XBLA - After Burner Climax - 800 MS points

Rooster752

CAGiversary!
I'm kind of surprised nobody has posted about this yet since it's been out for a few days. This game always reminds me of T2 because no arcade around me had it and I remember seeing it in that movie and thinking it looked awesome.

So ABC is a super nice looking remake of the arcade classic, but they seem to have forgotten that they're making it for the console crowd! This game is hard! And what's with the credits and continues? Didn't I just pay 10 bucks? Why can't I just play it as much as I want?

full review
http://www.armlessoctopus.com/2010/04/26/xbla-review-after-burner-climax/

About the being hard, I didn't buy it but tried the demo. I thought maybe I just sucked and sucked bad. That's a bit relieving actually. :razz:

Well, to be fair you do unlock the ability to turn on more credits. I rather like it when a finite number of continues is forced on me. As tedious as it was, mastering and reaching the last course in Hang On (and beating Space Harrier) in Shenmue when you have the default amount of continues was thrilling.

It also seems suspiciously like you only played the game once and wrote the review. But I have no real proof of that.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
It also seems suspiciously like you only played the game once and wrote the review. But I have no real proof of that.[/QUOTE]

I actually only have played the demo so far, but the review was written by someone else who played it a bit more thoroughly. I'm intrigued because I have fond memories, but I'm not sure if I'm personally going to shell out $10 for the game with so many other arcade titles I'd probably prefer.

Did anyone actually buy this during the sale? I was strongly urged to do so by EastX, and this is the worst arcade game I have paid money for our of 30-plus titles. It's one of those too-tough arcade games that is meant to suck quarters away more than it is meant to entertain.

The graphics look good, but too often, it's impossible to tell where you're getting hit from. I like old school, "bullet hell" shooters, but this is too much, even with smoke trails turned off. And the game is hard. I beat it my second time through (on difficulty level 1) after unlocking 5 continues (default is 3) and auto-gun (your gun is useless, anyway) but the game still requires multiple playthroughs in order to unlock cheats that make the game fun. EastX claims this adds replay value; I claim it's poor game design. And the controls in general suck. Even on the lightest setting, you can barely move right or left without performing a disorienting roll.

I'm disappointed that I wasted my $5. I haven't beaten Mega Man 9 yet, but I feel Mega Man 10 would have been a better buy. After Burner Climax is terrible. At least the achievements are easy. That, and the graphics are all that appeal about this game.

I bought this game when it was on sale for $5 and I say it was well worth it. Beat it and got a few achievements and not much to complain about really. It's easily worth the $5 price tag compared to alot of other games and content on the marketplace.

[quote name='Matt Young']Did anyone actually buy this during the sale? I was strongly urged to do so by EastX, and this is the worst arcade game I have paid money for our of 30-plus titles. It's one of those too-tough arcade games that is meant to suck quarters away more than it is meant to entertain.

The graphics look good, but too often, it's impossible to tell where you're getting hit from. I like old school, "bullet hell" shooters, but this is too much, even with smoke trails turned off. And the game is hard. I beat it my second time through (on difficulty level 1) after unlocking 5 continues (default is 3) and auto-gun (your gun is useless, anyway) but the game still requires multiple playthroughs in order to unlock cheats that make the game fun. EastX claims this adds replay value; I claim it's poor game design. And the controls in general suck. Even on the lightest setting, you can barely move right or left without performing a disorienting roll.

I'm disappointed that I wasted my $5. I haven't beaten Mega Man 9 yet, but I feel Mega Man 10 would have been a better buy. After Burner Climax is terrible. At least the achievements are easy. That, and the graphics are all that appeal about this game.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I don't think the game is that hard at all. It's certainly not what you are making it out to be. As a matter of fact, I stoutly disagree with absolutely everything you said. Oh well. To each his own.

I also believe it's not as bad as you're making it. When I first played it, I thought it seemed hella hard. While I'm far from good, the game does get easier as you play more often and get used to the controls (and no, I'm not just talking about the EX options).

For $5, while I may not play it much, it is a fun game. Quite enjoyable in short bursts.

Also, to anybody who doesn't have the game, I figure I'll mention that the achievements are a fairly easy 200/200.

bread's done
Back