XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the best DLC out of the Dragon age DLC? I heard darkspawn chronicles was really bad...

Not sure what ill pick up.

I only have wardens keep and the free DLC.

[quote name='louiedog']I'm not buying Battlefield 1943 because it's an 18-month-old game from EA. They may shut down servers in month for all I know.[/QUOTE]

it would be a pretty shitty move to shut the game down a month after getting new people in with a price drop, but it is EA. I wanted to get in on the game, but never did. I'd like to get it, but yeah, the EA server BS is a concern of mine too.

[quote name='Metalic']Whats the best DLC out of the Dragon age DLC? I heard darkspawn chronicles was really bad...

Not sure what ill pick up.

I only have wardens keep and the free DLC.[/QUOTE]

MSUhitman has a really good review of all the Dragon Age DLC. Keep an eye out for it in the 4th post "What's in the DLC?". I'm sure reddjoey will update that post when the sale goes live.

I know there have been a few exceptions, but the EA server shutdowns have MOSTLY been for sports games. Only a few non-sports games have had shutdowns. EA and Dice still have the servers running for the first Battlefield Bad Company, and (I think) for Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on 360, so I doubt they'll be shutting these down anytime soon, especially as long as the online community stays active. I wouldn't try to promise or guarantee anything, of course, but I'd guess we have quite some time left on this game. A couple years down the road, when the 360 is about to be replaced by an inevitable newer system, yeah, that's a different story, of course.

Edit: I should clarify to reflect that I'm only talking about the 360 server shutdowns. They've shut down a number of non-sports games for the PS2 and PSP, and of course all the original xbox games.

[quote name='emg28']MSUhitman has a really good review of all the Dragon Age DLC. Keep an eye out for it in the 4th post "What's in the DLC?". I'm sure reddjoey will update that post when the sale goes live.[/QUOTE]

Yep, working on it right now.

I'm interested in Death Spank 1 & 2, but not sure I want to buy both now. If I don't love DS1, it's unlikely I'd play DS2, and then it would just be a waste of money. But at the same time, if I end up loving DS1 and didn't buy DS2 during this sale, then I'd feel like I'd missed an opportunity. Which leads me to possibility 3: I don't buy either and just play other stuff. Hmm.

Okay. DLC post should be updated. MSUHitman didn't review Witch Hunt in the OG post. Before someone thinks about it: Please, please, please, don't bug him to do one. He did that out of his own kindness and I really appreciate him doing it and making the thread that much better. If he wants to add to it, he can chime in and do it on his own.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm interested in Death Spank 1 & 2, but not sure I want to buy both now. If I don't love DS1, it's unlikely I'd play DS2, and then it would just be a waste of money. But at the same time, if I end up loving DS1 and didn't buy DS2 during this sale, then I'd feel like I'd missed an opportunity. Which leads me to possibility 3: I don't buy either and just play other stuff. Hmm.[/QUOTE]
The games are about 10-15 hours, if you do end up getting the first, a week should be plenty time to find out if you love it or not. Don't forget there's couch co-op, which I didn't learn until playing Thongs of Virtue :(

If you dont have Risk Factions, it is GREAT, if you are or have ever been even remotely interested in Risk, this is an insta-buy at this price.

Thinking about picking up Death Spank

[quote name='DJP519']I know there have been a few exceptions, but the EA server shutdowns have MOSTLY been for sports games. Only a few non-sports games have had shutdowns. EA and Dice still have the servers running for the first Battlefield Bad Company, and (I think) for Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on 360, so I doubt they'll be shutting these down anytime soon, especially as long as the online community stays active. I wouldn't try to promise or guarantee anything, of course, but I'd guess we have quite some time left on this game. A couple years down the road, when the 360 is about to be replaced by an inevitable newer system, yeah, that's a different story, of course.

Edit: I should clarify to reflect that I'm only talking about the 360 server shutdowns. They've shut down a number of non-sports games for the PS2 and PSP, and of course all the original xbox games.[/QUOTE]
i also highly doubt they would shut off the servers for this game anytime soon. i mean isn't this game 100% online and without the servers you couldn't do anything right? meaning the game would lose all functionality.

I hope some of the BF stuff goes on sale on the PSN network. I have those games for that system.

I ended up buying the CoD 2 & 3 DLC. I always wanted it and as somebody mentioned earlier I can still play it offline if the community is dead.

[quote name='mozfan27']What time do these deals go live usually? Is it at 2am pacific like the arcade games? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hard to tell. It used to be 11am EST, but lately I have seen them closer to 8-9am EST.

TL;DR - No clue

For anyone worried about the Battlefield 1943 servers, the soonest they would close the servers is early next year. If there is a community still playing, they won't. Simple as that.

[quote name='emg28']MSUhitman has a really good review of all the Dragon Age DLC. Keep an eye out for it in the 4th post "What's in the DLC?". I'm sure reddjoey will update that post when the sale goes live.[/QUOTE]

Not much of a review as it doesn't say if the DLC was even good. Im trying to find out if its worth my time/MS points, Not what it is about as i pretty much knew this already. Im thinking something like, Must have or pass. Does it have new items and is it vital to the story.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Had no intention on buying anything this week, but got Assault Heroes just now since it wasn't bad, and it's just 200 points. Saving the rest of my points for Torchlight and Deathspank: ToV though.

[quote name='djbooba']For anyone worried about the Battlefield 1943 servers, the soonest they would close the servers is early next year. If there is a community still playing, they won't. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]
What he said. Basically BF1943 has been a runaway hit, much to the shagrin of DICE/EA which didn't think it would take off like it has. If you're still seeing a healthy number of opponents each night, then they won't pull it down. With sports games, all the devoted players are keeping up year-after-year, so there's little benefit to EA to keep the old stuff running. Otherwise, for non-sports games, they're probably just a flash in the pan, like Mercenaries 2 or LOTR:Conquest. And then there's LOTR:BFME2 which kept going for 4 1/2 strong years until EA simply lost the license over to Warner Bros. Yes, it stinks that games get dropped, but the popular ones will keep going until EA is forced to drop them out of other issues.

[quote name='Metalic']Not much of a review as it doesn't say if the DLC was even good. Im trying to find out if its worth my time/MS points, Not what it is about as i pretty much knew this already. Im thinking something like, Must have or pass. Does it have new items and is it vital to the story.

Thanks for trying to help though.[/QUOTE]

Did you click on the link in the 4th post? The info you are looking for is there.

Hell, Battlefied 2: Modern Combat servers are still up and that game is over 5 years old. I'm surprised a lot of people still play it. I like popping it in every now in then. I hope the servers are still up though, it has been 6+ months since I've played.

[quote name='reddjoey']In case people avoid the OP

Dragon Age: Origins DLC:

Micro-Review by CAG MSUHitman[/QUOTE]

Updated:

1. Awakening (yeah technically this is DLC that's also available in disk form.) Full sized 15-20 hour expansion for Dragon Age. Takes place right after the events of Origins. You can import your Origins character if they survived (preferred option) or you can bring in a kinda blank standard Warden from Orlais. You get a whole new cast of characters to fight with, although there are 3-4 that make at least an appearance, and maybe more, from Origins.

Best choice is to get the disk as it's a physical media, it's more likely to go on sale. All the final patches for Dragon Age and its DLC have come out so everything is as fixed as its going to be. 8 achievements for 250g (requires at least 2 playthroughs to get all 8 achievements as 1 is end-of-game decision based.)

2. Warden's Keep
If you play DA at all, you'll start learning the pain of destroying loot because your backpack is full. You can buy more backpack space from certain vendors (6 are available throughout the game for about 6 gold each) but you'll want somewhere to store really powerful stuff you can get early on that you can't wear yet.

That's where this comes in. Once you beat it you get a chest with unlimited space you can store whatever you want in there. You can also get a really good warrior armor set if certain conditions are met, and you can get the most powerful sword (either one-handed or two-handed) in the game forged by the new armorsmith who appears there after completion if you got the Superman inspired meteor rock from a random encounter while traveling between areas.

$7 MSRP for 50g, storage chest, new vendors, ability to unlock the strongest sword in the game and a decent armor set for warriors (25g of that 50g is an optional moral choice near the end of the DLC.)

3. (tie) The Stone Prisoner and Leiliana's Song
This is a tie because while Leiliana's Song is the best of the DLC that's not Awakening, The Stone Prisoner is where you can get the golem Shale, who can be the best tank warrior in the game and might be needed if you're playing as a rogue or Mage so you have a 2nd warrior (and gives you options if you don't like one of the other 3 warriors or you miss the one that's missable.)

Stone Prisoner was free in all new copies of Dragon Age, but costs $15 if you bought used. Shale isn't worth $15 IMO as this DLC is one of the shorter ones.

Leiliana's Song is an awesome one IMO. You play as Leiliana as she tells her backstory of running with lover and Orlesian bard mentor Margelline. About 5-6 hours long and has pretty good pacing throughout. If you search around carefully, you'll find 6 pieces of a special leather armor that is the best rogue leather armor in the game and it will work in Origins or Awakening. I would even advise playing Leiliana's Song either to start or soon after starting up Origins and it does an awesome job on telling Leiliana's backstory (something I wish they would have explored with other characters instead of what we got with Golems and Darkspawn Chronicles) and that leather armor will be used by your primary Rogue throughout Origins and quite a bit into Awakening.

Tip on the armor: You should have 5 pieces by the time you wake up in the Chantry after busting out of prison and meet the Orlesian chantry mother who is the one who converts Leiliana to the Chantry. DO NOT LEAVE THE CHANTRY. The sixth piece of the armor is in the desk behind where you wake up.

Stone Prisoner free (new copy) or $15 for new character and 50g (25 when you beat it, 25 if you complete Shale's personal quest)

Leiliana's Song $7 MSRP for 100g and the possibility of getting the best rogue leather armor in Origins (25g just for beating it, 50g for getting the armor, and 25g for an optional quest near the beginning that's REALLY easy to miss/mess up.)

5. Return to Ostagar
This was the first DLC to be released post-release as Stone Prisoner and Warden's Keep were available at launch (Bioware says it's because EA delayed the game from a summer to fall release.) It had tons of bugs and had to be taken down once or twice but it's up and running now.

One of the major events at the beginning of the game, no matter which origin story you choose, are the events that lead (not through your actions) to the fall of Ostagar and King Cailan. In this DLC, you find another survivor who gives you a key that Cailan wanted the Grey Wardens to have if he were to fall.

This is the shortest DLC and is kinda throwaway. Not much voice work and just fights with some darkspawn as you search for King Cailan's armor and documents. In addition to Cailan's armor/shield/sword (really good Warrior set) you also get Duncan's Sword and Dagger, great for any Rogue.

$5 MSRP for 25g (just beat it to get the 1 achievement,) great Warrior sword/shield/armor, great Rogue weapon set

6. Witch Hunt
This was the last DLC and came out the same day as Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2. You can definately tell more work was put into Shadow Broker as while that was at the top of the DLC food chain (high praise by most media and up for an award on my podcast) Witch Hunt didn't have the same polish. In fact a patch had to be put out immediately after release because the game didn't properly save the "choice" you made at the end of it and didn't at times recognize the choice you made at the end of Origins.

You have your Warden and your Mabari warhound going back to Flemeth's hut looking for clues as to where Morrigan has gone. You encounter a Dalish female warrior who is tracking Morrigan after she contacted the Dalish clan from the Dalish Warden origin about the "mirror" (regardless of the Origin story you choose for Origins, the events of the other Origins still take place, just without your influence.) Your investigation leads back to the Tower of Magi, where an expert on these artifacts joins you. Apparently these are ancient portals used by a forgotten race that transport to the different dimension these creatures came from.

You track down the location of the last active portal and after beating its guardian you find Morrigan. She has already given birth and the child is already in the other dimension with her about to join it. You then have a conversation with Morrigan that leads to 1 of 3 conclusions. That choice is then saved and Bioware has promised will be part of what affects the universe of Dragon Age (see similar things Mass Effect 1 did with 2) but the extent is unknown.

Worth playing if you want to sum up the one lose end from Origins and properly set things up for DA 2 and beyond.

$7 MSRP with 3 25p achievements (you should get all 3 with a playthrough but 1 of them is sort of misable if you just zoom through the next-to-last area without searching.)

7. Golems of Argammark
Much like Darkspawn the only reason I got this is when it went on sale last time for $2.50 and I wanted to get the missing achievements. I haven't played it yet as the dwarf areas/mythology was my least favorite thing in Origins, and sludging through those areas again (all the DLC share artwork or flat out take place in the same places as Origins) is not top on my priority list.

The story is you're sent a letter from a dwarf requesting aid for a mission that seems impossible. You are to track down an entire group of Dwarves that went to research a Thaig for info about the golems (not knowing those mysteries were solved by you) that was just recently rediscovered. In addition to the darkspawn that fill the tunnels of the Dwarven empire, you discover an ancient secret that could be far worse ...

Needless to say this is the HARDEST thing to do in all of Dragon Age. Those who played the game on casual originally (like me) will be in for a shock from what I've read. Not to mention to get all of the achievements, you have to be it on hard or nightmare, which is VERY hard to take down the final boss on any difficulty, let alone the hardest difficulties of the game.

$5 MSRP for 3 achievements (1 for beating it, 1 for beating it on hard/nightmare, and 1 you should get if you explore all the areas properly and find all the research notes.)

8. The Darkspawn Chronicles
Like Leiliana's Song this is seperate from the main game and is a what-if scenario. Your usual main character dies during the Joining (not seen in the DLC but shown in the trailer for it) and now Allistair commands the Grey Wardens instead of "you." You control the darkspawn in an alternate version of the final fight from Origins and command them to take down Denerim and in turn conquer Ferelden for the Archdemon.

I don't really like the concept for this DLC and it's throwaway in terms of the story. I only bought it when it went on sale last time. DO NOT PLAY this before you beat Origins if you don't want the events of the finale spoiled. Even though it's a bit opposite since you're commanding the Darkspawn the cutscenes are VERY similar. All you only get for playing this is a sword that will work in Origins or Awakening, but it's just not worth it IMO. There's much better stuff out there.

$5 MSRP for 75g (25 for beating it, 50 for two optional, tougher objectives) and a sword

I would HIGHLY advise doing Warden's Keep, Stone Prisoner, and Return to Ostagar once the events in Lothering pass and the game opens up for you. With Warden's Keep being at the top of the priority list (unless you do Leiliana's Song before you start the main game.)

Then of course Awakening is next, and by the time you complete that your character should be around level 32-34 (cap is 35.) Next do Golems and Darkspawn if you want but I would definately play Witch Hunt pending its price as the "choice" made at the end of that has potential to affect DA 2 and beyond.

[quote name='reddjoey']Okay. DLC post should be updated. MSUHitman didn't review Witch Hunt in the OG post. Before someone thinks about it: Please, please, please, don't bug him to do one. He did that out of his own kindness and I really appreciate him doing it and making the thread that much better. If he wants to add to it, he can chime in and do it on his own.[/QUOTE]

Only reason Witch Hunt wasn't in the original post was it hadn't been released when I first typed that. As you can see above I have updated that post as I have played Witch Hunt and Darkspawn Chronicles now. Witch Hunt did leave a bad taste in my mouth as while the Mass Effect universe DLC has steadily improved (only bad/disappointing one being Pinnacle Station from ME 1), the post-release DA DLC has been pretty disappointing outside of Awakening and Leiliana. Don't blame me if the choice at the end of Witch Hunt doesn't affect DA the same way choices in ME 1 affected ME 2, I'm just stating what Bioware has said.

[quote name='Cornelius']What he said. Basically BF1943 has been a runaway hit, much to the shagrin of DICE/EA which didn't think it would take off like it has. If you're still seeing a healthy number of opponents each night, then they won't pull it down. With sports games, all the devoted players are keeping up year-after-year, so there's little benefit to EA to keep the old stuff running. Otherwise, for non-sports games, they're probably just a flash in the pan, like Mercenaries 2 or LOTR:Conquest. And then there's LOTR:BFME2 which kept going for 4 1/2 strong years until EA simply lost the license over to Warner Bros. Yes, it stinks that games get dropped, but the popular ones will keep going until EA is forced to drop them out of other issues.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just jumped on Sunday night primetime as I was bored and didn't want to get up to change disks and had no problems getting into a game. Given that the hardest achievements in that game is the playing 100 matches and getting a kill in your lifetime in a jeep, tank, and airplane (which using the bombing run counts as that's how I filled the flying obligation Sunday night) it's an XBLA game that isn't too hard to get 200/200 on if you're competent at FPS.

Given that EA is giving this away with every copy of BFBC 2 Ultimate (the only new version being printed now) I doubt this game will go anywhere for now. The earliest I see it being dropped is 2012 depending on how many people leave once BF 3 comes out.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Only reason Witch Hunt wasn't in the original post was it hadn't been released when I first typed that. As you can see above I have updated that post as I have played Witch Hunt and Darkspawn Chronicles now. Witch Hunt did leave a bad taste in my mouth as while the Mass Effect universe DLC has steadily improved (only bad/disappointing one being Pinnacle Station from ME 1), the post-release DA DLC has been pretty disappointing outside of Awakening and Leiliana. Don't blame me if the choice at the end of Witch Hunt doesn't affect DA the same way choices in ME 1 affected ME 2, I'm just stating what Bioware has said.

[/QUOTE]

I know that when you wrote that, it only covered the DLC out. Sorry if anyone was confused. I updated the OP and my link as soon as I noticed you updated your reviews.

I have spent 10 minutes in DA:O, so I appreciate someone who spent the time with it sharing their experience. I only mentioned to leave you alone, because I didn't want posts of "OMG!! wut abt witch hunt??" and then you getting nasty PMs, despite adding something to the thread. :D

[quote name='reddjoey']I know that when you wrote that, it only covered the DLC out. Sorry if anyone was confused. I updated the OP and my link as soon as I noticed you updated your reviews.

I have spent 10 minutes in DA:O, so I appreciate someone who spent the time with it sharing their experience. I only mentioned to leave you alone, because I didn't want posts of "OMG!! wut abt witch hunt??" and then you getting nasty PMs, despite adding something to the thread. :D[/QUOTE]

No problem. Thanks for letting me know about the EA sale having the DA DLC, I needed to update that post anyway.

[quote name='Blade3D']Rock Band DLC not on sale anymore[/QUOTE]

And Offspring still hasn't gone on sale. Those bitches for lying about it getting fixed. :bomb:

Just purchased both DeathSpank games. I'm down to 60 msp after I bought those along with PvZ and both Assault Heroes games yesterday.

I'm debating buying Microbot. I tried the demo out and the pace is much slower when compared to Assault Heroes. The ship is a bit hard to control and the weapons are toned down but the game is just fascinating to me. I should be stocking up on points soon (buying them on the cheap with Kmart coupon/RZ certificates) so I'll see. Here's to ever-growing XBLA backlogs.

[quote name='prayformojo']BF 1943 still active? Can you get in full matches?[/QUOTE]

Several people have already answered that in the last page or two. Good job asking without reading though.

[quote name='prayformojo']BF 1943 still active? Can you get in full matches?[/QUOTE]
as has been posted by a few people already, yes. i just played again last night for an hour or so and had no problems finding a game and i was playing with a friend. we ended up in one game where so many people quit/disconnected that it ended up being 2 on 2 so we quit out of that and the game we joined was already 10 on 10.

[quote name='eastx']Several people have already answered that in the last page or two. Good job asking without reading though.[/QUOTE]

What about the servers, do you think those will be closed anytime soon, this is EA after all?

[quote name='prayformojo']What about the servers, do you think those will be closed anytime soon, this is EA after all?[/QUOTE]

That's been addressed as well

[quote name='prayformojo']What about the servers, do you think those will be closed anytime soon, this is EA after all?[/QUOTE]

Its unlikely they'll go down soon, but there's no way to tell when.

Would be really nice if EA decided to, oh I don't know, drop DLC costs on games like Tiger 09/10, Madden 09/10, NHL 08/09/10, etc.... and all DLC for all of their games prior to 2010. Why just drop costs on new DLC when some of us still have games in our possession from over a year ago. Not everybody flips/sells their used games. Just a thought.

Lots of sports and Dragon Age DLC on sale = meh (Don't get me wrong, already installed the DLC off DA GOTY and sold off that package, keeping the DLC on my HD for use with my collector's edition :D)

Both Deathspanks and Microbot on sale merely weeks after coming out = good use of my free 1600 points card from buying BFBC2:UE at Kmart.

[quote name='lordopus99']And Offspring still hasn't gone on sale. Those bitches for lying about it getting fixed. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

So it looks like the really fell thru on that sale price of that offspring pack ? :(

does anyone have an idea of when torchlight is coming out? its the only game i see that remotely interests me. ive been waiting for a good diablo clone for 360

It's part of House Party which kicks off Feb 16th with Hard Corps Uprising, so it will be out on either the 23rd or the first two weeks of March

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back