voice.

2. Don't buy Dragon's Lair even for 400 points.

[quote name='Brother Daz']If you plan on buying all the dlc that's released, yes[/QUOTE]
What are the price range by the way and is it for the whole year?

[quote name='Thrinn']Reading through the review summaries it looks like most of the negative reviews took issue with the amount of content, and probably rightfully so. It's been a long time since I've played DL1, but if memory serves right once you've memorized everything the game can be played through from beginning to end in like 10 minutes. IMO the game basically invented the concept of trial-and-error gameplay. The game can be frustrating while you're learning to play it and too easy once you've completed it. The game is remembered purely for its technical achievements and not its gameplay, therefore it doesn't hold up very well by today's standards.

If you've played one of the other dozen ports of the game before then you know what to expect. I'd say it'd only be worth buying if you have some sort of nostalgia for the series.[/QUOTE]

very few people have ever played through and memorized Dragon's Lair. That's why it takes forever to get through Dragon's Lair and the reason people stopped well short of finishing it. The reason is you don't play the game in sequence. When you die, the game puts you on the next random sequence. So it's not like you can do trial and error which is the key to memorizing a sequence. Let's say you pressed "up" on a scene and died. You might not encounter that scene again for another 10 sequences and by that time you forgot that you pressed up to fail it. And then you end up pressing "up" again. this is why it's nearly impossible to "learn" the game.

now, game guides and the Internet have changed things. If you do follow a guide verbatim, then the actual game is short. But if you actually play the game without using a cheat, it's much longer. And the guide doesn't help you at all if you miss a step because of the random sequences. Not unless you like starting all over so that the guide works.

and the random sequences was due to the laser disc technology of the original game. Because of poor seek times of optical media, when you died, the laser would go to the very next closest destination on the disc so that the gamer didn't have to wait for the laser to track back. The head would not track back to the location of the sequence that you had just played.

now, the new Dragon's Lair (the Kinect version) addressed the original game's shortcomings.

adventure mode is where you can't fail. if you do the wrong action, it'll flash a different color so that you know. it's basically an interactive movie that let's you finish. 95% of people have never seen the ending of Dragon's Lair by playing it.

there's also arcade mode which is just like the original. meaning all the same frustrations (random scenes).

then there's the home mode. where you stay on the same scene until you solve it. this is the mode that let's you learn the moves of each scene.

also, the new DL version also has the Kinect mode and it has the co-op mode. never played co-op so don't know how it works.

Just want to let you guys know I let my XBL gold expire....so this week's sales should be awesome and filled with things I wanted to buy LoL

[quote name='Bloomy']It's Xbox Support, and the conversation is still there. The post you quoted copied a shortened URL from a different post. Below is the full link (the text in the post is shortened again, but the hyperlink is correct).

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/278254316253507584[/QUOTE]

That conversation thread has it all.

1 dumb guy asks a question and gets it answered, then asks the EXACT SAME question again.

1 guy cussing at the original dumb guy.

2 entitled whiners who think MS owes them something because of this mistake.

1 lunatic threatening a baseless lawsuit.

Hilarious!

[quote name='tylerh1701']That conversation thread has it all.

1 dumb guy asks a question and gets it answered, then asks the EXACT SAME question again.

1 guy cussing at the original dumb guy.

2 entitled whiners who think MS owes them something because of this mistake.

1 lunatic threatening a baseless lawsuit.

Hilarious![/QUOTE]

The funny thing is one of the people is demanding to double the price on the other two future maps to make up for the whole fiasco. :lol:

[quote name='Rohsiph']re: Assassin's Creed--

The 'philosophy' behind AC1 stands leagues above the cartoon drama of AC2, but the gameplay is seriously improved in the second game . . . so it depends on what drives you.

I forced myself through AC1 because I was interested in the way they were rewriting history, with the major thesis drawing from Dostoevsky. In the end, AC2 is technically building atop that foundation, but I didn't enjoy the story nearly as much because Ezio's motivations seemed like petty revenge to me. The first few revenge fantasies you read (or watch or play) are interesting, but I've seen enough that they feel all too juvenile to me by now . . . Altair's motivations were far more interesting.

I put about 16 hours into AC2 over the summer and burnt out, but picked it up again and rushed through the storyline to get it off my harddrive last night. The ending almost redeemed the silliness, by being infinitely more absurdly silly, but now I'm not sure if I should put much time into Brotherhood or just skip to Revelations like my brother suggested.[/QUOTE]Thanks for your thoughts on this. Probably the first time I've heard anyone claim that AC1 was better in any way than the sequel. I appreciated the first one for similar reasons as well, though Altair took some time to grow on me, by the end I was really into the story and philosophy behind it. Still, I'll get to AC2 (and Brotherhood, and Revelations, and 3) at some point...

[quote name='lupe guillotine']The funny thing is one of the people is demanding to double the price on the other two future maps to make up for the whole fiasco. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah I saw that too! And he was saying either he wanted his money back or for MS to charge everyone else, as if others being charged would somehow benefit him in some way.

[quote name='dirtyvu']it's basically an interactive movie that let's you finish.

this is the mode that let's you learn the moves of each scene.

also, the new DL version also has the Kinect mode and it has the co-op mode. never played co-op so don't know how it works.[/QUOTE]

Don't get mad at me for pointing this out, but let's is a contraction for let us. You're looking for the synonym of allows, which is lets.

As for the co-op mode, it's a largely worthless 2-player alternating mode in which one player takes over when the other player fails and vice versa. More details in our review at Co-Optimus.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dirtyvu']I can see them removing it from the purchase history so that if you ever need to redownload it again, you're screwed. Otherwise, they can't do anything once it's on your hard drive.[/QUOTE]
Actually, they can't even remove it from your purchase history unless for some strange reason, neither the publisher nor Microsoft bear the rights to distribute that item to original purchasers ... and we can't see that happening for a Halo 4 Map Pack, can we? You went through the transaction in good faith that you were paying "0 MSP" for the item, so that's what you & Microsoft have agreed upon as the price.

The ONLY item I've seen where MS swapped out the item was when Fable II was attempted to be sold in 1gb episodes, but they mistakenly refreshed "episode 1" as the full 6.5gb GoD game. If you attempt to re-download, you'll only get "episode 1", but if you have the original downloaded file, you have the full Fable II game. Even then, it still exists in my download history.

BTW, regarding the OP, I saw everyone did a great job to update it, but the only section that never got updated was the "Sales & Specials" app, and I also forgot to refresh that section as well. So I've merely blanked it out tonight, and will check back tomorrow to ensure it gets filled in. :)

[quote name='Bloomy']It's Xbox Support, and the conversation is still there. The post you quoted copied a shortened URL from a different post. Below is the full link (the text in the post is shortened again, but the hyperlink is correct).[/QUOTE]Sweet! Glad to be in the wrong on that. :)

Tropico 4 based sale this week. Got to admit that I didn't see this coming. The GoD of Tropico 4 is going to be 1600 points and the Modern Times add on is going to be 600 points.

[quote name='TommyLove']what is tropico? Is it a RTS game? I remember seeing it on PC I believe[/QUOTE]
Kinda like Civilization or Sim City, but you're a dictator trying to run a country.

Deal of the week:
Tropico 4 - Plantador 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Junta 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Bonus Pack 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Modern Times 1200 MSP (Save 600 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Quick-dry Cement 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
They're all DLC to the game.

[quote name='TommyLove']Deal of the week:
They're all DLC to the game.[/QUOTE]

Prices haven't updated yet and you're missing Tropico 4 for $20/1600 points after discount.

[quote name='bardockkun']Prices haven't updated yet and you're missing Tropico 4 for $20/1600 points after discount.[/QUOTE]
Hm, when I last checked I saw it at $29.99. The game sound like a lot of fun. I remember I loved playing Sims city back in the days.

[quote name='bardockkun']Kinda like Civilization or Sim City, but you're a dictator trying to run a country.[/QUOTE]

Way more Sim City than Civlization. I don't think I would even both those two games in the same category together.

[quote name='eastx']Don't get mad at me for pointing this out, but let's is a contraction for let us. You're looking for the synonym of allows, which is lets.

As fr the co-op mode, it's a largely worthless 2-player alternating mode in which one player takes over when the other player fails and vice versa. More details in our review at Co-Optimus.[/QUOTE]

haha. considering I typed an essay in a couple of minutes (fast and furious), I think some mistakes are allowable. just like signals get crossed in your head when typing fast, and you type there when you meant they're.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']The losers deals from the sales App is just Bomberman DLC.[/QUOTE]

Wish they were at least for the battlefest edition *sigh* =/ nothing for me this week

[quote name='TommyLove']Deal of the week:
They're all DLC to the game.[/QUOTE]

Tropico 4 is actually a pretty fun game. I think I am only going to pick up Modern Times because it appears to be the only one with achievements.

[quote name='Felder71']Woah, Kinect Party will be free? Awesome! My son loves the first one. This is the best deal yet![/QUOTE]
He's right. Looks like Major Nelson posted the upcoming content and here's the four major things I got from it-

1. Kinect Party releases December 18 and is FREE till 12/31

2. Deal of the Week next week is Serious Sam stuff

3. The countdown to 2013 is Dec 18 - Dec 31, so that means 14 DAYS OF DEALS versus 12 we've had in the past

4. THQ weekend sale Dec 14 - Dec 17

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Thanks for your thoughts on this. Probably the first time I've heard anyone claim that AC1 was better in any way than the sequel. I appreciated the first one for similar reasons as well, though Altair took some time to grow on me, by the end I was really into the story and philosophy behind it. Still, I'll get to AC2 (and Brotherhood, and Revelations, and 3) at some point...[/QUOTE]

To add another interesting view on which is better -- my wife actually thought AC1 was more interesting to watch me play, since she liked the exploration and flag collection better than the actual assassinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back