XBLA - Poker Smash - 800pts - DLC: Enviroments and Puzzle Pack Up Now 100pts ea.

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

POKER SMASH is a blazing fast puzzle game with a poker twist! Developed by industry veterans with a passion for games, Poker Smash delivers with stunning visuals and insanely addictive gameplay. Radical features like super slow motion and card blasting bombs make Poker Smash a whole new puzzle experience. Are you ready for a fast paced innovative game with amazing HD graphics and a custom soundtrack that will blow you away? Find it on XBOX Live Arcade.
  • Truly stunning next gen graphics
  • Multiple intense single player and multiplayer game modes: Action mode, Puzzle Mode, Practice Mode, Custom Playlist Mode, Split Screen Head-to-Head, and Multiplayer Tournaments
  • Totally new, completely unique soundtrack
Gameplay Modes
  • ACTION MODE
Allows players to experience fast paced puzzle action with a poker twist. In action mode, the board scrolls at an increasing pace rewarding players with new and exciting surroundings as their skills progress. The goal is to make as many matches as possible to earn points and last as long as possible.Matches are created by arranging cards by color or by making poker hands. The most advanced players can chain these various matches together to make big scores. Bombs and slow motion will help advance your skills and prepare you to outplay your friends. Are you up to the challenge? How many chains can you make?
  • PUZZLE MODE
For the insightful player who excels at strategy. The objective of puzzle mode is to clear the board one exciting puzzle at a time. Watch out – there are multiple solutions to each puzzle, so retry to earn the maximum amount of points! Take a seat and be ready to enjoy some out-of-the box tactical thinking.
  • PRACTICE MODE
Designed for players who want to take their game to the limit. Players have full control of the board speed and can practice making mad chains and unlimited matches without the added pressure. After honing your skills in practice mode, you will have an edge over your competitors and reach achievements beyond belief.

• CUSTOM PLAYLIST MODE
Allows players to pick their favorite themes and order them as desired. Players can save up their in-game winnings and visit the Poker Smash Store to purchase themes. You better practice your skills in order to unlock the excitement of all eleven themes!
  • SPLIT SCREEN HEAD-TO-HEAD
Allows players to compete with their friend or foe – fast-paced, action mode style. Watch out for falling blocks – your success is your opponent’s nightmare. Players use all of the same skills and tricks as in single player action mode, but only one of you will come out on top.
  • MULTIPLAYER TOURNAMENTS
Designed for those with a thirst for smack-talking, fist pounding competition. Up to five players can participate in a tournament, and every player starts the tournament with the same amount of chips (or points). Chips are never added or removed from the tournament, they merely flow from player to player, and when a player has no more chips, he or she is eliminated from the tournament. Drop blocks on your opponents to get the advantage, but if your cards reach the top you are eliminated and your chips are divided up among the remaining players. In a Poker Smash multiplayer tournament, its winner take all!
http://www.voidstarcreations.com/pokersmash/index.html

I've been waiting for this one for a while now...looks like it could be a lot of fun.

where is Ikuraga or Super Street Fighter II HD, I am saving my 1600pts for those. (That is if they are both 800 pts each)

[quote name='tenzor']where is Ikuraga or Super Street Fighter II HD, I am saving my 1600pts for those. (That is if they are both 800 pts each)[/QUOTE]

yup, i love puzzle games and i love poker, but im not paying 10 bucks for this.

This looks really good actually, it kind of snuck up behind me as I wasn't expecting to buy too many XBLA games in Q1 (except Rez, of course).

Another Play & Win game, this time featuring Poker Smash:
To celebrate the release of this new puzzle games, we've got a Play & Win Sweepstakes with an Xbox 360® Elite console up for grabs. All you need to do is log on to Xbox LIVE between February 6-13 and download the Poker Smash game from Arcade (full game or free trial version) to enter!
Before registering for the sweepstakes, make sure your Xbox LIVE account information is accurate! Potential winners will be notified by the sweepstakes administrator and have their prizes shipped using their Xbox LIVE profile information (e-mail, address, phone). If your Xbox LIVE Profile information is not complete, correct, or current, you will be disqualified and ineligible to receive a prize in this Play & Win.
Check your account information here.
Prize Information

On or about February 27, five lucky winners will be selected to receive prizes
  • One Grand Prize: Xbox 360 Elite Console
  • Four Second Prizes: 4000 Microsoft Points
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (includes the District of Columbia) and Canada (excluding Province of Quebec) 14+. Skill testing question required for Canadian winners. Game ends February 13, 2008. For details including free, alternate method of entry, see the Official Rules.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/p/pokersmashxboxlivearcade/playandwin/

Good luck all!

BTW: This comes out tomorrow or for those late night CAG's tonight @ 12am PST (or sometime after ;))

Looks like Tetris attack with an added layer of comboplay, what with the matching of poker hands. Sounds like a purchase to me, even though I'm not much of a poker player.

After playing the trial, I have to say... I love poker smash. Great sounds and atmosphere, well-explained rules, easy to control, and with enough twist to definately make it come into it's own. I don't know how it'll feel in multi-player yet, but I can easily see this being one of the most chain-crazy, reflex-rewarding puzzlers that's ever been released.

Random Tip from in game: You can actually pull pieces across gaps that span the entire screen if you desire. This really helps make some chains possible that surely couldn't be done in Tetris Attack. (I don't know about Planet Puzzle League, never played it.)

* CUSTOM PLAYLIST MODE

Allows players to pick their favorite themes and order them as desired. Players can save up their in-game winnings and visit the Poker Smash Store to purchase themes. You better practice your skills in order to unlock the excitement of all eleven themes!
Heh, I balked for a minute there, until I re-read and saw that it said IN-GAME winnings.

Anyways I agree that this looks intriguing. A competitive puzzler done right can be a thing of beauty. I'll definitely have to download the demo when i get home!

[quote name='Brainwave0']It seems the 400 point games are a thing of the past.[/QUOTE]

With the introduction of "Arcade Classics" it seems 400pts are gone. They have to be able to lower the price of a game for that line. Dropping $5 games to $2.50 or $3 doesn't seem too reasonable. It's much easier to overprice everything to be able to lower it later. Sucks, but it's probably the case.

Why would you expect this to be 400 points?

The rule of thumb has always been new/really revamped games are 800 while ports are 400.

fucking fantastic game! I tried it out last night at midnight, bought it, and couldn't stop playing till 2am...God I'm tired...

Anywho...the game is a total blast, the visuals are better then expected. All modes of play are great, after each game your winnings are accumulated in your bank, with the bank money you can buy ingame themes, 2 gamerpics, and videos of solutions for the puzzles. I got one gamerpic, see sig below. Its easy to forget that you're playing poker and you start trying to match up colors instead of hands. I tried for like an hour last night to try to get a royal flush but its a lot harder than I thought it would be. Definate must buy!

[quote name='Sporadic']Why would you expect this to be 400 points?

The rule of thumb has always been new/really revamped games are 800 while ports are 400.[/quote]

Pragmatism FTW!

But if every game were 400 points people would just complain that they aren't free.

This game is the balls. I may lay down the 800 points for it. I've certainly saved that much thanks to recent shitty Rock Band DLC

Must... resist... x_x;

*hits self over the head with bat*

*sees card emblems spinning around head*

Oooh! Pretty emblems!

I will pick it up since I just got a new points card.

They really need to have a 600 point category.

Just played the trial. Unfortunately I can't really recommend it, especially for big fans of Plant Puzzle League. Using the analog sticks was very frustrating as I was not able to make 10x + combos like I can on PPL. The whole time I was like, "Man, if I had the stylus I could keep this combo going"

Having grown up on Tetris Attack (shit tons of it) I may have been spoiled by Puzzle League's stylus control because man, after the stylus, everything else controls like garbage.

I've played the demo, and loved it! I'm actually going to pick this up tonight, which is saying something, since I've spent 1600 points total on Arcade games since they began to be released. It's a ton of fun.

I saw how OXM loved this game, I had high hopes. But I'm such a CAG it will pain me to drop 10 bucks on an arcade game that isn't Rez.

I'll have to try the demo and see how crazy I am over it.

Wow...I tried to take it online and I suck...I had like 20K and the other 2 players had 70K...WTF am I doing wrong!?

Its gotta be my way of thinking...I keep trying to match colors and not creating hands, though how they get crazy chains is beyond me, I can't get anything higher than 4 and that was one lucky time. Still great game though :)

Love it. Tried the demo first and it kicked my ass, but I can definitely see how you eventually learn to "read the screen" the right way. This is my first "new game" (meaning non port of some old arcade/console game) arcade purchase since Pac-Man C.E.

This "score 1,000,000 points" is going to be rough. My highest is 123,000 :(

Does anyone know how to get your multiplyer up? I seem to get it to 2x..and then sometimes it goes to 3x but not for a while. Hmm..

[quote name='lilboo']This "score 1,000,000 points" is going to be rough. My highest is 123,000 :(

Does anyone know how to get your multiplyer up? I seem to get it to 2x..and then sometimes it goes to 3x but not for a while. Hmm..[/quote]

My highest is only like 40,000 lol. So you can imagine how far 1,000,000 seems.

bread's done
Back