XBLA - Death Tank - 1200pts - 2/18

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
bntdeathtanktt4.jpg

Features

Death Tank is a fast-paced action game that rewards quick reflexes and cunning strategy. Devastating weapons and unique items give your tank unlimited destructive power. Eight separate landscapes react to tank combat, altering their shape when hit and providing an ever-changing environment in which to play.
Battle with up to four friends on the same console, against multiple A.I. opponents in single-player combat, or up to eight tanks simultaneously in the Death Tank arena via Xbox LIVE® for exciting co-op or chaotic free-for-all play! Crisp graphics and amazing effects coupled with fast-paced game play makes each battle a visceral experience.

• Classic shooting game: Death Tank is an updated version of the classic "ballistic" shooting game.
  • Strategy and action: Get ready for a fast-paced action/strategy game that requires both quick thinking and careful planning.
  • Futuristic weapons: Battle for supremacy using futuristic tanks armed with an assortment of deadly weapons and defenses.
  • Next-gen upgrade: Death Tank is now 100% rewritten to use the awesome power of Xbox 360 to produce unmistakably next-gen visuals.

Achievements: http://www.achieve360points.com/game/deathtank/

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44988.html
Looks sort of like a Worms clone...I definitely want to give this one a shot.

Scorched Earth is the one where you're inputting the angle and the power of the shot, right? I knew it as Tank Wars - I've still got a copy for DOS that I'll play every now and then.

1200 points is far too steep for me though.

[quote name='JJSP']Scorched Earth is the one where you're inputting the angle and the power of the shot, right? I knew it as Tank Wars - I've still got a copy for DOS that I'll play every now and then.

1200 points is far too steep for me though.[/quote]

yup, thats scortched earth. I used spend countless hours in my neighbors basement playing this game when I was young, so many good memories. I would love to buy this but there is no way I will pay $15 for it.

grrr.... why are live arcade games going for so high these days!??!! I'll buy it anyways because I am a sucker for tank wars... it was a lot of fun back in the day and the graphics look really worth it.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']so excited to see a scorched earth clone and then I found out the price. I am passing up so many games because of this trend of 1200 point games.[/quote]

This.

[quote name='Halo05']fuck the 1200 point standard. For that much I can get tons of retail games at various places.[/quote]

exactly.

I still stand by point that live games should be allotted achievements based on price. If I'm paying $15 for a arcade game it shouldn't be capped at 200 when I cam get retail 360 games for that price. I mean it wouldn't really change my mind on paying for the price but if I did break down and pony up the $15 it would be nice if I had more achievements to work towards thus adding a little more re playability

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']They've pushed the 1200 point standard on us now, slow and steadily.[/quote]

Yep, and I rarely buy any XBLA games now, and never the 1200 point ones.

[quote name='benjamouth']Yep, and I rarely buy any XBLA games now, and never the 1200 point ones.[/QUOTE]

Me neither, at least not recently. I have no problem with a truly special title like Street Fighter II HD Turbo or Castle Crashers, but these clearly 800 point-worthy titles? Forget it. R-Type Dimensions didn't sell well and I doubt that Death Tank will either. I don't know what MS is thinking in this economy, but hopefully consumers will vote with their wallets and this trend won't continue. If they stubbornly insist on pricing anything remotely decent at 1200, I won't be buying much there anymore.

[quote name='ITDEFX']grrr.... why are live arcade games going for so high these days!??!! I'll buy it anyways because I am a sucker for tank wars... it was a lot of fun back in the day and the graphics look really worth it.[/quote]
You answered your own question. They are charging it because people can't control themselves when they think something is overpriced, and they will just bite it and buy it anyway. It's your own fault this stuff is getting more expensive.

Yep, they're charging that much because they think people are willing to pay that much. Business 101.

I think I would have gotten this at 800 points. Tank Wars was a lot of fun back in the day. I'm not sure how real-time Tank Wars would work though.

[quote name='ZForce915']I think I would have gotten this at 800 points. Tank Wars was a lot of fun back in the day. I'm not sure how real-time Tank Wars would work though.[/quote]

Yea it looks all fast paced. Too pricy. :cry:

You guys complaining about price are cheap. This game is seriously fun. $15 is nothing for this much fun.

Download the trial and play some FREE MULTIPLAYER. Also i hear it comes with the oldschool game too. So really you get 2 games for the price of 1 !!!

[quote name='huanglong']You guys complaining about price are cheap. This game is seriously fun. $15 is nothing for this much fun.

Download the trial and play some FREE MULTIPLAYER. Also i hear it comes with the oldschool game too. So really you get 2 games for the price of 1 !!![/quote]

well it is cheapassgamer.com

believe me I want this game but bottom line is it's an 800 point game and if we keep giving in to this new price standard we will be stuck with it. I'm not ready to spend $15 on a downloadable arcade game.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']well it is cheapassgamer.com

believe me I want this game but bottom line is it's an 800 point game and if we keep giving in to this new price standard we will be stuck with it. I'm not ready to spend $15 on a downloadable arcade game.[/quote]

Check out the Free multiplayer trial before you decide. This is as close to a pure multiplayer game as you can get. I think you will be on the edge of your seat.

This is really one fun game.:bouncy:

The two games in one thing is crap. Most of the time if they do this its on old games which this is so there is no reason to be 1200. If it goes down and enters arcade's best then I'll purchase.

[quote name='Spybreak8']The two games in one thing is crap. Most of the time if they do this its on old games which this is so there is no reason to be 1200. If it goes down and enters arcade's best then I'll purchase.[/quote]

Ill tell you what, just download the trial and play some multiplayer. It's free and it's totally fun!

[quote name='huanglong']Ill tell you what, just download the trial and play some multiplayer. It's free and it's totally fun![/quote]

I'm not talking about downloading the trial, nobody is, we're talking about the price for purchase. Most of the games that have the old version I might play a couple of times but it's not a true .5 part of the price sorry.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I'm not talking about downloading the trial, nobody is, we're talking about the price for purchase. Most of the games that have the old version I might play a couple of times but it's not a true .5 part of the price sorry.[/quote]

Is $15.00 really worth thinking about about? I pay 4.00 for a latte that last about 15 mins. I know I will enjoy Death tank for many hours.

anyhow i say give the trial a whirl and see if you like it.

Too rich for my blood, and I don't even pay for my points... I've supported 1200 point games in the past, but only when I really, really wanted them.

[quote name='huanglong']Is $15.00 really worth thinking about about? I pay 4.00 for a latte that last about 15 mins. I know I will enjoy Death tank for many hours.

anyhow i say give the trial a whirl and see if you like it.[/quote]

well thats where you and I differ. I'm poor. I don't pay $4 for a latte, I make my own coffee or buy shitty 99 cent gas station coffee. With the economy where it's at moneys tighter than ever, even if it was 800 points I shouldn't be spending that even though I would. Don't get me wrong I'm sure its a good game but its the principle of this new 1200 point standard that I just cannot get behind.

Is $15.00 really worth thinking about about? I pay 4.00 for a latte that last about 15 mins. I know I will enjoy Death tank for many hours.

anyhow i say give the trial a whirl and see if you like it.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']well thats where you and I differ. I'm poor. I don't pay $4 for a latte, I make my own coffee or buy shitty 99 cent gas station coffee. With the economy where it's at moneys tighter than ever, even if it was 800 points I shouldn't be spending that even though I would. Don't get me wrong I'm sure its a good game but its the principle of this new 1200 point standard that I just cannot get behind.[/quote]

Yea you know what website you are on right. This isn't Braid for one thing and Starbucks is a rip off. I LOVE Scorched Earth but no way for 1200.:roll:

Braid this is not....

hmm. 15 bucks for this...or 20 for GTA 4 DLC....which is the better deal?

[quote name='foxdvd']Braid this is not....

hmm. 15 bucks for this...or 20 for GTA 4 DLC....which is the better deal?[/quote]

Haha yea bad timing.

This feels almost exactly like Worms, and that game is 400 points now. Yeah, I know it's real-time, but with slow reloading and awkward aiming, it might as well be turn-based. I really can't imagine too many people are going to buy this game, at least not at this price. I anticipate pretty terrible numbers on 360voice.com tomorrow.

Ok I dont care what you guys say. This game is soooooooooooo fun. If you can't afford $15.00 you cant seriously call yourself a gamer.

wait what? Not turned based?!?!?! That's what made it so fun (Tank Wars)! How everyone would try to dis you thinking you wouldn't hit the other guy but end up getting him with a good shot anyways. hmmm..

I will wait for more reviews.

[quote name='huanglong']Ok I dont care what you guys say. This game is soooooooooooo fun. If you can't afford $15.00 you cant seriously call yourself a gamer.[/QUOTE]

Of course I can afford it. That's not the issue. I can afford a $10 Big Mac and a $4 can of soda as well. I just CHOOSE not to spend 50% more on an item than it's worth. If you can get all the gameplay of Crash Commandos for $10 and Worms for $5, then how can you justify charging $15 for Death Tank? It's just a rip-off in my book. If you think it's a bargain, then congrats. Enjoy.

I'm very curious to see what the purchase rate on this game is. I suspect that #1: It won't be good at all and that #2 : Too few people owning the game will make the multiplayer suck as a result.

Too few people owning the game will make the multiplayer suck as a result.
I find the multiplayer for most XBLA Games to suck a month after release - everyone has moved on. I only buy Arcade games now if the single player is enjoyable.

This is so fucking awesome. It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned it yet, but this is actually a remake of a bonus game that was hidden in the Sega Saturn versions of PowerSlave and Duke Nukem 3D.

[quote name='Zyzomys']I find the multiplayer for most XBLA Games to suck a month after release - everyone has moved on. I only buy Arcade games now if the single player is enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Well, Worms, Uno and Bomberman have solid MP communities, but as a rule you're exactly right.

[quote name='Decker']
I'm very curious to see what the purchase rate on this game is. I suspect that #1: It won't be good at all and that #2 : Too few people owning the game will make the multiplayer suck as a result.[/quote]

Well, this remains to be seen, but so far im getting into games quick and easy. I think I saw it say something like found 75 games...

Try out the demo and see for yourself. You can play multiplayer for free for 60 minutes. Games don't get any cheaper than free!

Its funny that people compare this game to worms. Worms is turn based this game is REAL TIME. There really is no comparison.

[quote name='huanglong']Well, this remains to be seen, but so far im getting into games quick and easy. I think I saw it say something like found 75 games...

Try out the demo and see for yourself. You can play multiplayer for free for 60 minutes. Games don't get any cheaper than free!

Its funny that people compare this game to worms. Worms is turn based this game is REAL TIME. There really is no comparison.[/QUOTE]

Fine. I compare it (unfavorably) to Crash Commando on the PSN. No tanks, but REAL TIME battles with an assortment of weapons on a 2D plane against other players in teams or deathmatch. Still, it seems very similar to Worms besides the REAL TIME element and that game is 800 points less. I tried the demo and was seriously underwhelmed. It's not a bad game; it's just overpriced in my (and many other's) opinion.

[quote name='Decker'] I tried the demo and was seriously underwhelmed. quote]

Did you play any multiplayer? That's where the fun is. This game is really for those people that like skill based multiplayer games. I am fully aware that some do not enjoy that type of game. Personally, I love them! Anyhow, try the multi if you haven't. I haven't lol'ed so much at a game in years!

anyhow TTYS!

[quote name='huanglong'][quote name='Decker'] I tried the demo and was seriously underwhelmed. quote]

Did you play any multiplayer? That's where the fun is. This game is really for those people that like skill based multiplayer games. I am fully aware that some do not enjoy that type of game. Personally, I love them! Anyhow, try the multi if you haven't. I haven't lol'ed so much at a game in years!

anyhow TTYS![/quote]

MAN you REALLY love this game. You would think it was your child auditioning for American Idol or something.

I tried the demo...blah.....seems like something I should get free on Newgrounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back