XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='doodofdoods']With episode 1 free, that would mean the complete season would only cost $10. That would make it even cheaper than the steam deal. Find it hard to believe XBLA could beat steam, but we'll see. I would actually buy the episodes if they were 200 a piece. As it is now I'm just planning on grabbing the free episode.[/QUOTE]
My guess is 300-320 MSP apiece ... since you're getting Episode 1 for free, and the Season Pass on PSN is $20. Therefore, paying $15 - $16 for all 5 episodes is still technically a better deal than what PSN gets. PS+ would be around the same price, as long as you caught both ep's 1 & 2 during their short "free" period, and this Countdown to 2013 is currently no better than PSN's own year-end sale.

I grabbed Dust and Deadlight.

I'm surprised at how awesome Deadlight is. I really wasn't expecting much when I loaded up the demo, but I was convinced to buy it pretty quickly.

Picked up Dust.

Now all that's left is to get the Skyrim DLC at the end of the month. Hopefully the 1000 points I have left lets me net both of those without issue.

[quote name='VersionJ']I'm definately interested in joining groups. It would be nice to hunt achievements and play online with my older backlog games. I've been a member of x360a.com for a while and they've been really helpful with stuff like that.[/QUOTE]
x360a is OK, but TrueAchievements is truly awesome, especially when you're talking about finding partners for older games. I was able to get a Splosion Man partner recently to finally run through the multiplayer, and was even able to find someone local to go through the GH3 local co-op. You set up gaming sessions and get feedback on other gamers based on whether they were cool or a dick in their sessions. They have it down to a science, keeping track of your sessions and e-mailing reminders before they start. Honestly, it sounds like what a lot of you guys are looking for. TA.com is one of the main reasons I get all my cross-platforms on the 360, since I know I'll be able to set up a gaming session with ease. It's also great at tracking your achievements and telling you the relative difficulty of any achievement if you're into that.

And with that, I'll stop shilling.

Oh, and I picked up Dust and Deadlight since the Target sale has left me with zero restraint. Hell, I paid full price for ME3 Omega today. For shame.

[quote name='doodofdoods']With episode 1 free, that would mean the complete season would only cost $10. That would make it even cheaper than the steam deal. Find it hard to believe XBLA could beat steam, but we'll see. I would actually buy the episodes if they were 200 a piece. As it is now I'm just planning on grabbing the free episode.[/QUOTE]
The full season on PC is $10 at GameFly right now.

[quote name='Ltrain8765']I do not think you are paranoid at all. I would not be surpirsed if the free episode 1 is the only discount. I am just hoping for any discount[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised if no discount I feel it would be very odd to have one of the days with no sale

DOH! Here i am thinking the game Dust: an elysian tail, was From Dust. Two different games. I wanted to get from dust. Oh well.

Since borderlands GoD is 19.99 do you think it will be on sale for 10 bucks?

Might wait on Dust for a potential Steam release, but it's tempting.

I thought that perhaps people were exaggerating when they talked about how bad THPS HD's physics were - then I downloaded the trial and kept crashing in ways that'd never happen in the original. There were times where I looked like I was going to land properly and STILL crashed, too, and I don't like the idea of failing being left to chance no matter what I do.

So I passed on it. Sad, too, because I would've loved an honest-to-goodness HD port of the originals. Loved those games to death when I was growing up.

[quote name='bshirk']Might wait on Dust for a potential Steam release, but it's tempting.[/QUOTE]

yeah I bought it thinking there was no pc release then I saw afterwards there was a pc teaser, oh well I guess.

After collecting 24 cubes in Fez, I'm already kind of bored with it. I heard it get's interesting after 32 cubes, but I don't know if I'll have the patience to track down the others. The map is a mess and not particularly useful, which doesn't make things easier. The game really doesn't offer you much help or hints at where to go next at all. Some people might like this fact, as it seems more "retro" that way, but I'd prefer a more guided approach. It starts to feel more like "work" at a certain point. Anyway, glad I waited for a pricedrop on that one... just wanted to add my 2 cents.

As for the rest of the sale, I'll probably end up buying Bully along with perhaps the Walking Dead if the price is right. Already picked up Mark of the Ninja and Dust.

[quote name='kidrocklive']yeah I bought it thinking there was no pc release then I saw afterwards there was a pc teaser, oh well I guess.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know there was a PC teaser. Did it mention a release date?

[quote name='simmias']x360a is OK, but TrueAchievements is truly awesome, especially when you're talking about finding partners for older games. I was able to get a Splosion Man partner recently to finally run through the multiplayer, and was even able to find someone local to go through the GH3 local co-op. You set up gaming sessions and get feedback on other gamers based on whether they were cool or a dick in their sessions. They have it down to a science, keeping track of your sessions and e-mailing reminders before they start. Honestly, it sounds like what a lot of you guys are looking for. TA.com is one of the main reasons I get all my cross-platforms on the 360, since I know I'll be able to set up a gaming session with ease. It's also great at tracking your achievements and telling you the relative difficulty of any achievement if you're into that.[/QUOTE]

I'd say both sites are good for different reasons. X360A is nice for it's achievement road maps and games themselves tend to have more discussion in the sense of an actual form than what TA does. So if a TA guide doesn't have what I'm looking for, I'll look on X360A. I prefer TA though as there's more to the site and I find the news to be updated there much more frequent. Sessions are a lot easier to find and create as well. Problem is, if it's not a boosting session, people don't tend to join from my experience. So doing a "for fun" type of group may be what the doctor ordered.

[quote name='fatboyjam']I think we're on the same page here. What if we used the CAG groups to do something like this:

CAG Card and Board Group

Just a quick little mockup of a group that's pretty niched and specific (so it'd appeal to that type of gamer and promote a little community.) It could include discussions for planning game nights, achievement hunting, maybe strategy, etc.

I know it's off topic and the sales are about to pick up again. However, if anybody's interested in fleshing this out, please PM me. Maybe we can work out a format that would be appealing to this forum and then add a few links for these groups to the 1st or 2nd post of this forum to build it.[/QUOTE]

Not to shabby. I'll admit I originally thought of running a thread when I first saw your idea, but doing groups may be better. Only problem with running a thread is it could easily get cluttered and if interest died off, it could fade off into obscurity.

Admittedly have never used groups before. Not sure how active they tend to be, but could be better for the sake of organization.

A little burned out right now from work (retail is hell this time of year), but maybe I'll see if I can figure something out in a couple days.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I thought that perhaps people were exaggerating when they talked about how bad THPS HD's physics were - then I downloaded the trial and kept crashing in ways that'd never happen in the original. There were times where I looked like I was going to land properly and STILL crashed, too, and I don't like the idea of failing being left to chance no matter what I do.

So I passed on it. Sad, too, because I would've loved an honest-to-goodness HD port of the originals. Loved those games to death when I was growing up.[/QUOTE]

The Dreamcast versions support 480p through VGA.

Xbox 1 version of THPS 2X supports progressive scan.

Both are better alternatives than the XBLA abomination.

[quote name='wEEman33']The Dreamcast versions support 480p through VGA.

Xbox 1 version of THPS 2X supports progressive scan.

Both are better alternatives than the XBLA abomination.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try to keep an eye out for 2x. I read elsewhere that it runs well on the 360, so that makes it easier on me (seeing as I no longer have an Xbox and don't have a Dreamcast).

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I thought that perhaps people were exaggerating when they talked about how bad THPS HD's physics were - then I downloaded the trial and kept crashing in ways that'd never happen in the original. There were times where I looked like I was going to land properly and STILL crashed, too, and I don't like the idea of failing being left to chance no matter what I do.

So I passed on it. Sad, too, because I would've loved an honest-to-goodness HD port of the originals. Loved those games to death when I was growing up.[/QUOTE]

Doubly-disappointing, considering that several members of the "Robomodo" studio came from Neversoft. I get the feeling this was a Microsoft-mandated deadline to ship, since 4 out of the 5 SOA'12 titles were from Microsoft, and THPSHD was the single 3rd-party title (from Activision, no less), which I believe was reconciliation for leaving Activision out of the "House Party 2012" (to share the spotlight with EA, MS, THQ, and Ubisoft). I'm sure Xbox Marketing has FABULOUS data to justify why any developer/publisher should be happy to publish during SOA/HP. But honestly, between both campaigns forcing multiplayer shooters down our throats, combined with the less-than-stellar performance of "Super Meat Boy" and "Fez" to release quickly (merely to coincide with Microsoft's own release date plans) ... I think most developers/publishers should instead hold their ground, and release highly-anticipated titles when they're ready, even at the expense of fewer marketing dollars in the 4 weeks leading up to Microsoft's lackluster campaigns.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I'm going to try to keep an eye out for 2x. I read elsewhere that it runs well on the 360, so that makes it easier on me (seeing as I no longer have an Xbox and don't have a Dreamcast).[/QUOTE]

ANY of the disc-based Tony Hawk games (on gamepad, at least) will run at 1080p & give more satisfaction!

[quote name='PrarieD0G']After collecting 24 cubes in Fez, I'm already kind of bored with it. I heard it get's interesting after 32 cubes, but I don't know if I'll have the patience to track down the others. The map is a mess and not particularly useful, which doesn't make things easier. The game really doesn't offer you much help or hints at where to go next at all. Some people might like this fact, as it seems more "retro" that way, but I'd prefer a more guided approach. It starts to feel more like "work" at a certain point. Anyway, glad I waited for a pricedrop on that one... just wanted to add my 2 cents.

As for the rest of the sale, I'll probably end up buying Bully along with perhaps the Walking Dead if the price is right. Already picked up Mark of the Ninja and Dust.[/QUOTE]

The first 32 cubes are kind of like main game, and the second 32 cubes are more like the challenge mode. I think the game is made or broke in the 2nd half of the game, and for me the whole 2nd half fell flat .

[quote name='Lemstar']The full season on PC is $10 at GameFly right now.[/QUOTE]
$12.49 is a funny way of saying $10. Steam's winter sale will assuredly also have it as the community's choice for $12.49 on Sunday, Dec. 23rd (starting @ 7:30am PST), since the other 2 community choices it's up against are "Deponia" and "Deadlight". :lol:

[quote name='tylerh1701']The first 32 cubes are kind of like main game, and the second 32 cubes are more like the challenge mode. I think the game is made or broke in the 2nd half of the game, and for me the whole 2nd half fell flat .[/QUOTE]

Couldn't the same be said about any game involving collecting stuff? Maybe its just me but I pretty much think any game where you must collect stuff to complete it gets bland and you either use a guide, take a long break or never beat it.

I almost wish I would have waited on Deadlight....got to a part that made me want to break my controller in half....guess I won't go back to it for a good while.

Been waiting for Dust and Deadlight since this sale started, but after all the negative comments on Deadlight I will probably wait to see if it drops more.

Still can't believe the Tony Hawk game was the only thing on sale yesterday, it makes no sense. Why give one of the lower ranking Summer games its own day? Its like some random person just walked into the convo about the Christmas deals "let's make a day named on a guy, what about Mario? no we don't own the rights to that, let's go with Tony" This gives no hope for the next ??? day being anything but counter strike :cry:

[quote name='The 7th Number']DOH! Here i am thinking the game Dust: an elysian tail, was From Dust. Two different games. I wanted to get from dust. Oh well.

Since borderlands GoD is 19.99 do you think it will be on sale for 10 bucks?[/QUOTE]
Possibly ... though according to "xbldb", it's only gone down as low as 1040 MSP ($13) before. I'm sure the DLC will be cheap, though if someone's seriously looking at the core game, you might consider the GOTY edition, which can probably be had for $20 used, and includes the 4 DLC on a DRM-less 2nd disc.

BTW, I've now added a plethora of Metacritic & XBLDB links to the OP for the remaining days, especially ensuring that the "big games" (Trials, Walking Dead, Borderlands, Skyrim) have links so people can make pricing decisions based upon prior sales.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Nice to see Hybrid at 400, but I still can't justify buying it since it doesn't offer any single player content. MP just isn't my thing.[/QUOTE]

It's 400 for a reason. MP community is pretty much dead at this point. Hell, at times i even had trouble to get enough people 20 days after release of the game.

btw Dust is well worth 600msp - good 15+hrs game with excellent art style. You guys can't go wrong with that. ;)

[quote name='sicsonic']Just want to say Dust: An Elysian Tale is AMAZING. Definitely worth it and a must-play in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

I'd thought I start it up and play for about 10 mins, but then 5 hours passed and I'm hungry now.

Game truly is fantastic. My save file has me at 50% complete, so probably around 10 hours to do/get everything.

Everybody buy it.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']After collecting 24 cubes in Fez, I'm already kind of bored with it. I heard it get's interesting after 32 cubes, but I don't know if I'll have the patience to track down the others. The map is a mess and not particularly useful, which doesn't make things easier. The game really doesn't offer you much help or hints at where to go next at all. Some people might like this fact, as it seems more "retro" that way, but I'd prefer a more guided approach. It starts to feel more like "work" at a certain point. Anyway, glad I waited for a pricedrop on that one... just wanted to add my 2 cents.

As for the rest of the sale, I'll probably end up buying Bully along with perhaps the Walking Dead if the price is right. Already picked up Mark of the Ninja and Dust.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you fully especially on the work part. What really makes it work is that every time you go up a level, or enter a room, you godda flip flip flip, ah nothing there, rinse repeat. At first there was a wow factor, but as the game chugs along it starts to get monotonous. And your 100% correct, the map is garbage, bout the only thing it's good for is letting you know you missed something. Feels like he just made a bunch of levels and then said "let's put a warp through this door for no reason." I do like the concept of it though it's a slight rip off of the psp game crush or echochrome. Anyway like you I am glad it only cost 400 ots.

Deadlight is a really good, short game. It starts off amazingly, kind of drags down in the middle, and finishes pretty well. For 400 points it's worth it.

Picked up Dust. It'll probably be my last XBLA download for the year unless they offer some amazing Borderlands deals.

I have to admit I was disappointed in the sales of XBLA games this year but these final year end sales completely redeemed the marketplace for me.

[quote name='Chemosh013']Deadlight is a really good, short game. It starts off amazingly, kind of drags down in the middle, and finishes pretty well. For 400 points it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

If it was 400 I'd pick it up but its 600. :p. I'm picking up Dust instead for 600, wish it was 400 but reviews say theres lots to do. More than Deadlight.

I see that the reviews for the walking dead game is amazing. I love the t.v. series, but does the game really live up to it's expectations? Most likely, I'm going to download episode 1 for free and try it out. If I like it, I'll buy all the other episodes if it's a really good sale.

[quote name='TommyLove']I see that the reviews for the walking dead game is amazing. I love the t.v. series, but does the game really live up to it's expectations? Most likely, I'm going to download episode 1 for free and try it out. If I like it, I'll buy all the other episodes if it's a really good sale.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it really is as good as everyone says.

Was hopin' for Dust to be 400 MSP (mainly, since I've got 150 MSP & I would have preferred to not spend $10 when I'd only be 50 MSP short of 600 MSP if I bought 400 MSP), but oh well. Think I'll still get it, despite it possibly getting pushed into my backlog after Xmas.

So far I've gotten Zuma's Revenge, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Fez, Hell Yeah, Mark of the Ninja, Trine 2, Dust, Tony Hawk, and Deadlight. My backlog is now at 60 plus just on XBLA.

[quote name='sicsonic']Just want to say Dust: An Elysian Tale is AMAZING. Definitely worth it and a must-play in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

I got this game because Brad Shoemaker on Giantbomb's podcast said it was really good but most people won't play it because of the art. Damn impressive that one guy made the game IMO.

SHIT, I logged in every day to check the new games, and I even logged in on the 20th to check...
The first item was Fez and somehow Mark of the Ninja got stuck in the middle.
I missed it :( and it was on my radar as a must buy game :(
FOR GOD'S SAKE SORT THE LIST BY METASCORE! Best games on top...
At least the last couple days someone has been putting the Metascore in parenthesis.

Now I gotta wait probably 6 months for Mark of the Ninja to go on sale again, and hope I don't miss it.
I hope they do a new years sale, repeating the best sellers of this sale for all those that don't open their Xbox Live account until Dec 25th...

Don't bother telling me it's worth 1200 points, I'm sure it is, but I'm a CAG.

[quote name='TommyLove']I see that the reviews for the walking dead game is amazing. I love the t.v. series, but does the game really live up to it's expectations? Most likely, I'm going to download episode 1 for free and try it out. If I like it, I'll buy all the other episodes if it's a really good sale.[/QUOTE]

There was a small group of people who criticized the ending in a similar fashion to Mass Effect 3. That a game that made you feel you were making important choices in the end shoved the same result at you no matter what. But since it's such a narrative game in the first place you kind of have to excuse it I think.

For me though, once I heard the ending it's the exact sort of ending I despise in games so I'm not bothering. For most people though, it sounds like something to at least try out.

[quote name='raiser']FOR GOD'S SAKE SORT THE LIST BY METASCORE! Best games on top...
At least the last couple days someone has been putting the Metascore in parenthesis.[/QUOTE]

Try to remember that not everyone places an emphasis on Metacritic scores. Perhaps there's someone who would like the list to be sorted by the largest discount. Or rather someone is waiting for a specific title to go on sale and therefore the fact that the list is sorted alphabetically will help them quickly find what they're looking for. Regardless of how it's sorted, it's not like it takes a long time to scan through the list, it's fairly short. And it is a wiki-post, you can edit it if it's that much of a concern.

[quote name='raiser']SHIT, I logged in every day to check the new games, and I even logged in on the 20th to check...
At least the last couple days someone has been putting the Metascore in parenthesis.

Now I gotta wait probably 6 months for Mark of the Ninja to go on sale again, and hope I don't miss it.
I hope they do a new years sale, repeating the best sellers of this sale for all those that don't open their Xbox Live account until Dec 25th...

Don't bother telling me it's worth 1200 points, I'm sure it is, but I'm a CAG.[/QUOTE]

What is this I don't even..

Its no ones fault but you're own for missing it. The information was there the entire time, before the countdown even started. Don't fault anyone or anything else for you overlooking a game you wanted.

Also, metascores are in no way the definitive reasoning for purchasing a game.

[quote name='raiser']SHIT, I logged in every day to check the new games, and I even logged in on the 20th to check...

Don't bother telling me it's worth 1200 points, I'm sure it is, but I'm a CAG.[/QUOTE]

To all the people who put so much time into the op. I DEMAND YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE IT!
Don't change a thing :lol:

I downloaded the demo to episode 1 of Walking Dead. All I knew was that it was a point and click adventure game, but I had no idea it was so interactive. Really awesome, and I'm pumped up for a free episode. Depending on the cost I might just get the entire series. How long does each episode take to finish?

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back