XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DaGrandMastah']Is NBA Jam On Fire a standalone download or is it an addon to the existing game?[/QUOTE]

It's a XBLA game, not DLC.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']PSO was an MMO for it's day. At least that's what we called it. But yes, by today's definition of an MMO it's definitely not. But a room filled with people was enough for us way back when. Online could not possibly support hundreds, if not thousands, of players like it can now.[/QUOTE]

You mean way back when as in the time after Everquest was already released?

[quote name='Kaltic']You mean way back when as in the time after Everquest was already released?[/QUOTE]

Good old EQ. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Still, I can't be the only person that calls PSO an MMO. It is one in a loose use of the term. Perhaps you would prefer I drop the first M? ;)

Also keep in mind this was a console game. Internet connectivity was significantly more limited on consoles then compared to pc.

[quote name='Surreal_Sunshine']You pay a monthly fee to play online with other people. To me that's an MMO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game[/QUOTE]

Another good point. IIRC PSO was the first console game to have a subscription. Not popular but at least it was cheaper than others.

Also that wiki specifically mentions PSO as an MMORPG so please give me a break. I know wikis aren't always perfect but it does seem the general consensus is that PSO is an MMO.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Good old EQ. Hard to believe it was that long ago. Still, I can't be the only person that calls PSO an MMO. It is one in a loose use of the term. Perhaps you would prefer I drop the first M? ;)

Also keep in mind this was a console game. Internet connectivity was significantly more limited on consoles then compared to pc.[/QUOTE]

So you've always called it the wrong thing. Even the Wikipedia page cites it as an online multiplayer RPG, without the massive. But this is your opportunity to turn that around, Chrono! It's an important moments in your life, man. J/K.

IMO PSO doesn't meet all of the qualifications of an MMO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and usually feature at least one persistent world.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world.

I guess it's just a semantic debate though.

[quote name='Surreal_Sunshine']You pay a monthly fee to play online with other people. To me that's an MMO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game[/QUOTE]

Does that mean that free to play games like Maple Story aren't MMOs?

[quote name='eastx']I guess it's just a semantic debate though.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It seemed to fit the description to me, and many others. If there is to be a hard line drawn on the term somone needs to come up with a player count as a requirement I guess. Until then I'll stand by it as an early form of MMO.

I realize, though, of course it does not meet all the requirements by today's standards to be classified as an MMO. There in lies the debate as we didn't know what to call it at the time and thus simply referred to it as one being seemingly close enough. Since the game is long gone it really is seemingly a pointless debate that I thought had been settled long ago.

[quote name='eastx']So you've always called it the wrong thing. Even the Wikipedia page cites it as an online multiplayer RPG, without the massive. But this is your opportunity to turn that around, Chrono! It's an important moments in your life, man. J/K.

IMO PSO doesn't meet all of the qualifications of an MMO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

I guess it's just a semantic debate though.

Does that mean that free to play games like Maple Quest aren't MMOs?[/QUOTE]

I guessed you missed the bit on the MMO page where they specifically cite PSO as an example.
http://marker.to/B6Jbvr

And, no, I didn't mean that free MMOs are not MMos. I was giving an example of why I considered PSO to be part of the genre, not a complete definition of the genre.

WOW. FINALLY they put the Oblivion horse armor on sale. The price is low enough now that I can justify... still not buying it. Ever.

Seriously, it has been said before and I will say it again: Bethesda, this is the biggest travesty of downloadable content I have ever seen. You should be ashamed. And from comments you have previously made to the press regarding this DLC, I am glad you are ashamed. The discount needs to be 100% to be in the ballpark of reasonable. The fact that it was priced higher than other actual game content is beyond reason.

[quote name='Surreal_Sunshine']I guessed you missed the bit on the MMO page where they specifically cite PSO as an example.
http://marker.to/B6Jbvr

And, no, I didn't mean that free MMOs are not MMos. I was giving an example of why I considered PSO to be part of the genre, not a complete definition of the genre.[/QUOTE]

Well, all it takes one person who thinks it falls into that genre to stick it into the article. But yeah, no point arguing it.

[quote name='bardockkun']That's been on sale like two or three times already I believe.[/QUOTE]
I didn't have a 360.

[quote name='eldergias']WOW. FINALLY they put the Oblivion horse armor on sale. The price is low enough now that I can justify... still not buying it. Ever.

Seriously, it has been said before and I will say it again: Bethesda, this is the biggest travesty of downloadable content I have ever seen. You should be ashamed. And from comments you have previously made to the press regarding this DLC, I am glad you are ashamed. The discount needs to be 100% to be in the ballpark of reasonable. The fact that it was priced higher than other actual game content is beyond reason.[/QUOTE]

Fun fact:
Rare released the "Winter Warrior Pack" DLC for Kameo: Elements of Power on the 14th of November 2005. A pack of outfits for the price of... 200 Microsoft points... a full four months before Oblivion was even released.

[quote name='eldergias']WOW. FINALLY they put the Oblivion horse armor on sale. The price is low enough now that I can justify... still not buying it. Ever.

Seriously, it has been said before and I will say it again: Bethesda, this is the biggest travesty of downloadable content I have ever seen. You should be ashamed. And from comments you have previously made to the press regarding this DLC, I am glad you are ashamed. The discount needs to be 100% to be in the ballpark of reasonable. The fact that it was priced higher than other actual game content is beyond reason.[/QUOTE]

"Biggest travesty"? So we're not counting Epic and the GOW3 skins, then...?

Yeah but that's Kameo. Nobody cares about Kameo.

The NBA Jam console releases felt like I was paying too much for too much NBA Jam. Just having the demo of NBA Jam:OFE is the full amount of NBA Jam I am willing to play at a price I feel the gameplay is worth.

Sorry, but if there is a Offline version of a game it's not a MMO bro.

It's just a RPG that can be played Co-Op online.

Also, Everquest came out in 1999, that's a example of a MMO.

Sorry, but it's not a matter of semantics. And the first person to cite Wikipedia automatically loses any argument. :p

[quote name='Slermy']Fun fact:
Rare released the "Winter Warrior Pack" DLC for Kameo: Elements of Power on the 14th of November 2005. A pack of outfits for the price of... 200 Microsoft points... a full four months before Oblivion was even released.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't get the hate Bethesda takes over this. There are car companies that will charge you a little extra for certain paint colors or schemes. Dell will charge you extra for certain color laptop casings. They add just as much to their product as game skins.

And not only has Kameo done it before, but quite a companies have done it afterwards. Team Ninja, BioWare, Capcom, etc. There's time, effort and more importantly cost put into these products. So either pay up or don't.

People are still outraged/making jokes about the horse armor? Guess they must go absolute batshit crazy about avatar DLC.

[quote name='salty tbone']People are still outraged/making jokes about the horse armor? Guess they must go absolute batshit crazy about avatar DLC.[/QUOTE]

Something that's totally optional costs more than I think it should, is this not worthy of my rage?!

In for Honest Hearts Fallout NV, why aren't the last few packs on sale? I'll just have to wait it out for those, I guess.

[quote name='Solder']Sorry, but if there is a Offline version of a game it's not a MMO bro.

It's just a RPG that can be played Co-Op online.

Also, Everquest came out in 1999, that's a example of a MMO.

Sorry, but it's not a matter of semantics. And the first person to cite Wikipedia automatically loses any argument. :p[/QUOTE]

People arguing over the internet is an automatic loss in life. :lol:

Thanks OP, I picked up Carcassonne. I'm just interested in the offline multi; Microsoft can go fuck itself with its "we'll bill you for Gold 9 days before your time is up" bullshit.

[quote name='Blade']People arguing over the internet is an automatic loss in life. :lol:

Thanks OP, I picked up Carcassonne. I'm just interested in the offline multi; Microsoft can go fuck itself with its "we'll bill you for Gold 9 days before your time is up" bullshit.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Anyhow, if the DLC for Carcassonne ever goes on sale, make sure to grab it. The River tiles, and King & Baron rules really make the game much more interesting.

I already bought Dead Money, apparently. I guess there was a sale at some point.
Picked up Honest Hearts. Next week, I'm getting that Saint's Row 2 dlc. Very timely before SR3.

[quote name='Calinks']What is the best DLC for New Vegas? I will buy one.[/QUOTE]
Their "goodness" is roughly the same, both coming up at about 7 out of 10.

Dead Money is a linear romp which is very good but has some very annoying factors bring it down to 7. Honest Hearts is a more open, explorey romp which doesn't ever get too good, but just about reaches a 7.

Linear or explorey? You decide!

[quote name='Solder']Anyhow, if the DLC for Carcassonne ever goes on sale, make sure to grab it. The River tiles, and King & Baron rules really make the game much more interesting.[/QUOTE]I really wish that Microsoft would put arcade game DLC on sale along with the game whenver it is a DOTW... Carcassonne is 400 points but both DLC together are 600 :whistle2:#

[quote name='JordanPlayer']I really wish that Microsoft would put arcade game DLC on sale along with the game whenver it is a DOTW... Carcassonne is 400 points but both DLC together are 600 :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I'd also been willing to pick up the DLC had it gone on sale, but MS seems to be happy with taking the razorblade business model approach with their sales.

I wish they'd just release more of the expansions for Carcassonne. It feels like a dead app with it only having King and Baron and especially The River II, which has tiles that tie into other expansions such as Inns & Cathedrals. Oh well.

[quote name='Star_Scream']In for Honest Hearts Fallout NV, why aren't the last few packs on sale? I'll just have to wait it out for those, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Well the 4th one just came out like 2 weeks ago to be fair. I would expect both of the last 2 packs to go on sale around Christmas time.

Yes!! Shadow Complex on sale! Been wanting this one for a long time. Will very excitedly cash some points in for this one.

I realize opinions on last week's sales are mostly moot at this point, but I wanted to quickly share my opinions...

I enjoyed the demos for Outland and Moon Diver (more so than Blade Kitten), just not as much as Shank, so I went with that one. I really wanted to like Outland, but I just wasn't feeling it. Moon Diver was fun to play with my 5 year old son, but I bought him Maw to play instead.

Serious Sam actually translated well to the console, but I've played through both encounters on the PC, and I have enough FPS games to keep me occupied (although Doom and Quake are tempting me this week). Section 8 was also pretty good. I found it more enjoyable than Monday Night Combat.

My son also enjoyed Ghostbusters, but I'm waiting for the Alien Breed games (and a couple other "twin stick action like" games) to go on sale (again).

I did grab Trouble Witches Neo to itch that kind of scratch, and I was actually real close to getting Yar's Revenge despite (perhaps because of?) the challenging controls. I may have to buy it when/if it goes on sale again.

Torchlight is a very good game, but those types just aren't my thing. Same with Wakfu... That's all I remember from the last sale.

This week i downloaded the demos for Doom and Quake, but i already have quake and
Doom for the PC and Doom with the Xbox original Doom 3 collectors disc. I'm guessing there won't be a compelling enough reason to double dip.... I'll probably check out Catan out of a feeling of obligation.

[quote name='ZForce915']What I'd like is a sale on those Ticket to Ride expansions. I'd buy them both at any discount.[/QUOTE]

I caved and picked them both up a month ago. They are high priced but if you enjoy Ticket to Ride then it would be worth it.

[quote name='vamn']"Biggest travesty"? So we're not counting Epic and the GOW3 skins, then...?[/QUOTE]

Or the (I thought) infamous Beautiful Katamari DLC that was not only already on the disc, but also required players to purchase to get all of the game's achievements?

[quote name='akathatoneguy']Or the (I thought) infamous Beautiful Katamari DLC that was not only already on the disc, but also required players to purchase to get all of the game's achievements?[/QUOTE]

Katamari had a opening MSRP of $39.99 and 20 bucks worth of levels to buy as DLC at least.

We're big Katamari fans in this household, and I was irked at the cost of buying levels but got more than my 60 bucks worth of gaming (well my wife did mainly).

[quote name='Solder']Katamari had a opening MSRP of $39.99 and 20 bucks worth of levels to buy as DLC at least.

We're big Katamari fans in this household, and I was irked at the cost of buying levels but got more than my 60 bucks worth of gaming (well my wife did mainly).[/QUOTE]

The saddest fucking thing about this console generation is how much it's failed at keeping up with alternative pricing structures. Pretty much every single attempt at doing something that isn't a $60 brick of shit has been met with complete consumer pushback. $30 Banjo/Viva? No thanks. Episodic GTA DLC? Go away. Discount prices supplemented by gated content? "OMG ITS ON DISC AHHHHHHHHHHHREFEFEFEFE *fart noises*."

It's absurd. Compared to phone/pc gaming, consoles are in the fucking ghetto. I mean, XBLIG for all intents and porpoises is the App Store. But it doesn't catch on because... it's slightly harder to navigate than other interfaces? F2P is setting off wildfires on PC, and the Microsoft answer is... Crimson Alliance. Even the half-assed attempt at including a vanity cash shop in Gears of War 3 made people go out of their damn minds.

Too much talk about Charmander in this thread.

But on topic, I am kinda tempted on the FO:NV dlc, but will hold off in hopes of a GotY. Also, I haven't even started FO3 yet, so New Vegas isn't anything I'm going to be playing anytime soon.

[quote name='Gertle627']Too much talk about Charmander in this thread.
[/QUOTE]

s614qd.jpg

[quote name='Coltin']There can never be too much Charmander talk.

Also, how many people still play Catan online?[/QUOTE]

Played a couple games online tonight and had no trouble finding a game pretty quick each time. First evening I've had to do so since picking it up on sale, but based on this seems to be still active. Anyone know if Carcassonne is any good for mutliplayer?

[quote name='Gertle627']Too much talk about Charmander in this thread.
[/QUOTE]
What are you a Squir-...Oh. This is awkward.
[quote name='Coltin']There can never be too much Charmander talk.
[/QUOTE]
I Do agree with this.

And Fallout: New Vegas I always have a weird feeling will go to 200 points for a one day sale come Holiday season. Basically taking the place of Mass Effect 2 deal last year.

[quote name='Coltin']

Also, how many people still play Catan online?[/QUOTE]

I picked it up yesterday and played a practice round. I still need to get accustomed to the game's mechanics. Anyone want to be invited to a game so I can chalk off an achievement? I don't have any friends that have catan. :whistle2:x

[quote name='djbooba']If anyone sees me on Live, feel free to invite me to play Catan[/QUOTE]

cool. Sent you a friend request. Thanks for the help

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']The saddest fucking thing about this console generation is how much it's failed at keeping up with alternative pricing structures. Pretty much every single attempt at doing something that isn't a $60 brick of shit has been met with complete consumer pushback. $30 Banjo/Viva? No thanks. Episodic GTA DLC? Go away. Discount prices supplemented by gated content? "OMG ITS ON DISC AHHHHHHHHHHHREFEFEFEFE *fart noises*."

It's absurd. Compared to phone/pc gaming, consoles are in the fucking ghetto. I mean, XBLIG for all intents and porpoises is the App Store. But it doesn't catch on because... it's slightly harder to navigate than other interfaces? F2P is setting off wildfires on PC, and the Microsoft answer is... Crimson Alliance. Even the half-assed attempt at including a vanity cash shop in Gears of War 3 made people go out of their damn minds.[/QUOTE]

I do agree. Many console gamers' minds just cannot handle DLC in any way shape or form. Thankfully the majority doesn't seem to mind, but we always have to read the crazy complaints here and in other forums.

And speaking of not knowing how to handle DLC....

I bought Magic 2012 and I was wondering the deal was with the deck keys? Do they unlock stuff that would normally unlock during the game? Or is it all extra stuff?

[quote name='eastx']I do agree. Many console gamers' minds just cannot handle DLC in any way shape or form. Thankfully the majority doesn't seem to mind, but we always have to read the crazy complaints here and in other forums.[/QUOTE]

Most DLC can suck my balls. Things that are included in the full game but rendered off-limits by the developers unless you spend an extra $15--Fable, Crimson Alliance, and so on--are just cheap marketing ploys. Same goes for content that could've been added before release, but were held back and offered later, like some of the maps in the Gears and COD franchises. In my opinion, the only company that gets DLC right is Valve, with its completely free DLC distribution to L4D2 players on Steam.

[quote name='vamn']And speaking of not knowing how to handle DLC....

I bought Magic 2012 and I was wondering the deal was with the deck keys? Do they unlock stuff that would normally unlock during the game? Or is it all extra stuff?[/QUOTE]

You can unlock everything by winning games with each deck. It takes a while, but can be done completely without paying for anything. (I recommend fighting against the green deck if you want an almost assured win)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back