XBLA - Mr. Driller Online - 800pts

Some may think of Gamespot as a joke nowadays, but they gave the game a 2.5...it doesn't look like IGN is alone here.

Even if the online doesn't work at all (of which I have my doubts) the offline portion in the demo alone is better than half of the XBLA games out there. Yeah this game rates lower than Piss Island, Brain Challenge, Wing Commander Arena, and Battlestar Galactica? Don't think so. The demo alone is better than all of those pieces of crap put together.

Some may think of Gamespot as a joke nowadays, but they gave the game a 2.5...it doesn't look like IGN is alone here.

Even if the online doesn't work at all (of which I have my doubts) the offline portion in the demo alone is better than half of the XBLA games out there. Yeah this game rates lower than Piss Island, Brain Challenge, Wing Commander Arena, and Battlestar Galactica? Don't think so. The demo alone is better than all of those pieces of crap put together.

Even if the online doesn't work at all (of which I have my doubts) the offline portion in the demo alone is better than half of the XBLA games out there.

You can doubt all you want. It's been confirmed in multiple places. The multiplayer is completely worthless, at this point.

I was about to lambast IGN for their ratings on present and past reviews until I read about Mr. Driller's grossly-defective online component. One would figure they would have, seemingly, tested out the online play. I would hate to be forced to believe a company would knowingly release a broken product.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']You can doubt all you want. It's been confirmed in multiple places. The multiplayer is completely worthless, at this point.[/QUOTE]

Well fair enough, but that wasn't my main point.

[quote name='porieux']Even if the online doesn't work at all (of which I have my doubts) the offline portion in the demo alone is better than half of the XBLA games out there. Yeah this game rates lower than Piss Island, Brain Challenge, Wing Commander Arena, and Battlestar Galactica? Don't think so. The demo alone is better than all of those pieces of crap put together.[/quote]

Agreed... I really enjoyed the demo (though I've never played Mr. Driller before).

The online problems do seem to be pretty bad, though. I'm sure they will be fixed, but there's not really any excuse for releasing the game like this. They should offer a partial points refund for those who have bought it so far (like me :lol:). Maybe give us back 400 points or something.

I know, I know, that will never happen ;)

Has MS commented on the issue at all?

[quote name='porieux']Well fair enough, but that wasn't my main point.[/quote]

Fair enough, but I think the review is still valid, because they are charging $10 for an extremely short experience. Without a legitimate multiplayer option, there isn't much reason to play this more than few times. Now, if they patch this up, I will be very pleased.

When the name of the game has the word 'online' in it, it had damn well better have working online.

If I want to play single player Mr. Driller, I can play either one of the two GBA carts, or the DS version.

The horrible reviews are completely warranted when the main selling point of the game is the ability to play online against other people.

That said, I'm sure they will release a patch to fix this. How could they not? lol

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Has anyone heard Namco or MS announce a patch in the works? I really wanna buy this game but not untill it is fixed.[/quote]

http://www.xblah.net/2008/04/namco-yeah-mr-driller-online-is-pretty.html

According to this, Namco posted on their Japanese site that they were aware of the problem and would post an update soon. Or you could go the route that some people have, and call Microsoft for a refund. There's a link in that article to one person who was successful, and a friend of mine was also able to get a refund (you have to delete it from your console, though).

After hearing all the hype, I downloaded the demo to see what it was all about.

I tried it out, and my wife tried it out, and we both thought the same thing: Hmm, we just dig down. Why would I want to do this? And with no local-multiplayer.. I mean, what the heck? No fun for couples.

The game just felt pointless. I couldn't find the fun, not one bit of it. Too bad, because I enjoy puzzle games and I was hoping for another good one.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Has anyone heard Namco or MS announce a patch in the works? I really wanna buy this game but not untill it is fixed.[/quote]

http://www.xblah.net/2008/04/namco-yeah-mr-driller-online-is-pretty.html

According to this, Namco posted on their Japanese site that they were aware of the problem and would post an update soon. Or you could go the route that some people have, and call Microsoft for a refund. There's a link in that article to one person who was successful, and a friend of mine was also able to get a refund (you have to delete it from your console, though).

After hearing all the hype, I downloaded the demo to see what it was all about.

I tried it out, and my wife tried it out, and we both thought the same thing: Hmm, we just dig down. Why would I want to do this? And with no local-multiplayer.. I mean, what the heck? No fun for couples.

The game just felt pointless. I couldn't find the fun, not one bit of it. Too bad, because I enjoy puzzle games and I was hoping for another good one.

I emailed MS and Namco about the issue, just for kicks.

I got a nice scripted email back from the morons at MS explaining how to connect to Xbox Live... :whistle2:|

And an email from Namco saying they were aware of the problem and were working on it.

Hopefully it will be soon, I want to play some multiplayer on live. I wonder why this game doesn't have the xbox live arcade logo when you launch the game? Recently every game that has come out has that logo but this game doesn't, I find it weird.

When I last played I had to download an update. I assume it was to patch the online. Problem was I couldn't find anyone to play. If you got it try online now and hopefully I'll see some of you.

Just played a bunch of games online with my brother with no problems. Once the word gets out, maybe more people will play online.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']Just played a bunch of games online with my brother with no problems. Once the word gets out, maybe more people will play online.[/quote]

Excellent. I will be going online probably tonight, then.

Which driller is the best one to use? I always used the dog that can climb 2 blocks. I tried the robot and got farther than ever. Is it all personal preference or is one or two of them clearly the best to use?
This thread has been collecting dust forever. If anyone heads online let me know.

I used to be addictted to this game both on the DS and 360. I haven't played in forever but now i've got that itch! :D

I always used the one that can get crushed once without dieing. It's kinda a personal preference thing though as each character had +/- when you look at speed, air, double kills etc.

Wooooooooooow. I completely forgot about this game. Anyway, maybe I will jump on later. I also use the robot, seeing as you basically get double the lives. I could never get very far with anyone else. Maybe, that's why I stopped playing this. I suck at it.

bread's done
Back