XBLA Dec 6th --- Roboblitz

Weedy649

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Sorry if this is somehow a repost but i saw this over at IGN

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/748/748990p1.html

[quote name='IGN']The Unreal Engine 3 makes its debut on Xbox Live this Wednesday with the release of RoboBlitz, an action game loaded with puzzles and physics-based weapons. The initial offering of Naked Sky Entertainment, RoboBlitz will be available starting 1:00 a.m. PT on December 6.

The game puts players in the role of Blitz, a robot tasked with activating a space cannon in order to save his world from space pirates. Consisting of 19 levels, a free trial version will give players a taste of the game's first three stages. Downloadable content is planned for the future.

RoboBlitz will put you back 1200 Microsoft Points.[/Quote]

Glad to see another original game for XBLA, 1200 seems a little steep but it does use the Unreal Engine 3. Look forward to the demo at least.

The Unreal Engine 3 makes its debut on Xbox Live this Wednesday

I thought Gears of War used the Unreal 3 engine? How is this a 'debut' for it on Xbox Live then?
Actually I believe Rainbow Six: Vegas uses it as well.....

Sounds like a cool game though.

I think this game will definitely be worth it, especially if you enjoy toying around w/ physics. There is a kick-ass video preview over at gametrailers... give me a few minutes and i'll post a link.

Edit: Ok, here you guys go...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eogQblE_ZpU[/media]

Very interesting video. 1200 is a lot for an XBLA game, but I'll play the demo and read some reviews before I pass judgement. Looks like it could be a fun game to play with my 5 year old son.

Game looks really fun, but not sure how long that will last...

[quote name='arrrggghhh']How is this 50 megs? Am I missing something?[/quote]
Yep

[quote name='porieux']I thought Gears of War used the Unreal 3 engine? How is this a 'debut' for it on Xbox Live then?
Actually I believe Rainbow Six: Vegas uses it as well.....

Sounds like a cool game though.[/QUOTE]

It is the first unreal engine game for xbox live ARCADE. Which is what they meant.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It is the first unreal engine game for xbox live ARCADE. Which is what they meant.[/QUOTE]

I suppose, though that's not what they said.
Of course bad writing in videogame 'journalism' is all too common.

[quote name='Roufuss']Game looks well worth 1200 points... hell it looks like it could almost pass for a real retail game.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. At least this looks like it could be worth the 1200 points unlike that billiards game. That preview video really makes the game look like it's worth getting.

Woke up, saw this thread and I was about to download the trial version.

Instead I downloaded the full version. Goodbye 1200 Points, and Good Morning!

I played it for a little bit, and thought it had nice graphics, but was a fetch-quest nightmare. The physics are interesting- until you try to pick up a box and it drags on the floor; severely inhibiting movement.

Someone mentioned it reminded them of Ratchet and Clank; it must be the environments. It surely can't be the gameplay. I'll give the game it's full day in court this evening.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Woke up, saw this thread and I was about to download the trial version.

I played it for a little bit, and thought it had nice graphics, but was a fetch-quest nightmare. The physics are interesting- until you try to pick up a box and it drags on the floor; severely inhibiting movement.

Someone mentioned it reminded them of Ratchet and Clank; it must be the environments. It surely can't be the gameplay. I'll give the game it's full day in court this evening.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely more of a puzzler than a platformer. I like the physics puzzle aspect. I actually laid in bed before I went to sleep thinking of various ways you could approach situations. Stun enemies, pick them up. I wondered if you can even pick up an enemy that fires weapons from behind and make them fire at enemies.

There seems to be a sandbox element to this game, in that you can approach situations in a number of ways, which makes it cool.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Woke up, saw this thread and I was about to download the trial version.

Someone mentioned it reminded them of Ratchet and Clank; it must be the environments. It surely can't be the gameplay. I'll give the game it's full day in court this evening.[/quote]

and just why did you buy it site unseen? on accident?

[quote name='orntar']and just why did you buy it site unseen? on accident?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was tired, and I bought the full version instead of the trial.

I never woke up, drove down to the local EB and picked up a game on accident before. Damn you direct downloads.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Yes, I was tired, and I bought the full version instead of the trial.

I never woke up, drove down to the local EB and picked up a game on accident before. Damn you direct downloads.[/quote]

ah, i see. funny analogy though.

My thoughts:

For an XBLA game, it's pretty good looking and probably the only game worth the 1200 points. My only gripe with the game, all the bosses are the same. That's fine having standard enemies, but I'd like at least a little variety with the bosses. The only thing that chages is how you end up killing the boss. Otherwise, I think it's a nice little game.

I played for half an hour or so then bought it. It's an enjoyable little puzzler with a dash of combat that's pretty. I figure it's one I'd have probably picked up for $10-15 on a disc, so I dropped the 1200 points. Plus I needed something I could play with my kids around...

Played the demo and hated it, the controls were unusable in my opinion, I'd rather buy COD2 or something random for $20.

Did anyone else get a controller disconnect message during the 1st stage where they are telling the story downstairs before the 1st wave of enemies? Mine kept disconnecting from the 360 about 5 or 6 times it was very odd. I used the controller for about an hour before playing something else and after I quit the game and went back to what I was playing before I had zero problems.

Yeah, controls are really sensitive, but I like the overall feel of the game and the puzzle gameplay. I think I'll be picking it up soon.

After spending a few hours with this over the weekend, I can honestly say I'm enjoying it. It's challenging and the boss fights are probably longer then they need to be, but it's fun. Physics are pretty good and entertaining to play around with.

Naked Sky entertainment also stated on Major Nelson's podcast that they will be releasing a mulit-player component for Roboblitz sometime in the near future. They also stated that IT WILL BE FREE. :) This game could make for pretty fun deathmatch if they get it balanced well. Certainly makes the argument for the 1200 price point better.

Played the demo but didn't really like it. I actually thought it sucked, but now that I read what people are saying I'll reserve my judgment. Maybe I'll try again later.

I wish they released that one 50 meg shooter game that used procedural graphics (forget what it was called). It played like Quake III.

A unreal/Counter Strike clone with a variety of gametypes, weapons, and wicked looking procedural graphics, at 50 megs, for the right price (800 points), would pwn XBL. If they got it on Connect Anywhere (or whatever that thing is called), for like $5 on PC, it could be a gaming revolution.

bread's done
Back