XBLA - Comic Jumper - 1200 points - Out Now

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
picture.php

The release date was just announced as October 6, which is a part of Microsoft's upcoming Game Feast promotion.

Info
Threatened with becoming just another failed superhero, Captain Smiley is rescued by the fine folks at Twisted Pixel who provide him with a base of operations and Comic Jumping technology allowing him—and his back-talking "chestkick" named Star—to leap into other comic books and save misguided plotlines, so that they may earn enough cash to catapult their superhero careers back into the limelight. From the creators of the award-winning titles Splosion Man and The Maw, Comic Jumper is the team's most ambitious game yet.
  • A world of comics: Jump between four totally unique comic book art styles in both 2-D and 3-D, encompassing over thirty characters. Play through eleven missions, eight challenge levels, and a decked-out base.
  • Unlockables: Discover character upgrades and countless "making of" bonuses on which to waste Captain Smiley’s hard-earned money.
  • Freebies: Display the free premium dashboard theme, and sport the free gamerpics and avatar accessories. And check out the free all-new unlockable Splosion Man levels!
  • Original story: Play through the original story with Twisted Pixel’s trademark humor, written by award-winning writers Matthew Entin and Ed Kuehnel.

Trailers

After reading more coverage about the game, I'm a little hesitant to buy. The game has been compared to Splosion Man in terms of difficulty, and although I'm halfway through Splosion Man, it's hard going to continue.

We'll see with the demo.

I will buy anything twisted pixel makes. The amount of freebies they include and the sense of humor is fantastic. I am a little disappointed they decided to make the jump to the 1200 pricing structure though but I have no doubt that it will be worth the $15

I had just beaten 'Splosion Man recently in anticipation for this game and although it was pretty difficult I had really gotten the hang of it by the third series of levels. The really hard part is convincing anybody to play through the frustration in co-op... that's an achievement that I'm just never going to get!

Anyway, I'm really excited about this game... regardless of that silly review I had read that didn't really care for it!

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I will buy anything twisted pixel makes. The amount of freebies they include and the sense of humor is fantastic. I am a little disappointed they decided to make the jump to the 1200 pricing structure though but I have no doubt that it will be worth the $15[/QUOTE]

Oh, there's no doubt that their games are worth 1200 points. What with the avatar awards, gamerpics, and themes -- it's a really nice package!

[quote name='uglyteradon']I had just beaten 'Splosion Man recently in anticipation for this game and although it was pretty difficult I had really gotten the hang of it by the third series of levels. The really hard part is convincing anybody to play through the frustration in co-op... that's an achievement that I'm just never going to get![/QUOTE]

Yeah, my husband and I really enjoyed the game in co-op at first....but it requires far too many synchronized jumps to be fun. When you're racing levels that have rising acid or water, the game stops being fun and starts being maddening.

The next to last trailer video makes this look pretty cool, but I have to say that I was disappointed in 'Splosion Man and think it's pretty wildly overrated. You folks are talking about that game getting too frustrating in coop, I thought it reached annoyingly difficult state in single player and have never even come close to finishing it and doubt I'll ever bother. When a game is just frustrating and not fun, that's bad. Heck, I enjoyed my punishment in Contra DS a lot more then 'Splosion Man and while I'd never finish that game either, at least it was fun for as far as I got. I won't finish that one because I don't think I can - it's insane. Insane but fun. 'Splosion Man, on the other hand, rapidly turned into a chore, and it didn't help that there were far too many levels in each set of levels. I felt like it was endless. Heck, I thought the level numbering was a joke at first, that there would never be a set 2. I was dismayed, not elated, when I found out it wasn't a joke :(

This game, though, it does look like it's got a lot more variety (at least in that next to last trailer), so maybe I'll get it, especially with the spend 2400 get 800 promo. I'll try the demo first, though.

Splosion Man wasn't impossibly hard, as I beat it without much trouble outside of maybe two or three difficult areas. Hardcore is a whole other beast though. Maybe it's because I enjoy the challenging platformers on XBLA (N+, Splosion Man, and hopefully Super Meat Boy), but I've gotten through the single-player campaign, maybe a few levels in hardcore mode, and the first two section of the co-op (waiting for my friend to come over so we can finish it up).

Comic Jumper is a big game at 1.92 GB, so clear up some hard drive space if you need it.

I really didn't find splosion man that difficult. It was challenging as hell but never overly frustrating. I can't believe people didn't like the co op. That was the single best co op experience I've had with my little brother, that kind of fun is the reason why I have no problem paying for xbox live.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki'] Comic Jumper is a big game at 1.92 GB, so clear up some hard drive space if you need it.[/QUOTE] :shock: I figured it would be a big file, but I had no idea it was that big. Holy crap! I'm glad I recently upgraded to the 250 gb S. Still, with my pathetic internet connection, it's going to take me 3 days to download this game.

I've played through the Nonac(or whatever) missions. I guess I prefer the Splosion Man gameplay, but this one has some pretty good humor.

Is there seriously nobody else playing this? I only saw one person last night on my friends list that even tried it.

It makes me sad.

It's been a long time since I have seen so much obvious passion, care, and nuance packed into a game.

I understand if people don't have the money to buy it, but it makes me sad that nobody is trying it.

Here's my thoughts.

So Comic Jumper is funny as hell. But gameplay? I died four times in the first level and I'm no slouch at platformers or action games in general. Not because the game is neccesarily hard but there is a lot of bullshit. The first level honestly reminded me of gunstar heroes with the way I was running around killing jetpacked enemies, bitches throwing bombs, and cats on the ground level. Hell they even ripped something straight out of Gunstar on the first level. When you are in "Shooting" mode of the game (aim with with the right analog sitck and shoot with the right trigger) the game doesn't pick up on close range attacks fast enough (since it's all stupidly on the same button, THE RIGHT TRIGGER) so bitches be grabbing you with the quickness (Just like in Gunstar!). With all the other buttons on the controller a dedicated MELEE button would help a lot. The platforming isn't as tight as it should be. I fell three times on a pipe section because his ass wouldn't respawn right on the pipe. He kept falling in between two pipes. WTF? I mean I got passed that part and the game uses a checkpoint system but tighter gameplay goes a long fucking way ya know? That's what made Gunstar so good is how TIGHT it was. When you wanted to grab someone you could. You weren't still shooting some cat that's right in your face, you toss his ass. Platforms were always clearly defined. Stuff in CJ, like those aforementioned pipes look almost like highlights on something in the background.

I expected more from the cats that brought last year's incredible 'Splosion Man. Luckily CJ is funny as hell. So many good jokes though the some of the dialogue sounds like it was written by 12 year old males on 4chan. I still think it's worth 1200 points. It feels like a full game and there is a lot to discover.

Just finished playing the demo, and I agree with some of what FurryCurry says above, about how the difficulty is definitely there. I also died multiple times in the demo, and I found some of the platforming harder than I expected. Still, it feels like a full game, has tons of comedy and pack-ins, and seems well-worth 1200 points. I may get it at some point, but this month's promo from Microsoft has me eying two other games I've been wanting: Deathspank and the upcoming Costume Quest.

I recently played through Deathspank and didn't really like the humor, but Comic Jumper is funny stuff. The joke about the Maw DLC was friggin awesome.

I see this game as a new Earthworm Jim. The platforming and combat lack a tightness, and it can be punishlingly hard, but you play it for the fun and jokes.

A lot of times I think too, people get angry when they die in games. I died twice on the first level, but started right where I died, so no big deal.

Maybe they will patch in an easy mode? They seem to cater to their fans.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Ugh I really suck at games :cry:

I literally cant go on a mission without dying atleast 4-6 times.[/QUOTE]

That's ok in this game.

One thing I found that helped was to slow down and be more methodical. Now I really only start to die a lot if I run too much.

I played the demo last night and just had to buy it. A game has not made me laugh like this in a good while. I mean games have made me chuckle but I actually LOL'd (L'dOL?)

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just finished playing the demo, and I agree with some of what FurryCurry says above, about how the difficulty is definitely there. I also died multiple times in the demo, and I found some of the platforming harder than I expected. Still, it feels like a full game, has tons of comedy and pack-ins, and seems well-worth 1200 points. I may get it at some point, but this month's promo from Microsoft has me eying two other games I've been wanting: Deathspank and the upcoming Costume Quest.[/QUOTE]

*nods*

[quote name='thrustbucket']To melee you just tap the right trigger. It doesn't automatically do so while shooting.[/QUOTE]

I mean I figured that out. It's just not 'tight'. I mean the left trigger could have been a melee button. Yeah some people like to jump with left trigger but then you just leave a customizable control scheme in the options menu. :whistle2:/

[quote name='wakawakawa']I recently played through Deathspank and didn't really like the humor, but Comic Jumper is funny stuff. The joke about the Maw DLC was friggin awesome.

I see this game as a new Earthworm Jim. The platforming and combat lack a tightness, and it can be punishlingly hard, but you play it for the fun and jokes.

A lot of times I think too, people get angry when they die in games. I died twice on the first level, but started right where I died, so no big deal.

Maybe they will patch in an easy mode? They seem to cater to their fans.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I loled to that too. I lol to many of the tongue in cheek jokes. It's good stuff. And I totally see it as the 'new Earthworm Jim'. Fond memories of Jim are about the pretty colors, music, and humor. Not the gameplay.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Ugh I really suck at games :cry:

I literally cant go on a mission without dying atleast 4-6 times.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='thrustbucket']That's ok in this game.

One thing I found that helped was to slow down and be more methodical. Now I really only start to die a lot if I run too much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess that's the case. You WILL die. No trying to Contra through this! Die die die Captain Smiley! I will start trying to go slower too.

[quote name='uglyteradon']The more I play this game the better I get at it.[/QUOTE]

I think that'll be the case. I'll keep pushing through it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's an aim assist option if you're having trouble.[/QUOTE]

Aiming isn't a problem. That's the one area where the game absolutely nails it. I've envisioned a platformer like this for ages.

(I like quoted this entire page lol. )

Hey guys, let someone give you a call.

"BOOM goes my ring tone!!!"

[quote name='wakawakawa'] The joke about the Maw DLC was friggin awesome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thought that was funny too.

Speaking of The Maw, it needs to go on sale again. I always wanted that game.

[quote name='wakawakawa']I recently played through Deathspank and didn't really like the humor, but Comic Jumper is funny stuff. The joke about the Maw DLC was friggin awesome.[/QUOTE]

There were some laughs in Deathspank but the voice acting for DS himself got old pretty quickly. Anyway, played the CJ trial and laughed out loud several times. The gameplay seems decent so I'm probably going to pick it up.

I'll give the demo a shot, but what I've heard/seen from this game is that it's funny as hell when you aren't playing, and boring as shit when you are.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I'll give the demo a shot, but what I've heard/seen from this game is that it's funny as hell when you aren't playing, and boring as shit when you are.[/QUOTE]

A few levels are too long but I wouldn't go as far as to call it boring.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It is pretty awesome to be able to use in-game money you earn to buy avatar items, a premium theme, and splosion man levels.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you can get more 'splosion man levels from the extras in this game?

I got the trial, I loved this game until I started actually playing it. the basher part at the beginning was crap, then then next sequence where you can actually shoot was better but still seemed boring. I dont know if I want to grind thru levels dying a ton of times just to watch the kinda funny cut scenes. the splosion man levels are the only thing keeping me interested.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, it's even mentioned in the OP. They're the most expensive item in the store, I believe.[/QUOTE]

I bought the most expensive item ($5000) thinking it would be the premium theme and it was the splosion man levels. It's only two levels, and one is MP. Still pretty cool though.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']I got the trial, I loved this game until I started actually playing it. the basher part at the beginning was crap, then then next sequence where you can actually shoot was better but still seemed boring. I dont know if I want to grind thru levels dying a ton of times just to watch the kinda funny cut scenes. the splosion man levels are the only thing keeping me interested.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are the type that really should not buy this game then. It certainly isn't worth 2 splosion man levels.

The gameplay itself is not fun enough to be worth the price for this game. It's not boring, but it's generic. But the constant banter that happens throughout the game along with the stuff between levels makes it more like an 'experience' - almost like an interactive animation than a game.

It's sort of the opposite of Enslaved in that regard. Enslaved is super easy and rarely challenges you in any way, you are playing for the story and experiencing the world itself.

Meh. I didn't mind the first level that much, but seeing the second level is just more of the same is disappointing.

It takes too long to kill anything (even the easy guys take a bunch of shots to kill). By the time you're done disposing of one goon, you've got 3 or 4 about to hit you. This would be better priced at 800 pts.
If you're on the fence, get something else. The game is simply not very enjoyable unless you really like the humor phrases going on in the background.

bread's done
Back