XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='simmias']This game will make you a worse poker player. I had really high hopes for it when it came out, too.[/QUOTE]

I challenge this. I bought FHP to learn how to play poker. When I started I had no idea how to play and now I'm an average player that understands the rules just fine. I'd still never play IRL because I can't keep a straight face when I'm buying beer and I just turned 29 last week...

As for your other gripes, they are legitimate complaints but I still enjoy the game. When I saw the seasonal achievements at launch I bought the game immediately because I assumed by the time the first sale would roll around those would be unobtainable and I really wanted to play it. So glad I did. I'm just down to the new set of grindy achievements that I can complete at my leisure.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I challenge this. I bought FHP to learn how to play poker. When I started I had no idea how to play and now I'm an average player that understands the rules just fine. I'd still never play IRL because I can't keep a straight face when I'm buying beer and I just turned 29 last week...

As for your other gripes, they are legitimate complaints but I still enjoy the game. When I saw the seasonal achievements at launch I bought the game immediately because I assumed by the time the first sale would roll around those would be unobtainable and I really wanted to play it. So glad I did. I'm just down to the new set of grindy achievements that I can complete at my leisure.[/QUOTE]
I can see how it would be fun for someone who was new to poker. However, I want to make sure that poker players know what they're getting into.

[quote name='Sath666']http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/campaign/live10th/home

Wreckateer - FREE

Battlefield 1943 - 600msp (50% off)

Castle Crashers - 600msp (50% off)

Fruit Ninja Kinect - 400msp (50% off)

Geometry Wars Evolved - 200msp (50% off)

Bastion - 600msp (50% off)

Peggle - 400mp (50% off)

Full House Pocker - 400msp (50% off)[/QUOTE]

I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that Japan's the only region that gets Wreckateer for free -- I would suspect it's full price for everybody else.

All of these other games have been on sale many times so this is kind of disappointing for folks who were hoping to see something with newer games. Fez, I am looking at you.

[quote name='MastrMeatWad']Would have purchased I AM ALIVE if it was 50% off. I am cheap... ;)[/QUOTE]

Second this. 33% off just doesn't cut it for me either.

[quote name='chopper']I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that Japan's the only region that gets Wreckateer for free -- I would suspect it's full price for everybody else.[/QUOTE]

Disagree, I bought Wreckateer for 400 points a few weeks ago, so I guarantee everyone's getting it for free now :D

The DLC Price for Puzzle Quest 1 is bothering me too 700 MSP? Seriously? for 50 GS? and the main game is now even cheaper...come on MS!

I wish they would make some massive price cuts like the time where Lost Odyssee DLC got cut to 80 MSP (and Kameo and PGR 4 and some of the other titles...) man those were GREAT price cuts...

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I challenge this. I bought FHP to learn how to play poker. When I started I had no idea how to play and now I'm an average player that understands the rules just fine. I'd still never play IRL because I can't keep a straight face when I'm buying beer and I just turned 29 last week...[/QUOTE]

I challenge your challenge with my own anecdote. I used to watch WSOP with my grandfather when he was still alive, and I had a great understanding of the game. It's all psychological, with bluffs and tells and faking tells to coerce your opponent into losing more. One of the developers gave me the game for free on Twitter last year, but when I started playing I realized this is nothing like the real thing. There are no tells or bluffs or things that make Texas Hold'em what it is, and there is no commitment or sense of meaning to anything you're doing, especially when playing against other people. The real game is about the people you're playing against, not the cards; this game lets you play hyper-aggressively all the time without knowing anything about your opponents. The developers did a decent job with what they could, but they didn't come anywhere near capturing the concept.

For all that it has, the game is very shallow. Aside from hand values, which you could've looked up online by the way, the game teaches you nothing about how to actually play poker. If you played it to learn poker, then you've learned wrong.

I went to the Guardian Heroes page to make a last-minute purchase at the 400 MSP price and then realized I needed to redeem my 1600 MSP card to make the purchase. In the entire ~30 seconds it took to do that, the price went back up.

My unbridled rage may have startled the neighbors, but the game will almost definitely be on sale again, so it's gonna be OK...

Can't count on noon on the dot anymore...

It's gonna be OK...

Bought some damned GH songs to soothe the beast.

[quote name='benjamouth']Disagree, I bought Wreckateer for 400 points a few weeks ago, so I guarantee everyone's getting it for free now :D[/QUOTE]

And, it is what they did with Haunt a few months back.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I went to the Guardian Heroes page to make a last-minute purchase at the 400 MSP price and then realized I needed to redeem my 1600 MSP card to make the purchase. In the entire ~30 seconds it took to do that, the price went back up.

My unbridled rage may have startled the neighbors, but the game will almost definitely be on sale again, so it's gonna be OK...
[/QUOTE]

I could be confusing you with someone else, but you seem to miss at least one deal you want weekly.

In regards to the puzzle rpg hybrids, I've played Puzzle Quest one and enjoyed it, and I believe I'll get enough enjoyment from the second to warrant biting on it. What I am wondering is how do games such as Galactrix, Gyromancer, and Puzzle Chronicles stack up in comparison?

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']

In regards to the puzzle rpg hybrids, I've played Puzzle Quest one and enjoyed it, and I believe I'll get enough enjoyment from the second to warrant biting on it. What I am wondering is how do games such as Galactrix, Gyromancer, and Puzzle Chronicles stack up in comparison?[/QUOTE]

PQ 1 & 2 are really great, I've played them both multiple times. I broke down and paid full price for the Plague Lords DLC when they had a spent so many points, get some back promo. That justified it to me since it's NEVER gone on sale. Worthy DLC too even at full price. :applause:

I also like Puzzle Kingdoms too, very fun & similar to PQ. Available on your DS or Wii.

If you missed out on Might & Magic Clash of Heroes game, wait for that one to go on sale again as it's a blast.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it kinda makes sense that Wreckateer is going to be free next week because there is no Kinect Central deal on the week of the 20th. That and I bought it too.

So far, unless the next Scratch and Win game next week has something awesome it looks like I'll be saving up points for once.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']I could be confusing you with someone else, but you seem to miss at least one deal you want weekly.[/QUOTE]

No... you're right. :)

Luckily my work situation is straightening out and I should be fully capable of returning to my wasteful ways soon. On the other hand, having to pass up so much these last few months has opened my eyes to the virtues of patience and sometimes saying, "hell no I don't want this"

Also, sorry for caps lock but COULD SOMEONE PLEASE PUT FEZ ON SALE ALREADY?

[quote name='bardockkun']You know, it kinda makes sense that Wreckateer is going to be free next week because there is no Kinect Central deal on the week of the 20th. That and I bought it too.

So far, unless the next Scratch and Win game next week has something awesome it looks like I'll be saving up points for once.[/QUOTE]

you and me both!

I think i may bite on Battlefield, im gonna look for a demo and at a couple message boards for it first.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']No... you're right. :)[/QUOTE]

Thought so, lol.

[quote name='destro4eva']PQ 1 & 2 are really great, I've played them both multiple times. I broke down and paid full price for the Plague Lords DLC when they had a spent so many points, get some back promo. That justified it to me since it's NEVER gone on sale. Worthy DLC too even at full price. :applause:

I also like Puzzle Kingdoms too, very fun & similar to PQ. Available on your DS or Wii.

If you missed out on Might & Magic Clash of Heroes game, wait for that one to go on sale again as it's a blast.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been waiting on Clash of Heroes ever since I passed last time, I didn't research it enough and though it appeared mediocre. Regretting it.

I'm pretty sure Puzzle Chronicles is pretty meh, I remember having a code for it ages ago that I traded being not interested. I've heard negative things about Galactrix but still.. curious seeing as how its from Puzzle Quest. Gyromancer however I find myself really interested in picking up, though I didn't give it a second glance the last few times its been on sale.

I may be picking up a Wii in the relative future so perhaps I'll check Kindgoms out then but as far as my DS goes, I've only touched it for like a month after getting it. I don't know what it is but handhelds don't satisfy me the way they used to.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Thought so, lol.

Yeah, I've been waiting on Clash of Heroes ever since I passed last time, I didn't research it enough and though it appeared mediocre. Regretting it.

I'm pretty sure Puzzle Chronicles is pretty meh, I remember having a code for it ages ago that I traded being not interested. I've heard negative things about Galactrix but still.. curious seeing as how its from Puzzle Quest. Gyromancer however I find myself really interested in picking up, though I didn't give it a second glance the last few times its been on sale.

I may be picking up a Wii in the relative future so perhaps I'll check Kindgoms out then but as far as my DS goes, I've only touched it for like a month after getting it. I don't know what it is but handhelds don't satisfy me the way they used to.[/QUOTE]

Just some words on Gyromancer...it's the lesser fun, poor quality copy of Puzzle Quest, I could never bring myself to buy the full game (I tried the demo several times) knowing Puzzle Quest is so much better...

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']I could be confusing you with someone else, but you seem to miss at least one deal you want weekly.

In regards to the puzzle rpg hybrids, I've played Puzzle Quest one and enjoyed it, and I believe I'll get enough enjoyment from the second to warrant biting on it. What I am wondering is how do games such as Galactrix, Gyromancer, and Puzzle Chronicles stack up in comparison?[/QUOTE]

Gyromancer is very similar, but I didn't have quite as much fun with it. You also have to rotate the gems in that one (either clockwise or counterclockwise I believe) which I don't find nearly as fun as the regular Bejeweld/PQ gameplay.

Isn't Puzzle Chronicles the game where you put together jigsaw puzzles?

[quote name='Narsis84']And, it is what they did with Haunt a few months back.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and I'd bought that a couple of weeks before it was free as well.

I'm starting to learn with these Kinect games. :roll:

The Scratch & Match "Loser" deals are as follows:

Section 8 Preduice for 600MSP
Section 8 Preduice Frontier Colonies Map Pack for 160MSP
Section 8 Preduice Overdrive Map Pack for 160MSP

The scratch and match used to be awesome and now they're pulling this "One game's DLC" crap that pulled for awhile with the DOTW. Damn microsoft.

[quote name='benjamouth']Yep, and I'd bought that a couple of weeks before it was free as well.

I'm starting to learn with these Kinect games. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Join the club. EVERY single Kinect game that i've bought full price, or on sale...has eventually gone free at some point. Including all the Kinect Fun Labs Apps. Frustration has no bounds... well played Microsoft. :applause:

Already own all the puzzle games I'm interested in this week and have no interest in I Am Alive next week. Here's hoping for some good anniversary / black friday sales. If that japanese listing is correct, I'd take Wreckateer for free and would probably bite on geometry wars for 200 MSP. Don't have the compilation disc it came on and managed to miss it if its ever been on sale before. Guess we'll see.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Gyromancer is very similar, but I didn't have quite as much fun with it. You also have to rotate the gems in that one (either clockwise or counterclockwise I believe) which I don't find nearly as fun as the regular Bejeweld/PQ gameplay.

Isn't Puzzle Chronicles the game where you put together jigsaw puzzles?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I knew about the rotation thing, apparently its only clockwise unless you have an item that grants you the ability to spin counter. I was kind of interested in the fact that you don't take turns as you do in the Puzzle Quest series, its just you either doing well or poorly. The enemies attacks come from you using the rotation too often without a match and some other factors which drops a countdown piece into place. You need to pop the piece before the timer expires to avoid its wrath.

Puzzle Chronicles has the appearance of a shoddy Puzzle Quest, but I haven't tried the demo so I can't say for certain. Not a jigsaw compilation though.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Puzzle-Chronicles/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410952

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']Yeah I knew about the rotation thing, apparently its only clockwise unless you have an item that grants you the ability to spin counter. I was kind of interested in the fact that you don't take turns as you do in the Puzzle Quest series, its just you either doing well or poorly. The enemies attacks come from you using the rotation too often without a match and some other factors which drops a countdown piece into place. You need to pop the piece before the timer expires to avoid its wrath.

Puzzle Chronicles has the appearance of a shoddy Puzzle Quest, but I haven't tried the demo so I can't say for certain. Not a jigsaw compilation though.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Puzzle-Chronicles/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410952[/QUOTE]

What you said about Gyromancer is all correct, it's coming back to me now. It is a little bit different in that the enemies attack you in a different way. I started getting stuck about half way through the game because I wasn't all that great at the clockwise rotation. It's also extremely long, like PQ1 and 2. It definitely got grindy and boring to me as well, the difficulty wasn't the only thing that turned me off.

And you're right, I confused Puzzle Chronicles with Puzzle Arcade, which is the jigsaw puzzle game.

As someone who bought I Am Alive at full price when it launched, I can't recommend it at 800 because that's what it should have launched at. It has a lot of great ideas and alot of challenge but the controls are cumbersome and messy.

Debating on if I'll get either of the Puzzle Quest games. If I have neither and am only looking to get one, which would be the better of the two to purchase?

[quote name='JStryke']Debating on if I'll get either of the Puzzle Quest games. If I have neither and am only looking to get one, which would be the better of the two to purchase?[/QUOTE]

That's tough to say, I love them both to death, but probably start with the 1st one. If you've got a PS2/PSP/Wii etc, you can also get them pretty cheap on those consoles too.

:bouncy:Screw it, buy them both.

i bought puzzle fighter blind cos it looks good. it's kind of weird. honestly i just expected dr robotnik's mean bean machine. but this seems deeper i guess? the tuitorial is hinting at tricks i'm going to have to look up online? i figured this would be more pick up and play. i guess i'll get used to it but i feel like by the time i learn all the mechanics/tricks i'll be so good at it that playing local multi won't be fun lol and thats basically what i got it for. oh well it was only under four bucks after the msp discount.

I didn't do a major update but I did tweak the GH/DJ Hero sale info a bit for three reasons:

a) the Guitar Hero Facebook page finally verified how long the sale lasts (through 11/19)
b) a Lynyrd Skynyrd pack is on sale, which XBLDB totally missed
c) most importantly, the Jimi Hendrix track packs are ONLY compatible with Guitar Hero World Tour and are not forward-compatible with GH5 or Warriors of Rock. Thanks to intoxicated662 for motivating me to look into this.

I'm not keen on the formatting of the note I appended, but it'll do.

[quote name='angelfly']The wording suggest only a few are going to get their hands on one of those systems.[/QUOTE]
Very few were online in Nov. 2002, but that doesn't mean the program is of limited duration. My 10-year date will happen on Jan. 13th, 2013, and the amount I've paid more than makes up for the net-traffic & $99 cost to make an Xbox 360. Obviously I can't speak for others, but if I had 8+ years invested in XBL Gold subscriptions, the appeal of an extra 360 would keep me around 2 more years.

Think of this as the new phone you get every 2 years from your cellular provider. :lol:

[quote name='Cornelius']Very few were online in Nov. 2002, but that doesn't mean the program is of limited duration. My 10-year date will happen on Jan. 13th, 2013, and the amount I've paid more than makes up for the net-traffic & $99 cost to make an Xbox 360. Obviously I can't speak for others, but if I had 8+ years invested in XBL Gold subscriptions, the appeal of an extra 360 would keep me around 2 more years.

Think of this as the new phone you get every 2 years from your cellular provider. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You've got me beat. My 10 year is in March next year. I'm assuming I won't get a free 360 though. I could wax nostalgic all night about how fun it was in those early days. Remember when people hacked games and there was no policing? We didn't care because everyone was just having stupid fun. I miss those days. I rarely play multiplayer anymore since it's become so cut-throat and all about the winning.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']You've got me beat. My 10 year is in March next year. I'm assuming I won't get a free 360 though. I could wax nostalgic all night about how fun it was in those early days. Remember when people hacked games and there was no policing? We didn't care because everyone was just having stupid fun. I miss those days. I rarely play multiplayer anymore since it's become so cut-throat and all about the winning.[/QUOTE]

I've done almost nothing with my Gold subscription but use it for the deals and other minor perks - good thing I never paid anywhere near full price for a year's worth then... - but I've been having a blast with Halo 4. I'm pretty confident much of that has to do with playing with people I know and not a bunch of unknown assholes.

Microsoft, if you're listening, I'd love some perks for being a 5-year Live user ;)

[quote name='JStryke']Debating on if I'll get either of the Puzzle Quest games. If I have neither and am only looking to get one, which would be the better of the two to purchase?[/QUOTE]

As I said a page or two ago, Puzzle Quest 1 is a much better game than 2, so that's the one to get if you only buy one. Part 2 is wayyy too long thanks to tons of unnecessary padding, and the art style is much worse. Check out mah review for more details - I even interviewed one of the producers and artists to make sure I got all the details right.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I didn't do a major update but I did tweak the GH/DJ Hero sale info a bit for three reasons:

a) the Guitar Hero Facebook page finally verified how long the sale lasts (through 11/19)
b) a Lynyrd Skynyrd pack is on sale, which XBLDB totally missed
c) most importantly, the Jimi Hendrix track packs are ONLY compatible with Guitar Hero World Tour and are not forward-compatible with GH5 or Warriors of Rock. Thanks to intoxicated662 for motivating me to look into this.

I'm not keen on the formatting of the note I appended, but it'll do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, picking up the LS pack tonight. Am on the phone with Microsoft about the JH Track Pack issues. Hoping to get credited back the amount, if not then oh well lost out on 440 MSP. The GH store hasn't been working lately. Not from the 360 app nor within the game.

[quote name='arikmoon']Who controls the top post wiki? C'mon.[/QUOTE]

No one's paid to update that thing, so calm down buddy. Hell, if you can grasp the concepts of BBCode and have a little patience, you can fix it up yourself.

[quote name='hexa']As someone who bought I Am Alive at full price when it launched, I can't recommend it at 800 because that's what it should have launched at. It has a lot of great ideas and alot of challenge but the controls are cumbersome and messy.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, so 600 or heck, even 400 sounds like the sweet spot. Sounds like Hydrophobia, which I enjoyed, but it was clunky. Maybe next year...

[quote name='eastx']As I said a page or two ago, Puzzle Quest 1 is a much better game than 2, so that's the one to get if you only buy one. Part 2 is wayyy too long thanks to tons of unnecessary padding, and the art style is much worse. Check out mah review for more details - I even interviewed one of the producers and artists to make sure I got all the details right.[/QUOTE]

I have to stand against eastx here. I would say Puzzle Quest 2 is the better game and has more to offer. I mean, it's a puzzle rpg, why wouldn't I want it to be longer even if it's padded?

I even disagree that the art style is worse. To each his own though. But I think at the very least, eastx is overselling a drastic difference in the games. Neither is "much better" than the other in my opinion. They are really quite similar in what they offer. Galactrix was the only major departure for the series.

Secondly, would anyone recommend Catan or Carcassonne if I never play online with people? I don't know if playing against computer opponents would even be worth half price.

having played about an hour of it now, I personally think PQ1 is much better. there are stupid screens in PQ2 after every battle that show you what you "won" and how much xp you got, and what the quest you finished is called, and what your next quest is, last way too long and cant be quickened with a button, to where i just want to cut the crap and keep moving.

and the art style is kinda shit, i prefer the map travel style of #1, the new style seems unecessary, NPCs only serve a purpose when designated a quest, and you look like a damn chess piece moving around.

im 7 beers in, and this is my rant. if you must choose 1, chose puzzle quest 1!

[quote name='dark_inchworm']I've done almost nothing with my Gold subscription but use it for the deals and other minor perks - good thing I never paid anywhere near full price for a year's worth then... - but I've been having a blast with Halo 4. I'm pretty confident much of that has to do with playing with people I know and not a bunch of unknown assholes. Microsoft, if you're listening, I'd love some perks for being a 5-year Live user ;)[/QUOTE]
Ha, I'm right there with you! Check out my GS, and tell me if you think my Gold subscription is being used for anything but DOTW's! :lol:

Regarding my comment ... obviously we'll find out more info later on, but I'm still holding onto my theory this is a continuing program going forward, if only for the obvious reason that anyone using the "#XboxLIVEis10" hash-tag were all beta-testers, and it would be very dick'ish of MS to reward ONLY the beta testers for a system that MS never fully understood until the 360's required an overhaul of the service. If you've given MS something like $500 over 10 years, then the $99 COGS of a 4gb system is an easy write-off to push out 360's in the year before (and year after) the 720 releases @ Xmas 2013.

BTW, on another topic of "buying full-price games" ... if "Derrick the Deathfin" came to XBLA, I'd buy it for full-price in a heartbeat (and double-dip on PC @ sale-price) ... it's what I wanted from Sonic Episode 4 (but never got), and Gordon Midwood was idiotic to hope for PSN sales when Joe Danger didn't do well there either. This kind of game would've "killed" over Thanksgiving weekend (when the entire USA is focused upon "eating"), and simply mentioning the game is made from "paper-craft" would probably bring in the Minecraft fanatics as well. :D

And finally ... kudos to Griptonite/Atari for releasing Warlords this week ... it's only been 17 LONG MONTHS since the announcement trailer, and at least 1 year since the avatar clothing showed up. Congratulations!!! :beer:

[quote name='biledriver']Secondly, would anyone recommend Catan or Carcassonne if I never play online with people? I don't know if playing against computer opponents would even be worth half price.[/QUOTE]
I feel entirely stupid for never launching Carcassonne, even though I got it as part of the great XBL "we F'd up big-time!" apology. I'd have to think it plays OK as a solo game, since MS just released the WinPhone version.

I can easily say, however, that Catan is still very fun playing solo, since that's the only way I've played it. When presented with the actual board-game last summer, I didn't fare too badly at all against human opponents, so you'll definitely get your money's worth. By changing the difficulty or experimenting with the "win" conditions (such as reducing the required # victory points down to 6), it will also help you think more strategically when faced against aggressive or advantaged humans ... not to mention help you attain the "Longest Road" or "Largest Army" achievements. :D

You can skip the "Mayfair Skin Pack", though, since it makes the cards much harder to recognize. The "Generals Pack 1" DLC is very optional if you have points to blow, but there's only so many sliders they can change on the AI, so there's little to differentiate Joan of Arc from Cleopatra, except how stubborn or generous they can be in trades.

GameSpot's review is fairly accurate & complete, but like most of the Metacritic sources for its "81" rating, I would've bumped it up a few notches, since back in 2007, it was one of the first solid strategy games on XBLA: http://www.gamespot.com/catan/reviews/catan-review-6170049/

[quote name='bajingo']
im 7 beers in, and this is my rant. if you must choose 1, chose puzzle quest 1![/QUOTE]

Take that, Biledriver! ;) You know, art is in the eye of the beholder, but as someone with an Associates of Arts, PQ 1's art is much more technically solid, while part 2's is more generic. Some people may just not like the Japanese-inspired art style of part 1, but it comes from a much better artist than part 2 got. But it's good that you enjoyed 2, as I did - just less than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back