XBLA - Age Of Booty - 800pts

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

Fight for fortune and infamy in Age of Booty, Certain Affinity and Capcom's game of pirate strategy and cannon-blasting action that's fun for all ages. Sail the high seas alone or with friends as you build your pirate empire by plundering villages, sinking ships, and sending your enemies to the briny deep!

• Acclaimed developer: Age of Booty was developed in collaboration with Max Hoberman, designer of the multiplayer game for Halo 2 and Halo 3.
  • Deep strategy: With 25 multiplayer maps and a fully-featured map editor, Age of Booty features easy-to-play game mechanics with deep multiplayer strategy.
  • Multiplayer gameplay: Jump into pirate fun with up to four players on one console, and up to eight players over System Link or Xbox LIVE®. You can also play the free trial version online!

Achievements: (Coming Soon)

Capcom® Entertainment, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced Plunder™ for Xbox LIVE® Arcade, PLAYSTATION®Network and Windows PC. Developed by Certain Affinity™, known for their previous work on the Halo series, Plunder is a real-time multiplayer strategy game that puts players in command of a pirate ship with the goal of destroying your enemies and capturing towns for your pirate faction. Plunder is currently scheduled for release this summer.

“With Certain Affinity at the helm, Plunder has the makings to be an instant classic for the downloadable games market,” said Nique Fajors, Vice President of Marketing at Capcom Entertainment. “Plunder will engross players with its intuitive online multiplayer gameplay, captivating replayablity, and a planned price point that will be lower than most MMO’s monthly dues.”

“Plunder goes beyond the next generation, from 3D to 6D, with cutting-edge hex-based environments that make traditional 3D games weak,” said Max Hoberman, President of Certain Affinity and former Lead Multiplayer Designer for Halo 2 and Halo 3. “If you only get to try one downloadable pirate Action / RTS this summer, check out Plunder.”

Set in a swashbuckling pirate era, Plunder is a casual real-time strategy game that transports players to the turbulent seas of perilous pirates and booty. Players team up with other online players or AI-controlled pirate ships to raid villages, sink merchant ships, seize towns and steal gold, all for the goal of upgrading and customizing your pirate ship and sending your foes to the briny deep. Players will also be able to test their strategic skills against 25 unique challenges and seven of the most devious Pirate Alliances on the high seas. Plunder also enables up to four players to connect on a single console or up to eight players over LAN or internet to join in on the pillaging fun as you build your notoriety amongst the community and fight your way up the leader boards. Players can also master 25 multiplayer maps or create their own and share them with their friends.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15939/Capcom-Announces-Plunder-for-Xbox-Live-Arcade/

I have yet to play any of the board games on XBLA, but this one definitely sound interesting. Since C.A. worked on Halo, at least you know matchmaking will work!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tokitoki50']Seriously? Age Of Booty? That has to be the most sexually ambiguous video game name ever.

Plunder was a much better name.[/quote]
That's one of the main ways that Insomniac has influenced the industry. ;)

“Plunder goes beyond the next generation, from 3D to 6D, with cutting-edge hex-based environments that make traditional 3D games weak,” said Max Hoberman, President of Certain Affinity
You've got to be kidding me.

Ok, I remember hearing the 4th dimension is time, but what are the 5th & 6th?

I'm definitely going to have to check out the first game to not only surpass 3D, but incorporate 3 NEW dimensions never before done in anything (let alone a videogame).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The game got a new name at E3: Age of Booty. The guys from Capcom mentioned that it'll be the first XBLA game with Live multiplayer in the demo version. The PC version will have a beta next month and the PSN/XBLA versions will be out somewhere around September or October.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/0/6194795/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32008_live[/quote]

The female host in that video might just have some double dragons of her own.:drool:

Also, I'm not into these types of board games, but this one looks fun.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Seriously? Age Of Booty? That has to be the most sexually ambiguous video game name ever.

Plunder was a much better name.[/quote]

Would "Plunder the Booty" be a better name? :lol:

Don't get me wrong, the game looks cool, but I don't want my friends list to say I'm playing "Age Of Booty" Just sends out the wrong message.

And Plunder the Booty would be just about the best name ever.

They probably went with "Age of Booty" to make the name resemble the "Age of _" RTS games that Ensemble Studios makes. Silly name, but Plunder wasn't so hot either.

[quote name='Lokki']Would "Plunder the Booty" be a better name? :lol:[/quote]

It has my vote. :hot:

The game is interesting. Plus, it has pirates. I love pirates. :joystick:

Hope so, this looks promising and I'm glad they'll start previewing online modes in the trials. Doesn't make sense or fair for that matter to make someone buy the full game to see that the online wasn't what they wanted.

I've been looking for a game I can play (and feel I got a full experience) for 15-20 minute bursts (during the week, I just haven't had much time for gaming lately). Also been in the mood for a pirate game.

This will be something I look at tomorrow. Hope it's entertaining.

Anyone who bought the game give some sort of review (more than a sentence) on how the game plays, what you do?

Being at work, I can't look up many sites, and the ones that I can get to aren't offering much information (including the official site).

I quite liked the demo. Very simple and yet seems like there would be some depth later on in the game. I'll probably be getting this sometime this weekend

Swwweeet game, I grabbed it within a few minutes. Missions are fun but I'll try online tomorrow when more people might have grabbed the game. Yes I'll play ya online, minitchody, just added you.

I played the demo of this last night, and have to say that I liked it a lot. Multiplayer looks like fun as well. Although, I didn't get a chance to play a match before having to log off for the night. BTW - You get two free days of multiplayer in the demo version.

Multiplayer can be a blast. It feels much better being able to coordinate with a team. Things just flow much better.

My only gripe with the game is I would like to control my other ships in single player. There was one later mission where I had to just sit at one town guarding it while I waited/hoped for my AI partner to capture the other town.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Anyone who bought the game give some sort of review (more than a sentence) on how the game plays, what you do?

Being at work, I can't look up many sites, and the ones that I can get to aren't offering much information (including the official site).[/quote]

It's fairly simple, and falls into the category of games that have a few basic rules / moves, yet can get fairly complex very quickly.

You control a pirate ship, and have a pirate cove where you can upgrade your ship, as well as recharge your health (much more quickly than you can in a town). There are towns on the map that you bombard to take control of, and whoever takes over all of the towns wins. Some maps have a timer too, so whoever has the most towns when time runs out wins.

The board is laid out on hexagonal tiles, and gameplay occurs in realtime. You scroll around the screen with a cursor to indicate where you want your ship to move to. If it moves next to another ship, or town, it will automatically fire on the ship / town.

There are two other types of ships - the enemy pirate ships, who are playing the game the same as you (fighting for control of the most towns), and neutral ships. If you sink a neutral ship, you get a curse package. A curse can be played against your opponents, and include things like whirlpool teleporters, bombs, and plunder.

There are also neutral towns that give you resources when you bombard them. These are typically easier to destroy than full fledged towns, and the only reason to destroy them is for a resource. You need certain types of resources (wood, gold, or a third one which slips my mind right now) to upgrade your ship, or to upgrade a town you control.

There are also resource chests which spawn on the map. Collecting them gives you resources too. You also get resources from towns you control - those accure over time as long as you control the town.

That's about it as far as the basic gameplay goes - I found it took about 5 minutes to get used to the flow of the game, and then it was all out war against those scurvy pirates o the seas, ARRRRR!!!

(this game ROCKS!)

Thanks guyjr.

I went ahead and bought it after trying the demo. After playing a game or 2 online, I started getting the 'this is it?' feeling. But, I'm happy to hear you say that it gets more complicated, even with the simple rules, so I'll give it some more time tonight.

Teamwork is SO important in this game! Sharing resources, and the need to team up... coordinating curses to effectively trap the more attentive players... coordinating ways to trap enemies between towns and merchants... upgrading differently in order to take on different roles depending on the play styles of randoms who join... the hidden depth is fun, and approachable.

I'm probably not buying it until the trial runs out... since I have quite a bunch of other stuff to play, but this kinda casual-competitive game, with such well done balance, and nicely implemented upgrades, is really a nice change of pace. Simple and satisfying, with more game modes and maps to come through playlist and map creation... seems like it'll win these last points I have from the previous Target points sale...

[quote name='Immortal fWd']I bought it. I liked it because it's simple enough control wise to play with one hand while I'm holding or feeding my baby in the other.[/quote]
I bought it as well, we'll have to play sometime.

Anyone else, feel free to add me if you want to play.

I like it quite a bit, it is simplistic but does require quite a bit of teamwork. This game pretty much requires people using their microphones to be efficient.

Ultimate blast when playing online and yea teamwork and a mic is essential. I don't like team members who just stay back when it gets to the point of a ship upgrade, get out there and fight dammit. So I was wondering what is the best average upgrade to get first, speed? I used 1 armor and was a tank attacking a town thus with help from a teammate was able to withstand the defense. The first time you successfully bomb a town and a player's ship to submission is priceless. Achievement unlocked!

bread's done
Back