XBLA - Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - Fall 2010 - 100+ Mazes

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/pac-man-championship-edition-dx-coming-to-xbla-psn-this-fall/

The Pac-Man party continues as Namco Bandai has announced a followup to 2007's excellent Pac-Man Championship Edition: simply, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. The so-called sequel will launch on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network this fall, adding new mazes, modes and enhancements to the CE formula.

In fact, DX sounds seriously "deluxe," expanding the original Championship Edition's six mazes to "more than 100 varied and mind-boggling" courses, according to Namco Bandai. Additionally, new modes will include Time Attack Mode, an objective-based Mission Mode and the (devour) Ghost Mode.

We'll look to gobble up more details at Namco Bandai's Pac-Man birthday event tonight. (Old Yellow's turning 30!)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why? This is all new stuff and the original is only $5.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the original Pac-Man game? Because the original Championship Edition is still $10 on XBLA.

Gamestop should still have the Sonic Tennis/Arcade duo-pack for $3.99, includes Pac-man CE + others. Great pickup if you don't mind the required playing from the disc.

I personally didn't enjoy Pac-man on the 360 with the analog or bad D-pad. Neither feel right and make my twitch moves go the wrong way resulting in de-rez.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Are you talking about the original Pac-Man game? Because the original Championship Edition is still $10 on XBLA.[/QUOTE]
Could've sworn that I only paid $5 for it. Either way, it's still a great game.

pac-man-championship-edition-dx-20100908014832078_640w.jpg

The original Pac-Man CE was a great, lovely game. It's getting a sequel that adds some cool features. Some examples: there are now more than four ghosts on-screen at once and you can play as multiple versions of Pac-Man, such as the Pacmania version.

No price or release date yet, though 800 points is likely.

Previews

IGN
GamesRadar

One of the few "milkin' it" releases I'll probably get on day one. First game is easily in the top 5 XBLA titles.

Not sure I'd count on it being 800 points though. After the praise and success the first game received, they know they can charge $15 and people will still buy it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']One of the few "milkin' it" releases I'll probably get on day one. First game is easily in the top 5 XBLA titles.

Not sure I'd count on it being 800 points though. After the praise and success the first game received, they know they can charge $15 and people will still buy it.[/QUOTE]

I agree, depending on the number of game modes - theres a good chance this XBLA will be in the $15 range. But, they'll probably put the other XBLA Pac-Man games on sale for a week :roll:

i'm really hoping this is going to be 800 points
knowing them its going to be 1200 though...

ps3's gameshare feature sounds amazing. why can't microsoft give us that feature?

[quote name='eastx']
10 different mazes this time (I don't think it's 100+)! Pac-Man CE had 3 or 4.[/QUOTE]

There are probably challenge levels like the iphone game. There were 120+ of those.

In all those videos the ghosts pretty much only seem to follow you directly, or at least ghosts moving around in their own patterns seems to be pretty much gone with a token regular-ish ghost here or there. So, chomping a long line of ghosts is cool, but I'm not sure if it's really an improvement. Mind you, I'm sure it will be fun, but perhaps a much more singular experience - build long lines of ghosts and then chomp them.

I hope it isn't *just* having a line of ghosts chase you straight up. That isn't Pac-Man. I can't wait to hear that this isn't the case!

I can't stay up. Have to work. :( In any case it doesn't matter as I'm just under 800 points. Dang. I hate non 400 point multiples. Will probably be downloading it, though, once I get my 800 points back. IF I get them back.

[quote name='aihuman']Pac Man CE DX release tomorrow Nov 17.Who's staying up?:applause:[/QUOTE]

For sure, can't wait for this one.

The IGN review is pretty thorough, looks like tons of mazes (a lot more than in CE), plus you can customize the look & feel of the board in several different ways, lots of combinations possible. I'll do the trial first just in case, but I can't see any reason why this won't be a day 1 purchase later this evening.

Pure awesome. I've only had time to run the Championship II course 3 times but I can't wait to play some more tonight.

Easiest 800 point purchase in the 360's 5 year existence.

One of the rare occasions when I've bought a game without even bothering with the demo.

Game is fantastic.

I'm tempted to use my rebate from last month on this. I really liked the trial. So are the bombs the newest addition to the pac man universe? I feel like it gave it a Geometry Wars feel in the Pac Man world. I really liked it.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I'm tempted to use my rebate from last month on this. I really liked the trial.[/QUOTE]

This is what I used my trial on, and I don't regret it one bit.

As an extra bonus, this was probably the easiest 200 / 200 I've ever gotten ;) Think I got all the achievements in about 25 - 30 minutes.

This game is AWESOME! I used my 800 rebate points on this, and would have purchased it even without my rebate. The controls are tight, and the visuals are gorgeous. Like animalspinners said, the achievments were extremely easy to get. I got them all in about an hour.

Will buy this without downloading the trial first, as soon as I get home!

Also, hopefully pick up the new controller with the nice d-pad soon and itll be perfect Pacman arcade at home! :D

bread's done
Back