XBLA - Battle: Los Angeles - 800 Points

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
So, anyone try this yet? I D/L the demo, but did not get a chance to try it. The graphics looked good for an XBLA game. I'm a sucker for FPS, so I may take the plunge if the demo holds up.

(Sorry if there was a thread already...I searched)

Why am I not surprised they did a game based on the movie?

The movie feels like a game throughout, so I guess this is just making sure people get the feeling when playing the game as well.

The game is absolute garbage. I imagine the achievements are easy. Otherwise, I can't see a good reason to play the game.

Pros:
Ammo is plentiful. There are crates that completely refill your guns/grenades after every encounter. I'm not sure why I need a full arsenal after every 5 enemies, though.

Cons:
Bad art/animation for the storytelling cut scenes
Controls are sluggish and feel terrible. I upped the sensitivity all the way and it wasn't enough.
You can only sprint for about 12 feet before the ability has to recharge
Grenades are only useful for blowing up cars
Enemy AI is awful. They just stand and shoot. Sometimes they'll crouch behind a car or walk about 6 feet.
You squad is lifeless and useless.
Single-player only. Maybe that's a pro?
The demo is super short. I think it took about 10-15 minutes to complete on normal.
Supposedly the full game is no more than an hour long.

[quote name='shrike4242']Why am I not surprised they did a game based on the movie? [/QUOTE]

I was thinking while watching the movie this past weekend..."this could be a good game." Then I laughed at my own stupidity for thinking any game based on this movie would be "good."

[quote name='Logg']And way to many shots to kill anything[/QUOTE]

But how many shots does it really take to kill an alien? :)

Ok, so I may pass on this based on initial thoughts. Maybe if it hits 200-400 points.

Thanks for the thread, the replies confirmed the status quo.

XBLA+FPS doesn't seem able to mix well, it's the home of excellent 2D & Isometric love that gets ignored by retail releases.

That, and games crapped out from nowhere based on a movie to coincide with its release date never smell like chocolate.

it has nothing to do with it being an xbla game, it's just falls on the developer and people who worked on the game. most of what I think is negative is what louie posted. I tried the demo for 10 minutes, felt more like a chore than actual fun. Shooters typically having you blow shit up and have fun, here I just went from point a, to point b, to point c and so on. I'll wait until it hits dotw for about 400 ms points instead. No online multiplayer is a deal killer for me too.

If it was a full retail release they would have had a much bigger budget to make it possibly suck less. Being a movie tie-in on top of that adds the pressure of a release date.

I could be entirely wrong, but I'm getting the impression it was originally conceived as a retail release until they ran out of time and/or money so they dumped it onto XBLA for a mere 800 rather than finishing it. There's just no other explanation for it that I can think of.

It doesn't suck because it's an XBLA game; it's an XBLA game because it sucks.

i understand, but in this day & age who makes a shooter game for campaign only..really? Breach is $5 more and has online multiplayer, many more game modes and such. I understand it's a game based on the movie and what not, but it takes alot to kill the enemy and doesn't have much interest in the game. Everything went wrong from the cutscenes to the audio. If I could get this for about $6 i'd get it, but not for $10...yeaah!

[quote name='KaneRobot']Then I laughed at my own stupidity for thinking any game based on this movie would be "good."[/QUOTE]

Ghostbusters.

And that's it.

Went online and set up the download for the demo next time I play my 360. I too thought this might make a good game when I saw the movie. I really don't see why people hated this movie. It was everything I expected so I guess I didn't expect much. As for the game the graphics don't look all that great but what can you expect for the size of the game. Still need to play the demo but a full disc based game that some time and money was put into I would think wouldn't be that bad. However it would be a game based off of a movie and we know how them are. I think the only exception to the rule is the terminator game that was based off the last movie. Both were not good at all but the game was better than the movie.

I agree the demo is meh but I love how they made a movie tie in as an arcade game. Not only does that cut down on costs and production time, but you don't feel as robbed if it doesn't turn out as well. Movie games have a habit of sucking, but this may lead to some better quality movie tie in games if they can cut down some of the scope of their projects. This may be a flop, but I'm hoping more companies follow this example.

bread's done
Back