XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RollingSkull']Still cannot bring myself to like Bangai O, and this is after about four or so separate attempts to play the DS game (Not four boot ups, four different time frame attempts to like it spanning days of it being on my play cycle.).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hM8N6Xr1Hg[/QUOTE]

I never tried the DS version but I loved the original on DC... I ended up getting the XBLA release today. If you're a fan of the first one on DC then you will be pleased with Missile Fury. It's fun trying to stress the 360 to its breaking point. I put about an hour into it so far and I'm having a blast.

If you didn't like the first game then there isn't anything here to change your mind. Just more of the same missile shooting madness.

It's not for everybody, but early Treasure fans are gonna eat this game up ;)

[quote name='sp8001']It's not for everybody, but early Treasure fans are gonna eat this game up ;)[/QUOTE]That would explain why I enjoy it. I'm a big fan of Treasure games. Speaking of Treasure...

[quote name='Rollobobo']GUARDIAN HEROES IS COMING OUT FOR XBOX LIVE ARACDE!!!![/QUOTE]I cannot wait to get this, along with Radiant Silvergun. Hoping this means we'll see some other Saturn games hitting as well.

[quote name='Zonic505']
I cannot wait to get this, along with Radiant Silvergun. Hoping this means we'll see some other Saturn games hitting as well.[/QUOTE]

If they release all 3 parts of Shining Force 3 in English on XBLA I will buy a ticket to Japan and personally give every Sega employee a big wet kiss.....before I get arrested. ;)

Cant wait for Guardian Heroes, didnt play much of the original, but i loved the GBA version.

As for Shining Force, im still surprised we havent even atleast gotten a stand alone release of the first one on XBLA.

On a side note, i havent brought Bangai yet, but i loved the DS Version, and i have been hearing good things about this from a friend.

[quote name='ooga']If they release all 3 parts of Shining Force 3 in English on XBLA I will buy a ticket to Japan and personally give every Sega employee a big wet kiss.....before I get arrested. ;)[/QUOTE]

me too
you dont want to know what I would do if we got panzer dragoon, panzer dragoon zwei, panzer dragoon saga, and dragon force

We don't know anything about future sales or releases at the moment. I've also noticed that the monthly price drops haven't been revealed yet.

[quote name='Zonic505']We don't know anything about future sales or releases at the moment. I've also noticed that the monthly price drops haven't been revealed yet.[/QUOTE]

Last month MS didn't post them on the dashboard until about the 10th. Kind of a joke, but they've shown they hate to drop the price of anything on Xbox Live.

Overall i think we have not known next week's sale going in, it is only recently that they started regularly announcing them ahead of time. (as in like the last 6 months maybe?) My guess, they have found announcing a sale early causes a sharp decline in sales of a game or DLC right from the announcement till the sale.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Overall i think we have not known next week's sale going in, it is only recently that they started regularly announcing them ahead of time. (as in like the last 6 months maybe?) My guess, they have found announcing a sale early causes a sharp decline in sales of a game or DLC right from the announcement till the sale.[/QUOTE]

I think MS does pretty well financially on the sales... They seem to be more frequent then they have in the past, specifically to non-gold members. Hopefully they will keep announcing them ahead of time.

I have bought a bunch of games on sale that I wouldn't have even considered at full price. I'm sure a lot of other gamers are in the same boat as me.

[quote name='vamn']I just got SOTN. After playing through it a bit, I have to say that whoever it was (too lazy to scour the old posts looking for it, sorry) that said it was like a beta version of the DS games is absolutely right. I mean, it's a fun game and all, but the gameplay isn't nearly as smooth and it feels like there are important parts missing.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that SOTN predates the first DS Castlevania game by almost 9 years, right? Naturally, the newer games are going to have more polish, but SOTN is still highly regarded for being the major evolution in the series. The DS games merely copied the formula and benefited with the passage of nearly a decade in game design. Guess you had to play SOTN before the DS titles to fully appreciate it, but at 400 points it's still one of the best values on XBLA at the moment.

[quote name='crookshow']You do realize that SOTN predates the first DS Castlevania game by almost 9 years, right? Naturally, the newer games are going to have more polish, but SOTN is still highly regarded for being the major evolution in the series. The DS games merely copied the formula and benefited with the passage of nearly a decade in game design. Guess you had to play SOTN before the DS titles to fully appreciate it, but at 400 points it's still one of the best values on XBLA at the moment.[/QUOTE]

That's still a matter of opinion. I still play SOTN every once in a while for nostalgia's sake, but I would definitely not find myself pouring hundreds of hours into it when there are so many other things to play.

[quote name='crookshow']You do realize that SOTN predates the first DS Castlevania game by almost 9 years, right? Naturally, the newer games are going to have more polish, but SOTN is still highly regarded for being the major evolution in the series. The DS games merely copied the formula and benefited with the passage of nearly a decade in game design.[/QUOTE]

You could say the same thing going from Simon's Quest on to SOTN. ;)

[quote name='sp8001']I think MS does pretty well financially on the sales... They seem to be more frequent then they have in the past, specifically to non-gold members. Hopefully they will keep announcing them ahead of time.

I have bought a bunch of games on sale that I wouldn't have even considered at full price. I'm sure a lot of other gamers are in the same boat as me.[/QUOTE]

Though not a DOTW sale, I picked up Super Meat Boy because it was marked down initially and I never would have considered it had I not had a "oh what the hell" moment and picked it up before they raised the price. Best impulse buy I have made in recent memory and my 2010 GOTY.

I also picked up Shadow Complex when it went down and I honestly didn't see myself getting back into side scrolling adventures at the time. Now I look forward to side scrolling XBLA games more than retail releases.

Hell, I just picked up Golden Axe recently for 200 points (half off) and can't believe how well it had held up for me after all these years.

I should have picked up Scott Pilgrim when it was 400, big miss on my part (ok, only $5, but still), but it's good enough to pick up for 800.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Cant wait for Guardian Heroes, didnt play much of the original, but i loved the GBA version.

On a side note, i havent brought Bangai yet, but i loved the DS Version, and i have been hearing good things about this from a friend.[/QUOTE]

The GBA version of Guardian Heroes is VERY different from the original versions, at least mechanically. They are still ridiculously over-the-top beat-em-ups, with wild juggle combos replacing the meaty satisfaction of pounding people of Golden Axe/SoR/DD or the button mashing chaos of Castle Crashers, but the GBA game had all that sci fi stuff and the movesets were just wildly different, like comparing Dissidia to Street Fighter. Thankfully, controls were simplified for the GBA version, a good improvement. Both good, but I wonder what the XBLA version will favor.

The DS version and the Xbox version of Bangai-O seem very, very similar.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The GBA version of Guardian Heroes is VERY different from the original versions, at least mechanically. They are still ridiculously over-the-top beat-em-ups, with wild juggle combos replacing the meaty satisfaction of pounding people, but the GBA game had all that sci fi stuff and the movesets were just wildly different, like comparing Dissidia to Street Fighter. Thankfully, controls were simplified for the GBA version, a good improvement. Both good, but I wonder what the XBLA version will favor.

The DS version and the Xbox version of Bangai-O seem very, very similar.[/QUOTE]

Ah, wasnt aware they were that different. Hardly knew anyone that even owned a Sega Saturn. And i was a kid, so i couldnt just go and buy one XD.

All the bosses in GHA were actually the protagonists in the original GH and part of the incomprehensible plot involved them being resurrected and turned evil against their will or whatever.

The first game was swords and sorcery, Slayers type stuff, with enough nonsense branching paths to lead you into 7 or so different nonsense endings.

I tended to want to choose the paths that avoided fighting the wizard dickweed because he was a giant fricken turd.

Here's a video of GH gameplay. Cut in about 8 minutes for a boss fight against Valgar, the game's resident badass with a badass theme and probably only the second biggest life-sucking asshole you can have the misfortune of fighting depending on the story path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U5PqInxXaQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=491s

[quote name='crookshow']You do realize that SOTN predates the first DS Castlevania game by almost 9 years, right? Naturally, the newer games are going to have more polish, but SOTN is still highly regarded for being the major evolution in the series. The DS games merely copied the formula and benefited with the passage of nearly a decade in game design. Guess you had to play SOTN before the DS titles to fully appreciate it, but at 400 points it's still one of the best values on XBLA at the moment.[/QUOTE]
It's highly regarded as a period piece, one of nostalgia. You don't have to get so defensive if mechanically it does not hold up well to later, better games. This isn't Mario 3 vs. Mario World. Apart from the theme and story, the DS vanias were a marked improvement. And THEY had three iterations of GBA Vanias to operate off of in addition to SotN. Nobody goes back to Wolf 3D just because it was the first.

Doom, on the other hand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

[quote name='seanr1221']SotN's castle, bosses, and enemies shit all over the DS Castlevanias.[/QUOTE]
SAY THAT TO MY FACE NOT ONLINE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

And since the DS vanias all reused pretty much all the enemies SotN did, you have an interesting stance there.

[quote name='seanr1221']No one is getting defense. Calm down.[/QUOTE]
SHUT UP YOU DICK JERK ASS I WILL BEAT THE TAR OUT OF YOU HOW DARE YOU DEFEND SOTN AND ATTACK MY PRECIOUS CASTLEVANIAS I AM SO MAD AAAAAAAAGH DAMN YOU MAY ALL YOUR SONS MARRY CAMELS YOU TASTELESS ZIT

;p

Ah, im not really a fan of emulation unless theres just no way for me to find the actual game. Guess i might have to look into it for this one.

Either way, hopefully they dont screw up this one. The 12 player options seems pretty awesome, and playing the Vs Mode on the GBA game was always a favorite of mine.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Ah, im not really a fan of emulation unless theres just no way for me to find the actual game. Guess i might have to look into it for this one.

Either way, hopefully they dont screw up this one. The 12 player options seems pretty awesome, and playing the Vs Mode on the GBA game was always a favorite of mine.[/QUOTE]

GH's original VS mode was very solid. Check some youtube videos of it.

Note that Treasure made the DS Bleach fighting games and, at times, if you squinted JUST right, they would feel like the original GH vs modes. They were quality products, too. Hell, the versus mode menus looked EXACTLY like Guardian Heroes Advance's versus mode menu.

[quote name='RollingSkull']GH's original VS mode was very solid. Check some youtube videos of it.

Note that Treasure made the DS Bleach fighting games and, at times, if you squinted JUST right, they would feel like the original GH vs modes. They were quality products, too. Hell, the versus mode menus looked EXACTLY like Guardian Heroes Advance's versus mode menu.[/QUOTE]

Meh, i never really liked those Bleach games. The characters were so unbalanced

[quote name='sp8001']I think MS does pretty well financially on the sales... They seem to be more frequent then they have in the past, specifically to non-gold members. Hopefully they will keep announcing them ahead of time.

I have bought a bunch of games on sale that I wouldn't have even considered at full price. I'm sure a lot of other gamers are in the same boat as me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they don't do well on the sales, that's why they continue to do them, what I'm saying is, well lets put it in a hypothetical; Microsoft decides they are going to put Castlevania HOD on sale. That game probably sells a fairly average number of units every week, when it goes on sale it probably sees at least three times as many sales, but when they announce what the sale is going to be a week prior I imagine that they see a sharp decline in sales for that week leading up to the sale. Basically, week 1 = average sales, week 2 (upcoming sale announced) = significantly below average sales, week 3 (sale week) significantly above average sales at a lower price. Why would people buy a game they know is going to be on sale next week? Microsoft, and the developers, would rather sell another average weeks worth of titles at full price, and then see a sale boost caused by a sale (A factor likely to happen regardless if they tell people a week ahead of time or not), than those same purchases be made for an average of half the price.

To go further, lets sale that in an average week, Castlevania HOD sells 100 units at $10 each. ($1000) The week before the sale, but when the coming sale is known, they only sell 20 units at $10 each. ($200) The week of the sale, they sell 3 times the average amount of units per week, but for $5 each. ($1500). With these totally made up numbers, they actually make less money in the three week period, despite a significant increase for one week. Now obviously, if the decline isn't so significant, and the sales during the sale week is more significant, this could throw it all off. But either way, they would rather sell more units at full price before the sale than not.

you are assuming that 80% of the people that would have bought it knew of the upcoming sale I would imagine that it is more likely to be 20%

Most game sales drop off dramatically after each successive week upon release. I'd wager this is 10 fold for digital download games.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute I'd like to counter your theory with another: By giving customers advance notice it gives them time to save/gather funds to prepare for the upcoming sale. Who among us does not start ferreting away extra cash in preperation for Black Friday? I usually start socking away extra cash in September. I'm going to start earlier this year and see if I can't just go hog wild when the time comes. I missed the Star Trek Next Gen complete box set last year because I didn't have the ~$60 for it. Now it's back to ~$300. Not going to miss that one again. There's a reason why I like to keep at least a 10k msp balance on my account. I don't ever want to miss a sale.

Since "new" arcade games never go on sale I doubt advance notice takes much, if any at all, away from sales otherwise. How many of us bought Final Fight Double Impact while it was on sale and would not have otherwise? You can count me among those. It's been out a very long time and I'd wager it had more sales in that one week than it did in the last 6 months.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Most game sales drop off dramatically after each successive week upon release. I'd wager this is 10 fold for digital download games.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute I'd like to counter your theory with another: By giving customers advance notice it gives them time to save/gather funds to prepare for the upcoming sale. Who among us does not start ferreting away extra cash in preperation for Black Friday? I usually start socking away extra cash in September. I'm going to start earlier this year and see if I can't just go hog wild when the time comes. I missed the Star Trek Next Gen complete box set last year because I didn't have the ~$60 for it. Now it's back to ~$300. Not going to miss that one again. There's a reason why I like to keep at least a 10k msp balance on my account. I don't ever want to miss a sale.

Since "new" arcade games never go on sale I doubt advance notice takes much, if any at all, away from sales otherwise. How many of us bought Final Fight Double Impact while it was on sale and would not have otherwise? You can count me among those. It's been out a very long time and I'd wager it had more sales in that one week than it did in the last 6 months.[/QUOTE]

The same thought could be applied the other way around. There are those customers who wont know to save and if they are short on points, they end up having to buy more if a game they have been eyeing goes on sale.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']

Since "new" arcade games never go on sale I doubt advance notice takes much, if any at all, away from sales otherwise. How many of us bought Final Fight Double Impact while it was on sale and would not have otherwise? You can count me among those. It's been out a very long time and I'd wager it had more sales in that one week than it did in the last 6 months.[/QUOTE]

Once august hits I no longer spend over 40 for a game and try not to buy any electronics, games, and movies unless its a great deal.
I never buy xbox arcade games or dlc at full price anymore unless it has great multiplayer. I have enough game disc I haven't beat to keep me occupied for months so I can wait for a sale. Its mostly because of the 1200 price point of most games but also tired of me buying something and it going half off a couple weeks after I decide to get it.

[quote name='BudzMcGee'] But either way, they would rather sell more units at full price before the sale than not.[/QUOTE]

Well said... I wish I knew the sales numbers, but if I had to guess I would say a game on sale for any given week sells 25x-50x (maybe even as high as 100x) more copies than the previous week at full price (given the game is around 4-6 months old)

Yes, my numbers were pulled completely from my ass as I stated before, but the same general principle, and mostly likely general trends do apply. If a game is on sale, and you really want to buy said game, most users will go and get points to do so. Keep in mind that the average gamer is not a frequent CAG, and didn't buy 5 4000 point cards at half price "for the future sales." They buy 1600 point cards when they need them, or they just buy 400 points directly through Xbox when something they want is on sale. Considering the sales go for a week, there is more than enough time to purchase points, and being able to do so directly through the Xbox doesn't eliminate impulse buys. I've had countless friends buy games the week or two before sales as well, and wouldn't have done so if the sale had been announced.

I also think people keep confusing my theory that a game sees a decline in units sold the week before a previously announced deal, with the idea that games don't sell as well during a deal of the week, which we know to not be true, they sell significantly more during the sale. My guess would be that the games on sale in the DOTW sell about as well whether they announce ahead of time or not. Why do I say that? Because if all things are the same and no other factors influenced it, if games sold more with advance notice they would make sure to always announce upcoming deals ahead of time. Microsoft is a business and would obviously take the route to more sales/more money.

I think the black Friday analogy better applies to the one day sales, in which case, yes, it makes sense to announce them early since it is a short sale. The DOTW is more like the weekly ads from Target or Best Buy. Yes, on CAG you might see them early, but 99% of the public never knows if the item they are about to buy in store will be on sale next week or not.

That being said, I understand why they wouldn't announce the weekly sales ahead of time, but I'm right there with you guys wishing we knew what the next 3 weeks of sales were.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Because if all things are the same and no other factors influenced it, if games sold more with advance notice they would make sure to always announce upcoming deals ahead of time. Microsoft is a business and would obviously take the route to more sales/more money.[/QUOTE]

Really overanalyzing this. We do get notice about upcoming deals, often.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Still wondering if I should go after Castlevania HD at 600, or wait for another sale...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been on the fence but decided this morning I'll go for it and at least Chapters 10 and 11 DLC. You're on my friends list so if you buy it, I'm down for playing newb style as I hear many public games are full of guys who'll just run right past you and wreck shop.

[quote name='bsmiff']Yeah I've been on the fence but decided this morning I'll go for it and at least Chapters 10 and 11 DLC. You're on my friends list so if you buy it, I'm down for playing newb style as I hear many public games are full of guys who'll just run right past you and wreck shop.[/QUOTE]

I picked up HoD during the winter sales and am finally looking to start it. bsmiff, you're also on my list already so we should get something going. If anyone else wants to get a friendly game going send us FRs.

[quote name='gubmccargen']I picked up HoD during the winter sales and am finally looking to start it. bsmiff, you're also on my list already so we should get something going. If anyone else wants to get a friendly game going send us FRs.[/QUOTE]

Count me in. I also bought it during the last sale but I did play it right away. I've played about 10 hours worth and lost interest a little. With the maps on sale my interest is rekindled a bit and would love to get some time in. Still looking to do that 4 skelly boss fight achievement.

I'm looking for people to play Castlevania with too. I'm adding a few of you from recent pages. To anyone who I don't send a request...please add me. It seems like it is really hard to find a game if you are starting out.

Edit: My gamertag is Urchin80

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back