XBLA - Rocket Knight is out now for 1200 points

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Rocket Knight is out now and it's quite good. It's a sequel to the original Genesis games, not a remake.

It's been ages since I played the first Genny game, but... This one plays perfectly! The control is really smooth, with a pleasant selection of moves at your disposal. Fighting enemies and collecting items is a real joy. The scoring system rewards you for collecting items and killing enemies in quick succession (comboing). The leaderboards keep track of score runs and time runs separately, which is awesome.
The game looks good in motion (better than screenshots), with nice parallax backgrounds. The characters' faces don't display enough emotion for a 3D game, but it's not a huge deal.

The only real drawback with Rocket Knight is its $15 price tag. I wish it had launched at $10. But so far it's an excellent game, which makes the price hurt less.

rocket-knight-returns.jpg

[youtube]SxOBcXCieM4[/youtube]

IGN review

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried it, yet... but I'm a little disappointed that they didn't release the original first, or something. I loved that game, and would love to play it again.

Looks like fun...was kind of hoping for $10 on this one as well. I'll download the demo for now. Maybe when it goes on sale.

Well... That's how lots of games looked back then. It plays nothing like Sonic though. Rocket Knight Adventures on Genesis was designed by the creator of Contra and it's a real technical masterpiece. You can read about the series history here:

http://hg101.kontek.net/sparkster/sparkster.htm

I recently edited that article (which was written by Kurt Kulatta) but the revision hasn't gone up yet.

I was so looking forward to this since I loved the original on the genesis but 1200? Come on that's a little steep. I guess I'll be waiting for it to hit DotW which I normally do anymore anyways

Forgot about the charge aspect, but if the demo was anything to go by, disappointed there's no boss music. I see myself waiting on this one as well.

Tried it last night, I loved Rocket Knight Adventures but this new game felt....off somehow. I thought it was ok but I'm not paying 1200 points for it.

had a lot of fun with the trial last night, but i havent seen any reviews up for this. is it worth the 1200 points?

I beat the original game for the first time a few months back. I can't stress enough on how well made it is. HVGN did a review of the original. After watching this I ran out and bought myself a copy, it looked so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq0Mqz5VQ3M

As for the new one it was okay. Not as good as the original. I'd buy it for 800 points.

I read that IGN review several days ago. It looks really good, but it's supposedly short and has no replay value. $15 is just too much.

You can beat the game in an hour if you're rushing. But there are 3 difficulties, and the leaderboards keep track of score and time separately (so you can do time runs or score runs). I'd say it has a pretty good amount of replayability, but it is indeed short.

[quote name='Brak']I haven't tried it, yet... but I'm a little disappointed that they didn't release the original first, or something. I loved that game, and would love to play it again.[/QUOTE]
For the price they should have included the original game as well. If they would have done that I would have no problem spending $15 for the game. I played the hell out of Rocket Knight Adventures and Sparkster on the Genesis and SNES respectively.

I'll wait for the eventual price drop on this and the equally pricey Metal Slug XX.

bread's done
Back