XBLA - Simpsons Arcade - 800 Points - Now available!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]AEwV5hV5s0A[/youtube]

The Simpsons Arcade comes to XBLA via original publisher Konami and developer Backbone Entertainment, who also handled the pretty good (if not great) X-Men Arcade port. It's a 4-player beat-em-up, quite similar to TMNT, X-men, and other Konami arcade games. It has never been ported to home consoles before, though there was a PC port back in the day. This version includes both the US and Japanese ROMs, just like X-men Arcade.

Co-Optimus - The Simpsons Arcade coming home at last

Achievements
The Simpsons Arcade Achievement list

Reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! Nostalgia, don't fail me now! In all seriousness, this is one of the old greats of the arcade and I'm really looking forward to it . It'll be another game to play with my kids.

I remember when playing the x men arcade was the shit when I was a kid then I tried the demo on xbox and somethings deserve to stay in the past

Man, this was the greatest thing ever when I was a kid. I remember I bought "Revenge of the Space Mutants" on NES because I thought they were the same thing. I was 7 or 8.

So glad I will finally get to play this on console. FINALLY.

[quote name='GUNNM']I remember when playing the x men arcade was the shit when I was a kid then I tried the demo on xbox and somethings deserve to stay in the past[/QUOTE]

Agreed. These games blow. People always fire them up on my arcade cab based on nostalgia and then quit out of boredom 5 minutes later.

[quote name='Javery']Agreed. These games blow. People always fire them up on my arcade cab based on nostalgia and then quit out of boredom 5 minutes later.[/QUOTE]

And other people have a blast every time they play them, such as myself. Forget you guys. :p

While I agree that the games don't hold up....I bought Xmen but it was rough....some games require a purchase. This is one of those games. Just to show publishers that we want them and we care. After The Simpsons, I can't think of an old arcade game thats left that hasn't come to XBLA that I'm clamoring for.

Maybe pit fighter. #-o

that best one of these was TMNT and a Spider-Man one that I don't remember the name to... It had 4 different characters, I think one might have been an X-men?

Namor's in it and he's an X-man. (yeah, I know)

This game is ok, but anyone worried they are gonna have some changes? I recall the game getting ported to a phone a couple of years ago with heavy alterations.

CAG be damned, day one purchase for me. I've been waiting for this for a long time now. Good to see it become a reality. I remember an arcade where I used to live had this, and I was disappointed when they got rid of it. Look forward to living those days again.

Totally excited for this. X-Men was my favorite arcade beat em up and The Simpsons was my second favorite. I loved the XBLA X-Men port and will most likely love this one as well.

I always pumped a few dollars into one of these machines to get to the end. How lame was Marge's vacuum cleaner attack, though? I'd love to play it again but I'll probably wait for inevitable sale, hopefully at 200 a la X-Men.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']
This game is ok, but anyone worried they are gonna have some changes? I recall the game getting ported to a phone a couple of years ago with heavy alterations.[/QUOTE]

EA released a game called Simpsons Arcade, but it's simply a different game that capitalized on the branding. This game is coming from Konami and will be their original arcade game.

Eh... I'm with the others that say it belongs in the past. If there's one thing that a super-secret computer program that I may or may not use on occasion, we'll call it "shmame", has taught me it's that nostalgia isn't the best guidepost. It's still kinda charming, but just like X-Men, the Simpsons is cheap and short. Not a wise buy at $10 IMO.

It is for people who actually like the game. Just because you don't enjoy beat-em-ups doesn't that mean no one should. Jeez, not wanting a game to be available for others is kind of dickish IMO.

It is for people who actually like the game.
If they like it then they can go nuts, I'm offering the suggestion that people might not like it now as much as their nostalgia would suggest.

Just because you don't enjoy beat-em-ups doesn't that mean no one should.
I don't? This is news to me.

Jeez, not wanting a game to be available for others is kind of dickish IMO.
Because that's clearly what I said... I want an outright ban of this game dammit!
I don't think it's worth $10, that's all.

[quote name='iamsmart']
Because that's clearly what I said... I want an outright ban of this game dammit!
I don't think it's worth $10, that's all.[/QUOTE]

You said:
it belongs in the past.
Which can easily be taken to mean "This game should not be released in the present." That's the implication.

And of course somebody who just plays ROMs on MAME wouldn't see the value of paying for the same game, but not everybody's into that. This version does have a few things that add value to it over the ROM, namely online multiplayer and Achievements. With that said, I do understand not wanting to pay the full $10 for a game you're not crazy about. But Konami XBLA games almost always go on sale eventually. ~ ~

I'll be all over this. As someone mentioned about the Spider-man arcade game it would be nice if that got released someday as well. There can't be enough

beat-em-ups. The old beat-em-ups are great.

I can only assume they'll be using the original voice samples and everything? The changed X-men voices were unfortunate but understandable. Simpson voices are way too distinctive though - the game wouldn't even be worth porting if they were taken out!

MAME will still be good for perfect nostalgia (on a CRT, of course!) but I'm definitely getting this if they don't mess with the sound! As much as this type of game may not "hold up" in certain ways, I've randomly fired up TMNT and X-men when people were over and they've been big hits. I think there will always be something inherently appealing about mindlessly smashing dudes in an arcade game after watching a movie. Even for people who didn't grow up with these games. It's in our human DNA!!!

I nearly pooped when I read about this yesterday. I was actually trying to track down a coin-op to buy, but I'm thinking this will suffice and save me a buttload of money.

Day one for me. I never really finished the game in the arcade, and while the nostalgia factor will wear off almost immediately, I really just don't give a fuck. Beat 'em up games are all the same, but they are fun to mix in every now and then.

Yes! I loved this.

I actually played the game before I'd ever seen an episode of the Simpsons..

When I saw an episode, I was expecting Smithers to be evil.

Next on wish list.. Bucky O Hare.

wow I forgot about this game. These games are great to play with friends and family. You quit in 5 minutes? It takes like a half an hour to beat!!!
This will go great next to my tmnt arcade, tmnt reshelled and x-men on my 360

[quote name='eastx']Will letcha know when they announce a date. Sonic CD is a must-buy, but don't forget about the Black Friday and Cyber Monday XBLA sales.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the xbla sales haven't wowed me so far. Definitely going to get beyond good and evil. Cannot wait for sonic CD, I hope the changes don't mess it up. Need to get my sonic boom on!

[quote name='KaneRobot']"Sometime" is now this Friday, 2/3. Unfortunately it's gonna be 800 points so I'll probably be waiting on a sale.[/QUOTE]

If this is true, fucking awesome! Should be getting my 1600 points card in the mail this weekend.

While I probably should wait for a sale on this, there's times where being a CAG has to take a backseat. This is one of those times.

At least I can take consolation in the fact I never pay full price for points (and won't as long as I continue to get discounts at work).

bread's done
Back