XBLA - Panzer General: Allied Assault - 10/21 - 800 points

fart_bubble

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=65217

Panzer General: Allied Assault is an all-new single and multiplayer digital card game that takes place during the last phase of World War II, from 1944 to 1945. The dramatic events of D-Day finally gave the Allies a foothold on Fortress Europe, allowing them to push the Germans back to Berlin. Players can recreate actual battles such as Utah Beach, Operation Market Garden, and the infamous Battle of the Bulge in the hopes of turning back the German tide. Build, customize and fight with your personalized deck of 60 digital cards. History is in your hands.

Ranked as one of the top 50 computer games of all time and quoted by PC Gamer Magazine as "Criminally Addictive”, the Panzer General franchise has spawned a loyal following of dedicated fans eager for more turn-based strategy action. This all-new strategy game title comes after five successful releases under its belt.

Key Features:

* CARD GAME MEETS BOARD GAME: Thanks to the Collectible Card Game mechanics, players can swap out Unit Cards in decks for the perfect mix of tanks, artillery and infantry. Add in special Action Cards to "break the rules” and surprise opponents with air strikes and reinforcements. Players can retool decks with new cards awarded after each single or multiplayer victory.
* A TASTE OF HISTORY: Panzer General Allied Assault lets players dive into the history of World War II. 3D models of vehicles used during the War march across the board and players can discover the cities where desperate battles took place. It's a new and exciting way to learn history.
* PLAYER V. PLAYER (PVP) MODE: Players can play with a friend and have access to the special Unit and Action Cards you have unlocked in the single player Campaign. The more you play, the more cards you unlock!

Ubisoft's Panzer General: Allied Assault, developed by Petroglyph, is scheduled for release in Fall 2009.

talk about an odd path to take one of my favorite SSI games down

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I'm disappointed that this isn't just a port of Panzer and/or Allied General but I'm more than intrigued. I've been sitting on these damn MS points for ages.

though its not the Panzer series that I grew up with, this game is pretty fucking sweet. Fast gameplay and A LOT of depth which does lead it to having a bit of a steep learning curve. But I'm really hoping for a strong community as this game, like all TCGs, is all about multiplayer.

Though Tower Bloxx is the one that will get the most attention from this week's releases, this is the better game

sad that this game got plenty of great reviews and yet hardly anyone is talking about it.

Even the Magic, Catan and Carcassonne nerds seem to be non-plussed about the game

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to check this out.

And you're right. Haven't heard anyone talking about this.

I'm mixed on the demo. Mostly because I don't typically enjoy card games that have your cards moving around. The only two TCGs I played regularly were M:tG and Rage (remember that one?) so marching units forward to get into a fight is new to me. I haven't bought the game yet but I'll give the demo another whirl and think about it more.

How is the deck editing? It isn't really an issue in the demo but is the interface efficient?

Anyhow, someone just needs to port that old Microprose MtG game to XBLA. That game consumed my life for weeks back in the day.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm mixed on the demo. Mostly because I don't typically enjoy card games that have your cards moving around. The only two TCGs I played regularly were M:tG and Rage (remember that one?) so marching units forward to get into a fight is new to me. I haven't bought the game yet but I'll give the demo another whirl and think about it more.

How is the deck editing? It isn't really an issue in the demo but is the interface efficient?

Anyhow, someone just needs to port that old Microprose MtG game to XBLA. That game consumed my life for weeks back in the day.[/QUOTE]

After getting into it, it's more akin to the Memoir '44 board games with the trappings of Magic rather than Magic with the trappings of the tabletop war games.

The deck customization admittingly isn't the most intuitive but once you grasp it, it is easy to deal with. One thing I do like is that though there is strategy in what you put into your deck, it doesn't end up breaking down into seeing the same decks over and over as it leaves enough room for surprises.

Though they haven't said anything so far (they've been keeping mum on the subject) but I'm hoping that they do a title update so they can insert expansions into the game. Though 200 or so different cards that are all balanced with each other is really nice, more content is always better. Plus throwing in the option of being able to customize the board tiles in online games would be another treat.

There is one bug in the game that they haven't patched yet (they're working on it though) but it has an easy fix. In the trial game, after the first time you play it and exit the game and then you boot it up again, after the intro, the screen becomes washed out to a white screen with yellow splotches. The work around is to get into the initial menu screen and then using the guide button (when you press it, the game shows up how it should in the back ground) go into the options and into the video section and then click on the return to default settings option. Only happens once and after you do this, it stays fixed.

bread's done
Back