XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I downloaded the demo to episode 1 of Walking Dead. All I knew was that it was a point and click adventure game, but I had no idea it was so interactive. Really awesome, and I'm pumped up for a free episode. Depending on the cost I might just get the entire series. How long does each episode take to finish?[/QUOTE]

They are very interactive and it is a great game, but you need to be prepared for the slow pace. This is a story driven game and those who don't like it are usually simply expecting something different. Each episode takes roughly an hour and a half to two hours if you are not using guides.

You do know it is VGA Game of the Year, right? As far as I know it's story is better than the TV series.

[quote name='TommyLove']I see that the reviews for the walking dead game is amazing. I love the t.v. series, but does the game really live up to it's expectations? Most likely, I'm going to download episode 1 for free and try it out. If I like it, I'll buy all the other episodes if it's a really good sale.[/QUOTE]

You got yourself to blame, period.

[quote name='raiser']SHIT, I logged in every day to check the new games, and I even logged in on the 20th to check...
The first item was Fez and somehow Mark of the Ninja got stuck in the middle.
I missed it :( and it was on my radar as a must buy game :(
FOR GOD'S SAKE SORT THE LIST BY METASCORE! Best games on top...
At least the last couple days someone has been putting the Metascore in parenthesis.

Now I gotta wait probably 6 months for Mark of the Ninja to go on sale again, and hope I don't miss it.
I hope they do a new years sale, repeating the best sellers of this sale for all those that don't open their Xbox Live account until Dec 25th...

Don't bother telling me it's worth 1200 points, I'm sure it is, but I'm a CAG.[/QUOTE]

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm offering a suggestion for making the list BETTER...
I missed a deal, so what...
But when a page lists hundreds of deals, most with very short expirations...
Why not point out the ones Cheap Ass Gamers should take notice of?

No one cares if a 50 rated game is 25% off, but most people here will care if an 80+ rated game is 50% off.
Especially if it is something that flew under the radar like Dust or Mark of the Ninja...

Thanks for the list... It's obviously useful.

[quote name='raiser']I'm not blaming anyone, I'm offering a suggestion for making the list BETTER...
I missed a deal, so what...
But when a page lists hundreds of deals, most with very short expirations...
Why not point out the ones Cheap Ass Gamers should take notice of?

No one cares if a 50 rated game is 25% off, but most people here will care if an 80+ rated game is 50% off.
Especially if it is something that flew under the radar like Dust or Mark of the Ninja...

Thanks for the list... It's obviously useful.[/QUOTE]
lol none of those games flew under the radar. there were pages upon pages upon pages of discussion during the day of the sale. Nearly every post mentioned mark of the ninja. No one was talking about "a 50 rated game that is 25% off".

Jeez what a brat, you spelled it out in the first paragraph, you missed reading about it so you missed the sale, no one should change anything but you.

Op is great dont listen to the haters

Last edited by a moderator:
The list is very clear, you can know which games are discounted each day, so there's no way you can miss a game you really want.

[quote name='raiser']I almost forgot why one should never comment in forums.
Thank you all for shining your enlightenment.
Merry Christmas.[/QUOTE]

and don't edit the wiki to file your grievances in it. The wiki is for the deals, not your opinions or suggestions.

[quote name='raiser']I'm not blaming anyone, I'm offering a suggestion for making the list BETTER...[/QUOTE]
Starting off a sentence with "FOR GOD'S SAKE..." makes it read more like a demand than a suggestion. And it only makes the list better for those that are purely focused on Metacritic scores, otherwise it makes the list more difficult to navigate for others.

[quote name='raiser']But when a page lists hundreds of deals, most with very short expirations...
Why not point out the ones Cheap Ass Gamers should take notice of?[/QUOTE]All the esential information is placed on the first page. You can also get just the sale info over here. The list of the titles that were going to be on sale leaked days before the sale went live. Several days before Dust went on sale there were numerous "I can't wait for Dust to go on sale" posts. CAGs did take notice.

The "crap" MotN got shoved between was Rayman Origins and Fez, two very well received games. Not that it matters, this is a deals sight, and if deals start getting bumped about based on subjective concerns it could get out of hand quickly.

Merry Christmas.[/QUOTE]
you came in here complaining about how the OP is set up because you missed a deal, even though you clearly said you didn't pay close enough attention to what games were on sale, with Fez being 1st and "mark of the ninja getting stuck in the middle" whatever the hell that means. I guess everything rated 80 and above on metacritic should be in bold letters and caps?

Merry Christmas.[/QUOTE]

No, it's just rude to complain about the work of others when the person who posts these deals doesn't have to and doesn't owe you anything. The blame lies with you for not bothering to read; don't force it on others.

And don't worry, this thread seems to attract ungrateful people. But Cornelius and the other maintainers look past it and continue their work despite being called names. They're good people, and they should know that everyone else appreciates what they do for the community.

[quote name='Thrinn']Starting off a sentence with "FOR GOD'S SAKE..." makes it read more like a demand than a suggestion. And it only makes the list better for those that are purely focused on Metacritic scores, otherwise it makes the list more difficult to navigate for others.[/QUOTE]

Not really. I don't find the list any more difficult to navigate now than before and someone's been adding metascores to the list. It's just more convenient to have the score listed in the OP.

You don't have to be "purely focused" on metacritic scores to appreciate their addition to the OP. There are hundreds of xbla games, and a high metacritic score helps to bring attention to a game some might otherwise overlook.

Not sure how he missed MOTN, though. There were 2 threads on this sale, Both OP's were easy to read, The sales were split up by day. Everybody was talking about MOTN in both threads. He obviously wasn't paying much attention.

I suggest we add to the OP small pics or gif of the sale-off games for the missing one who could not read the entire OP between the lines . For god sake! haha

jk:bouncy:

What about all the people who don't give a damn about questionable metascores and try the games for ourselves to find out what we like? The OP works just fine for us.

[quote name='biledriver']There was a small group of people who criticized the ending in a similar fashion to Mass Effect 3. That a game that made you feel you were making important choices in the end shoved the same result at you no matter what. But since it's such a narrative game in the first place you kind of have to excuse it I think.

For me though, once I heard the ending it's the exact sort of ending I despise in games so I'm not bothering. For most people though, it sounds like something to at least try out.[/QUOTE]

the ending is not the same for everybody regarding the outcome for the main character, i can't go into details without spoiling

most games have the exact same ending so passing on a game based on that is silly

[quote name='Barry Burton']the ending is not the same for everybody regarding the outcome for the main character, i can't go into details without spoiling

most games have the exact same ending so passing on a game based on that is silly[/QUOTE]

If you finished it then you know how it ends for the main character. I don't enjoy playing games that end that way. It's not silly if it's my opinion. I didn't say it was bad, just not for me.

[quote name='doodofdoods']You don't have to be "purely focused" on metacritic scores to appreciate their addition to the OP. There are hundreds of xbla games, and a high metacritic score helps to bring attention to a game some might otherwise overlook.[/QUOTE]Definitely. When reddjoey asked for suggestions on how to handle the list a year or two ago a few people, including myself, had suggested the inclusion of Metacritic scores being listed next to the game's title. "Some of my best games have high Metacritic scores," etc., etc.. ;)

What I took issue with is that sorting the games based on their Metacritic score is not a clear-cut case of making the list "better."

I feel the OP is fine and I really like the way it is setup. Everything is clear and easy to understand. I wish the PSN thread would take a few notes from this one.

I also disagree with sorting by Metacritic score. Jurassic the Hunted was one of my underrated games this gen and it has a meta score of 60.

[quote name='Thrinn']
What I took issue with is that sorting the games based on their Metacritic score is not a clear-cut case of making the list "better."[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. I'll agree with that.

[quote name='icp_00_111']People arguing over petty things, now it feels like Christmas. lol Just kidding guys happy holidays for everybody on CAG.[/QUOTE]
Happy holidays dude. Merry Christmas to all CAG's. As a present we'll get TWD's first episode for free :lol:

Deadlight - 1/3 of that game is worth playing, so wait till it's 66% off and even then it's best at the beginning so yeah.....long road ahead.

Dust - Talked up way past it's worth, I still have my review up in sig. At half it's not bad if you want something to spend some time on.

How much is the Borderlands 2 likely to be discounted? I'm hoping it is 50%. If you buy that are all the 4 DLC packs are free?

[quote name='gutter2d']How much is the Borderlands 2 likely to be discounted? I'm hoping it is 50%. If you buy that are all the 4 DLC packs are free?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hope for more than 33% on the GonD, and the Season Pass/DLCs are a separate purchase. Those may be 33ish for the pass and 50ish for the individuals. What I'm more curious about is if the non-pass DLC will go on sale.

[quote name='the Gooseler']Still can't believe the Tony Hawk game was the only thing on sale yesterday, it makes no sense. Why give one of the lower ranking Summer games its own day? Its like some random person just walked into the convo about the Christmas deals "let's make a day named on a guy, what about Mario? no we don't own the rights to that, let's go with Tony" This gives no hope for the next ??? day being anything but counter strike :cry:[/QUOTE]

Makes sense to me, Tony Hawk sold very well, by far the best of the SoA games.

Also, I'm surprised how quickly people are acting spoiled by these deals. The last couple years, we mostly just got 1 game per day or 1 piece of DLC on sale for the Holiday sales. I remember 2 years ago, we basically got one SoA game per day and then a few other games, and that was it. This holiday sale is blowing every previous holiday sale out of the water.

[quote name='LordVila']I feel the OP is fine and I really like the way it is setup. Everything is clear and easy to understand. I wish the PSN thread would take a few notes from this one.

I also disagree with sorting by Metacritic score. Jurassic the Hunted was one of my underrated games this gen and it has a meta score of 60.[/QUOTE]

In defense of the PSN OP, Frisky basically has to list every sale twice (1 for PS+ price, one for regular price). Then there is further sorting between PS3/PSP/PS Vita, whereas everything in this OP is for the Xbox 360.

[quote name='tylerh1701']In defense of the PSN OP, Frisky basically has to list every sale twice (1 for PS+ price, one for regular price). Then there is further sorting between PS3/PSP/PS Vita, whereas everything in this OP is for the Xbox 360.[/QUOTE]
I'm good with the PSN thread as well ... it's not like PSN has a web-based Marketplace that folks like "Spylon" can then make a kick-ass price scraper/DB. Any source of info beyond the Tuesday afternoon PSN Store's blog post is a blessing!

As for calling names ... I'm the greatest prospector in the Yukon Territory ... and me & Bumbles will rip your fucking teeth out if you mess with us!

yukon_cornelius_and_the_bumble_by_rhcomics-d35dmhc.jpg

(borrowed from http://rhcomics.deviantart.com/art/Yukon-Cornelius-and-The-Bumble-190432272)

Oh, BTW, I saw in addition to RB3 instruments on sale, Mad Catz also has the WWE All-Stars Brawl Stick on sale for $19.99, while Amazon has it for $29.99. For the naysayers out there, I'll just say the components are Hori (though lower-end), and sticks like this are great for arcade/Genesis ports. Plus the stick/buttons are easily swapped for Sanwa-brand, making it tournament-quality for less than $75 total.

Merry Christmas to all! :D

[quote name='RiPPn']I agree with you fully especially on the work part. What really makes it work is that every time you go up a level, or enter a room, you godda flip flip flip, ah nothing there, rinse repeat. At first there was a wow factor, but as the game chugs along it starts to get monotonous. And your 100% correct, the map is garbage, bout the only thing it's good for is letting you know you missed something. Feels like he just made a bunch of levels and then said "let's put a warp through this door for no reason." I do like the concept of it though it's a slight rip off of the psp game crush or echochrome. Anyway like you I am glad it only cost 400 ots.[/QUOTE]

Glad to know I'm not alone. Yep, that pretty much sums up my experience with Fez.

Also, I have a pre-emptive question about tomorrow's sales. I've seen this question asked before but never seen an answer: Will DLC for Trials HD work for the the disc-based game (the Triple Pack, specifically)? Is any of it worth it? (I'm not interested in more Extreme tracks that take hundred of tries to complete, for example.)

[quote name='kidrocklive']yeah I bought it thinking there was no pc release then I saw afterwards there was a pc teaser, oh well I guess.[/QUOTE]

Dust might be released via the Windows Store... :razz:

Well, those last few pages were definitely worth reading. I don't think even I have QQ'd so hard about missing a deal. Funny he'd delete his posts when they live on in the form of quotes...

Might cave on Deadlight. I like the style of gameplay enough, but I can't fight the feeling it'll be on sale again within 3 months or so.

Regarding formatting for the OP, I think the separate demo links for the games is an interesting idea, but I prefer having the titles being links to the main game pages, which in turn link to the the demos. I can update the OP, but I don't want to mess with the hard work of the few who update it regularly.... I also like having the Metacritic scores listed directly in those links, as it's a nice quick reference.

I bought Dust: An Elysian Tale today, and I'll probably buy Deadlight before the day is over despite its less than stellar reviews. Seems I'm just a sucker for those kinds of games. I'd even buy War of the Worlds if it were on sale. B-)

[quote name='LordVila']I feel the OP is fine and I really like the way it is setup. Everything is clear and easy to understand. I wish the PSN thread would take a few notes from this one.

I also disagree with sorting by Metacritic score. Jurassic the Hunted was one of my underrated games this gen and it has a meta score of 60.[/QUOTE]
What's wrong with it?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What's wrong with it?[/QUOTE]

For starters I really appreciate the effort you put into that thread and I am a self confessed lurker in that thread. It just seems cluttered and at the same time doesn't have as much information contained in it as this thread does. With so many price drops it might be handy to highlight some of the "big deals" and also how much of a percent off the sale items are. I understand the percent off might be alot harder to do then the XBL thread because of the lack of a XBLDB type site or an online store. Plus it might be handy to have the normal sale price and then the PS+ sale price listed side by side. That would cut down on the amount of individual items in the thread. Even using some color coding might be nice. I don't mean any of this in a negative manner.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']
Also, I have a pre-emptive question about tomorrow's sales. I've seen this question asked before but never seen an answer: Will DLC for Trials HD work for the the disc-based game (the Triple Pack, specifically)? Is any of it worth it? (I'm not interested in more Extreme tracks that take hundred of tries to complete, for example.)[/QUOTE]

Yes it will work with the disc. And yes i think the DLC is pretty great. I really enjoyed the mini-game things quite a bit.

[quote name='LordVila']For starters I really appreciate the effort you put into that thread. It just seems cluttered and at the same time doesn't have as much information contained in it as this thread does. With so many price drops it might be handy to highlight some of the "big deals" and also how much of a percent off the sale items are. I understand the percent off might be alot harder to do then the XBL thread because of the lack of a XBLDB type site or an online store. Plus it might be handy to have the normal sale price and then the PS+ sale price listed side by side. That would cut down on the amount of individual items in the thread. Even using some color coding might be nice. I don't mean any of this in a negative manner.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure how one would go about highlighting deals in the OP without resorting to distracting font changes, though I'm not sure how the OP here is an example of that. There are just a number of sections that seem meaningless to me since I just prefer to see a pure list of the games on sale without the fluff of fancy sections with lengthy explanations. Just doing a quick word/character count, the XBL OP has over 50,000 characters in it and mine has about 12,000, which isn't a surprise by looking at them side-by-side. I think that's partially a result of the fact that the people here that keep it updated don't have more than one post to spread all of that information around, so that means they have to put it in the OP for it to exist at all. I'm not sure how my OP is cluttered, but the one here isn't.

I can do a percent off for them. It's just a matter of wanting to get them written down and posted in the OP quickly, so spending the extra time to see what the original prices were to figure out the percentage off isn't there at first.

If I'm doing a section for all PS+ content, I'd think it would be better to have all of the deals there and not elsewhere, right?

As I said early, I'm not a fan of distracting font changes, which extending to use various colors that I find distracting to see all over the place without any rhyme or reason.

It may just be that we'll have to agree to disagree about what makes a good OP if these are your issues. There's one I can definitely do, but the rest are just opinions that I don't really share for the style of OP that I do.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not sure how one would go about highlighting deals in the OP without resorting to distracting font changes, though I'm not sure how the OP here is an example of that. There are just a number of sections that seem meaningless to me since I just prefer to see a pure list of the games on sale without the fluff of fancy sections with lengthy explanations. Just doing a quick word/character count, the XBL OP has over 50,000 characters in it and mine has about 12,000, which isn't a surprise by looking at them side-by-side. I think that's partially a result of the fact that the people here that keep it updated don't have more than one post to spread all of that information around, so that means they have to put it in the OP for it to exist at all. I'm not sure how my OP is cluttered, but the one here isn't.

I can do a percent off for them. It's just a matter of wanting to get them written down and posted in the OP quickly, so spending the extra time to see what the original prices were to figure out the percentage off isn't there at first.

If I'm doing a section for all PS+ content, I'd think it would be better to have all of the deals there and not elsewhere, right?

As I said early, I'm not a fan of distracting font changes, which extending to use various colors that I find distracting to see all over the place without any rhyme or reason.

It may just be that we'll have to agree to disagree about what makes a good OP if these are your issues. There's one I can definitely do, but the rest are just opinions that I don't really share for the style of OP that I do.[/QUOTE]

How about you hide the PS+ stuff as spoilers to make it less stuff on the page? I bet 99.99% of people are not PS+ users.

[quote name='Blaster man']How about you hide the PS+ stuff as spoilers to make it less stuff on the page? I bet 99.99% of people are not PS+ users.[/QUOTE]
Really? The majority of the posters in the thread are PS+ members, so it's very relevant information.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Really? The majority of the posters in the thread are PS+ members, so it's very relevant information.[/QUOTE]

Where are your numbers? I personally do not have PSN+ even though I have a PS3.

As for you bashing the OP... At least this one points me to what I am looking for. It is organized in a way to make searching easier. Fun fact: this thread has way more activity than your PSN thread. If you don't have anything about XBLA to talk about please proceed out the thread.

So, to try to get back onto topic, did anybody that bought Deadlight regret it or are you enjoying? Heard it was short. Just looking for some opinions of cags.

[quote name='lordopus99']Where are your numbers? I personally do not have PSN+ even though I have a PS3.

As for you bashing the OP... At least this one points me to what I am looking for. It is organized in a way to make searching easier. Fun fact: this thread has way more activity than your PSN thread. If you don't have anything about XBLA to talk about please proceed out the thread.[/QUOTE]
My numbers? I read my own thread and see that most of the posts are talking about PS+ content. You've never posted there, so you obviously don't count in the impression that I've gotten from the posters there.

No, I'm not bashing the OP. I've always been open about giving feedback on what I think is the best way to handle the OP of this thread, which others have agreed with. I'm not starting shit here or anything like that. I saw somebody that had feedback to give about my thread, so I asked about it. I'm a frequent poster here, so I thought that would say enough about my intentions that I'm not trolling or anything like that.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So, to try to get back onto topic, did anybody that bought Deadlight regret it or are you enjoying? Heard it was short. Just looking for some opinions of cags.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get deadlight during this sale, but I enjoyed it in short burst of gaming, not in one sitting.

Feels like metroidvania with zombies in it, interesting story, and easy achievements.

Haha I totally forgot what thread I am in.

I definitely encourage anyone who has suggestions to improve the PSN to let Frisky know, he's pretty open to suggestions and has implemented a few user suggestions just recently. Probably would be better to take that discussion over to the PSN thread though.

FWIW, I think there is too much stuff in the XBL OP too. But I never use the OP because I'm here all of the time and follow the sales myself, as many others do as well.

Question about RAW: how many people can play it together at once? 3 or 4? Also, can multiple people be the same class? And does it support local coop? and for how many players? THis determines whether or not i buy it.

[quote name='MagmaOasis']Question about RAW: how many people can play it together at once? 3 or 4? Also, can multiple people be the same class? And does it support local coop? and for how many players? THis determines whether or not i buy it.[/QUOTE]

According to the product page on xbox.com it supports local co-op for two players. The page doesn't mention anything about the ability to play the co-op online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back