XBLA - Lode Runner - 800 poi...oh wait, Back to 1200 points..what...

Spades22

CAGiversary!
Game got an 8.0 from IGN and an 8.8 from TeamXbox. Apparently it's being released tomorrow...

From IGN:
This is one of those classic franchises that are trotted out with every new generation, but Southend put the effort in to make this a really nice package for fans. All the bases are covered: single-player missions, competitive and cooperative multiplayer, puzzle stages, survival mode, and an extensive level editor. Southend can't take credit for the enduring appeal of Lode Runner, but it is emerging as one of the most able developers working on XBLA thanks to the care it puts into its projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tired of $15 XBLA games. It was ok for Braid and Castle Crashers I guess, but then they wanted it for The Maw and Banjo and now Lode Runner?

800 and day one; 1200 and I wont until it goes to a deal of the week. Bastards. Everything recently has been 400 overpriced.

Maw was 800 Points.
Outrun was 800 Points.
Dishwasher was also 800 points.

At least with all the stages, modes, and level editor (with community sharing) that this game offers, it sounds worthy of 1200 points. Realistically, if this game cost less, it either A> Wouldn't even have been created, or B> Wouldn't have The level creator, or Co-Op/Multi-player modes would be missing.

Really, I've probably got more NEWLY-MADE, Below-$20 games this generation, of actual worth, than even in the the PS2 or PS1 days.

Beyond the Price... Anyone looking forward to the Game? I have to say, this looks so much like what I wish N+ was... I hated the fact that THAT game gave me a character who was pretty much worthless. He couldn't attack, he couldn't effect his environment... to me, that made the game play dull. Even Pac-Man could FIGHT BACK! Eesh!

I've never been into Lode Runner, but I have tried out a few of the classics in anticipation of this game, and I have to say I like what I see. Looks like a game I would have loved to play alongside mega-marathons of Bomberman! I look forward to the Co-Op and stage creator most of all. Personally, concerning the 4 player play and various online modes... I don't really know how I feel about them until I get to try it out.

I wonder if such modes will feel better than the main game itself, or just feel like nice bonuses atop the 220 stages the Journey mode offers...

And the continuation of people making excuses for overpriced games continues. I can get a perfectly good game of Lode Runner for $5 on another platform.

This is one of those classic franchises that are trotted out with every new generation,

really? I must have missed it...'cause I remember the big nostalgia burst I had when they announced this for the 360 and thought it was so cool that they were reviving the Apple 2e game.

[quote name='KingBroly']And the continuation of people making excuses for overpriced games continues. I can get a perfectly good game of Lode Runner for $5 on another platform.[/quote]

:applause: Congratulations! But that's not the point.

In reality, the quality of XBLA games is somewhat equal to their price. As much as everyone might enjoy Geometry Wars 1 or 2, it looks like a game made (very well) on a small budget. Puzzle Quest 1 has the volume of gameplay and graphic quality to go for full price on the DS, PSP, or Computer, but coming out to live late, it was cheaper (and still worth every penny.) Galactix came out VERY close to the other releases on other platforms, and had higher resolution portraits then the old game, most likely saying "we spent more money making this!". In elements of presentation, it looks like a high quality edition of puzzle quest. You know, like something that might have been more expensive to develop, and that still hasn't recouped as much money from production as the original PQ did by the time it was on our beloved DL service.

I just find it sad, because it's this kind of mentality, this "Old stuff of lesser quality and resources cost cheap, so why doesn't new stuff as well!" that is the exact reason why Microsoft is wary of publishers giving away stuff on Live.

It's the same reason Strategy guide makers would rather Destroy Pennied out items, rather than sell them for a penny.

People don't want the worth of their work diminished by either A> Companies with more money, who can OVER produce for small profit, or B> older products bringing down the value of new stuff, in the eyes of the consumer.

A smaller company makes 1 or 2 games a year, sells them for a bit higher price than, say, Capcom, who makes (publishes) like 3 or 5 arcade releases in the same time frame, and everyone expects the smaller devs to live up to what Capcom could dish out from the cheap price. Heck, "Flock!" suggest that even Capcom is having a hard time offering larger, more developed games, at the price points of the past.

But I guess it's to be expected. This site is "Cheap Ass" first, and "Gamer" second. I've always been much more of a Gamer, and less of a "Cheap Ass". (I never Imported much, but that's SO much more expensive than these DLC situations, y'know?) I know that, in the end, if I get weeks, months, or years of fun out of a game, that is going to stay with me much longer, than if a game cost 10 or 15 dollars. I'd just like to hear more talk about the quality and style of the game, than the same price related comments OVER AND OVER in EVERY arcade game thread.

And even when the games ARE cheap, there are STILL price complaints! IT never ends! :cry:

(And I have to say, I find it very odd that there isn't as Much POSITIVE talk about the Good, Cheap Community games, as there is Negative Talk about the Expensive (and oftentimes still good) Arcade games, here on CAG. At least that'd be... you know... productive.)

(And yes, this is a bit of a Rant, but I hate to see potentially good games, that all offer demos, even, getting buried under pages of negative stigma, before they even get a chance to reach the public.)

I think you're missing the point. This game, no matter how much crap you throw in it, ain't worth $15, and you're fooling yourselves if you think otherwise. If you want to pay $15, just go ahead and pay $70 for all of Hasbro Family Game Night.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think you're missing the point. This game, no matter how much crap you throw in it, ain't worth $15, and you're fooling yourselves if you think otherwise. If you want to pay $15, just go ahead and pay $70 for all of Hasbro Family Game Night.[/quote]

Hmmm, I think that's a bit of an overblown comparison, but to each their own! I look forward to the opinions of those who imported Lode Runner: The Legend Returns on Saturn, or got said game on Computer, or those who loved Lode Runner on N64, or the Japanese-only (till Wii VC) Battle Lode Runner on TG-16.

It's those people who know the games inside out, who built 100s or 1000s of stages with previous versions, whose opinions will be truly worth listening to.

MAJOR EDIT: As of 3:54 AM, Lode Runner is UP, it's 73 Megs, and it's 800 Points! So... errr.... Yeah. Figure that out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I've loved various incarnations of Lode Runner over the years and thought this would be a sure fire purchase for me, but after playing one round in the demo I've had enough. Who's bright idea was it to model the board with crappy 3d graphics and then have the game board randomly move around while you are playing? Started annoying the crap out of me within the first game. Disappointing.

Only the Mechanical Stage design has randomly moving blocks. It's the gimmick for that stage design.

Other Stage types have Heated blocks you can't stand on (Volcanic Designs) and Blocks that once you shoot one, multiples disappear (The Ice blocks). There are also Stalagmites, and you even get bombs. It's all covered in the intro tutorials. (And Completing the Tutorials gives you 1 of 2 unlockable gamer pictures.)

I like the 3d. The characters have nice little extra animations (If you find a hidden enemy in a block, he interweaves his fingers and stretches, for example), which is the kind of charm I find way too many modern games glossing over. It's not drastically offensive like Bomberman Act Zero!

The Music is an oldschooly throwback, but I wish it was a bit more instrumental. Same thing with Rtype Dimensions (Also from Tozai): You polish the artwork, but leave the music a bit TOO retro.

The game so far (I beat the first set of stages) feels better balanced to me than what I've played (very limited) of old Lode Runners. The old ones felt like their first 2 or 3 stages where something I shouldn't be experiencing till at least stage 9 or 10. This one feels like it's giving me the stage progression I EXPECT from video games, where they teach you everything at a nice pace, especially when they wanna fill in over 100 stages. Normally, those types can afford for the first 10 stages to be kinda simple. Old school LR didn't seem to be like that... but I'm personally glad this one feels that way.

No more impressions for now... I need some sleep! I look forward to REALLY getting into the game soon!

Just got home from work and I'm downloading the demo now. I almost skipped the demo altogether and just bought it straight out when I saw it was 800 points. That was a really nice surprise.

Cool 800 :D Don't have time today, but I'll pick it up tomorrow (if the demo's good) and hope the price doesn't change...

Ouch that sucks. The chances of me paying 1200 pts just dropped now...just cause of the principal of the whole thing >O

:shock:

I managed to get it when it was 800.

:shock:

I hope they don't retroactively charge me.

Ya they wouldn't charge extra if you already had it...too bad though, I won't be buying this now unless when I download the demo tomorrow the game is just the best XBLA game ever. I've never tried Lode runner...

The second my friend told me it was up (early at that, 4AM [ EST ]) and it was 800 points.. I instantly bought it. No demo, no anything.. I figured it may have been a price mistake, so I just snatched it up as quickly as possible.

Glad I did, really fun game. Level Editor is fantastic, and overall this has a ton of replay value in it. It may even be worth the full 1,200, but I'll need to play it a little more to see for sure.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']The second my friend told me it was up (early at that, 4AM [ EST ]) and it was 800 points.. I instantly bought it. No demo, no anything.. I figured it may have been a price mistake, so I just snatched it up as quickly as possible.

Glad I did, really fun game. Level Editor is fantastic, and overall this has a ton of replay value in it. It may even be worth the full 1,200, but I'll need to play it a little more to see for sure.[/quote]

yeah looks like it was a steal at 800 with all the content they packed in

Dude for some reason this really pisses me off. I was considering buying it at 1200 when that's all I knew but now that some people were able to jump on it for 800 I feel like skipping the game all together. Damn

I have fond memories playing Lode Runner on the Apple IIe 100 years ago. I figured I'd buy the game, but saw the $15 price and thought maybe not. I did my morning check of the Marketplace and saw the $10 price. I thought maybe it was a price mistake and pulled the trigger without trying the demo. I figure it's Lode Runner and $10 isn't bad.

:rofl:

What a bunch of crap.

Oh well, at least now it's 1200 points I won't have to bother even downloading the demo.

When will you learn MS???

Yeah, that's pretty silly for them to raise the price after releasing for cheap. I always think if a thing like that happens, that they should make it something like a "1 Week Sale!" or something.

Or that all Arcade games should start off Cheaper for a week or 3 days or something, in order to push a good group of people into buying, thereby increasing the community.

Really sorry for anyone who wanted it at 800 and couldn't get in time... it is quite the fun game! I've played Co Op Puzzle and Jorney with my little brother, and it really is a very well put together game.

[quote name='benjamouth']:rofl:

What a bunch of crap.

Oh well, at least now it's 1200 points I won't have to bother even downloading the demo.

When will you learn MS???[/quote]

+1, would give it a shot at 10$. pass @ 15$

[quote name='SAB-CA']

Really sorry for anyone who wanted it at 800 and couldn't get in time... it is quite the fun game! I've played Co Op Puzzle and Jorney with my little brother, and it really is a very well put together game.[/QUOTE]

I remember playing a version of lode runner back in the day too. Tried the demo this morning and I had a lot of fun. Even better (and faster) than I remember. I'll wait for amazon to have a sale or something.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah screw that, I should of queued the full game instead of the demo. Well that's one sale they lost.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Same here. I even played the demo on my lunch hour. I clicked 'buy' and it gave me the error message. They must have been in the process of fixing it when I was trying to buy.

[quote name='SAB-CA']
I just find it sad, because it's this kind of mentality, this "Old stuff of lesser quality and resources cost cheap, so why doesn't new stuff as well!" that is the exact reason why Microsoft is wary of publishers giving away stuff on Live. [/QUOTE]

That's not the point at all. It's simple. If the game is cheaper, they sell more. Just look at this thread. You have at least a dozen people that were ready to buy at $10, but instead are sitting on the sidelines. So just in this forum alone Tozai Games could have made a few hundred bucks, instead made $0. Now multiply that by a couple dozen for all the various forums around the net expressing the same sentiment. This game could have generated a few thousand in sales but instead is making zero from those people. A shame too, because the demo was pretty damn fun. So the question is, will the number of people buying at $15 make up for all the people that are now passing on it.

You can argue about the quality of the content until you are blue in the face, but the fact remains that this is DLC that is DRM'd to death and has zero trade or resale value. That's why the majority of these arcade games should be no more than $10. I don't feel that fact is taken into account on these higher priced games.

Hell you are essentially saying the same thing with your Puzzle Quest statement that Infinite Interactive hasn't made back the production cost on it yet. Why? It's $20 frikkin dollars for a game I can't resell.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah screw that, I should of queued the full game instead of the demo. Well that's one sale they lost.[/quote]

Make that 2 :bomb:

MS is probably willing to take a bit of a loss from some games to eventually set the standard XBLA game price to 1200pts....probably hoping once people accept it they'll continue to buy at the same rate as when the games sold for 800.

Well if they think the new price standard is 1200 , just think in a year or less , they'll try to make the price standard @ 1600. I used to get a lot of XBLA titles but now since there way too high when there released i'll pass!! Unless there just soooo damn good LOL . . . . Peggle anyone??

This is really terrible bait and switch. I can't believe that this mistake could be made - how many people review the price and put the content online? Probably hundreds.

For PR reasons, MS should just drop the price to 800 and reimburse those who paid 1200 so people don't get extremely angry.

I could see this being a nightmare for Major Nelson to deal with.

I'll also pass for 1200. I even regret paying the full $15+DLC for castle crashers. It was a fun game but $10 is going to be my new limit for XBLA games.

When there are full retail games out there for $20 or under it is difficult to spend $15 for a game with no trade-in and that I won't put many hours into.

ah well.

[quote name='RudyPants']This is really terrible bait and switch. I can't believe that this mistake could be made - how many people review the price and put the content online? Probably hundreds.

For PR reasons, MS should just drop the price to 800 and reimburse those who paid 1200 so people don't get extremely angry.[/quote]

I know, it seems like they have 5 people running this "Live ON button" sometimes. It's weird for them to make such mistakes, but since they DO, I'd figure they'd be smarter, and try to play off "Yeah, we MEANT to do that!" in more creative, customer-winning ways, than these stupid "Err, Duh... Higher priced Fixed, WAHOO!" kinda situations. They need some people wh can spin these situations into something to GAIN them positive PR, not turn off costomers with such practices.

[quote name='Corvin']You can argue about the quality of the content until you are blue in the face, but the fact remains that this is DLC that is DRM'd to death and has zero trade or resale value. That's why the majority of these arcade games should be no more than $10. I don't feel that fact is taken into account on these higher priced games.[/quote]

I'm sure some people do, but to quote a post from th Xbox.com Forums for this game:

[quote name='Dark Octave']How much would this same exact game cost if it was on the DS or PSP? $35 or $40? Sell it back to Gamestop and get maybe $10 for it?[/quote]

There are some people who (like me) view the basic trade in of games as a big ripoff, much below the Potential Ripoff of $10-$20 DL titles. But that's just a personal opinion. (For the record, I LOVE being able to buy a retail title Cheap, and Trade it back in for more, no problem with that, or course! Buy Low ~ Sell High!)

[quote name='Corvin']Hell you are essentially saying the same thing with your Puzzle Quest statement that Infinite Interactive hasn't made back the production cost on it yet. Why? It's $20 frikkin dollars for a game I can't resell.[/quote]

No, No, what I'm saying is for PQ1, the game made back the bulk of it's production cost on other consoles (I remember it being a suprise hit that got glowing praise from almost everyone.) Thus, when it reached us, on XBLA, it was easier to sell for a minimum, because a cheaper base price would still make a profit (And the other versions where starting to drop in stores.)Just like how game collections can charge SO LITTLE for a mass of games. These games have "paid for themselves" to their creators, dozens of times over.

Galactix hadn't reached that point (or anyway near it) by the time we got it on XBLA, and, unlike the old game, it looks like the game was made with full TVs in mind, and not just handhelds and smaller PC monitors (I'm referencing the change in size and detail quality of the character art.) Looking at the game from this standpoint, I was impressed with the "upgrades" to the game (I don't like the art as much personally, but I respect that in some ways, it was probably more expensive for them to produce), and give that, I can say, I can see why this game demands more money than PQ1.

I still think PQ1 was a fantastic value, because it truthfully did offer me more continual, memorable fun than, say, something like MK Vs DC (Or, in my case, more than Either Gears of War.) If video game value where measured in amount of enjoyment, PQ1 would have been worth much more than it's asking price. (As well as 2 possibly, but I believe to a smaller portion of people. And I can't say too much more abotu 2 personally, as I haven't got the full game either.)

There are some people that believe that (especially for them), the Downloadable games will outlast many of the "big physical retail games" of this generation, because of their adherence to the more timeless, fun styles of gameplay. Like REAL arcade games, the best of XBLA is made up of games that I would never want to trade in, because I love the fact that, for less than 20 dollars, I'm getting games in Genres that I wouldn't be, if everything was left to the FPS and "Sandbox game" crazy masses.

Lastly for this (once again) long rant, I agree with anyone that says that Digital DL games should have much MUCH more dynamic pricing structures.

We should have many more sales like on STEAM. We should have developers lowering the cost of older products when new ones come out. We should get arcade hits monthly, or at LEAST quaterly. We should have weekend specials, free AND paid for Downloadable content, and we should be able to retroactively update OLD games, in order to get hype for sequels and new products. (Imagine if The Behemoth released a new Character for castle Crashers, based on the protagonist of their next game? Would give a boost to Castle Crashers play, would make the fans remember what they loved about the game so much in the first place, and would give something new to first-time purchasers, all in one!) We should have every game that's over a year old on XBLA recieving a price drop. We should have an XBLA sale every holiday. There is a LOT XBL, PSN, and Wiiware/VC/VA could be doing to make these products and marketplaces MUCH more appealing to the everyday consumer, and I really do believe companies are sleeping on a LOT of potential for profit & customer growth.

Wow, that sucks that they raised it to 1200. I was lucky enough to see it and buy it before they changed the price, but if I hadn't, there's no way in hell I'd buy it at 1200 now.

EDIT: That's weird- the little Lode Runner symbol isn't showing up on the gamercard in my sig for some reason. Got me nervous that they'd somehow deleted it from my account for not paying the full 1200. It's still there, though.

Another XBLA game I was looking forward to that I will pass because of the price point. When I can get an amazing game (i.e. Peggle) for 800 pts, why would I settle to pay 1200... Now, I will just hope some of the titles I have been waiting for become on the list for deal of the week, become a greatest hit, or go on sale on amazon.

[quote name='ToadallyAwesome']I'll also pass for 1200. I even regret paying the full $15+DLC for castle crashers. It was a fun game but $10 is going to be my new limit for XBLA games.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm starting to think this way as well. I sort of regret paying 1200 points for Braid and Castle Crashers. I don't think I'll support the 1200 price point at all from now on.

I think it'll be $10 or less for XBLA games from now on.

[quote name='benjamouth']Yeah I'm starting to think this way as well. I sort of regret paying 1200 points for Braid and Castle Crashers. I don't think I'll support the 1200 price point at all from now on.

I think it'll be $10 or less for XBLA games from now on.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I dont really regret Castle Crashers or Puzzle Quest at higher prices but most games arent worth it.

I laughed after playing the demo for Lode Runner and seeing they want 1200 pts for this garbage. It reminds me of one of those PSX 3d rendered side scrollers, only not fun at all. Always glad when the 1200 pt games suck, saves me money.

[quote name='Spades22']MS is probably willing to take a bit of a loss from some games to eventually set the standard XBLA game price to 1200pts....probably hoping once people accept it they'll continue to buy at the same rate as when the games sold for 800.[/QUOTE]

Pavlov FTW!

bread's done
Back