XBLA: Meteos Wars - 800 pts - 12/10

deadite76

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Q Entertainment is bringing an utterly unstylistic version of its two-times-released (well, maybe we shouldn't count the Disnied version) DS puzzler, Meteos, to Xbox Live Arcade. Dubbed, Meteos Wars, the console port will include a new multiplayer experience. The game will feature a two-player versus mode where each player has a gauge that fills as sets of blocks are launched and enemy attacks are thwarted. Filling the gauge unlocks a special attack that predictably spells disaster for the opposing player.

Meteos Wars will also include a few added extras, like customizable characters. It's due in Japan this October, but has yet to be confirmed for release elsewhere. Wouldn't this be the perfect tie-on for that rumored motion controller...? (We're just sayin'.)

Update: Q Entertainment just shot us word confirming Meteos Wars for US release in October, priced at 800 ($10). Check out first screenshots of the game in our gallery below.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/27/meteos-wars-to-shower-xbla-japan/

meteos-wars-490w.jpg

Loved the original on DS so I'll definitely give the demo a try.

[quote name='lilboo']This could be fun, but IMO the use of the touch screen is what really made the DS game pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Day one if the controls are awesome, a big "maybe" otherwise.

Yea I love the DS version but that's all touch. Will see how it plays on 360, one would think with the platform and title that it would be a great multiplayer game Tetris DS goes up to 4 players, 8 locally), and with only 2 players, meh at best.

that would be pretty sweet. Meteos for sure, don't know about PowerUp Forever though.

edit: not to get anyone's hopes up but the Meteos Wars forum is now active on the Xbox site

I loved Meteos DS... it will be interesting at least to see how (if at all) they make up for not being able to move fast like you can with the stylus.

I can't imagine playing this on anything other than my DS. I think I'll stick with my Meteos: Disney Magic.

Add me to the list of people who love the DS version but has reservations about the controls. I'll try the demo out in hopes they pull it off.

OMFG. I've been playing the hell out of this on my DS for the past 3 weeks. My gf is going to punch me and Jesus Christ in the dick if my 360 doesn't get back to me soon so I can enjoy this.

[quote name='deszaras']I can't imagine playing this on anything other than my DS. I think I'll stick with my Meteos: Disney Magic.[/quote]

Yeah, what he said! (you even have great taste in hats)

the controls are not that bad once you tinker with the settings in the option menu. Kinda regret buying it though, I've got the feeling that they are going to pull what they did with the Lumines game on XBLA

I tried it before I left the house this morning. I may pick it up. Is the full game missing a lot of planets or something? I could see them trying to sell that as DLC.

It kinda controls like Poker Smash. I guess it's not too bad, but it's kinda hard to target the precise tile you want to move (tiles are a lot smaller than the poker cards in Poker Smash). Like I said, it's alright but I'm not sure I want to buy it yet.

[quote name='CouRageouS'] Is the full game missing a lot of planets or something? I could see them trying to sell that as DLC.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it seems really light hence why I think this will become another Lumines

You know the controls aren't that half bad. After reading that they were like poker smash's controls I tried to move with the right stick lol. You use A to slide tiles down and Y to slide them up, X for special attack. I don't think it's as good as using a stylus though and I bet this game will go on sale down the line. Still if you haven't played Meteos yet, you need to at least try it, love Meteos.

Since no one has really posted here since the game came out, I'd like to say this game has gotten a bum rap. I wasn't impressed by the demo, mostly because it didn't mention that you could use the right stick to move the blocks (the instructions only mention A and X). I got a whole bunch of Live Points for Christmas, and decided to give Meteos another chance. It takes a few matches to get the hang of the lack of touch control, but once you do, the game plays perfectly. The achievements are easy to get (luckily, none are online, since no one seems to be playing). Several reviews mention terrible lag playing on Live, but I just played a match with my brother in another state and had no problems.

If you enjoyed the original Meteos, I highly recommend this game. Once you adjust to the controls, it's well worth the purchase.

I think this has the potential to be one of the XBLA Hits one day.
Or, one of those games that go on sale for a holiday weekend.
Or, something like that.

I will wait for something under 800 points.

I admittedly only tried the demo, but it just felt wrong without touch controls... I may give it another shot when I'm in a good mood to see whether it has potential.

bread's done
Back