XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='dark_inchworm']Yeah, that makes sense. Totally. For sure. What a masterful way to kick a man while he's down - make nonsensical digs at his hopes and predictions for a discount on some damned video game downloadable content. For Pete's sake, at least try harder next time. Who the hell is Pete, anyway?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, even looking back to previous discounting trends, you only knew as much about what the discount would be as the rest of us - nothing.[/QUOTE]

I like to kick! Can I join in?

Pete is Saint Peter. If you're going to curse, at least know the origin of the phrase.

How's that? KICK!!!

[quote name='simmias']If you have a 4gb Slim the game is pretty much unplayable. You should be ok with any other kind of Xbox. Don't just use one slot to save, though.[/QUOTE]

That does not make any sense. The OS and the hardware specs (RAM, Video...etc) are pretty much identical. It should run the same on any machine. Not that I am doubting what you're saying. It's just plain weird.
Anyway, I have a fat Jasper console, but I'm still not going to take chance.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']I am really amused here by people who seem to be disappointed in the Borderlands 2 season pass sale and are now stating they will wait for the GOTY version. It's not like the GOTY version will be available any time soon. As anyone on this site should know, the older a game gets the cheaper it gets. This is a popular game that just recently came out and only half of the DLC has been released.

Saying you will wait 6 months for a cheaper price is like saying the sky is blue. That's the nature of video games. Once the newness has worn off, the price drops.

I don't fault anyone for waiting for a cheaper price, but I do find it funny when people have unrealistic expectations for something they want and then compare the reality to an assumed value that will supposedly be available 6 months from now.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was surprised BL2 was even on the sale. I just got a 360 and rebought the game to play with some friends and was thrilled that it went on sale. I admit, I was expecting 1600 points, but 1800 is still pretty good, especially when I got the points on sale. My only disappointment is that the Mechromancer did not go on sale. I got her for free on PS, but now I have to buy her on Xbox. Still well worth the money, I have played this game more than any other game in my life. Now I'm looking forward to the Skyrim content going onsale since I was not able to get it on PS.

Everyone just stop and realize it all comes down to how important the game is to YOU.

I'm in love with BL and its my favorite franchise this console gen. I dropped the full price for the season pass over a month ago and don't regret it. I was enamored with the original and has no qualms about supporting Gearbox any way I can. 1800 is a fantastic price point for the pass.

That being said, for something like Gears, Halo, or some Rockstar game I would not find the value worth it at all. And with little to no desire to play said games at the time of release, if at all, I can easily wait a few years for drops. There are people that feel the same way about my BL.

Everyone has different tastes that will determine what a particular game or content is worth to them, and how long t

[quote name='Daemonocracy']This is worth quoting and repeating because I am in the same boat. I would have preferred to have it on a physical disc as well since HDD space is more valuable than shelf space atm (and it can be resold), but there is a lot of grumbling over interface lag, frame rate stutters and game freezes with the retail copy. Telltale hasn't even addressed the issue.
[/QUOTE]

Digital version stutters like crazy as well. I'm with old model 360, but doesn't matter, since everyone gets these problems. ;)

[quote name='D0RC']Cloud is only for game saves or can you save full games there?[/QUOTE]

You're kidding in asking that, right?

[quote name='Sath666']Digital version stutters like crazy as well. I'm with old model 360, but don't matter, since everyone gets these problems. ;)[/QUOTE]

It does, but significantly less jarring than the retail version. Its far more prominent on disc.

I hope people don't mind a quick off-topic question, and I don't know a better thread to post as I figure a lot of Xbox 360 gamers look here. Basically, the MicrosoftStore.com recently messed up an order of mine and to make up for it they told tomorrow I could pick any 1 currently released Xbox 360 game on their web site (supposedly no price limit) for free.

So, can anyone make some suggestions what are the best/most valuable new games? It seems they only have 96 Xbox 360 titles right now, and things like Skyrim and Battlefield 3 that were available on BF aren't available any more. Perhaps COD Black Ops II or Resident Evil 6 would be a good choice? Thanks.

[quote name='Ubichu']I hope people don't mind a quick off-topic question, and I don't know a better thread to post as I figure a lot of Xbox 360 gamers look here. Basically, the MicrosoftStore.com recently messed up an order of mine and to make up for it they told tomorrow I could pick any 1 currently released Xbox 360 game on their web site (supposedly no price limit) for free.

So, can anyone make some suggestions what are the best/most valuable new games? It seems they only have 96 Xbox 360 titles right now, and things like Skyrim and Battlefield 3 that were available on BF aren't available any more. Perhaps COD Black Ops II or Resident Evil 6 would be a good choice? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
If you're going based on price not going down or really slowly going down then I'd say CoD: Black Ops II if that's what you're into. It took basically a year for CoD:MW3 to get marked down this year and even then the average price people had it marked down to was basically $20 before it went back up. Plus even if you don't like it, I believe the trade in value on it will be good for awhile, especially with Best Buy doing 100% trade in next week. I Hope that helps answer in someway.

[quote name='Ubichu']I hope people don't mind a quick off-topic question, and I don't know a better thread to post as I figure a lot of Xbox 360 gamers look here. Basically, the MicrosoftStore.com recently messed up an order of mine and to make up for it they told tomorrow I could pick any 1 currently released Xbox 360 game on their web site (supposedly no price limit) for free.

So, can anyone make some suggestions what are the best/most valuable new games? It seems they only have 96 Xbox 360 titles right now, and things like Skyrim and Battlefield 3 that were available on BF aren't available any more. Perhaps COD Black Ops II or Resident Evil 6 would be a good choice? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Black Ops 2 will probably hold its value the longest (although it is currently on sale at several places). COD titles are usually some of the slowest to drop. The first Black Ops is still going for $30 to $40 (new).

Also, Halo 4 will probably hold its value somewhat well. Basically anything with a popular multiplayer is going to stay higher.

[quote name='PenguinJim']Borderlands 2 isn't region-locked on 360, is it? The European version and US version weren't.

And has DLC on 360 ever been region-locked for anything? I know the occasional piece hasn't been available in regions, but not actually locked out..?[/QUOTE]
I thought the Game on Demand version must be region locked. I could be wrong though.

[quote name='Sath666']Digital version stutters like crazy as well. I'm with old model 360, but doesn't matter, since everyone gets these problems. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well that's a kick in the pants. I make it a point not to support buggy/broken products. If they intend to fix this issue you'd think they would've patched it by now. Maybe because of the MS $40K fee they're waiting to get a comprehensive list of bugs before they upload a new patch....one can hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope everyone that had a slight interest in Dust: An Elysian Tail picked it up when it was on sale. The game is damn good, and if you have an interest but missed the sale, I would still easily recommend it at full price. Well worth $15.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I hope everyone that had a slight interest in Dust: An Elysian Tail picked it up when it was on sale. The game is damn good, and if you have an interest but missed the sale, I would still easily recommend it at full price. Well worth $15.[/QUOTE]

I regret not buying Dust and Fez while on sale a few days ago. Not sure what I was thinking.

[quote name='ooga']Well that's a kick in the pants. I make it a point not to support buggy/broken products. If they intend to fix this issue you'd think they would've patched it by now. Maybe because of the MS $40K fee they're waiting to get a comprehensive list of bugs before they upload a new patch....one can hope.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I believe this is Telltale Games' first XBOX game, so I'm willing to give them a bit of leeway. It's not on the same level as the bugs in every yearly iteration of EA Sports games; they should definitely know better.

Maybe I'm masochistic but I'm considering Backbreaker: Vengeance at 600 points. I'm always up for some quick football if it isn't the same old Madden formula. The user reviews actually look pretty good and the achievements don't look bad. Can anyone vouch one way or another for it?

Also picked up Borderlands 2 Season Pass. I love the franchise but I have to admit I was ready for it to be over by the end of the story missions. I know I'll get a craving to come back to it at some point before the DLC hits another sale so it seems like a great deal to me.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']For what it's worth, I believe this is Telltale Games' first XBOX game, so I'm willing to give them a bit of leeway.[/QUOTE]

Nope. You forgot about the Sam & Max games and Wallace & Gromit. If you meant to say that this is their first XBLA game that doesn't have an "&" in the title then you'd b correct. :)

Edit: And there is also Jurassic Park btw.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Maybe I'm masochistic but I'm considering Backbreaker: Vengeance at 600 points. I'm always up for some quick football if it isn't the same old Madden formula. The user reviews actually look pretty good and the achievements don't look bad. Can anyone vouch one way or another for it?[/QUOTE]

Why not pick up NFL Blitz instead?

[quote name='ooga']Why not pick up NFL Blitz instead?[/QUOTE]

I already have it on PS3 from PS+ and Madden NFL Arcade on XBLA. I thought this looked a little bit different than those and might be something fresh.

[quote name='ooga']Nope. You forgot about the Sam & Max games and Wallace & Gromit. If you meant to say that this is their first XBLA game that doesn't have an "&" in the title then you'd b correct. :)

Edit: And there is also Jurassic Park btw.[/QUOTE]

HAH OK my bad, I must have barely forgotten those other 3 games they made.

Personally, I didn't have any issues during my episode 1 playthrough on my slim 360 (250gb), so I suppose you could always try the free episode and decide before noon on Saturday. Just definitely don't plan on buying the disc version.

[quote name='ooga']Well that's a kick in the pants. I make it a point not to support buggy/broken products. If they intend to fix this issue you'd think they would've patched it by now. Maybe because of the MS $40K fee they're waiting to get a comprehensive list of bugs before they upload a new patch....one can hope.[/QUOTE]
I think they've already patched it twice. They don't know why the 4gb model is having the crazy issues. There's tons of info about it on Telltale's Xbox support forum, along with a bunch of angry consumers.

Oh, and even if you buy the digital version, don't save in one slot :)

[quote name='simmias']I think they've already patched it twice. They don't know why the 4gb model is having the crazy issues. There's tons of info about it on Telltale's Xbox support forum, along with a bunch of angry consumers.

Oh, and even if you buy the digital version, don't save in one slot :)[/QUOTE]

It's not just the 4gb model. People with the 250GB have been reporting problems as well.

Simple searches for "limited" or "collector" found these worthy contenders:

en-US_Xbox360_Xbox360_Borderlands2_DlxVlt_Hntr_ColEd_FKF-00421.jpg

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-for-Xbox-360/productID.252093700/search.true

en-US_Xbox360_Street_Fighter_25th_Anni_Cltn_FKF-00449.jpg

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-for-Xbox-360/productID.253913500/search.true

en-US_Xbox360_Gears_of_War_3_Epic_Edtn_F9K-00001_RM4.jpg

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-for-Xbox-360/productID.228087500/search.true

Otherwise ask them if they can send you a 4000 Xbox point card, since that's an item that never depreciates. :D

[quote name='Gkage']Uh oh. Walking Dead has issues on 360. I was really going to get it too.
http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/27/3808790/the-walking-dead-disc-version-360-ps3-issues

Note: In the article, they say they've encountered the save problems on the XBLA version as well.[/QUOTE]

Considering I got Episode 1 for free and the rest will be discounted tomorrow, I'm still getting them regardless. If worse comes to worst, I can wait for the inevitable patch to be released.

[quote name='jetthead']If worse comes to worst, I can wait for the inevitable patch to be released.[/QUOTE]

I have to admire your optimism.

There are buggy games out there that never get patched btw (Fez for example). Hence my stance on buggy games. If they don't expect a decent return on investment when it's going to cost them $40K per patch, then they'll probably leave the game broken.

Glitchiest GotY since Fallout 3? I'll see for myself tonight I guess.

I Keep hearing the PS3 version of the disc game got it worse though, while the download version of it is better over the 360. Meanwhile 360 disc version has problems, but not as bad as PS3 disc and the downloaded version has some problems over the PS3. Eitherway it seems download is the way to go.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Maybe I'm masochistic but I'm considering Backbreaker: Vengeance at 600 points. I'm always up for some quick football if it isn't the same old Madden formula. The user reviews actually look pretty good and the achievements don't look bad. Can anyone vouch one way or another for it?[/QUOTE]
It's nothing like any other football game out there, even the original Backbreaker on Xbox 360. It's an XBLA version of the mobile games that are just a series of challenges based around the physics engine they've created.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's nothing like any other football game out there, even the original Backbreaker on Xbox 360. It's an XBLA version of the mobile games that are just a series of challenges based around the physics engine they've created.[/QUOTE]

My sons, ages 12 and 14, convinced me to get backbreaker vengeance a few months ago.. and we have had a blast with it. They still ask to play it regularly. Its alot of fun with splitscreen multiplayer

I'm definitely considering it as well. The reviews were OK, and almost all of them made a point to critique the price. Since it's now half price, I think that would bump up the overall score of the reviews a little bit. Still, it should have released at 800 and be 400 right now, but I'm not gonna squabble about 200 MSP when it comes to a game that hasn't been on sale in a year and a half since release. If I enjoy the demo as much as I did when it first released, I'll be picking it up.

[quote name='SlimJim0725']Quick question, does anyone know what time the deal today expires? Got a friend interested in getting it, but they will not be home until late.[/QUOTE]
Around the time the new deals appear is when they basically go down it seems. So basically like 4:30PM PST. So if they want Borderlands 2 season pass they got around 26 hours or so as of the time of me posting this before the deal is gone.

[quote name='bardockkun']Around the time the new deals appear is when they basically go down it seems. So basically like 4:30PM PST. So if they want Borderlands 2 season pass they got around 26 hours or so as of the time of me posting this before the deal is gone.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks a bunch! That is indeed what they were planning on grabbing.

I might as well mention, I did the math & if you download all 5 episodes of The Walking Dead, it'll take up 2,921.51MB, or 2.85GB of your HDD. I'm aware of the issues the disc version has, but I figure it's worth bringing up if you're short on space at the moment (especially with the sale tomorrow) &/or were thinking of getting the disc version.

For what it's worth the problems with the digital release of TWD are nowhere near as awful as the retail disk. The disk version is honestly abysmal.

[quote name='labrat34']My sons, ages 12 and 14, convinced me to get backbreaker vengeance a few months ago.. and we have had a blast with it. They still ask to play it regularly. Its alot of fun with splitscreen multiplayer[/QUOTE]
Not saying it's bad or anything, but it's not really what I'd recommend as an alternative to Madden since it's not a football game. It's fun for what it is though.

Bottomline: Does TWD's issues affect the enjoyment of the game? Will I shake my fist at the gaming gods while I miss shocking plot twists and turns?

I'm thinking no, but I am willing to spending my (practically free) MSP to find out.

2.9ish GB? That's really not that bad.

[quote name='hexa']For what it's worth the problems with the digital release of TWD are nowhere near as awful as the retail disk. The disk version is honestly abysmal.[/QUOTE]

stop scaring me! i will report any fuck ups as soon as i experience them, but it seems the best thing to do would be back up your save at the end of ep 1 to the cloud, and if shit hits the fan wait for a future patch.

[quote name='LordVila']This sale is quickly filling up my 250GB HD, anybody have any suggestions or experience on using a USB drive to store Xbox content?[/QUOTE]

Same boat here. I've had good luck with a Lexar Jumpdrive Firefly 16GB and a couple of PNY drives, but the 32GB Transcend I just got loses all data every time you reboot the console.

I'd love to know of a good 32GB stick; I'd buy two right away!

[quote name='ooga']I have to admire your optimism.

There are buggy games out there that never get patched btw (Fez for example). Hence my stance on buggy games. If they don't expect a decent return on investment when it's going to cost them $40K per patch, then they'll probably leave the game broken.
[/QUOTE]

Yea I think it's retarded it costs so much just to patch your own game. I think Nintendo's doing it right copying Steam's model so devs can update/patch quickly and for free.

I was going to get The Walking Dead on 360, but I think I'll get it on PS3 instead. Either they'll have it on sale as well next week, or it comes out on PS Plus. I'll live either way :)

[quote name='Shifty Effect']Bottomline: Does TWD's issues affect the enjoyment of the game? Will I shake my fist at the gaming gods while I miss shocking plot twists and turns?

I'm thinking no, but I am willing to spending my (practically free) MSP to find out.

2.9ish GB? That's really not that bad.[/QUOTE]

Your save can get overwritten if the game goes back to the first episode. The choppiness and other glitches can affect whether you have enough time(or any time at all) to pick what choice you want to make. So I'd say that affects the enjoyment a lot. Don't want to get to ep 3 or 4 then all of a sudden you have to start over because of a bug:cold:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/27/3808790/the-walking-dead-disc-version-360-ps3-issues

Couldn't you just copy the save to the cloud after you beat an episode? If it happens, then quit, copy the cloud save back over, and try again.

The digital episodes worked fine for me outside of some minor bugs that are mostly tied to scene transitions where it hitches so that the audio starts playing before the video starts. There's also a darkness issue that's caused by having your video settings (color range I believe) set to expanded that makes everything incredibly dark, which is the only game that I've seen have an issue with that setting. That hasn't been fixed as far as I've seen.

[quote name='Althax']To those on the fence about the season pass. All 4 dlc at 50% off will at least be 1600 points (assuming you didn't get that free one). So my reasoning was if the 200 point difference between 1600 on future sale prices and 1800 on the pass sale now, worth all the waiting time for individual dlc sales?

Totally worth it imho.[/QUOTE]

I went through the same thought process and decided to buy it now too. It'll give me extra incentive to go back to the game.

[quote name='Gkage']Yea I think it's retarded it costs so much just to patch your own game. I think Nintendo's doing it right copying Steam's model so devs can update/patch quickly and for free.[/QUOTE]
Telltale shipped a game it knew was broken - they had a patch waiting on release day to fix the "I can't advance past episode 1" bug. That was their free one. If they have to pay for the rest for trying to get Christmas sales while knowingly releasing a broken game, then it serves them right IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back