XBLA - Castle Crashers - 1200pts - Necromatic DLC 160pts 8/26

[quote name='zewone']But, it could have $12.50 more than you're willin' to pay! :)[/quote]
Fair enough, but i know my price and that's $10 or 800 points. Too bad i don't have a Target or else i might have been able to get some points half off and been able to get this game.

[quote name='zewone']1200 is much better than 1800.[/quote]
Wasn't Penny Arcade 1600 pts? I think that's the current pricing limit on XBLA games. Since Braid is 1200 pts, you can bet that this one will be 1200 or 1600 pts and most likely 1600 pts.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, I'm not willing to spend over $10 on downloadable content that I'm never going to be able to move to someone else. I never sell games, but I don't like not being able to do so if I wanted to. It's just the principal of the thing.

Consider the great volume of content contained within Castle Crashers, its offline and online 4-player co-op, its various features (Arena Mode, Treasure Hunt, etc.), and I think Castle Crashers is worth at least as much, if not more than, Penny Arcade Adventures. Penny Arcade Adventures should have been 800 points not Castle Crashers.

I am anticipating this title, but given that Briad and Bionic Commando are coming out just a few weeks prior, I hope the demo can show us exactly why we have been this hyped in the first place. It is going to need to kick some serious ass to get me to pay another 15-20 bucks after spending 25 bucks earlier in the month.

I'll pay 1600. This game is supposed to have good length, 4 player co-op online and offline, awesome arcade beat em up gameplay, and RPG elements. 1200 would have been better but I'll pay 1600.

[quote name='nyprimus4']I'll pay 1600. This game is supposed to have good length, 4 player co-op online and offline, awesome arcade beat em up gameplay, and RPG elements. 1200 would have been better but I'll pay 1600.[/quote]

I'm in the same page here.

The 800 price point is making it hard for me to pull the trigger on games, but 1200 makes me certain I won't.

I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on N+.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Are you even serious.[/quote]
Even if he wasn't, he brings up a good point. People are throwing money at XBLA games too freely. For $15-20, you can get a plethora of games for the Xbox, PS2, GameCube, DS, PSP, and even the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Wether they are previously used or just discounted, they are there. There's more reviews for them than there are XBLA games, and overall, there's more content (95% of the time). Whem XBLA games start reaching $15 and $20, i would rather buy a retail game.

[quote name='SynGamer']Even if he wasn't, he brings up a good point. People are throwing money at XBLA games too freely. For $15-20, you can get a plethora of games for the Xbox, PS2, GameCube, DS, PSP, and even the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Wether they are previously used or just discounted, they are there. There's more reviews for them than there are XBLA games, and overall, there's more content (95% of the time). Whem XBLA games start reaching $15 and $20, i would rather buy a retail game.[/QUOTE]

yea but a game like geometry wars 2 has enough to warrant a higher price. castle crashers is said to be full of content as well.
I feel the actual issue is the lack of physical media at an increasing $. id bet castle crashers would sell well at $30 on a disk.
I dont know which side im on but I think thats the real issue.

[quote name='thrustbucket']If that's the real issue, gamers better get use to it or stop gaming, in the next few years. Especially in the next generation of consoles.[/quote]
That's why i still have my PS2 and Dreamcast. I'm prepared to stick with this generation and last if it means losing physical possession of my games.

If there where, say, 10 games of the genre and quality of Castle Crashers on XBLA, I think even Microsoft would try to charge less, to make it stand out more.

But right now, the game is probably going to be the best, most expansive game of it's genre on the service, and will probably be for a long while. Unless Technos and Treasure get together, and make "Guardian Heroes of the River City", allowing Kunio-Kun and Han Samuel to team up against Khan, Zur, and the Ripoff Lee Brothers...

For that matter, it's probably the most developed game of it's time to come out on home consoles in the past 10 years... and that's a real shame!

WHY AREN'T THERE MORE RPG/BEAT-EM-UP HYBRIDS IN THIS WORLD!?!?! -ahem- They're like... the perfect genre for online game services, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Live proved Beat-em-ups are great sellers. Yet we're still going without so many of the big classics... I know why we don't have Dungeons and Dragons, X-men the Arcade game, and Alien VS Predator... but what about things like Sengoku 3, Captain Commando, Undercover Cops, The Combatribes? (And did I mention I'll always and forever want a big-budget Guardian Heroes Remake?)

Getting a game as memorable (heck, possibly more so) than those, for below 50 dollars, heck, below 30 dollars, is a steal. I love the way Digital Downloads have brought us great games, from talented gamers-turned-game-designers, who really GET what made those games of the past great. Full priced 60 dollar games don't always deliver such timeless, enjoyable gameplay, so just because it comes in a cover with a manual, doesn't make every clearance game on a shelf better than some of the downloadable wonders we're starting to receive. Unfortunately, the price of retail seem to keep a lot of certain genres out of our hands. So I've really started to appreciate digital sales.

ANYway, Have you guys seen the Alien Hominid character videos on the Devblog? The vine-magic his opponent shoots out are wonderfully animated, and the Hominid's Magic jump is to teleport into the air by a column of light! The variety and quality of the games magic effects are really impressive. Each character is looking more and more individualized and memorable...

I have little issue with digital copies as long as there is a way to recover lost copies in case of a system failure.

[quote name='ZForce915']I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on N+.[/quote]
Same here. I loved the demo, but I have the pc flash version on my flash stick and I can play that nearly anywhere for free.

I have 14 XBLA games, but thanks to various freebees, I only paid for 7 of them. I've been very selective because before you know it, you have a large investment on your HDD. I have little faith in downloadable content being usable 10 years from now. And I don't want hundreds of dollars sitting around that I can never get back.

[quote name='mogamer']Same here. I loved the demo, but I have the pc flash version on my flash stick and I can play that nearly anywhere for free.

I have 14 XBLA games, but thanks to various freebees, I only paid for 7 of them. I've been very selective because before you know it, you have a large investment on your HDD. I have little faith in downloadable content being usable 10 years from now. And I don't want hundreds of dollars sitting around that I can never get back.[/quote]

You know that brings up a good question... don't you think that 10 years from now, if, say, the XBLA service DOES get rid of the current XBL games in lieu of something else, on later iterations... people might actually pay a premium for a system with hard drives full of games?

Unlike "the real world", where you can always find an old package online in auctions, or in a pawn shop... these would only be owned by the people who first purchased them. There'd be no extra copies to find.

Just a thought.

[quote name='orbit18']i dont know much about this game, but it looks very fun. will it have online play or only local coop?[/quote]

4 players local coop and 4 players online.

I'm going to be blunt: I think they deceptively put that fake price point (1800) out there to make this one (1200) more acceptable to the people who followed this game.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going to be blunt: I think they deceptively put that fake price point (1800) out there to make this one (1200) more acceptable to the people who followed this game.[/QUOTE]

So how do you feel about the 1,200 point pricetag?

I can do 1,200 points, though I need to buy another card because I have 900 on my account.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going to be blunt: I think they deceptively put that fake price point (1800) out there to make this one (1200) more acceptable to the people who followed this game.[/quote]

I would have bought it at 1200 regardless. I was just hoping that it would be a typo of 800 points that was rumored earlier based off of magazine sources seeing as all XBLA games up to this point have been in increments of 400 and 1800 being a typo of 1600 was far less likely.

However first, like everyone should, I will try the demo before I spend any money on it. There's always a chance, however rare I think it may be this time around that I won't like the game. Then if you're still unsure, wait for player impressions/reviews on it.

Probably would have bought it at 1600 because of Targets sale on 1600 Point Cards as well though.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going to be blunt: I think they deceptively put that fake price point (1800) out there to make this one (1200) more acceptable to the people who followed this game.[/quote]

I agree with you there. Hinting at a high price point, and then presenting a 'lower' (aka: still expensive) price makes the lower price seem more reasonable to people. Although in this case, I think that Castle Crashers will be worth it. Just a generation ago, this would have sold for $30 or more.

nice. 1200 is solid, it looks like it offers a lot and 1200 is acceptable, especially considering its long development.

Yes! Will definitely buy this at 1200 points, of course, I would have paid even more, but only 1200 points is a bit of a relief. Can't wait to play this is two weeks!

[quote name='mrcheapo11']Yes! Will definitely buy this at 1200 points, of course, I would have paid even more, but only 1200 points is a bit of a relief. Can't wait to play this is two weeks![/quote]

I pretty much would have payed any reasonable price they asked:) But man, 1200 is an awesome price, especially since it comes with a Free Theme + Gamer Pic(s)! Between this and Bionic Commando.... Just... Wow.

Target Points Sales + Summer of Arcade = Some of the best gaming values ever.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Do Silver accounts have to wait a week to download? I have exactly 1200 points and cannot wait a week![/quote]

No, you don't have to wait. You should be able to get the game just as soon as it is available. You only have to wait for things like Demos, sold content appears instantly.

I still think it's a high price tag. Don't give me this 'so much content' argument either. Online multiplayer games, arcade games especially do not have much of a shelf life. In 2 weeks you won't be able to find anyone to play with.

[quote name='KingBroly'] Online multiplayer games, arcade games especially do not have much of a shelf life. In 2 weeks you won't be able to find anyone to play with.[/quote]

:whistle2:| Though that is true for some crap XBLA games, just a week ago I was able to get all the multiplayer achievements in Marble Blast Ultra, and that was one of the first XBLA games. And, most of the time, the room was either full, or close to full. Granted, MBU is a great game, and there weren't an incredible amount playing, but point being is that good games will still be played. And in any case, people still playing Castle Crashers when it is "old" will probably be great at the game, which should only help if you are playing the main quest (vs. mode not so much).

[quote name='KingBroly']I still think it's a high price tag. Don't give me this 'so much content' argument either. Online multiplayer games, arcade games especially do not have much of a shelf life. In 2 weeks you won't be able to find anyone to play with.[/quote]

Ever play Guardian Heroes on the Sega Saturn? It's similar to this. It's the kind of game people (myself included) still play whenever there's a chance to.

Remember, all the multiplayer in this game is entirely playable offline as well. And online is always "resurrection ready!" if you have friends willing to play with you. None of those options disappear if you have the game for a long time.

I think I'll be playing CC on and off for years to come, personally. This game will probably go down as a cult classic, and will probably be one of the longest-lived XBLA games on Live.

[quote name='SynGamer']This just makes the 1200 point price tag for Braid look even worse. No online play, no local multiplayer...[/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding me. More than half of the games in your Now Playing list don't have the features you just outlined, and cost four times as much as Braid does.

[quote name='deadgopher']You have got to be kidding me. More than half of the games in your Now Playing list don't have the features you just outlined, and cost four times as much as Braid does.[/quote]
The last 5 games i've played...

Halo 3: offline and online multiplayer
Rock Band : offline and online multiplayer
Madden 07: offline and online multiplayer
Fable 2 Pub: free
Burnout Revenge: offline and online multiplayer

So...what were you saying?

[quote name='SynGamer']The last 5 games i've played...

Halo 3: offline and online multiplayer
Rock Band : offline and online multiplayer
Madden 07: offline and online multiplayer
Fable 2 Pub: free
Burnout Revenge: offline and online multiplayer

So...what were you saying?[/quote]

I believe the "now playing" list being referenced, is the one in your signature. With House of the Dead 2 and such.

[quote name='SAB-CA']I believe the "now playing" list being referenced, is the one in your signature. With House of the Dead 2 and such.[/quote]
Ah i thought i read recent. I haven't updated my mow playing list in a while. But i guess i can break my now playing list down...i'll include the prices i paid for each.

$12 Forza 2 - online and off
$14 Lost Odyssey - no online but 40+ hours of gameplay
$70 House of the Dead 2 - includes the game and 2 dream blasters, no experience quite like it :D
$20 GoW:CoO - touche, though different difficulties and challenges add replay value
$20 HSG: OT2 - online and off
iconpcwin.gif
$Gift DMC4 - fun and it looks amazing on the PC, but alas, no multiplayer

[quote name='SynGamer']$70 House of the Dead 2 - includes the game and 2 dream blasters, no experience quite like it :D[/quote]
$10 Braid (Cheap point cards) - No expereince quite like it.

I don't see the difference.

[quote name='sj41']$10 Braid (Cheap point cards) - No expereince quite like it.

I don't see the difference.[/quote]
No way of obtaining cheap points aside from trading. I'm not saying Braid is a bad game, but for $15, no multiplayer of any sort hurts the replay value.

[quote name='SynGamer']No way of obtaining cheap points aside from trading. I'm not saying Braid is a bad game, but for $15, no multiplayer of any sort hurts the replay value.[/quote]... Point cards are on sale this week at Target.

It doesn't have a lot of replay value, but it is a great experience that is worth the money. And it has replay value in it's Speed Run mode. I'm going to keep playing until I can beat the game in the 45 minute time, although I know that not everyone is interested in this achievement.

I'm buying Castle Crashers too, and I think it is a good value, but for what Braid gave, I think it was well worth the money (especially since I gave it to my friend for free using Shipwreck's method).

EDIT- Sorry to make this about Braid.

[quote name='SynGamer']No way of obtaining cheap points aside from trading. I'm not saying Braid is a bad game, but for $15, no multiplayer of any sort hurts the replay value.[/QUOTE]

synbraidme9.jpg

I know trials don't show up on gamecards anymore, but my point is still valid: you haven't completed the game, you don't have any idea what that $15 actually gets you, therefore you aren't exactly in a very good position to be arguing against it's value.

Enough with the arguing please.

EDIT: The above is just stating an opinion...if you want to act on it don't do it on this thread, this thread is for discussion on Castle Crashers.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back