XBLA - Gyromancer - 11/18 - 1200 pts

fart_bubble

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/09/square_enixs_gyromancer_their.php#comments

Saturday, September 12, 2009
XBLA: Square Enix's Gyromancer - Their Take On Puzzle Quest?
gyromancerrating.png

In a recent update to the ESRB games rating list, a new Square-Enix title called Gyromancer appeared, in what seems to be a new downloadable title coming to the Xbox Live Arcade and PC.

Gyromancer is described as a puzzle game where you play a Mage who is tracking down rebels responsible for murdering the royal family. The combat involves the manipulation of colored crystals much in the way of a Bejeweled or Puzzle Quest game which when matched together create "attack moves" that take a hit from the enemy's health meter.

The game received a Teen rating for red blood splatter and slashes across the screen, so this sounds nothing like a Final Fantasy mage at all.

Hopefully we'll hear about this soon - I'd love to see a Japanese take on the Puzzle RPG formula.

could be interesting

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='musha666']This should get rid of that nasty taste left by the ever disappointing Galactrix.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Galactrix. It should have been so much more. Taking the fantasy/role-playing world and covering it in a futuristic sheen is not always the best answer.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Ugh. Galactrix. It should have been so much more. Taking the fantasy/role-playing world and covering it in a futuristic sheen is not always the best answer.[/QUOTE]

*Coughmasseffectcough*

Anyhow, I'm surprised at how much this looks exactly like puzzle quest. I mean there are clones, and then there is this. Regardless, I'll probably pick it up. Puzzle Quest was aces.

kinda excited about this after seeing the trailer. I love puzzle and RPG, so great combo for me.

thank god for demo for every 360 arcade games before i buy.

[quote name='Spoon_si']thank god for demo for every 360 arcade games before i buy.[/QUOTE]

Being a new 360 owner and habitually a Nintendo-girl, I LOVE the ability to try a game before I buy. Nintendo will have to do this with their next console.

I wanted to get this but this is what killed it

Update: Gyromancer will sell for 1200 Microsoft Points / $15, a representative of publisher-developer Square Enix has confirmed with Shacknews.

1200 points fuck YOU ENIX

damn i love bejewelled 2 on my iphone...
damn i love puzzle quest on my 360...

I want this game baaaaad.....but i will wait for a sale or price drop.

While I would have liked 800, if it's a Pop-Squeenix Version of PQ, you can't at all say it's over-priced. Puzzle Quest was a great 20 and 30 dollar game, long before it became a great DLC game.

I'll definitely be checking out the demo before I blind buy (I always do this, however), but no hype lost due to pricing here.

[quote name='Poor2More']Done, Im buying it tomorrow, original puzzle quest was a fucken blast[/QUOTE]

The wife and I spent so much time on Puzzle Quest, that we pretty much HAVE to buy this.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='utopianmachine']According to the website, you can access this map pack around the middle part of the game. You can just judge at that point if you like the game enough to warranty the add-on.[/QUOTE]

Such a good, sensible way to look at it!

The game is fun, the music is great (By Tsuyoshi Sekito, for those who care), it loads fast and plays well. It seems like there's enough game there, of solid polish, to be worth the price, it ultimately comes down to: is this your kind of game?

I'll be buying it, seems like the perfect casual RPG to play. DLC doesn't worry me much (3 maps in this game sound like they could be pretty sizeable), but I do want to hear some impressions of it.

Just finished playing the demo a little bit ago, and I enjoyed it. The game seems big, with lots of battles to enjoy. The graphics are polished. It all has a very Puzzle Quest-y feel about it, but that's not a bad thing.

I've only got 800 points right now, though. I really didn't think it'd be more than that...

Damn, it is puzzle quest. I'll play the demo and probably like it, but I'm not paying 1200 for it unless I get some free points.

I might get this. I feel like I've hit a wall in Peggle and I need another quick puzzle game fix on my 360. I might get a chance to try the demo today. We'll see.

Why is it that you can only rotate the pieces clockwise? They should have made so that you can be able to do counter clockwise as well...unless I don't know the button for it. Overall, seems like a cool puzzle quest like clone game.

[quote name='kilatofu']Why is it that you can only rotate the pieces clockwise? They should have made so that you can be able to do counter clockwise as well...unless I don't know the button for it. Overall, seems like a cool puzzle quest like clone game.[/QUOTE]

because its Bejeweled Twist

I wish you could just move pieces one at a time, like in regular Bejeweled. With this Bejeweled Twist formula, you can't get to pieces in the corner...

[quote name='kilatofu']Why is it that you can only rotate the pieces clockwise? They should have made so that you can be able to do counter clockwise as well...unless I don't know the button for it. Overall, seems like a cool puzzle quest like clone game.[/QUOTE]

There is an item you can use to turn it counter clockwise. Pres Y I think it is and you have your items on the left.

This game is great so far, not sure why people complain about the price, PQ was 1200 pts as well when it came out. This is the same sort of game. The DLC out the same day is a little annoying though.

[quote name='BREVITY']Is this game coming to anything else? I would be up for it on DS or PC even.[/QUOTE]
it's on steam, infact that's where I got my copy.

the game is ok, but it feels more like a skin for bejeweled twist than a copy of puzzle quest.

Perhaps I'm just not getting the hang of this, but the game seems pretty challenging to me. I'm having to dart into the Daemonwood map, fight a bit, then scurry out to heal. I know that some monsters are stronger against others, but I'm not sure there's really much else I can do. Is there anything I can do to block the baddy from getting his gems on the board? Is it the fewer turns I make which don't result in a match, the fewer gems the bad guy places?

Tips would be good. I can't imagine the game is as difficult as I'm experiencing.

I kind of liked the demo since it was much more different than I was expecting. The real-time aspect was kind of cool and at least makes fights a lot shorter than they are in PQ. The bit of story in the demo was not good at all, as it seems to be convoluted. I wouldn't spend the $15 based on the demo since I'm still working my way through the two PQ games.

Meh, I played it and for some reason I just don't like it as much as puzzle quest. I don't think I'll be getting it even if it drops to 800.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Perhaps I'm just not getting the hang of this, but the game seems pretty challenging to me. I'm having to dart into the Daemonwood map, fight a bit, then scurry out to heal. I know that some monsters are stronger against others, but I'm not sure there's really much else I can do. Is there anything I can do to block the baddy from getting his gems on the board? Is it the fewer turns I make which don't result in a match, the fewer gems the bad guy places?

Tips would be good. I can't imagine the game is as difficult as I'm experiencing.[/QUOTE]

nothing prevents the enemies from putting gems on the board, but if you match those gems up you won't get hit.

[quote name='SpazX']Meh, I played it and for some reason I just don't like it as much as puzzle quest.[/QUOTE]

I had to get over that. This is as close as it gets to Puzzle Quest, and no, Puzzle Quest Galactrix is not second place there.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Demo doesn't save your game, so if you play through it, then unlock, you gotta play through it again. Annoying.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, yea I was like what, no option to continue?! Gah. This is just like Bejeweled Twist but has an awesome rpg feel to it and gameplay abilities. Oh and I love Bejeweled Twist btw.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I had to get over that. This is as close as it gets to Puzzle Quest, and no, Puzzle Quest Galactrix is not second place there.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind they could be working on an urban vampire/werewolf puzzle quest. :) It was mentioned once anyway:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/03_04_09_09_40AM.htm

Wife and I are going to check the demo tonight and decide. I'm hearing a lot of mixed stuff here.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Keep in mind they could be working on an urban vampire/werewolf puzzle quest. :) It was mentioned once anyway:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/03_04_09_09_40AM.htm[/QUOTE]

With all the vampire/werewolf hype right now, I'm kinda surprised there aren't any video games out to suck up the fans. But I guess since games are typically developed way in advance, gaming just hasn't caught up with the Twilight infatuation. ;)

WOW thanks for the heads up Bejeweled Twist is my wife and I's fave bejeweled game! We have sunk so many hours into it its insane. I am super excited now!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I kind of liked the demo since it was much more different than I was expecting. The real-time aspect was kind of cool and at least makes fights a lot shorter than they are in PQ.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, this bit of your post, FristyTanuki, kept running through my head last night. The game most definitely is not in real-time. Everything is turn-based, including your enemy's attack. I'm rather a fan of this element. Turn-based helps keep the stress down for me.

[quote name='BREVITY']WOW thanks for the heads up Bejeweled Twist is my wife and I's fave bejeweled game! We have sunk so many hours into it its insane. I am super excited now![/QUOTE]

You know, at first I didn't like the Twist formula. It took me a little bit to wrap my head around it, and I kept dying in battle. But now, I'm doing just fine. I so love the RPG element. Off to the Summoner's Den to replace my Red Wyrm. Capping out at level 7 just won't do it! ;)

[quote name='fart_bubble']not as deep and not as long as PQ but I'm really digging the game[/QUOTE]

I think it can be, depending on how you play. If you explore each level to its fullest, I think it could be quite deep. It appears that each stage has 10 awards, as there is an achievement for getting 120 awards. My guess is there are 12 stages. Not to mention a bonus three more you can download, if you like the game enough.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think it can be, depending on how you play. If you explore each level to its fullest, I think it could be quite deep. It appears that each stage has 10 awards, as there is an achievement for getting 120 awards. My guess is there are 12 stages. Not to mention a bonus three more you can download, if you like the game enough.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten through the first 3 stages with all of the awards and it took me 4 hours. It lists 13 stages though I would expect one to just be the final battle.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Oh, I would love for someone to tell me if there is a way to scroll and look at the whole map, because I sure can't figure it out.[/QUOTE]

you can't scroll it but hit a on the map and it gives you a bigger picture of the area

[quote name='fart_bubble']I've gotten through the first 3 stages with all of the awards and it took me 4 hours. It lists 13 stages though I would expect one to just be the final battle.

you can't scroll it but hit a on the map and it gives you a bigger picture of the area[/QUOTE]

Man, I just must not be that good at the game, because I'm sure not getting those kind of scores. In order to get Rank B and Rank A, I would have to spend a lot more time. Any tricks to getting higher scores? Have you executed a gyro? And what the heck are they, anyway?

Thanks for the tip about the map. I'll try it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Man, I just must not be that good at the game, because I'm sure not getting those kind of scores. In order to get Rank B and Rank A, I would have to spend a lot more time. Any tricks to getting higher scores? Have you executed a gyro? And what the heck are they, anyway?[/QUOTE]

no real trick except for coming back to the area after you've leveled up a bit and then walking back and forth in front of a pit and kill the monsters that come out. Takes a bit of time

No idea what the gyro is

I tried a little bit of the game and I'd agree that it's not as deep as puzzle quest. Having the skills be used passively instead of choosing the right time to use them takes a lot of strategy out of the game. Still it is enjoyable, faster paced puzzle RPG that's easy to kill time with. The production values are great.

Zoo Games should have released Puzzle Kingdoms on Xbox Live. The production values sucked, but it was a fun Puzzle Quest game made by the same people. Better than Galactrix.

[quote name='fart_bubble']no real trick except for coming back to the area after you've leveled up a bit and then walking back and forth in front of a pit and kill the monsters that come out. Takes a bit of time

No idea what the gyro is[/QUOTE]

So, here's a question... Does the high score start over every time you leave a level? That would make more sense, I think.

I think a gyro may be if you can make the gyro circle down in the bottom left light up. This seems to get fuller the more matches you make without having to move any pieces which don't make matches. The fullest I've got this meter is to 3.

[quote name='utopianmachine']So, here's a question... Does the high score start over every time you leave a level? That would make more sense, I think.

I think a gyro may be if you can make the gyro circle down in the bottom left light up. This seems to get fuller the more matches you make without having to move any pieces which don't make matches. The fullest I've got this meter is to 3.[/QUOTE]

yeah, the score resets every time you enter and leave.

the higher the number in the circle, the faster it is to build up your attacks. I haven't been able to get it to go over 3 either.

bread's done
Back