XBLA deals of the week for September

phragit

CAGiversary!
August 31 Penny Arcade Episode 2 800msp*

September 7 Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords 400msp

September 14 Lode Runner 800msp

September 21 Pinball fx 400msp

great deals for the whole month, enjoy

*listings are from xbox 360 blog Japan (found via www.gamerbytes.com) and thus may be different from US Deal of the Week if the US Deal is not avialable in Japan.

edit: also worthy of note, Defence Grid and Yo Ho Kablamo are set to release on September second, both at the price of 800msp (far less than the $20 price of Defence Grid on PC)

In for Lode Runner.

You know, the deal of the week could reap in tons of money for MSFT. too bad they only have something good every other month...or when they do, chances are 98% of the masses already have it (like GTAIV: TLAD)

So we're back to announcing the deals early? Sweet.

I'm not up for Penny Arcade right now; I liked what I played of the first one, but the text was almost illegible on my standard-def TV. I put that one on the back burner as a result, so I'll pass on the second one.

Puzzle Quest, though...I've definitely got to go for that. :D

Plan on picking up Puzzle Quest. Would get Penny Arcade Ep. 2, but already have Ep. 1 one on PC. Would make more sense to get Ep. 2 on PC as well.

Nice deals. Already own Lode Runner, totally worth it.

In for Puzzle Quest and don't know about Penny Arcade, didn't like the old RPG aspect of it.

I just bought Lode Runner and I have to say- it is a little blah. I mean it is probally worth the $10.00, but I really do not care for it

Lode Runner is definitely the one to get. Hope this comes to US. That asterisk should be for all games I think based on how the source worded it.

How have so many of you not purchased puzzle quest yet? Shadow Complex is great put puzzle quest is still the best game on the live arcade. How have you all resisted buying it for over a year?

If I have PQ for the PS2 am I missing anything by not having it on Xbox? Aside from the expansions.

Anyone have Pinball FX? Any good?

In for some Lode Runner since I already have the others. Which reminds me, I have to get some points in so I can get GTA4: Lost and Damned. I guess I'm part of that 2% that doesn't have it yet, according to token2K6, so the Deal of the Week still works out in my favor :)

destro4eva - Online play is what you'd be missing if you have the PS2 version of the game. That and widescreen support but nothing else that would impact gameplay at all. As for PinballFX, it's pretty damn good. One of the better representations of pinball out there. Of course, the extra tables make the game better (Rocky & Bullwinkle and Street Fighter come to mind) but the default ones are very good on their own.

[quote name='destro4eva']If I have PQ for the PS2 am I missing anything by not having it on Xbox? Aside from the expansions. [/QUOTE]

nope, your not missing anything outside of the expansion pack and multiplayer

[quote name='J7.']Lode Runner is definitely the one to get. Hope this comes to US. That asterisk should be for all games I think based on how the source worded it.[/QUOTE]

It is for all games, I used the plural 'listings' for that reason, notation for a list is normally marked on the first item. I hope that clarifies things for anyone confused by that.

Penny Arcade is super quality. I got it for that price on eBay a while back, so worth it.

I'll probably bite on Pinball and Puzzle Quest. Never heard of Lode Runner. :x

destro4eva - Online play is what you'd be missing if you have the PS2 version of the game. That and widescreen support but nothing else that would impact gameplay at all. As for PinballFX, it's pretty damn good. One of the better representations of pinball out there. Of course, the extra tables make the game better (Rocky & Bullwinkle and Street Fighter come to mind) but the default ones are very good on their own.[/QUOTE]

Hey Dumalox,

Have you tried the Williams Pinball Collection game for either the Wii, PS2 or PSP? Does Pinball FX compare at all to that amazing game?? I am also probably going to HAVE to buy that game(Williams Collection) again when it comes to the 360 as they've added tables, will probably look better than Wii, etc. Will miss the awesome Wii controls though. :cry:

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Sigh.... I was really hoping that the Puzzle Quest expansion would be on sale :(

[/QUOTE]
I second that. I'll get penny arcade. Have to try pinball to see if I like it. One of the few that didn't care for lode runner.

I have a Japanese Xbox Live acct which I do alot of Japanese M$ Purchases and the Deals of the Week are usually the same. I remember Ikaruga being a DOTW and I purchased it on my Japanese live account for 800points. And yes there is even PA content available to Japanese Live accounts.

Getting Lode Runner and PennyArcade episode 2. They should have always been that price. :)

And Defense Grid is gonna rock! I love the PC version.

[quote name='Sulik2']How have so many of you not purchased puzzle quest yet? Shadow Complex is great put puzzle quest is still the best game on the live arcade. How have you all resisted buying it for over a year?[/QUOTE]

Umm, cause I have it on the DS?

@destro4eva: PinballFX was the first game I bought from XBLA I thought it was very good. I'm particularly fond of the "Agents" table, but everyone has their favorite.

And what's the deal with Lode Runner? I vaguely remember the name from my childhood but have no idea what the game is.

I'll likely snag PA Ep2 even though I've yet to play the first one. Seems to make sense as I have plenty of points to burn.

I own PQ on DS and 360. Puzzle Quest on 360 is a fair improvement over the DS game. Both the graphics and music are way, wayyyy better. They fixed some glitches and rebalanced spells a bit too. Plus the online multiplayer and expansion. It's worth a repurchase if you really enjoyed the portable version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKyxg8q44QY

Lode Runner is a classic Hudson puzzle/action game. Bomberman is actually a spin-off of Lode Runner as the enemies in NES Lode Runner look exactly like NES Bomberman (& Bomberman becomes a Lode Runner in NES Bomberman's ending). Hudson did a Lode Runner remake on PS2 & GC in Japan and it was a lot of fun. The XBLA game sounds fun too, though the generic, non-Japanese art direction is a drag.

Oh look, Lode Runner is going back to its original price.

Maybe I'll grab Pinball. It's different enough to warrant a spot in the collection at that price.

I might buy all these games except for puzzle quest since I own it for the PSP. If it's DLC were cheaper I might consider buying it again.

I think I will bite on all four.
This month excels in deals. Microsoft may be trying to compensate for the crappy deals these past few months.

And I don't buy Arcade games, unless they're on sale (like on Deal of the Week) or if it's a really acclaimed game (ex., Castle Crashers), so I don't have any of these four Arcade games yet. :D I will be happy in September.

[quote name='hostyl1']
And what's the deal with Lode Runner? I vaguely remember the name from my childhood but have no idea what the game is.

[/QUOTE]
It's a classic game that is incredibly overlooked. There's a demo for it on 360 and the demo actually has a lot of info about its history. It also has a level editor. The original game was made by one man, Douglas E. Smith.

Just visited wikipedia to refresh myself since I only know its history from the demo and my past memories of remembering an old IP with this name. It 1st came out in 1983 & was one of the first games ever to have a level editor. A magazine had contests to see who could create the best level, something that should've been done for LBP. The original programming had ASCII character graphics. This article is a great read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lode_runner

[quote name='phragit']It is for all games, I used the plural 'listings' for that reason, notation for a list is normally marked on the first item. I hope that clarifies things for anyone confused by that.[/QUOTE]
Good stuff. I'm just used to lists where the asterisk is used on everything that applies.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Oh look, Lode Runner is going back to its original price.
.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='unopepito06']I hate the new Lode Runer, it's nothing like the old pc/ps1 version :cry:[/QUOTE]
How are they different? I'm wondering what the original vision was like for this game.

bread's done
Back