XBLA - Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - Fall 2010 - 100+ Mazes

Great game as expected. Gets crazy but not so crazy you feel that you have no control over the situation. Bombs and dormant ghosts are a nice addition that do not "break" the formula at all. Highest possible recommendation.

[quote name='animalspinners']This is what I used my trial on, and I don't regret it one bit.

As an extra bonus, this was probably the easiest 200 / 200 I've ever gotten ;) Think I got all the achievements in about 25 - 30 minutes.[/QUOTE]

CE was pretty easy too - get a few good games under your belt and you had 200/200. Glad to see they didn't feel the urge to make impossible achievements for this one.

[quote name='BackInBlack']I'm tempted to use my rebate from last month on this.[/QUOTE]

I spent over 5000 points last month and didn't get the 800 point rebate yet... I'd pick up Pac-Man asap but I guess I'll wait til the rebate shows up. The offer said expect it by Nov. 30th so I guess they are taking their time :cry:

[quote name='astrotide']I spent over 5000 points last month and didn't get the 800 point rebate yet... I'd pick up Pac-Man asap but I guess I'll wait til the rebate shows up. The offer said expect it by Nov. 30th so I guess they are taking their time :cry:[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Really want this so waiting patiently :)

^Glad I'm not the only one. I think I will spend my rebate points on this as well. I thought that Pacman CE was cool but it was on the arcade disc thus making it not cool. Yeah I'm that lazy about changing discs.

No 800 point rebate for me either. Frustrating to see that others have gotten it. Oh well. I guess we just have to wait.

So I tried the demo and... it is fun, but it is just having long lines of ghosts chasing you straight up. All the ghosts seem to be exactly the same. Are there any modes in the full version that mix things up, or is it just this over and over? If so I'm going to have to think about it. It was fun, but I don't know....

This game is excellent! Tons of modes and mazes and very addicting. Got 200/200 in about an hour last night. My rebate came yesterday so I was able to use the points from it to make the purchase.

I actually went in to buy it and add points but

I GOT MY 800 REBATE POINTS!!!

So it was basically free gift to me from MS :D

The game's adrenaline inducing and all I did was watch gameplay videos of it. Is there any reason for me to get the first Championship Edition after I've downloaded DX? I never got around to playing the first one.

[quote name='GodlyOne']The game's adrenaline inducing and all I did was watch gameplay videos of it. Is there any reason for me to get the first Championship Edition after I've downloaded DX? I never got around to playing the first one.[/QUOTE]

I would get it, they play quite differently and the original is still awesome.
But, it depends on how much you love these kind of games.

[quote name='GodlyOne']The game's adrenaline inducing and all I did was watch gameplay videos of it. Is there any reason for me to get the first Championship Edition after I've downloaded DX?[/QUOTE]

The first one is great but I'd say no. There are gameplay differences but I don't know if it's enough to warrant paying another 10 bucks. It is a relatively easy 200/200 points though, if that matters to you. Try the demo at least.

The original is still a better game, I'd highly recommend that. While DX is the hot shit of the moment, it's far more linear than CE. The original is more like traditional Pac-Man. DX is a whole different style of game.

The emphasis on chains is much more pronounced in DX with all the sleeping ghosts. It's pretty exciting to get a long ghost chain and watch those 3200s keep racking up. It's amazing how such a simple gameplay addition can work so well.

I am a little disappointed that this doesn't seem to have a traditional pac-man game mode in it.. or is it just buried somewhere that I am missing it?

[quote name='tranceFusion']I am a little disappointed that this doesn't seem to have a traditional pac-man game mode in it.. or is it just buried somewhere that I am missing it?[/QUOTE]

That wasn't in the original either, was it? I don't recall seeing it. If you want the original Pac-Man, get the Namco Museum. It's cheap and has lots of good games on it (and bad ones too.) It also has the original Pac-Man Championship Edition, so double win! Alas, they aren't installable. You have to play from disc.

I would not recommend the original CE, just get this one and stick with it...

The original did not have the amount of maps as this one does, it did not have the bombs that you can use in this one (which definitely adds to the strategic element of getting the fastest times on each map) and it also didnt allow you to see and compete against your own score the way this one does...

This one has improved in every single aspect versus the first one and I played the shi! out of the first one!

BTW I'm #3 on the leaderboards in one of the Time Trial (Total)!!!! I think its called Spiral

Need to get to #1 tonight, I'm so damn hooked!

[quote name='crunchewy']That wasn't in the original either, was it? I don't recall seeing it.[/QUOTE]

Correct. Remember, original Pac-Man is also on XBLA, I suppose they thought including it in the original Pac-Man CE would have completely killed the sales of Pac-Man.

[quote name='kingcobraSS']
The original did not have the amount of maps as this one does, it did not have the bombs that you can use in this one (which definitely adds to the strategic element of getting the fastest times on each map) ![/QUOTE]

The bombs are more of a cheat than anything. Avoiding a ghost trap is far more skill based without a "reset" button.

[quote name='kingcobraSS']it also didnt allow you to see and compete against your own score the way this one does...![/QUOTE]

Your high score was always up in the top right corner of the screen just as it is now.

[quote name='kingcobraSS']
This one has improved in every single aspect versus the first one and I played the shi! out of the first one![/QUOTE]

The leaderboards need work, in fact they are a step backwards compared to the first game. Why not show your own score ranked among your friends? Where's the weekly scores? Why not incorporate a GeoWars2 style high score chase by putting your friends scores on screen? The leaderboards are an utter failure.

Sorry, DX is the hot shit of the moment, but CE still trumps it in almost every way. There are two areas where DX has the edge; number of maps, and the ability to change map, and player styles.

I love 'em both, but they are really different games so to tell someone to pass on one over the other just seems short sighted.

[quote name='Corvin']The bombs are more of a cheat than anything. Avoiding a ghost trap is far more skill based without a "reset" button.[/QUOTE]

With the Speed of the game, they needed to add something to give the player a chance once it reaches 50. So yes it is a "Cheat"... so play on expert where you have 3 bombs then.

[quote name='Corvin'] Originally Posted by kingcobraSS
it also didnt allow you to see and compete against your own score the way this one does...!

Your high score was always up in the top right corner of the screen just as it is now.[/QUOTE]

You missed the entire point.
I'll just give For example rather then trying to explain it: Let's say The 1st time you do a time trial, you get 1 Minute to complete it. Now Say you do said trial in 20 seconds. The Next time you do that trial, you can set it so that you have only 20 seconds to do the trial to attempt to improve your time.
For me this was both helpful and frustrating. Helpful to know how much time I can work with and hopefully improve upon. Frustrating knowing how fast said time goes without really improving. I need more practice!

[quote name='xpag406']With the Speed of the game, they needed to add something to give the player a chance once it reaches 50. So yes it is a "Cheat"... so play on expert where you have 3 bombs then.[/QUOTE]

I do. Thanks.

Bombs slow you down and ruin combos. You are encouraged to not use them. That's how I know I've screwed up a high score run.

Game is amazing.

You really shouldn't compare the two, because they play differently.

The leaderboards are really a mess, and tough to understand. Why do I have to navigate through so many screens just to compare my score with my wife's who's sitting next to me?
And in the end, we still don't know because it's not broken down in a logical manner. Whoever designed them needs to go back to basic design school.

[quote name='Strell']Bombs slow you down and ruin combos. You are encouraged to not use them. That's how I know I've screwed up a high score run.

Game is amazing.[/QUOTE]

I haven't paid attention - does anyone know if dying penalizes your speed/combo/potential score as much/more than using bombs? I could see them actually having a death not penalize you as much since your penalty is risking not finishing your game & losing seconds off the clock.

Is the Pac-Man CE DX "box art" not loading on the dashboard where it shows the covers of your 3 most-recently played games for anyone else? It's just showing a generic, green "Xbox Live" cover.

How many players are on the XBLA version? I'm assuming the CHAMP2 course ranking's last number is the amount of players.

I wish there was a universal topic with scores.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I haven't paid attention - does anyone know if dying penalizes your speed/combo/potential score as much/more than using bombs? I could see them actually having a death not penalize you as much since your penalty is risking not finishing your game & losing seconds off the clock.[/QUOTE]

It appears bombs slow you down by a few levels while dying drops you ten levels. So in the long run it's better to bomb and keep your speed intact even if you miss some ghosts vs. dying trying to keep a chain alive.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Is the Pac-Man CE DX "box art" not loading on the dashboard where it shows the covers of your 3 most-recently played games for anyone else? It's just showing a generic, green "Xbox Live" cover.[/QUOTE]

That's been happening to a few new XBLA releases recently, the cover art will show up soon.

Just got around to checking out the demo today and was PISSED OFF when my demo ended! LOL I love this game. I played 5 minute attack over and over and over for about 2 hours bumping up my high score. was a big fan of Pac-Man CE but this is way better. :D

Watched a friend play the demo and I don't think I could get into this one. I don't like the idea of a million ghosts, sleeping ghosts and bombs. It seems like it strays from the original formula too much while CE stayed truer to the original.

Then again, I still haven't played too much of CE either.

whooo~! top 1000!!!

2up71ae.jpg

not the best score, but I am happy for now

Congrats. I've cracked the top 20 twice, but have since fallen to about #40. 1,990,xxx is my current high. So fucking close to 2 mil and yet so far away. lol

[quote name='Corvin']Congrats. I've cracked the top 20 twice, but have since fallen to about #40. 1,990,xxx is my current high. So fucking close to 2 mil and yet so far away. lol[/QUOTE]I feel you...

mcf1aq.jpg

Im shootin for it tho!!

JEKKI, you need to get your overall rank higher. I watched your last replay and you can easily get 2 million if take a few more risks. I know I'm only at 1.7 mil or so right now but I'm practicing my run in pieces.

[quote name='Hostile']How many players are on the XBLA version? I'm assuming the CHAMP2 course ranking's last number is the amount of players.

I wish there was a universal topic with scores.[/QUOTE]
They have a counter for the total players on the main menu if you're looking for that number.

Also, the total ranking in the game is based off of your overall total game score. Last time I checked I was 83rd out of 66,000

[quote name='TC']Bought this over the weekend. Damn it's fun.[/QUOTE]

I've tried to get a few friends to buy it and they are all in the camp of: how many points for a Pac-Man game?? No way man it ain't even Ms. Pac-Man was the last reply I got. Oh well their loss... :roll:

bread's done
Back