XBLA - Magic: The Gathering - 800pts

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Magic: The Gathering is coming to Xbox Live Arcade.
Not much is known about it at this point, it's possible it will be like the PC version of Magic where you have to buy virtual decks and booster packs.

I loved playing Magic back in the day. I wouldn't be willing to pay for virtual cards, but if they just let us use cards for free, and $5-10 for entire expansion packs I would definitely buy this.

The pc version charges full retail price for packs of virtual cards. If this version follows that model they can kiss my ass.

Im an old mtg player from way back and would love to get into this, but the $3+ for a pack of non existent cards always put me off to the pc version.

[quote name='Puffa469']The pc version charges full retail price for packs of virtual cards. If this version follows that model they can kiss my ass.

Im an old mtg player from way back and would love to get into this, but the $3+ for a pack of non existent cards always put me off to the pc version.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more. This is exactly why I never got into the PC version either.

I'll be really interested to hear how they'll be handling it on XBLA, though.

As long as they don't try to charge for virtual packs, I'm five kinds of down.

What they should do is include a Key in each real world pack that you buy, containing the data for the cards inside the pack. That I wouldn't mind at all.

I haven't played magic in forever, but if they do this right ill be all over it. This is the perfect game for live.

Side note - any one remember the Pokemon trading card game for the gbc, I loved that trading card game.

Hopefully it's like the old PC game, played that one something fierce.

As far as MTG:Online goes, I thought you could trade in and get actual copies of the card? Or did they nix that idea, I know it was talked about being done while it was still in beta at least.

[quote name='Logain8955']As long as they don't try to charge for virtual packs, I'm five kinds of down.

What they should do is include a Key in each real world pack that you buy, containing the data for the cards inside the pack. That I wouldn't mind at all.[/quote]

Thats a great idea. At least then I have the actual cards and can sell them or trade them if I want.

Ehh... I'd rather not spend hours arguing about ambiguously worded cards with kids who haven't hit puberty yet :)

[quote name='getmyrunon']Ehh... I'd rather not spend hours arguing about ambiguously worded cards with kids who haven't hit puberty yet :)[/quote]

well isnt the whole point of an online version the rules clarification? If the game engine decides what does what, theres no more arguing.

[quote name='gamefan1686']
Side note - any one remember the Pokemon trading card game for the gbc, I loved that trading card game.[/quote]
That was a great game. I would love to see Nintendo make a sequel on the DS. It would be a day one purchase for me, even though I haven't played the Pokemon TCG in years.

I've never even touched a Magic card, or know how to play -- but for whatever reason, this interests me. Whether or not I end up buying it all depends how much they decide to rape you with the prices on stuff (I won't be spending much money to buy new cards and whatnot).

I would pay per pack even, but I don't want to get raped here. I'd pay like $5 for a starter, and maybe like $1.50 for a booster. Not paying full price, even if I really want this.

800 points should include the game and include all the editions up to this year. But that is very unlikely...so if they want my business, none of this pack crap. Offer me the entire edition for 100 points OR allow me to buy randomized decks from a specific edition for 50 points. Either way, i might actually pick this up, liked playing this casually back in the day.

I played mtg a lot back when it first came out. Which I'd saved my cards, probably worth something now. Gave up on it for price reasons.

However, if anyone likes these types of games, there is a brand new card game that is NOT a CCG called Race for the Galaxy that has very CCG like mechanics that is a blast. It has currently rocketed to number 19 on board game geek, of best games of all time.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Magic: The Gathering is coming to Xbox Live Arcade.
Not much is known about it at this point, it's possible it will be like the PC version of Magic where you have to buy virtual decks and booster packs.

I loved playing Magic back in the day. I wouldn't be willing to pay for virtual cards, but if they just let us use cards for free, and $5-10 for entire expansion packs I would definitely buy this.[/quote]

Agreed entirely.

[quote name='Kaijufan']That was a great game. I would love to see Nintendo make a sequel on the DS. It would be a day one purchase for me, even though I haven't played the Pokemon TCG in years.[/quote]

I loved Pokemon TCG on GBC. I still play it here and there. That was such a fun game. It really would be great if they made a sequel to it, to Snap, etc.

here's to hoping it's like the original magic game on the pc (the rpg-ish one in sarandar). I still have that game somewhere, but I think it only works on windows 98. 8[

I really hope this is done right, and sells well. I really think there's a place for CCGs on the consoles (like Culdcept Saga), but they haven't taken off yet without a mainstream release like this, at least on the 360.

Very interesting. Could see myself getting it but then again DLC packs of cards are going to cost a bunch of microsoft points. Hopefully they'll have a option to turn off DLC packs when u battle online.

I can't wait at all. The old PC version is incompatible with Windows XP, so I need a magic fix. I just with it was out for DS or PSP. I played yugioh for months on end on my GBA at work.

[quote name='gamefan1686']I haven't played magic in forever, but if they do this right ill be all over it. This is the perfect game for live.

Side note - any one remember the Pokemon trading card game for the gbc, I loved that trading card game.[/quote] yeah if they do this right i'm all kinds of in. i used to love that pokemon trading card game for gbc. I hope they make it for ds

[quote name='Puffa469']The pc version charges full retail price for packs of virtual cards. If this version follows that model they can kiss my ass.

Im an old mtg player from way back and would love to get into this, but the $3+ for a pack of non existent cards always put me off to the pc version.[/quote]

I agree!

[quote name='JadedJedi']I can't wait at all. The old PC version is incompatible with Windows XP, so I need a magic fix. I just with it was out for DS or PSP. I played yugioh for months on end on my GBA at work.[/quote]
If you want to play the old PC version and still have a Windows 98 disk just download this program and you can run Windows 98 in a virtual machine on your computer.
I've used it to run Windows Server 2000, 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, and several Linux distributions. It works great.

I played the beta of MtG: Online for the PC years ago, and they should model the XBLA version similar to the beta, where you could simply buy as many boosters as you desired for free. A straight-up game with no cash-grabbing with numerous booster packs would be awesome.

On a related note, I found a bunch of old Rare's(the actually mtg cards) from many editions pre 7th edition; do these have any value; if so where can I get the most for them?

[quote name='NTolerance']This comes out on Wednesday. Any news on whether all cards are included with the game or is it microtransacation madness?[/QUOTE]
Woah where did you find the release date?

Between this and Ghostbusters... :whee:

From what I've read it's only one of 8 preconstructed decks. I'm sure DLC will feature more decks after that.

Seen,
I would go on Wizards forums or some other Magic forum and ask. I don't play Magic so I have no idea.

[quote name='MSUHitman']From what I've read it's only one of 8 preconstructed decks.[/QUOTE]

It gives you 17 slots in the pre-constructed decks to customize it but for the most part, you will still be seeing the same decks.

I think there are somewhere around 280 cards total. It's by no means a replacement for the paper game or Magic Online on PC but it should still be fun.

Plus for the paper players, it'll come with a code to go to Wizards' site to redeem and get a free promo Garruk card. You could even probably sell the card for at least $5 as the card is a popular one that sees a lot of play.

[quote name='MSUHitman']From what I've read it's only one of 8 preconstructed decks. I'm sure DLC will feature more decks after that.

Seen,
I would go on Wizards forums or some other Magic forum and ask. I don't play Magic so I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

They fail to realize that there's a market of people such as myself that casually played Magic 15 years ago and this game is worth exactly $10 to them, nothing more.

Ya, that's basically it. I'm not looking to get really really into Magic. If I were, I'd you know... play it.

I'm looking for a fun casual experience that I can sit down and play after work and play hopefully fairly quickly. I'd certainly buy DLC if they include new decks, new sets of cards, or cool options like the option to really build whatever deck you want.

Somehow I hope that if this does well that it'll convince companies to release other TCGs or CCGs on XBLA or even WiiWare/PSN. Unfortunately givin the status of most of the other "major" games it doesn't seem hopeful:

Vs. Series = On Life Support
Duel Masters = US support discontinued by Wizards
Yugioh = Konami focused on Nintnedo systems
Pokemon TCG = Obvious
Pirates = On Life Support (already dead?)
Heroclix = unsure
DBZ (2nd version) = On Life Support (already dead?)

About the only ones that have even a possible chance are Naruto and WoW (either one).

man preconstructed decks...I havnt played magic in like 8 years but I would SO be down for a legit one like the PC one that doesn't charge the same price for virtual packs.

Ohwell guess i will keep waiting. Maybe in another 5 years.

Magic the Gathering was what I did during lunch back in high school with my friends lol. Sold most of my cards but have some just so I hopefully can make some money in 50 years haha. The Magic the Gathering game published by Microprose in 97 for the PC was the best. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_video_games) Unfortunately it runs extremely fast so the adventure mode is unplayable, duel after duel and only a few inches lol. I'm so down for an XBLA version.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back