XBLA - The Maw - 800 Points - 12/20: 400 pts sale begins 12/28

[quote name='doubledown']I enjoyed the demo...might pick up the full version. How long does the game last (approximately)?[/quote]
2-3 hours. You're definitely not buying this because it's a long game with lots of replay value, just because it's a fun experience for a few hours and an easy 200 points.

I really enjoyed the game. FriskyTanuki is right about the game not being about replay value or challenge; the game is about the experience.

I applaud Twisted Pixel for creating two great characters without ever using dialog—except for those parts when you call for the Maw when he is too far away; "Maaaaaawwwww!" Their approach in defining these characters was to use interesting animations which revealed the emotions and feelings of the characters.

The part at the beginning after you pick up the leash bracelet, your character Frank looks up to the sky with a heroic pose. The Maw notices your pose and tries to copy it. That was one of the moments at the beginning that sealed the deal—so to speak—referring to my feelings of the game.

There was an exuberant amount of charm to the game that not a lot of other games have. Hopefully they don't just abandon this where it is; I would like to see them take it even further.

Really a great game.....Its a steal for $10, great game, 2 free gamer pics and a premium theme....

Awesome, thanks. And thanks for the site, too, didn't know about that.

I kind of want to grab the Banjo Kazooie (original) theme, but I already bought the Castle Crashers one and now I'll have this one, so I think I'll hold off. Can't wait to unlock it. :]

I'll gladly buy the DLC, especially at only 100 points a pop. I don't care if it's "deleted levels", and that they should have been in. I'm happy to support this developer, and happy to get some brand new levels in Maw.

This game does look fairly entertaining, but it might have the worst title of all time. When I first heard of it last week, I thought it had to do with a crappy Martin Lawrence movie.

Am I the only one that would like to know more of this games universe? I can understand why Maw was in captivity, but why was the guy you control arrested? Or was he just abducted? Its such a simple game, there's alot of ambiguity to it.

[quote name='homeland']Am I the only one that would like to know more of this games universe? I can understand why Maw was in captivity, but why was the guy you control arrested? Or was he just abducted? Its such a simple game, there's alot of ambiguity to it.[/quote]
Just more room for sequel, prequels and spin-offs that way.

Yeah, I found out the alien you control is called Frank and the guys that were holding Frank captive were bounty hunters from the official site and not the game. :lol: It would've been nice to have a little more story, but the game doesn't really require it.

I enjoyed the game. I just have one more level to get 100% on then I need to figure out the meal time achievement. I never found myself wanting more story, not saying it would be a bad thing, just wouldn't really add much.

Finished the game last night, then finished off my 200 nerd points.

Great game, really enjoyed playing it and it was well worth my $10

This game is really enjoyable and very relaxing. A great change of pace from
call of duty multiplayer. I'm glad I purchased it and it Is well worth the 10 bucks

Did anyone have trouble on the level where the max turns into a psuedo hot air balloon?
That level took me a good half an hour and I had to do lots of backtracking because I didn't know how to get him to eat to grow bigger.

Very fun game though.

Looks like the first DLC level will be out on Wednesday:

For those wanting more from The Maw, Twisted Pixel Games has announced that a new level called "Brute Force" will be launching this Wednesday, February 18 on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for 100 Microsoft Points ($1.25 USD). Featuring new puzzles, characters, cinematics, and explosive action this level pits Frank and Maw against a new foe: the Brute Soldier, a member of the bounty hunters' elite strike force sent to stop Maw at any cost.

This is the first of three DLC levels that Twisted Pixel Games has been working on ever since The Maw development wrapped last year. "There's a period of time where we're not allowed to touch the game because it's going through certification, but there was more we wanted to do, so rather than calling it a day we threw ourselves into making all new levels," explains CEO Michael Wilford. "We've never done DLC before so it's a bit of an experiment for us, but there seems to be a lot of excitement for it so I don't think we can go wrong."

Each DLC level will expand The Maw storyline by fitting in between the original levels as "deleted scenes". "As with any production, there are always pieces left on the cutting room floor that you wished could have made it into the final cut," says CCO and Director Josh Bear. "We had a lot of half-finished story elements and gameplay mechanics, so we are picking the best ones, polishing them up and making new levels that are bigger in size and scope than the ones in the main game."
Screens that show off that you'll be using fire Maw and what I'm guessing is the new Brute Soldier enemy:

[img-c=165]5153[/img-c]
[img-c=165]5152[/img-c]

This is one of those almost purchased games. If I wasn't going to gamestop every weekend and picking up a last gen game that I missed, I'd probably have splurged (especially being the 800 price tag).

But, this is just an extension of the 1200 game. 800 points and then 3 download levels. My guess is 100, 100, then a bigger 200 point finisher, to top it off at 1200 points for the entire game (which probably should have been released all together).

[quote name='lordxixor101']This is one of those almost purchased games. If I wasn't going to gamestop every weekend and picking up a last gen game that I missed, I'd probably have splurged (especially being the 800 price tag).

But, this is just an extension of the 1200 game. 800 points and then 3 download levels. My guess is 100, 100, then a bigger 200 point finisher, to top it off at 1200 points for the entire game (which probably should have been released all together).[/QUOTE]
the game is complete as it was released, anythign extra, is extra and we have the option to purchase it or not. as many have said this game is worth the 800 points, its not like it was gimped and requiring dlc.

[quote name='fart_bubble']sucks to see that this "DLC" is just unlocking a level already in the game file[/quote]

I don't think you can just assume that it unlocks hidden content within the game based on its size of 604 KB.

[quote name='Razzuel']I don't think you can just assume that it unlocks hidden content within the game based on its size of 604 KB.[/QUOTE]

considering the actual game only has 9 levels and clocks in at 147 megs, I think its safe to assume that with this DLC only being 604KB, it just unlocks the content

[quote name='fart_bubble']considering the actual game only has 9 levels and clocks in at 147 megs, I think its safe to assume that with this DLC only being 604KB, it just unlocks the content[/quote]

Yeah, but you cannot break it down in that manner. The game contains more than just "levels" so we don't know how each piece contributes to the size of the full game. You have to account for the sound, textures, polygonal models, animations, scripts, menus, and the code itself.

We don't know what constitutes a new level, so we cannot say whether or not it is large enough.

Confirmed by Twisted Pixels themselves, this is NOT just an unlock code.

http://www.teamteabag.com/2009/02/18/first-deleted-scene-dlc-released-for-the-maw/

It re-uses everything already in the game, and just pretty much add's in the Brute Soldier. What they need to add more levels, is apparently just a few text files.

Anyway, I bought the DLC, it's a very good level, however, the DLC is slightly broken, due to Microsoft. If you unlock the achievement, it won't add to your GamerScore, and the game itself still shows only 200 / 200, instead of 215 / 215 (the only possible fix for people who already obtained it, such as myself, is to apparently recover your GamerTag once they get it fixed, and re-do the entire thing).

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Confirmed by Twisted Pixels themselves, this is NOT just an unlock code.

http://www.teamteabag.com/2009/02/18/first-deleted-scene-dlc-released-for-the-maw/

It re-uses everything already in the game, and just pretty much add's in the Brute Soldier. What they need to add more levels, is apparently just a few text files.

Anyway, I bought the DLC, it's a very good level, however, the DLC is slightly broken, due to Microsoft. If you unlock the achievement, it won't add to your GamerScore, and the game itself still shows only 200 / 200, instead of 215 / 215 (the only possible fix for people who already obtained it, such as myself, is to apparently recover your GamerTag once they get it fixed, and re-do the entire thing).[/quote]

Bah, yeah you are right the achievement stuff is messed up. I unlocked the achievement and it still says 200/200. That is lame.

However, the level itself was awesome—it took me 30 minutes to complete if anyone was wondering. It had the same charm and humor from the levels included in the standard game. I thought it was cool to use the rhino beetle form with a smaller version of the Maw because when you use him in the standard game, he is huge.

The new enemy was not as integral to the level as I was assuming it was going to be. Maybe they do something interesting if you get close to them? I stayed away from them because if you get within a certain distance they draw their gun, and at that moment I walked away, haha.

Man, what I am doing wrong? On the level where you can turn Maw into a
battering ram
I am struggling to control him in that state. He seems to just go wherever he wants to. Towards the end, instead of
ramming through a door
he just went over a mountain instead and I could not get him back (as it was in one of those psuedo cut scene moments).

Any advice?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If it was one of those segments in a small valley where he ends up jumping into spaceships, you're not supposed to have any control.[/quote]

Nah, it is smash through a door (done a few of those segments already). He was supposed to smash through the door, but instead, missed it slightly as he was lined up too much to the left - and he just kept going. Up and over the mountains. My camera point of view stayed at the door he was supposed to smash through..I left it for 5 minutes, and it never changed, though the game wasn't locked up at all either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z8ayoAJyxg&feature=related

At about the 7:05 mark in this video is where it happened.

Oh, and I agree, its a glitch. I was just pissed because I had spent about 40 minutes getting that far due to Maw not always going where I wanted him to go when in ram mode. Without being able to save in level, I am not eagerly anticipating going back and eating every enemy again.

But I feel like outside the glitch for that area, this level is very frustrating as a whole. I was not having fun playing it due to not being able to control Maw properly.

Does anyone know if the second DLC level has the same achievement glitch that the first DLC level had?

I don't want to have to play this DLC level over again like I had to for the first one because it glitched out on me.

[quote name='Bretters']Was the first deleted scene achievement bug fixed yet? I really want to play the extra levels.[/QUOTE]

Yes the "glitch" is fixed. It was MS fault for not putting the achievement in the database until 3 days after release. You can recover your gamertag and get the achievement to show up if it glitched for you.

I just bought and finished the game and I have to say that it was just so much fun. I hope 'Splosion Man is this fun.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Is the sale for those with a Gold membership only? I've hated it when Microsoft pulled that shit in the past.[/QUOTE]

They've "pulled that shit again", but this shouldn't be too surprising, since these sales are almost always gold-only.

I'm going to download the demo and see what I think. Will buy for 400 if I like it.

bread's done
Back