XBLA - Toy Soldiers 3/3/2010

Everyone seems to be describing this as a tower defense game and I'm not seeing it from the trailer. It seems more like a strategy game where you can control tanks, planes, sniper towers, and such that seems more like Battalion Wars than the other tower defense games out there. The ugly, brown visuals also don't help with any of the media I've seen.

Looks pretty neat. Also, speaking of XBLA games, why is there no thread about Lucidity yet?

[quote name='fart_bubble']watching it makes me think of a WWII Kingdom Under Fire[/QUOTE]

You mean WWI, right?
emoteng101a.gif

got this game early thanks to the devs twitter contest and it is insanely fun

definitely get it if u have any interest in tower defense games!

I like it and then they give you a free Gas Mask for your avatar, awesome. Was planning getting all the bloc party games and if they want to give me points back that's great.
Lost on the Tsar Tank mission but I think I'll adjust my strategy next go.:)
Amazon has great timing, got my 4,000 Microsoft Point card today.^^

Bought this, played the first few levels. Overall, it's just fun. It's a mix of tower defense and a battlestations game (winds up being very unique). During the waves you take control of the different "towers" which makes them more effective (assuming you are decent at using them). They also have planes that you can fly around, I think they have more field units at later levels. Between waves you fix things, buy things, place barb wire, etc. The waves sometimes overlap, so it's very action packed.

The game also has a number of big bosses. I've read online some people don't like the controls, but it plays fine for me.

so i found out yesterday that u can instantly switch between towers using the dpad

wish they would make that clear when they gave that tip during loading :lol:

[quote name='GenPirate']I really want this but I don't have any points left, damn I wish a points card deal would pop up.[/QUOTE]
No kidding. I have 320 point left but of course there is no way for me to buy less than 1600!

fuck you MS!

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']No kidding. I have 320 point left but of course there is no way for me to buy less than 1600!

fuck you MS![/QUOTE]

if your looking at just cards, buy the Zune cards (they're the same thing as the XBLA point cards). They come in 400, 800 and 2000 point denominations

[quote name='Nelo Ice']so i found out yesterday that u can instantly switch between towers using the dpad

wish they would make that clear when they gave that tip during loading :lol:[/QUOTE]

no sheeeettt, thx for the info!

Haha I usually do worse with the towers so I let them do their thing most of the time on the important choke points. I'm more of a RTS general anyway. :p

Well I gotta say after 5 tries taking on the Tsar tank I was about to leave this game but then found out that you can position the turret using both shoulder buttons and finally survived! After that mission I've been having a lot of fun with this.

Played it last night. It was fun but I don't know if it was $15.00 fun. I was a bit surprised about the load time. Hopefully there will be a price drop in the near future because I just cant pull the trigger on a $15.00 XBLA game. I think $10.00 will be the sweet spot.

I've always wanted to control a rts game in first person and doing the Big Willie mission was really cool. Made me think I'd totally love a future Company of Heroes first person mode game.

I tried the demo for this today finally, and I must say it's better than I thought it was. When I first heard of it and saw screenshots, etc, my first thought was "not another tower defense" game. That market's so over saturated recently it's a bit insane (or at least appears that way. Plus, I never cared for that style of game to begin with. I don't know if it's the first person aspect or what, but I enjoyed the demo a bit. Can't justify spending $15 for it though, but for those having second thoughts on it, maybe I can help convince them. ;)

Has >115k people on the leaderboard already. Seems like it's going to be a hit. Another TrialsHD or Castle Crashers maybe.

I imagine Perfect Dark is going to sell even more.

I'm on the 10th level or so and the only really "bad" thing I've seen so far is that the difficulty is a little inconsistent. For some of the levels you really just have to know what the waves are going to be, where they are going to come from, or how to prepare for the boss. In other words, it's a strategy game :)

Finally downloaded it, and I love it. Adding the ability to take control of the units (and making them more effective when you do so) was an interesting addition, as well as using the whole WW1 motif. This definitely differentiates itself from all of the other tower defense games.

In the later levels it doesn't feel very tower defense like maybe because you're mostly spending your time in the tanks or planes.

I completed the game on normal difficulty a few days back, and started campaign+ on casual just to get through quicker for the achievement(s). Survival mode was quite challenging, but you can get the achievement by having two Howitzers at the sides, and all Level 3 Machine Gun turrets. You'll fail very early into Wave 5, but the achievement will unlock.

Wow the Langemark mission was a pain as I died like 5 times trying to do it. I believe I'm on normal, I didn't change the difficulty. The levels after that were way easier compared to Langemark (split Toy Boxes/Enemy Emplacements up close).

Yes, that level can definitely be a bit tricky and is far more difficult than any of the other levels in the campaign (haven't done all the campaign+ missions yet, so I can't speak of those). The key is, as soon as the level starts, roll out with your tank and start taking out the enemy emplacements.

Beat the game, after one fail with the last mission (damn boss) and unlocked campaign + and survival mode! awesome I still think they should have had an idle animation for when you want to exit the bomber, tweak a few things defensively and then jump back into the bomber. You can do that with the tanks?! Just make the plane fly in a little circle with a 10 sec timer.

Finally played the demo for this last week and I really, really enjoyed it. I love the unique mix of play styles (tower defense, first-person turret shooter, maybe a couple others). The unorthodox setting really lends a lot of atmosphere...You're in WWI, but also in a kid's playroom. The soldiers yell and move around like real men, but you're also aware that they are antique playthings. It's eerie and cool. Feels like if they made a game inspired by "The Indian in the Cupboard" books it should be something like this.

I just reloaded on MSFT points and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. It's pricey, but as I said, I really enjoyed it, and it seems like something that won't go on sale any time soon. Should I do it? How hard are the achievements?

Very interested in this game as of late. I'll have to try the demo again. Has the full game gone on sale before? probably won't any time soon since the dlc just dropped.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Very interested in this game as of late. I'll have to try the demo again. Has the full game gone on sale before? probably won't any time soon since the dlc just dropped.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's been on sale yet but yes it's a great XBLA game.

I would expect a sale in time but it may be fall by the time that happens.

Beat the campaign earlier today after picking the game up 2 days ago. It was tons of fun but after realizing you can just throw up one fully upgraded anti air tower and a ton of flying pig mortars, the game becomes insanely simple. I'll have to give elite mode a try and check out the online though.

I'm still stuck on the campaign + mission where you have to defend against the Czar tank again. Man I just can't bring it down in time.

Just get a lot of mortars and artilery. Use the bumpers to change the direction of fire on the cannons so it can constantly shoot at it. Try to use the cannons that aren't firing at it when it first spawns so they aren't wasted.

fuck yes!!!

Signal Studios just unveiled the upcoming Invasion DLC for Toy Soldiers on its official website. The add-on for the incredibly successful Xbox Live Arcade title will include six new levels (three single player, two multiplayer, and one survival), an army of anachronistic and out-of-place foes (including knights, spacemen, and giant robots), plus a fresh batch of Achievements.
There's no price or release date just yet, but Signal's teaser site sports a newspaper at the top dated September 2010, so it's probably not too far off. We'll let you know as soon as it's official.

dlc2-ss1.jpg

dlc2-ss7.jpg

dlc2-ss8.jpg

http://www.signalstudios.net/our-games/invasion-home/

Late to the party, but bought this over the weekend. This is the first strategy type game I've ever attempted to play. This game is really cool and I love the WWI setting. Being able to hop in your units and control them is great fun.

This game was fun, but I just put it down after having a lot of trouble with the Czar Tank and just havn't picked it back up yet. I plan to... but that's what I always say... and my backlog continues to multiply.

Played the trial over the weekend to see if it was something I'd be interested in, and the next thing I knew, the trial was over and I wanted to keep playing! Just need to go and get a point card and then I'll definitely be getting this.

bread's done
Back