XBLA - Dust: An Elysian Tale - 1200 Points - Now available & very sweet!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]Cg81GcutanQ[/youtube]

Dust is an amazing Metroidvania game that comes from one single developer, plus a bunch of sound people and professional voice actors like Frank Welker.

It's also the best game I've played this year. Great, fully voiced acted story (skippable if you're in a hurry), huge world, absolutely beautiful backgrounds, and deep combat. Lots of abilities to discover and unlock new areas with, a good crafting system, and deep, combolicious combat.

f you like the genre, you're quite likely to enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely is pretty!

Wrote a guide for the 'That's More Like It' Achievement - getting a 1,000 hit combo.

[youtube]gv-64tUF4cA[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it's extremely smooth. It's got that old-school Konami/Treasure effect in which bodies are made up of multiple joints rather than a single hand-drawn sprite. Sometimes that comes across as cheap (like in Flash videos), but it works well here. Especially since one guy had to make all the different characters, etc!

Blue Bomber Achievement:

[youtube]SfnK4iTYg3o[/youtube]

Really looking forward to this one... Though it will likely go into the backlog when it comes out as I'm still trying* to get through Darksiders for the release of Darksiders II, which is now only a day away.

* Life getting in the way not a dislike of the game...

Anyhow, Eastx, I assume you'll be doing a review for it and/or are just waiting for the embargo to lift? :)

[quote name='eastx']Dust is an amazing Metroidvania game that comes from one single developer.[/QUOTE]I don't think you worded that quite how you wanted too... Most games come from a single developer and not a development team that, for all intents and purposes, consist of one man. :)

Well, an individual computer programmer can be called a software developer. But yes, I could have been more specific.

My review should go up on Wednesday if all goes according to plan. I'm just trying to finish the game to 100% before I write it up. Will post when it's ready. :)

the amazing part is this title was basically by one man (who also had help from an audio guy). he wasn't even a programmer by trade and had to learn to build his dream. kind of puts to shame much larger teams or other indie efforts like Fez.

I think what impresses me the most is the graphical style, that being of hand drawn animation, and the fact it looks to be so smooth in motion.
Other 2D video game animators who seek to emulate this look should shut the fuck up and take notice of what "Dust" did and ask this guy question after question. We know they can do it with "Ni No Kuni" but we don't know if these developers have an idea of how to do it on a 2D plane.

Wait. This is one dude putting this together? That's mighty impressive. This one has been far off on my periphery, but I trust EastX's opinion. I was going to wait and get it on sale, but I feel like we should support the little guys when they do quality work like this.

No need to wait for a sale this game is worth full price! If it was called Sonic or Rayman it would've been on a disc instead of DLC.

I dropped 3.5 hours on it already and only 25% done. Have spent some time grinding EXP and trying to up my kill chains but their is a lot of greatness to be had and you will replay challenge levels and early levels once you unlock new abilities.

Also if anyone is interested the guy who made the game is a active poster on the neogaf forums. Look for "Noogy" in the Dust thread.

this game is amazing! being CAG, it kind of hurts to pay full price but it's worth it. and when a guy puts in the kind of detail and effort into such a complete package, it's worth it to reward him for a great job.

Picked this up after playing the demo and I really, really like it. I can see how it's been likened to Muramasa but for my money this is better.

Kind of makes you wonder, basically one guy (or two) is/are able to put such a fantastic looking 2-d game
and here we have freaking Konami saying Castlevania 2-d HD would take ton of effort and resources, that's why HOD was basically a low-res game (fundamentals) released on XBLA.
Take notice Konami.

Played through the trial and unlocked the game when I beat the mini boss and got the achievement. Got to the end of the trial and it said unlock the game now! WTF. Start a new game and it's almost similar to what I've already done and so I play for a while thinking nothing of it. Check today and that achievement that was supposed to pop is nowherest to bee seen!? Liking the game, funny that my ears spotted Tara Strong's voice almost instantly.

Played some more and I'm almost ready to declare this as my favorite XBLA game. It's just so much fun, and the production values are great.

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']Kind of makes you wonder, basically one guy (or two) is/are able to put such a fantastic looking 2-d game
and here we have freaking Konami saying Castlevania 2-d HD would take ton of effort and resources, that's why HOD was basically a low-res game (fundamentals) released on XBLA.
Take notice Konami.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that, hell let Arc System Works do the gfx, they did a good job on Hard Corp Uprising.

I think Konami just doesn't care about their classic titles, otherwise why bother releasing the WiiWare remakes on a system no one is going to buy them on... ( I got CV and Rondo) when they would have been a better fit on PSN and XBL. Seriously.

When done right they get some good products out of it, Gradius V anyone? HC: Uprising (should have had Contra in it for name recognition though, it was virtually ignored at E3 when they showed it), hell do it right and people will buy it.

I played through the demo twice and I basically like it (if not love it), but the one thing that is really killing me is Fidget. I get that she is supposed to be annoying, but that doesn't stop her from being incredibly annoying. Pretty much kills the game for me. Even just in the demo her voice and such was obnoxious. I can't imagine suffering through that for an entire game.

Still loving the game i'm at 55% complete I think it said at last save, was the 80's for combo chains overall as well but I completely gave that up after seeing the top guys was still 4 times higher than mine. Honestly though I completely skip all the chatter, i'm bored with that but love the whole platforming parts of it. I just look back at the quest list and see what needs done.

Highly recommend though.

[quote name='natureboy46']Played some more and I'm almost ready to declare this as my favorite XBLA game. It's just so much fun, and the production values are great.[/QUOTE]

Been playing this of late, I think I got it on sale in December, but hell knowing my backlog I could have gotten it week of release to support the guy and just never got to it...

Anyhow, I completely agree with you... This game should have easily won Xbox Downloadable Game of the Year over The Walking Dead. Don't get me wrong, TWD is good but its general lack of polish seriously hurts it when you compare the size of the teams involved. The game with one working on everything should not be more polished than a game with a team behind it... Yet it is.

So, I'm like 60% through, and I got a question... Its not really a story question or any sort of spoiler related but just to be safe I spoiler it.

So, I've rescued Super Meat Boy and two ducks so far from padlocked cages... anyhow, I know who SMB is, obviously. but who the hell are the ducks suppose to be...?

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']

So, I'm like 60% through, and I got a question... Its not really a story question or any sort of spoiler related but just to be safe I spoiler it.

So, I've rescued Super Meat Boy and two ducks so far from padlocked cages... anyhow, I know who SMB is, obviously. but who the hell are the ducks suppose to be...?
[/QUOTE]

The music is by Hyperduck SoundWorks and that's supposed to be them.

[quote name='bs000']The music is by Hyperduck SoundWorks and that's supposed to be them.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks! I was beginning to doubt my video game knowledge as I was drawing a blank in regards to them... :D

I've been playing through this on tough, I'm stuck on I think the last boss.
Anyway game is very dope, the music is dope, and I'm really enjoying it

Okay, I'm getting close to the end... (I've been playing three other games will playing this... Hence my slow progress.)

In fact the game prompts me so... Saying use the teleportation device if I have anything else I want/need to do... So if I continue on will I be unable to do anything else after beating the game or is it just a temporary lock until I do finish the game?

There is no post game. After the final boss, you can load up a previous save which starts you a couple of rooms before the boss.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Been playing this of late, I think I got it on sale in December, but hell knowing my backlog I could have gotten it week of release to support the guy and just never got to it...

Anyhow, I completely agree with you... This game should have easily won Xbox Downloadable Game of the Year over The Walking Dead. Don't get me wrong, TWD is good but its general lack of polish seriously hurts it when you compare the size of the teams involved. The game with one working on everything should not be more polished than a game with a team behind it... Yet it is.

[/QUOTE]

Not only my Xbox downloadable game of the year, not only my 360 game of the year..but this was my 2012 GOTY, period.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Not only my Xbox downloadable game of the year, not only my 360 game of the year..but this was my 2012 GOTY, period.[/QUOTE]

Just finished it, and by finishing it I mean 117%, I can say it is one of the best games on XBLA... Not sure if its the best. Also I'm not even sure if it was the best last year as Mark of the Ninja was amazing too... but its real close.

The only thing that really holds it back any is/was the mid section of the game... It sort of lost me, four house/four items, just seemed like padding to me... and maybe more importantly I didn't really like how the "wall climbing" ability was implemented... Not being able to attack or more irksome not being able to slowly ascend made for some really tedious jumping sequences.

Anyhow, we are talking about real minor stuff here... I cannot recommend the game enough. Everyone should buy/play it.

(Not sure what I'll do next.. Maybe I'll go after my next XBLA greatest sin next and finish Shadow Complex.)

bread's done
Back