XBLA - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time - Now 800pts :whee: - 8/5

Broly... what's your advice on Mudman? I can't seem to avoid him when he collapses and follows me around even while double jumping.

I bought and played through this last night, it's fun to play through but I think I would have preferred just a straight conversion of the Arcade or Snes versions.

It's ok at $10 but I'd have been pissed if I'd paid $15 for it.

[quote name='QiG']Broly... what's your advice on Mudman? I can't seem to avoid him when he collapses and follows me around even while double jumping.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm not Broly, but I found the best way is to run around the outer edges of the screen.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Where the fuck is the Tecnodrome level?

I want my fucken money back! They call it a remake and cut a pivotal level out? Bullshit.[/QUOTE]

You mean the Technodrome level that was not in the Arcade game, which this is a remake of?

After playing it, I really, really can't believe they were originally going to charge 1200 for this.

Yea, 15.00 would have been too much.

But what were people expecting from this game? It's the original with new graphics/music. Did they promise more or something?

[quote name='robin2099']You mean the Technodrome level that was not in the Arcade game, which this is a remake of?[/QUOTE]

I assumed the SNES and Arcade version were the same....

I am hugely disappointed, and I feel overcharged at 800 points.

Well they took your money and ran and can probably care less now.

If another TMNT beat em up comes out show your support - by not supporting them.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I assumed the SNES and Arcade version were the same....

I am hugely disappointed, and I feel overcharged at 800 points.[/QUOTE]

They have several differences. Rat King isn't in the Sewer on the arcade version. In that one level its Mudman instead of Slash as the boss, and also it doesn't have that one stage. I kind of thought it was lame at first,but after playing it 3 times I enjoy it. Of course it could have been better,but it really isn't that bad. :)

I'm also in with the group of dissappointed turtle fans. Maybe it's because of the outdated gameplay, but I just can't seem to find the excitement that I had for the game as a kid when I would stay up all night playing it on SNES.

I played through it once last night, and I don't really care to play it again any time soon. At least, it'll be there for me anytime I want to take out some frustration on the foot.

Meh, I kinda knew this wasn't going to be as fun as I had hoped/imagined it was from back as a kid...nostalgia's a bitch like that. That being said, it's still a decent beat-em-up. Had it been 15...I mean then it'd be a pretty fair comparison to point at Castle Crashers which just makes this look silly. But playing online was fun, and I guess it being an easy 200/200 cheevies is a plus, kinda?

[quote name='ihadFG']I know I'm not Broly, but I found the best way is to run around the outer edges of the screen.[/QUOTE]

That's what I did. Sometimes he gets you, though.

I tried the demo. From what I played, this remake completely lacks the character and spirit of the original game. This feels like a misguided fan project. Simply releasing the original (whether arcade or SNES) would have been better.

I was never a fan of the TMNT games back in the day (even though I was a huge TMNT fan). I wish Capcom remakes the Final Fight games like this.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I assumed the SNES and Arcade version were the same....

I am hugely disappointed, and I feel overcharged at 800 points.[/QUOTE]

You really feel $10 is an overcharge?

[quote name='seanr1221']Yea, 15.00 would have been too much.

But what were people expecting from this game? It's the original with new graphics/music. Did they promise more or something?[/QUOTE]
this is nothing like the original. if it were just an update in graphics, then i might be able to handle it, though i prefer the original. but they changed the mechanics and this game just stinks.

i dunno about you guys but does the characters seem to take up too much real estate on the screen? its hard for me to follow my own characters with so many foot soldiers on screen. also jumping seems weird to me. is it me or does the characters snap back in mid air if you hit something, like other turtles?

[quote name='benjamouth']I bought and played through this last night, it's fun to play through but I think I would have preferred just a straight conversion of the Arcade or Snes versions.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I like this and $10 is a good price but I perfer the SNES version. I didn't play the Arcade version too much so I was dissapointed not to see Bebop, Rocksteady & Slash.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You really feel $10 is an overcharge?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I have had more games for 400 Microsoft Points ($5.00) that are more fun, have more content, and are not letdowns. One that comes to mind is JetPack Refuelled, which is also a remake. It includes the original as well.

Wow, so many people complaining. How many of you actually played past the demo, and or played with an actual person? This is a steal for $10, and is damn fun to play with friends.

How long does this game typically last? The gameplay from the demo certainly wasn't that astounding but it was passable. I assumed it wouldn't be too exciting. But if the replay is good, it's worth the buy.

I don't disagree that a port of the original may or may not have been better, but 800pts was fair. It's an arcade based game, it was never meant to be long, and it was meant to be played co-op.

Where's the love for the Manhattan Project?

[quote name='joshthegreat69']How long does this game typically last? The gameplay from the demo certainly wasn't that astounding but it was passable. I assumed it wouldn't be too exciting. But if the replay is good, it's worth the buy.[/QUOTE]

Probably about 45 minutes to beat.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Wow, so many people complaining. How many of you actually played past the demo, and or played with an actual person? This is a steal for $10, and is damn fun to play with friends.[/QUOTE]

Well if this is your taste than fine..but just look at it from a retro gamer's perspective. This game was phenomenal when it was released on the SNES and it was and still is one of the most complete beat em ups made. When you release an updated version of a great game, you would expect it to be just as good and in fact better...but it isn't. All they did was update the graphics, take out the combos, and make everything sound like a wet sponge....while somehow a lowly 16-bit cart still did it better. I can't see why they can release an arcade port and make it 4 player. That would still be fun but yet it holds the nostalgia factor. This game is just a hollow shell of what it's supposed to be. As a retro gamer i hated it. I felt like Ubisoft did this in a half hour and decided not to beta test it and find out how much it really doesnt feel like an updated arcade port.

I dunno, I liked the original game and am also enjoying this version. I'm playing it solo and am finding the higher difficulties to be a fun challenge.

Tried out the demo and I liked it.
I'll pick this up once I get some MS Points from the US.
We get killed here in Canada. 2800pts for $40?! WTF!?

2400 points = $30 US so 2800 points = $35 US, so you're paying a $5 premium. You should be lucky it isn't more quite honestly.

Also, I'm missing the punchline of that Giant Bomb video.

[quote name='KingBroly']2400 points = $30 US so 2800 points = $35 US, so you're paying a $5 premium. You should be lucky it isn't more quite honestly.

Also, I'm missing the punchline of that Giant Bomb video.[/QUOTE]

The content manager's name is "Ding Dong"

[quote name='integralsmatic']Well if this is your taste than fine..but just look at it from a retro gamer's perspective. This game was phenomenal when it was released on the SNES and it was and still is one of the most complete beat em ups made. When you release an updated version of a great game, you would expect it to be just as good and in fact better...but it isn't. All they did was update the graphics, take out the combos, and make everything sound like a wet sponge....while somehow a lowly 16-bit cart still did it better. I can't see why they can release an arcade port and make it 4 player. That would still be fun but yet it holds the nostalgia factor. This game is just a hollow shell of what it's supposed to be. As a retro gamer i hated it. I felt like Ubisoft did this in a half hour and decided not to beta test it and find out how much it really doesnt feel like an updated arcade port.[/QUOTE]

I'm a retro gamer as well. I've played both this and Hyperstone Heist (which is practically the same game, with a different level or two and a different scenario) hundreds of times as a kid.

If it bothers you that much, why don't you just view it as a brand new game, and stop trying to compare back to your childhood? Just play it, have fun. I can guarantee you, that if you go back and play that game on SNES now, you won't have nearly as much fun as you remember.

This game is very fun, maybe not if you play alone, but as I said before, playing with friends relives some classic TMNT fun you had while growing up. Maybe it's not on the "same level" as the old Turtles in Time, but it's still damn fun, and people really need to stop complaining about every little thing they find wrong with it, and actually just play it and have fun. That's what games are for, to have fun.

A fun game - purchased it for 800 points and was worth it.

Looking to get double dragon off someone. Since its been delisted just before i started to use LIVE. Crap!

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks!

I'm really wanting Maximum Carnage to come out. Definitely one of the best Beat em ups from my childhood.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Wow, so many people complaining. How many of you actually played past the demo, and or played with an actual person? This is a steal for $10, and is damn fun to play with friends.[/QUOTE]

I own it, and think it is blah. Not horrible, but not good either.

[quote name='QiG']
Where's the love for the Manhattan Project?[/QUOTE]

That was a great game too...probably my favorite TMNT game.

[quote name='Chadical']I'm really wanting Maximum Carnage to come out. Definitely one of the best Beat em ups from my childhood.[/QUOTE]

I know it'd be impossible, but I wish we could get a compilation featuring all sorts of SNES era licensed beat-em-up style games.

[quote name='Brak']I was expecting something that didn't suck.[/QUOTE]

It's funny how you've done nothing but troll in this thread and said absolutely nothing with any intelligence. And by funny I mean pathetic. :p

Not sure what some of you guys were expecting from this... I think the new coat of paint makes it pretty fresh, and it plays very similarly to the arcade game, even with the small changes they made.

[quote name='eastx']It's funny how you've done nothing but troll in this thread and said absolutely nothing with any intelligence. And by funny I mean pathetic. :p

Not sure what some of you guys were expecting from this... I think the new coat of paint makes it pretty fresh, and it plays very similarly to the arcade game, even with the small changes they made.[/QUOTE]

It changed everything that made it a good game, and ruined my memories of it as a child in the process.

[quote name='Trakan']It changed everything that made it a good game, and ruined my memories of it as a child in the process.[/QUOTE]

Did it change the part where four people play as Ninja Turtles, moving through linear levels and mashing attack as much as possible to defeat enemy foot soldiers? At the end of the first level, instead of Baxter Stockman, do we now fight a dinosaur? Or do the Turtles get life refills from hot dogs instead of pizza now? Wait, maybe the old game had some attacks that they left out. That must be what's ruined your memories.

Back in reality though, it seems like the graphics are now 3D and in a different art style, the voices are different (and mostly better), and the Turtles can attack in 8 directions now. Oh, sure, it doesn't have the extra stuff from the SNES version, but it was never advertised as having that. I'll give you that the music isn't as good as the original, but it's not really offensive either. So... I can't see how your memories have been damaged. This was always going to be a remake of the arcade game with the features I just described, and it was never going to be an emulation of the SNES or original arcade games.

[quote name='eastx']It's funny how you've done nothing but troll in this thread and said absolutely nothing with any intelligence. And by funny I mean pathetic. :p[/QUOTE]
It's funny how you enjoy the game.

And by funny, I mean "You're a corporate whore."

Then again, I also tossed my $10 at Ubi-Soft Singapore.

[quote name='eastx']Did it change the part where four people play as Ninja Turtles, moving through linear levels and mashing attack as much as possible to defeat enemy foot soldiers? At the end of the first level, instead of Baxter Stockman, do we now fight a dinosaur? Or do the Turtles get life refills from hot dogs instead of pizza now? Wait, maybe the old game had some attacks that they left out. That must be what's ruined your memories.

Back in reality though, it seems like the graphics are now 3D and in a different art style, the voices are different (and mostly better), and the Turtles can attack in 8 directions now. Oh, sure, it doesn't have the extra stuff from the SNES version, but it was never advertised as having that. I'll give you that the music isn't as good as the original, but it's not really offensive either. So... I can't see how your memories have been damaged. This was always going to be a remake of the arcade game with the features I just described, and it was never going to be an emulation of the SNES or original arcade games.[/QUOTE]

The Turtles look and sound far worse than the original. The combat is worse. I'll get interrupted in the middle of a combo. Sometimes I'll keep doing the same initial stick-swing with Donatello instead of continuing into a combo. I'll be inside somebody's asshole beating the shit out of them, but they're somehow invulnerable. Baxter Stockman looks like a goddamn dragon. I'm not mad that it's missing the stuff from the SNES version, although they could have easily included it. The remixed music is absolutely terrible.

A remake is supposed to improve on everything the original did. This game somehow does worse in every way. If it's inferior to the original, there's a problem.

It's fucking bush league. Maybe the wrong team handled it.

[quote name='seanr1221']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br-1wnAZKkI

Interesting video. The games seem pretty damn similar to me, but it's been a while since I've played the original.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. After seeing that, anyone who complains about this remake I'll just have to laugh at. It's the same game, and this quite clearly shows it, especially how true they stayed to the levels and formulas.

bread's done
Back