XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really interested in Symphony of Night. I understand it's a remake. Is it like more modern Castlevanias, with save points? I played Dawn of Sorrow on DS and was hoping it was somewhat similar.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm really interested in Symphony of Night. I understand it's a remake. Is it like more modern Castlevanias, with save points? I played Dawn of Sorrow on DS and was hoping it was somewhat similar.[/QUOTE]

Symphony of the Night is the start of the "Metroidvania/Castleroid" movement in the series. Save Points, teleport rooms, breakable walls, RPG elements, and all of those goodies that persist in the GBA and DS Castlevanias are all there. I'd say that if you enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow, you'll dig SotN.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm really interested in Symphony of Night. I understand it's a remake. Is it like more modern Castlevanias, with save points? I played Dawn of Sorrow on DS and was hoping it was somewhat similar.[/QUOTE]

It's actually not a "remake" if you will. It's more or less a straight port of the original version. Probably the PS1 version but I can't be certain.

It is the first Castlevania game to feature the "MetroidVania" style you are familiar with from Dawn of Sarrow (

SotN is just a straight port of the original PS1 game. It's the first Metroidvania game. Every single once since then has been practically a carbon copy of SotN and the amount of reused assets, bosses in previous games showing up as normal enemies later, etc is staggering. You're in for a treat to see precisely how much and how shamelessly the Castlevania series has milked that formula.

SotN remains a fan favorite. Does it deserve it? Eh, I can't really say one way or another. It felt, to me, like a less polished beta of Dawn of Sorrow. The interface and balance drips with artifacts of the era, especially compared to the refinement you get with DoS, PoR, and OoE, and even then there's still large chunks of asinine nonsense pervading that whole branch of the series between the quality. That said, the style, music, and voice acting are just iconic, the sorts of things that etch themselves into young psyches with good reason.

For cheap, it's worth it, as a period piece and as a game, but approach it as a prototype for the now six or seven times rehashed formula for all CV handhelds (DoS was the fourth, though in Konami's defense they did explore the state space they had and tried different gimmicks each time.)

To be honest, I wouldn't mind DoS, PoR, and OoE getting ported to a high-def system. As annoying as they were they had that addictive quality that made them hard to put down even as I lamented the too often crummy level design. Always preferred them to the GBA games though it's hard not to like that... one MANLY boss fight from Aria of Sorrow. To give Utopianmachine an opt-out, in spoilers, though if AoS isn't on your to-play list, you may as well click it.
Soma vs. Julius, baby. Aw yeah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TD56pbSjXw The player there makes the same mistake the game baits you to do at that point. The best sword in the game is Holy and you have it by then so you might be tempted to offload your old junk... only to then have to fight literally a holy warrior right at the end of the game. What a troll. I hit harder on him with the toothpick you start with than with that big white lightsaber.

[quote name='GUNNM']Why haven't they ported AoS on XBLA?=[[/QUOTE]

I hope someday they will. But I have a feeling it may be blocked by some contract that Konami has with Nintendo. (Same reason why all the old SNES games that could have come out on XBLA or PSN are only released on the Wii's Virtual Console.)

[quote name='buddynayr']Symphony of the Night or Costume Quest?[/QUOTE]

I liked Costume Quest quite a bit more than Castlevania, but I'm probably the minority.

SotN is both the crown fucking jewel of the Castlevania series, but also that of the Playstation 1. It's a GREAT game.

My mind says SOTN. You get way more bang for your buck.

My heart says CQ. It's one of the most memorable games that I have ever played.

But the Furian in me ... hopes you but both.

Costume Quest, hands down. Never liked SotN. Loved Metroid and Super Metroid, but never got into the Castlevania games.....ultimately, try each demo and see which one you like better

For the DLC of Dead Rising, do I need the game to play this content?

If I need the game, will the DLC work with the Dead Rising 2: Off the record?

[quote name='oasisboy']For the DLC of Dead Rising, do I need the game to play this content?

If I need the game, will the DLC work with the Dead Rising 2: Off the record?[/QUOTE]

Case Zero and Case West are both XBLA games, so they are stand-alone, no retail title needed.

[quote name='SporkWielder']Case Zero and Case West are both XBLA games, so they are stand-alone, no retail title needed.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt your lvl 50 from DR 2 carry over in case west/

Symphony of the Night is one of the best ps1 games period. It is a classic in every sense of the word. Also, it offers more content and longer gameplay.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Doesnt your lvl 50 from DR 2 carry over in case west/[/QUOTE]

Nope. You start at level 40 and you can level up to 50.

I have not purchased SotN on XBLA since I still have the original PS(1) disc and I transferred my old saves from my PS(1) memory card to the PS3. I heard the XBLA release is missing the rendered FMVs in order to be barely over the (then) 100MB size cap on XBLA titles [they asked for special permission, not hard when you say "we will bring one of the best ever titles from your competitor's old system to you" to the Live team, same with the early builds of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix; wish the same would have happened with the XBLA Soul Calibur].

A shame the two new sections/enemies/songs from the Sega Saturn version couldn't make the trip over ... not even playable older Maria (triple jumping ^^) from that version either.

While SotN was the turning point in the Castlevania series, which added elements of Metriod-like game mechanics (can't say first, cus 2 had elements of that too) with a progression system. It does have some flaws, and sometimes I yearn for the old whipping platforming (super 4, Rondo, 3/Densetsu, etc.); I know there's a Rebirth on Wii for that but I want that on XBLA. If you've not played SotN, know that it was one of the most notable titles on the ancient Playstation, and at this time a sale could convince you to give a look at a marquee title. Achievements tempt me as well.

Also, I loved the humor, fresh setting, and personality of Costume Quest. It is simple and great for all ages to enjoy. As a benefit to you young'uns the title update added savepoints; back in my day, we to cross zones if we wanted to keep our progress, you have it too easy.

[quote name='ZombiesWorld']
Anybody else think they might have some sort of 1 Day Sale on Halloween?[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that since they have been advertising this Shocktober Sale that a 1 Day super sale is likely.

[quote name='Crono-00']I have not purchased SotN on XBLA since I still have the original PS(1) disc and I transferred my old saves from my PS(1) memory card to the PS3. I heard the XBLA release is missing the rendered FMVs in order to be barely over the (then) 100MB size cap on XBLA titles [they asked for special permission, not hard when you say "we will bring one of the best ever titles from your competitor's old system to you" to the Live team, same with the early builds of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix; wish the same would have happened with the XBLA Soul Calibur].
[/QUOTE]

Losing the FMVs actually make the game a bit better IMO. They are terrible. Their omission is not due to the filesize limit - they're included in the Japanese XBLA Symphony of the Night (which I own).

If you had to choose one or the other I'd recommend costume quest over SOTN.
SOTN was something revolutionary and fresh when it was released, but not now. Any of the DS (or GBA) Castlevania's will offer you a better experience from the gameplay standpoint.
Costume Quest is just plain fun. It's quirky and quite unique. It has a lot of humor and you can even play a vampire character if you want. ;)

Haven't found a straight answer to this: Can you turn off the stupid borders in the XBLA SotN? If so, does that mean you have to stretch the image?

Edit: And also, there didn't seem to be a consensus as to whether the Dead Rising standalones are good for those of us who never played Dead Rising 2. Thoughts?

[quote name='mokmoof']Haven't found a straight answer to this: Can you turn off the stupid borders in the XBLA SotN? If so, does that mean you have to stretch the image?

Edit: And also, there didn't seem to be a consensus as to whether the Dead Rising standalones are good for those of us who never played Dead Rising 2. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Stretching the image to widescreen in Castlevania SOTN is definitely an option. I don't see why they're stupid though. (I forget whether you can have black borders or not).

As for the Dead Rising XBLA titles, no you don't need to own Dead Rising 2 to enjoy them. Case Zero in particular is a prequel that came out before DR2, after all! The main draw of Case West for me is a - being Frank West (for the DR1 fans), and b - online co-op. If you're interested, I would at least get Case Zero and see how you like it before deciding on Case West.

[quote name='eastx']Stretching the image to widescreen in Castlevania SOTN is definitely an option. I don't see why they're stupid though. (I forget whether you can have black borders or not).

As for the Dead Rising XBLA titles, no you don't need to own Dead Rising 2 to enjoy them. Case Zero in particular is a prequel that came out before DR2, after all! The main draw of Case West for me is a - being Frank West (for the DR1 fans), and b - online co-op. If you're interested, I would at least get Case Zero and see how you like it before deciding on Case West.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice!

And yeah, the borders are my personal hangup. It's just so... Super Game Boy, you know?

After trying out the demos for both Costume Quest and Castlevania, it's tough to try and choice one over the other since the gameplay styles are so completely different. Even though I've wanted both games I'm thinking about just passing this time around. I don't see myself devoting the kind of time that Castlevania demands and Costume Quest looks like I could have some fun with it for an hour or so but after that I will hardly touch it. The same thing happened when I bought Stacking (also from Double Fine). I played through the story, enjoyed it, and I haven't touched it since. I know I'm being a real cheap-ass here but I think if CQ was 400 points it'd be an easier decision.

Besides, I'm going to be getting a free pinball table tomorrow! Whoo!

[quote name='mokmoof']Thanks for the advice!

And yeah, the borders are my personal hangup. It's just so... Super Game Boy, you know?[/QUOTE]

You could play it on a 4:3 tv and not have that problem

Finally i'll get to play Costume Quest at an awesome price :D. Also i added air band to my download list and i don't really have a kinect, but i want one so badly!

[quote name='mokmoof']Edit: And also, there didn't seem to be a consensus as to whether the Dead Rising standalones are good for those of us who never played Dead Rising 2. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
There's no consensus because it's just not an easy answer. They're fun bites of DR2 gameplay. Case Zero is standard DR. Case West has you at near max level for full moveset fun but half your enemies are gun-wielding guards. Gun wielding enemies has always been DR's weakest point.

[quote name='reddjoey']You could play it on a 4:3 tv and not have that problem[/QUOTE]You mean, bring the game to a museum and play it there? :)

Just bought Castlevania: SOTN.

I have been meaning to get it for a while now, and since I had some points left over from getting the Gears 3 season pass, I thought what the hell, why not. :)

Since they gave us Paranormal as a freebie, I may have to go ahead and buy Ms. Splosion Man. Been thinking of getting that table for a while now.

[quote name='KtMack23']Sooo apparently you have to be 18 to purchase XBL stuff from your computer? That's bogus. If I can do it on my Xbox why not elsewhere? I guess minors aren't responsible enough to experience convenience.[/QUOTE]

You'll understand once you're 18.

[quote name='ZombiesWorld']Anybody else think they might have some sort of 1 Day Sale on Halloween?[/QUOTE]

Week 2 started on this Tuesday. Halloween falls on Monday, that last day of Week 2. Unlikely, but it would be nice. At this point, I have my expectations pretty low for getting any new deals from XBL. I'm probably just gonna start buying dlc when it first comes out for full price. I have enough M$ pts to do this now, since they rarely put anything new on sale.

[quote name='drawingboard']Week 2 started on this Tuesday. Halloween falls on Monday, that last day of Week 2. Unlikely, but it would be nice. At this point, I have my expectations pretty low for getting any new deals from XBL. I'm probably just gonna start buying dlc when it first comes out for full price. I have enough M$ pts to do this now, since they rarely put anything new on sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that'll teach 'em! :)

[quote name='mokmoof']
Edit: And also, there didn't seem to be a consensus as to whether the Dead Rising standalones are good for those of us who never played Dead Rising 2. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I'd never played a Dead Rising game before. I bought Case Zero as part of this sale. I'm only 30 minutes in, but it's already pretty boring and repetitive. I hope it gets better and more varied, but so far it's mostly just running through crowds of zombies to get from point A to point B.

Daytona USA is out today for 800 points and it's awesome!

It's the most arcade-perfect Daytona port ever, with widescreen graphics and lots of new modes to boot. Extra modes include Challenge Mode (8 separate challenges for all 3 courses = 24 challenges), Survival mode (try to last as long as possible on a course with the # of laps set to max), Time Trial, Karaoke (vocals turned off and subtitles turned on while you race), and online multiplayer.

Not only is the game simple, easy fun even after all these years, but the Achievements are super easy. You can get them all in less than an hour regardless of your racing skill level. I would have liked them to be a bit more time consuming, but that's alright. The game is just a wonderful trip down memory lane.

After watching reviews of it and playing the demo for alittle bit, I caved in and bought Costume Quest. Its not that bad, so you can now add me to the list of people who want to see the dlc go on sale.

I just played through Costume Quest again this year and it's just as good as I remember it being last year. I paid full price and it's still worth every penny. At 600ms it's a no-brainer unless you hate Halloween :)

As for Dead Rising, Case Zero is a great game if you haven't played any other DR game to see if you like that style of game. It's only 200pts and your character progress up to level 5 transfers over to DR2 if you end up playing that. Case West reminds me of overtime mode in the first DR, so I would suggest playing it only if you've played DR2. DR is a very polarizing series, most people either love it or hate it. I happen to love it.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']A little sad that the Dead Rising 2 costume pack stuff didn't all go on sale. Would of picked up one or two if the price were right.[/QUOTE]

Each one is only 160 MSP. I know this is Cheapassgamer but come on. Do that GS Call of Duty thing ang hope you get the 160 MSP prize and bam free costume. I used one of mine for the Bioshock 2 preorder characters Zigo and Blanche.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']After watching reviews of it and playing the demo for alittle bit, I caved in and bought Costume Quest. Its not that bad, so you can now add me to the list of people who want to see the dlc go on sale.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Costume Quest is one of my favorite arcade titles. Love it. No regrets paying full price for it.

[quote name='illennium']I'm only 30 minutes in, but it's already pretty boring and repetitive. I hope it gets better and more varied, but so far it's mostly just running through crowds of zombies to get from point A to point B.[/QUOTE]
that was my experience with the demo. Just smacking zombies over and over again with different objects. Totally overrated game, not even worth 200 points, not going to pick it up.

Also, just wanted to say I'm having a blast with shadow complex. It was a steal at 600 points from the DotW 2 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back