XBLA: Double Dragon: Neon - 800 Points - Out now. Free soundtrack!

[quote name='whiptcracker']
Personally I love 2D beat em ups, Double Dragon, and WayForward, but I dislike the art and animation of Neon from every video I've seen of it and plan on skipping the title. No online co-op at release seems really shortsighted as well. Writing it off because of the art style might be shallow, but frankly I already have a backlog of games, and there are others with art styles that I do not find grating to play.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame, because Neon does a lot to please fans of the series. There's the excellent soundtrack with remixes of many classic tunes from part 1 and one from part 2, the actual Double Dragon II NES sprites are used on the map screen, there are various jokes about elements from the games (including the absence of a few things from the past games), and some clever reworking of levels and bits of levels from past games. For instance, the tank and helicopter from DD2 turn up here but in a very creative and over-the-top fashion. Plus the better-than-ever co-op, even if it unfortunately lacks online right now.

The old games weren't exactly life-like in appearance either. I suppose a realistic art style like this is better than cartoony:

1836880-test_your_might_super.png

But seriously, this:

doubledragonneon.jpg

could have looked like this:

ddxbox2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eastx']That's a shame, because Neon does a lot to please fans of the series. There's the excellent soundtrack with remixes of many classic tunes from part 1 and one from part 2, the actual Double Dragon II NES sprites are used on the map screen, there are various jokes about elements from the games (including the absence of a few things from the past games), and some clever reworking of levels and bits of levels from past games. For instance, the tank and helicopter from DD2 turn up here but in a very creative and over-the-top fashion. Plus the better-than-ever co-op, even if it unfortunately lacks online right now.

The old games weren't exactly life-like in appearance either. But I suppose a realistic art style like this is better than cartoony:
[/QUOTE]

I'm certain it probably is good, WayForward is a very talented developer. I've had no problem with the art style of any of their past games, the weird 2.5D look of the character sprites in DD:N when moving just bugs me. Gateways and Joe Danger are also being released this week, and since they don't have graphics that bug me, I'll be playing them. At some point in the future if there's a sale I'll probably pick DD:N up.

[quote name='whiptcracker']This statement is nuts. Viewtiful Joe, Castle Crashers, The Dishwasher, Shank 1/2, etc are great 2D action games. That and right now we are living in a 2D rebirth and golden age among various 2D genres. Fez, Rayman Origins, Limbo, Splosion Man, Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, Boy and His Blob, Donkey Kong Returns, and so on.[/QUOTE]

If you want my honest opinion of these great games, here's my opinion of them all.

WARNING, you will NOT agree with anything I will post, so no use getting ruffled up about it. As all of these are how I really feel about these games.

Viewtiful Joe had a lame gimmick with the time speed up (never could get that to work right) and slowdown, it was repetitve, trite and shallow. I've had VJ2 for years) bought both when I got my GC, but after the scarring exp. of playing 1, I've never played it for more than 15 mins. that's how much I hated the exp.

Castle Crashers, ugly boring flash game, I hated Alien Hominid and this one didn't sell me on the Behemoth as a decent developer either

The Dishwasher had promise, but the graphics were muddy, the story confusing, and again repetitive button mashing with nothing new added to the mix, I understand it was one guy and Xbox fans needed something to get behind in the early days, but seriously....

Shank 1/2, etc are great 2D action games, Shank is ok, I own both, but have yet to play 2 as it was more of the same, if they would have went more over the top instead of playing up tropes of 25 years ago, learn boss move, rinse repeat until dead, I would have enjoyed it more, especially the end boss of 1, you HAD to use the dodge move to kill him, lame. End of story.

That and right now we are living in a 2D rebirth and golden age among various 2D genres. Fez, Rayman Origins, Limbo, Splosion Man, Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, Boy and His Blob, Donkey Kong Returns,
And you're smoking what...Fez is the only thing on that list that did something new and exciting, I can't and won't give you anything that Twisted Pixel does, I've tried out every one of their games and each one left me scratching my head in wonder as to why people spoke so highly of them (Dishwasher syndrome again, needing to find anything in the early days of XBLA to be better than PS3) gimmick laden garbage is all they know how to do, and not 2D as you infer all 3D on a 2D plane.

Bionic Commando rearmed did that right, but even still it wasn't as good as the original.

Limbo did a nice ambient 2D exploration game, but it wasn't the greatest.

Spelunky.....uhhh no thanks, I'll play La Mulana instead (game was a rip off of it anyway)

I did mention gimmicks right....speaking of Super Meat Boy = time trials, how is that fun, its a puzzle game, pretending to be a 2D platformer...snooze-o-rama.

Cave Story see La Mulana, it's not current, nor part of this 2D revolution that you are talking about, you were just late to the party with finding it and I quote "is a freeware platform-adventure video game released in 2004 for the PC"

Boy and his Blob, I think I remember playing that...oh right in the year 1989. As much as I try to love Way Forward's games the only one they've done to impress me is Shantae, and that was only released on handhelds, otherwise they're capable, but boring games.

DKR is 2D....news to me, see (Bionic Commando and any of Twisted Pixels games) Rayman and a few others are the only ones that are 2D and then hand painted (not sprite based) 2D titles. All of these flash based "2D" titles, I personally don't see the charm in, even though I own most of them.

Personally I love 2D beat em ups, Double Dragon, and WayForward, but I dislike the art and animation of Neon from every video I've seen of it and plan on skipping the title. No online co-op at release seems really shortsighted as well. Writing it off because of the art style might be shallow, but frankly I already have a backlog of games, and there are others with art styles that I do not find grating to play.
I love them too, but as I've already mentioned 2D beat'em ups died in the late 90's when it came to new innovation and added to the genre. Rare as an example of a company that was pushing 2D beat'em ups in new directions, problem was their Battletoads games had very loose play controls and were hard as hell (not to mention super cheap, btw)

The only companies to master and push the 2D beat'em up were Sega (which ended after Streets of Rage 2), Konami (they mastered it with their licensed 2D beat'em ups, but lost it when they all played the same), Capcom (the Punisher Arcade game is one of the pinnacles of 2D beat'em up excellence, along with Aliens vs. Predator and Warriors of Fate to name a few), and lastly Treasure, I've already mentioned Guardian Heroes, and to a lesser degree Gunstar Heroes with its melee combat in a 2D shooter, but they've shown they don't have it anymore either with the games from the last decade when it comes to 2D beat'em up mastery (GH Adv anyone)

I'm not personally railing against you, but seriously a 2D golden age is NOT upon us, and while a few bright spots might make it through now and again (Fez), I have yet to see anything worthwhile and commercially viable that is embraced (was shocked you didn't mention the "2D Mario" NSMB games....which are actually 3D)

There was nothing nuts about my statement, I've played virtually anything and everything of note that says its retro and with the few I mentioned, there is nothing that comes close to the old school games. If wayforward wanted to do Neon justice they would have blatantly ripped off NES DD's version of one on one combat (the versus mode or whatever it was called), that was how to do it right.

And the art style reminds me of the old 2D games that tried to do motion capture, but just couldn't get it right (Primal Rage, Clay Fighters, etc)

My statement still stands, if you disagree, fine, that doesn't mean what I said has no merit because you think it to be so. Anyway, I've got nothing more to add to your comments. Moving on to East X's comments now.

[quote name='eastx']It's always nice to be recognized and remembered. But you level some strange assertions, sir![/QUOTE]

I call it as I see it, I observe and read a lot of the conversations, I don't see the need to be anyone's sycophant, as while I appreciate your enthusiasm, I regularly disagree with your opinions on things. Just don't comment much because they'd turn into cluster fucks like you see here, and honestly I don't have that kind of time to address things like this anymore in the kind of detail I would like too.

Yes, I come here to promote and discuss games that I'm excited about. Many people also do the same. I don't think of any game I like as something that everyone will enjoy though, especially if it's something I haven't played and may not actually end up liking myself. I do expect (or prefer) people to approach games with an open mind and learn about them before making a judgment. Writing a game off for its art style is shallow IMO, so I do speak up against it.
Agreed, however, you do proselytize quite a few titles (the ones I mentioned as examples) maybe I just hit the highlights of your reviews, but the general consensus I come away with on your opinions, I've already stated.

I think you're admitting that you don't really care about the beat-em-up genre that much, as apparently the ones you like are all from your younger years. A nostalgic view of a genre or a kind of game (Sonic anyone?) is better than no positive view at all, but only liking the old stuff and finding it impossible to enjoy the new stuff is not a perspective I can appreciate.
Let's pause for station identification here. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, I've been reading many articles recently on retro nostalgia and rose colored memories and the like. And I'm the first to admit that something was not nearly as good as I remember, but also I am also the first to point out that something is STILL as good as it always was, and then point out its redeeming qualities that impressed me to begin with.

Also to that, most of those games I didn't not encounter until the early 2000's when I was into a heavy arcade kick and trying to see and play all of the games I never got to play when they were released in the 80's and 90's. So I don't have that nostalgia to fall back on as you might think, and I call'em like I see them as I always have.

That has ZERO to do with my dislike of the current games and more of their constant retreading and doing nothing new that we've not seen before. Many people are blinded by this wave of 2D masterpieces (as whiptcracker calls them) because they even didn't take the time to become privy to a large majority of where these games came from, their origins, and where a lot of these ideas originated.

I did take that time I played a vast majority of what I could through emulation, but the point still stands, after going through over 5000 games (estimate only) from the 80's and 90's from Atari - SNES and Arcade (I'm not bragging this point, just pointing out where I come from based on my exp.), I would say I have a pretty good shit filter for what is good and what is not, no nostalgia needed thank you very much.

Me, I love the genres I loved growing up (in addition to new ones) and I'm always excited to see them grow with new games. Then again, there's nothing wrong with disliking a particular kind of game. It's when you enter the discussion that others have the right to react to that attitude.
And I'm not denying you that, and fine, I'm up for a little heated discussion, as long as it stays cordial and not accusatory or defamatory, but I'm not blind to what is going on in the here and now vs. what I played in the past. And I seriously disagree with the sentiment that a majority of these genre games coming out today trump what came before when in fact a large portion are me-too's and copy cats. (Nostalgia be damned)

I'm more than willing to praise something when I think it does it right and damn good. (Look no further than my gushing about La Mulana's remake in the PC section of this very forum) that is a game that seriously needed some attention, and sadly still hasn't gotten much from people (more were interested in the Wiiware version instead)

[quote name='uncle5555']If you want my honest opinion of these great games, here's my opinion of them all.

My statement still stands, if you disagree, fine, that doesn't mean what I said has no merit because you think it to be so. Anyway, I've got nothing more to add to your comments. Moving on to East X's comments now.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say what you said has no merit, I just think you're nuts. That doesn't change after reading what you wrote. I played the same games that you mentioned, and enjoyed many of them. However I think that your opinion is beyond just rose colored glasses and is in rose colored LASIK surgery territory. You're entitled to your opinion as I am mine, I just cannot respectfully disagree when you say what I feel is complete bullshit about talented developers like Twisted Pixel. So it goes.

Many people are blinded by this wave of 2D masterpieces (as whiptcracker calls them) because they even didn't take the time to become privy to a large majority of where these games came from, their origins, and where a lot of these ideas originated.

That's not what I called them, though I don't disagree with that. Just wanted to add, if you don't want people to get ruffled (as you called it, literally, instead of me putting words in your mouth) you should learn how to state your opinions without adding a bunch of fallacies. You make sweeping generalizations, and stoop to insulting the experience of others as the basis of your argument instead of actually providing a counter argument. You so far have claimed to have unequivical experience in knowing what is good and what is not, however your argument has boiled down to because you say it is so and not based on any unbiased metric. If you wish people to prevent getting 'ruffled' then having a constructive opinion and not just saying that you've played more so you know better might work out better for you in the future. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='uncle5555']I call it as I see it, I observe and read a lot of the conversations[/QUOTE]

man, this thread is full of too much unnecessary vitriol. for a guy to swing from one extreme superlative to another is just crazy. You know, there is a wide range of adjectives from which to classify the quality of a game. There's a reason why the English language is rich with words to choose from so that not everything is awesome or sucks tail. You know it's alright to call a game average or okay. We seem to now say if a game is not sick, it must suck.

It's one thing to voice an opinion. It's another to try to shout down someone else's opinion and try to prove them wrong by showing them that their opinion is wrong.

and to have a thesis that's trying to prove how 2D gaming is so awful, wouldn't the energy have been better spent looking at other threads that do interest you?

[quote name='Rodimus']Streets of Rage 2 is a great classic beat em' up, but there's a ton of games in genre that are better.[/QUOTE]

I can't think of any, what are you thinking ?

[quote name='benjamouth']I can't think of any, what are you thinking ?[/QUOTE]

Both Dungeon's & Dragons beat em ups
Scott Pilgrim
Aliens vs Predator (arcade)
X-Men
Turtles in Time (SNES version)
Final Fight 3
Probably a few more. Capcom had some great but obscure beat em ups, but I can't of their names.

Streets of Rage 2 is great and all but it's pretty standard as a beat em' up.

It's funny that a debate is going on about beat 'em ups. The latest game informer listed co op games and they failed to mention Final Fight which I think played an important role in the 90's beat 'em ups. I always buy its reiterations and would love to see Final Fight 2 and 3 released again even though I remember them not being good.

I enjoyed DDN and played it extensively in one sitting. Though I think I'm stuck on the last stage (I believe it's the last stage but then again the game keeps going and going) where you're sliding down a slope. I too got it free with PS+ and I don't think I would've paid more than $10 for the game. I've generally been a beat 'em up fan but recent releases have left a bad taste in my mouth (TMNT Re-shelled, Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim and some others). I still think that this game is entertaining but has it's flaws too. Seems so stupid to make a game w/o online in this day and age and especially for the price point.

Has anyone beat the game? My current stage is quite frustrating because of that stupid slope depleting my lives.

I need to check out the demo for this. I love me some beat em ups and am interested to see how this plays. I don't really care for the art style but i'm willing to give it a chance.

Oh, and I have to agree with benjamouth 100%...Streets of Rage 2 is the best beat em up ever:)

[quote name='darken']It's funny that a debate is going on about beat 'em ups. The latest game informer listed co op games and they failed to mention Final Fight which I think played an important role in the 90's beat 'em ups. I always buy its reiterations and would love to see Final Fight 2 and 3 released again even though I remember them not being good.

[/QUOTE]

I love Final Fight and it's one of my favs of the Capcom compilation disc. However, a much better "sequel" was The Punisher. I'm pretty sure it was made by the same team as it has a very, very similar feeling but the gameplay has been upgraded on so many levels.

[quote name='dirtyvu']I love Final Fight and it's one of my favs of the Capcom compilation disc. However, a much better "sequel" was The Punisher. I'm pretty sure it was made by the same team as it has a very, very similar feeling but the gameplay has been upgraded on so many levels.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get to play The Punisher for too long. I took the MARVEL offices tour and they had it in their lobby. I didn't realize it was free until 5 - 10 mins before the tour started. I also wanted to play Aliens vs Predator

[quote name='darken']I still think that this game is entertaining but has it's flaws too. Seems so stupid to make a game w/o online in this day and age and especially for the price point.

Has anyone beat the game? My current stage is quite frustrating because of that stupid slope depleting my lives.[/QUOTE]

Double Dragon Neon will get an online multiplayer patch within the next few months. Read the thread, it's good for ya!

The game is much easier in 2-player. You can both revive each other infinitely, and share life if necessary. Sucks if you don't have any friends to play with, though the real suckage in that situation is not having friends to play with. :cold:

But you can alleviate the difficulty by going back and grinding earlier levels (especially level 2 and whatever levels Absorb drops in) to buff your character.

And nope, that sliding level isn't the last level.

[quote name='darken']I didn't get to play The Punisher for too long. I took the MARVEL offices tour and they had it in their lobby. I didn't realize it was free until 5 - 10 mins before the tour started. I also wanted to play Aliens vs Predator[/QUOTE]

play it via MAME! heck, if you want another person to play it online with, let me know! :p

I haven't actually fought him yet (been running through lower levels a bunch), but there's two things you can try. One, make sure you duck and Gleam as much as possible. Two, if you own two controllers, just log in a second player when you're about to die and use that player's lives for a boost.
Oh, you could also buy extra lives from the shop, which you can find by jumping off a falling platform when you see a sign with an arrow pointing down.

I didn't know there was a shop in the last level.I'll do that with the second player tho! Ducking doesn't seem to work that great on him. in fact, I hate the whole ducking mechanic anyways. Haven't really used it throughout the whole game

Damn it, Paul, get PS Plus or just buy the game on PSN. You've had a boner for this game for a long time and I want to play it with you.

[quote name='Matt Young']Damn it, Paul, get PS Plus or just buy the game on PSN. You've had a boner for this game for a long time and I want to play it with you.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the PSN version has online play yet either, does it? But I'm too heavily invested in the 360 and Xbox Live systems to go back to PS3 at this point. Just no time for it.

[quote name='therealdanhill']I'm having trouble with the final boss, even with 3 lives. Any tips? I'm on normal as well. Do I just go grind spin kick a ton?[/QUOTE]

there's a secret on the last level that should help

after going through the portal of love go left and theres a hidden ladder beneath the clear cola

[quote name='therealdanhill']I'm having trouble with the final boss, even with 3 lives. Any tips? I'm on normal as well. Do I just go grind spin kick a ton?[/QUOTE]

I beat him using Training Wheels and Lightning. I couldn't get close enough to attack a lot of times so the lightning really helped. The training wheels also gives you a lot of extra health if you upgraded it enough.

I'll probably have a review up for it in a day or two.

I was a little wary of the game after seeing the graphics, but I am glad I picked it up. I REALLY enjoy it. Love the fake 80s music, the little bit of RPG elements. The humor is great as well. Best beat em up I have played in a long while.

[quote name='RallyV']In case anyone is still on the fence about Double Dragon: Neon, here's my review. it might help swing you one way or the other.[/QUOTE]

Umm, are you a male who is writing reviews from the perspective of two female cartoon characters? That's truly outrageous! :lol:

Anyway, great review. I did notice a mistake:

The tapes similarly can be upgraded by paying off a tapesmith with mythril, should you desire to take that particular shortcut.

The tapesmith actually increases the maximum level that tapes can reach. He doesn't upgrade the tapes as a shortcut; the regular shop does. Also, it would be a good idea to either add a sentence about bosses dropping mithril or just stick in a parenthetical explanation when modifying the sentence in question, e.g. (dropped from bosses).

[quote name='eastx']Umm, are you a male who is writing reviews from the perspective of two female cartoon characters? That's truly outrageous! :lol:

Anyway, great review. I did notice a mistake:

The tapesmith actually increases the maximum level that tapes can reach. He doesn't upgrade the tapes as a shortcut; the regular shop does. Also, it would be a good idea to either add a sentence about bosses dropping mithril or just stick in a parenthetical explanation when modifying the sentence in question, e.g. (dropped from bosses).[/QUOTE]

My husband actually plays editor. :)

He doesn't always get what point I'm trying to get to sometimes so it's easier for me to let it go than argue with him all night about it.

After I posted it, I realize I left out a couple things that should have been mentioned. Like how it's only for the PSN and XBLA. Not a physical disc copy.

[quote name='eastx']Nothing that can't be fixed, Rally.

Anyway, I'll follow up with my Double Dragon: Neon review. See what a devout Double Dragon fan thinks of this latest entry! :)[/QUOTE]

I did sneak back and made a small change or two. ;)

Nice review. You added a lot of stuff I wanted to but forgot. I need to make better notes when I play a game.

[quote name='eastx']Double Dragon Neon will get an online multiplayer patch within the next few months. Read the thread, it's good for ya!

And nope, that sliding level isn't the last level.[/QUOTE]

I knew it was getting patched for online before I played the game. Just saying that it should have been a prerequisite prior to launch.

Sometimes things aren't ready. Should they just not publish the game and miss their difficult to get release slot? Many of us are enjoying the game right now, so I says no.

Forgot to post this before, but here's an article I wrote on Japanese Double Dragon games you guys might find interesting.

bread's done
Back