XBLA - Braid - 1200pts

[quote name='zewone']Yeah, that's cool that he's in it for the love of the money and not the art, right Rolento?[/quote]

:lol: helps when the money is the art.

:lol: also at the fact that people don't like to get past the possibility of an artist not always having to starve.

[quote name='zewone']You should buy the game for me. He really wouldn't starve then. :cool:[/quote]

to be honest, I would if I could gift points since i've got a stack of points I know I won't use after this month.

[quote name='thrustbucket']He asked him to support the claim that the game would have sold more at 800 points. Which you didn't. (even though zewone is a known pirater, he's rarely going to defend any price for any game)
Even then, just because it sells more at less, that doesn't mean it makes more money, unless it sells past a certain point.

Your suggestion doesn't work, because lowering the price that soon just gives the finger to everyone that bought the game before. You just make enemies out of the people trying to support your work by doing that.

By your logic, all games should come out at $100 and slowly decrease in price every couple weeks until it's at the price point worth it to you. Silly.

Then don't. The people that like to play good games always will. And unfortunately for people like you, Braid is showing developers that games can and will do well at $15.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to support the previous claim so of course I didn't. I could argue for a $10 game easily though. N+ stayed at the top spot for weeks at 800 points just fine didn't it? Just because he brings up one game against the $10 price point (a shitty game mind you) doesn't mean he's right.

Why should he give a damn about giving the finger to anyone? My friend just bought a 40 GB PS3 just before they announced the 80 GB PS3 ($400). Shit happens in this industry and if he really wanted to make money, and Microsoft would allow something like that, he should do it. Don't start bullshitting about a $100 price point by the way. We'll start with Call of Duty 4 or Assassin's Creed awhile back going to $40 every month or so. I would say that worked great for those games.

By the way (1) XBLA games sell in 400 point increments if you didn't notice and (2) 100 point increments aren't a deal. That obviously wouldn't work. People like seeing significant drops.

I like good games just fine. It doesn't mean I have to like the price as well.

[quote name='zewone']Well, I'm not sure the exact numbers but there is a point that more people would be willing to buy this game at 800 points versus 1,200 points.

The argument would have to be broken down like this:

10 people are willing to buy the game at $15: $150 in sales.
20 people are willing to buy the game at $10: $200 in sales.

All the people who bought the game at $15 would be willing to pay $10. No one can say for sure that a lower price point would equal more money in Blow's pocket, but you can say for sure that the game would have sold to more people at $10 (as evidenced by the Penny Arcade comic and general tones from around internet forums).

I myself would have bought it at $10. At $15, it's a hard sale when XBLA games I'm more interested in are around the corner (Castle Crashers and Bionic Commando) and I just bought Geo Wars 2 last week.[/QUOTE]

Unless I misunderstood the tone of your post, the implication was that Blow would have made more money had the game released at $10 rather than $15, not that he simply would have sold more copies.

One of the issues with an argument like the one you have made is that it depends on large, non-trivial increase in the number of units being sold to pay off. Internet forums are, unfortunately, not the most reliable way of gauging intent to buy.

If one looks at the sales numbers available it is even harder to judge how something will perform financially. During its “three day launch” Ikaruga sold 22.5k units. Penny Arcade Adventures Episode one, sold 16.5k during their respective launch, earning a reported $330,000. Using the same math, Ikaruga’s earnings were $225,000. Which one was better off, regardless of any unquantifiable “would have” purchases?

$10 to $20 is a bigger difference than $10 to $15.

If Ikaruga was $15, it would have made more money than Penny Arcade.

Like I said in my earlier post, no one can say if Braid would have made more money or not at $10.

It's just how I feel.

It also would have been nice because more people would have got to experience the game.

Marmosetofdeath hit the nail on the head.

I would love to believe that xbla games would make more money at cheaper price points, but all the numbers and figures available say the opposite.

Well, don't you think $225,000 is enough for a port of a Dreamcast game?

It wasn't like it was an original property.

You seem to be more interested in how much the business makes rather than how much the consumer spends (which is what this website is based off of).

[quote name='zewone']

You seem to be more interested in how much the business makes rather than how much the consumer spends (which is what this website is based off of).[/QUOTE]

I'm interested in both because I am both.

I'm assuming Blow has the rights to his title...MS simply published it. If so, i wonder if he would ever bring it to PSN, Steam, or other services? I know it's not about the money (according to him), but i'm sure it would get a lot more exposure on Steam and PSN (more so Steam).

*EDIT: I played the demo again and enjoyed the game. It would have been nice had there been a little hint saying you can't get all the puzzle pieces without first moving on, then coming back, but finally solving the puzzle portrait was satisfying...makes me wish i had 1200 MS points. Even though i don't think it's quite worth 1200, i would like to play the rest of the game.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']you don't need to move on to get all puzzle peices. you can get them right away. you just have to be clever.[/quote]
You do have to move on to the next door in order to get the right piece to use the puzzle portrait.

[quote name='SynGamer']You do have to move on to the next door in order to get the right piece to use the puzzle portrait.[/quote]

:lol: whoops, forgot about that... >_< that's the only time that happens though.

I just got done playing it, and it seems like a good game. but 1,200 points is twice as much as i would pay for it. The game seems like it would be a fast game to beat.

I hope after I get these last two stars that the multiple threads of the Braid's story will be woven together because it really doesn't make sense after reading all of the books.

[quote name='Razzuel']I hope after I get these last two stars that the multiple threads of the Braid's story will be woven together because it really doesn't make sense after reading all of the books.[/quote]

don't expect it to. it's more like an introspective look into conflict and the view has to pretty much decide what they want to think about it. yeah, that sounds artsy and crap but that's how the game is: conceptual based.

Hmm. I really like the story but I can't piece it all together.

Spoilers: Only read after you complete the whole game and read all the books.

There are some threads that really don't make any sense.

Epilogue Stuff:
There is this guy who dissected a bunch of rat brains and stuff. Eventually this guy and his friends figure out how to stop time, but then some god like figures asks who is disturbing her and why he wants to bring about the end of the world.

Then there are the threads about the girl and the baby. The girl is holding the baby and the baby is wrapping his arms around the girls neck. Then they are at a candy store and the kid wants to go inside or something like that (sorry I don't really remember it all). Eventually the baby (or I guess toddler) builds a castle out of blocks.

How does this all connect to Tim leaving his girlfriend in search of a princess.

I am so lost.

Oh and as a side note this game just makes me want to make my own game even more, but I am afraid that I am not far enough into gaining my Computer Science degree to even know where to start in making a game similar to Braid—as in a 2D side scroller. Johnathan Blow and David Hellman (Braid's artist) are awesome.

I finished it tonight and it's definitely an awesome game. I don't really understand the story completely yet either, except that it isn't really linear, but I plan on reading everything together sometime and trying to figure it out more.

I just downloaded this and finished it in one sitting. I was getting pretty frustrated at the end, but damn, some of those puzzles were brilliant.

This is the best game I've played in a long, long time.

Plot analysis using GameFAQs board:

Tim is delusional.

Think about the Epilogue. Going forward, you are "saving" the princess. Go backwards, you are the one stalking the princess. You're not really a hero. The ending gives you an interesting perspective on what you've done. That level was clever and chilling all at the same time.

Notice how all of those stories are kind angsty/emo/something-you-might-find-in-a-15-year-old's-diary? It seems like Tim is just depressed.He's in a relationship that has failed hence the whole ring and princess plot (which ties nicely into the whole change of perspective thing with the Epilogue and much of the entries about how he goes against the tide, etc.).

You'll be thinking about and talking about this plot for weeks to come. I hope something awesome is unlocked with the secret stars. I beat this game only an hour or two ago, but the whole ending is still sending chills down my spine.

This was a game I thought I totally would skip. Read nothing about it. Didn't really think the art was great. Boy was I wrong.

It's up there with the Metal Gear series, Shadow of the Colossus, the Halo terminals, and Bioshock for interesting stories and experiences. It's a story-driven game.

I finally got all the stars. The stars are hidden in the levels in the game.

So far nothing major has happened since I got all the stars. Maybe I will look some more tomorrow.

So far the only thing that I noticed that happened after I got all the stars is:

Spoilers: Do not read unless you got all the stars

Once you get all the stars there is a picture behind the constellation. Like some of our constellations of stars and that they represent a picture of a fish or lion or something.

Well when you look up the stars disappear and you can fully see the picture without the stars obstructing it and it reveals what I think is a princess in shackles.

Whoa, I just thought of what it means.

Tim has finally captured the princess. My reasoning is that the only way to obtain the last star is in the princess' bedroom and when you get up to her bedroom she like rips apart into a void and you lose your time power. Couple that with the picture of a shackled princess. Which is what leads me to believe that Tim finally captured her.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finally got all the stars. The stars are hidden in the levels in the game.

So far nothing major has happened since I got all the stars. Maybe I will look some more tomorrow.

So far the only thing that I noticed that happened after I got all the stars is:

Spoilers: Do not read unless you got all the stars

Once you get all the stars there is a picture behind the constellation. Like some of our constellations of stars and that they represent a picture of a fish or lion or something.

Well when you look up the stars disappear and you can fully see the picture without the stars obstructing it and it reveals what I think is a princess in shackles.

Whoa, I just thought of what it means.

Tim has finally captured the princess. My reasoning is that the only way to obtain the last star is in the princess' bedroom and when you get up to her bedroom she like rips apart into a void and you lose your time power. Couple that with the picture of a shackled princess. Which is what leads me to believe that Tim finally captured her.
[/quote]

makes sense... especially since
Tim is revealed to be the enemy of the princess. the princess runs off to a hero that saves her from tim when tim creeps up on her sleeping. Tim's a creep now that I think of it. A creep that dosn't know better.

Doing a speed run of the full game is hard.

I ended up with 56 minutes and the time to beat is 45 minutes.

I don't even know where I could cut off 9 minutes. Even more insane than that is the number one guy on the leaderboard and he did it in 33 minutes which seems impossible.

I finished/solved the game late last night. Some of those puzzles drove me up a wall.. but I really, really loved the game overall. Story was completely not what I thought it would be, but that only made it better.
The stars you guys are talking about -- is that something you can only pick up in a second run through? I haven't seen any stars..
I tried to start a speed run last night but I gave up pretty quickly. ..the 45 minute time limit may be beyond my reach.

[quote name='squid']I finished/solved the game late last night. Some of those puzzles drove me up a wall.. but I really, really loved the game overall. Story was completely not what I thought it would be, but that only made it better.
The stars you guys are talking about -- is that something you can only pick up in a second run through? I haven't seen any stars..
I tried to start a speed run last night but I gave up pretty quickly. ..the 45 minute time limit may be beyond my reach.[/quote]

The stars can be obtained in your first playthrough and they add another perspective to the story once you obtain them all.

BUT there is one star that requires World 3's puzzle pieces to NOT be connected. So if you already connected World 3's puzzle pieces then you have to start over.

I just thought that I would say to the people complaining about the price. Portal was only 2 or so hours, but it was easily one of the best games last year. And that cost $20. So if you are looking for this year's Portal (imo), it would be Braid.

I can't wait for the Target sale Sunday so I can grab some points on the cheap. I want this game so bad.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm just glad people are open to changing opinions.[/quote]

I'm sure it's different for everyone. I was decided after I beat the demo. The satisfaction and "oh wow, yea!" feeling you get when trying to figure out a puzzle is wonderful.

Damn... I tried another speed run of the game and I ended up with 50 minutes which shaved 6 minutes off my previous time.

I know how to solve all the puzzles efficiently but sometimes I just slip and fuck up and I have to try again. Here's hoping I beat it in time on this next try.

Gave the demo a play this afternoon. Looks great, and liked the music as well. Shame it's 1200 pts, for 800 I'd be more tempted to buy it.

[quote name='AshesofWake']bought it, and i don't know why, i don't have the time for this shit lol.[/quote]
Send some points my way then :D

Bought this and played through it. Well, by through I mean passing all the worlds and not getting all the puzzles. I got the 1st and 2nd puzzles solved no problems but the later ones...wow. I'm really going to be stuck on this for a while.

And everyone's right, the music and art in this game are simply splendid. Especially the well done time effects on the music, such as having it rewind and fast forward.

Woo hoo I completed my speed run of the full game.

I finished the game in 44 minutes and the time to beat was 45!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Razzuel']
Oh and as a side note this game just makes me want to make my own game even more, but I am afraid that I am not far enough into gaining my Computer Science degree to even know where to start in making a game similar to Braid—as in a 2D side scroller. Johnathan Blow and David Hellman (Braid's artist) are awesome.[/QUOTE]

You should try it. I am currently working on a side scroller (ala River City Ransom) using the XNA 3 CTP. It is a lot of fun and they have a ton of great video tutorials. If anything the hard part about a 2d game in XNA is that most of the information is build around 3D games. I would recommend buying a xbox wireless receiver for your computer so that you don't have to deal with debugging on the 360. Just build the game in an XNA windows game framework and then you can easily port it to the 360.

I'd also recommend getting some software to build your sprite sheets. I use Anime Studio currently because it lets you animate with bones. That way you can set time stamps, animate and then export a sequence of images. Makes sprite animation 100 times easier. Also set a deadline, otherwise these projects just die out when things get hard. The hardest part for me hasn't been the coding, it's been getting the dang content, especially since I suck at art :)

On to the main topic, I love the art style for the game. It is a little pricey though.

[quote name='Ryandb2']You should try it. I am currently working on a side scroller (ala River City Ransom) using the XNA 3 CTP. It is a lot of fun and they have a ton of great video tutorials. If anything the hard part about a 2d game in XNA is that most of the information is build around 3D games. I would recommend buying a xbox wireless receiver for your computer so that you don't have to deal with debugging on the 360. Just build the game in an XNA windows game framework and then you can easily port it to the 360.

I'd also recommend getting some software to build your sprite sheets. I use Anime Studio currently because it lets you animate with bones. That way you can set time stamps, animate and then export a sequence of images. Makes sprite animation 100 times easier. Also set a deadline, otherwise these projects just die out when things get hard. The hardest part for me hasn't been the coding, it's been getting the dang content, especially since I suck at art :)

On to the main topic, I love the art style for the game. It is a little pricey though.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.

Oh and uh Braid is awesome.

if ur interested in making a game, talk to me. I've made enough incomplete games to know.

looking at major nelsons profile seems to show you can unlock (or have I guess if you own the game) a braid gamerpic... nice.

I just beat the demo. I am going to buy this for sure. As others have said, finishing the first puzzle was extremely satisfying. I'm sitting here thinking I'm a genius!

[quote name='javeryh']I just beat the demo. I am going to buy this for sure. As others have said, finishing the first puzzle was extremely satisfying. I'm sitting here thinking I'm a genius![/quote]

That's how it gets you. It lures you in with a false sense of hope, then wham, it beats you over the head with a day old sourdough loaf. :dunce:

Just kidding; though sometimes it feels like the truth. ;)

True fact: I completed all of World 3 before I realized how to solve World 2-2. :oops:

i iz stupiz :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back