XBLA - Watchmen: The End is Nigh - 1600pts

soccerstud652

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)

Features

The lines between good and evil have been blurred and crime and terror run rampant in the streets. The alleys, rooftops, and sewers are crawling with criminals and brutal gangs. And now, Underboss—in a daring escape—has broken out of prison and is ruling with vicious darkness. The city is in need of saviors and only masked hero vigilantes answer the call. Answer the call in Watchmen: The End Is Nigh.

• Two Watchmen characters: Play either as Rorschach, a feral, street-wise fighter who can disarm enemies to use their own weapons against them, or Nite Owl, a refined fighter who uses martial arts expertise and high-tech wizardry.
  • Fierce action: Fight and watch the blood fly through six chapters of gut-wrenching in-your-face action.
  • Intense, visceral battles: Fight up to 20 enemies at the same time with bloody, street-fighting moves.
  • Multiplayer: Clean up the streets with friends in split screen co-op multiplayer competition, or solo.
media

Watchmen prequel featuring Nite Owl and Rorschach.

Episodic downloads -- March 2009

media

See: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171165

Any thoughts on this? It is available for download on XBL, PSN, and Steam.

Personally, I am a huge Watchmen fan, and this looks like it may very well be worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome, and having just finished the Watchmen book, I can't wait.

Sad thing is, it's going to probably make me miss Rorschach more :(

I just got this magazine today, and was puzzled when I heard it was going to be episodic, and an XBLA / PSN title.

It looks like it could be pretty good, though.

BEST case scenario in my head is this game will play like The Warriors (with the rage meter for Rorschach and the heavy, light, and throw buttons, it sounds like it's somewhere there). Though the thing is though, I'm still torn on wanting a Watchmen game. Never did I think or ever want a story about how Rorschach punched "that guy" in the face. I Mean the involvement seems nice, but let's be honest here Len Wein is NO Alan Moore, not even on his best day. I'd much rather have a Black Frieighter game over the super heroic adventures of Rorschach and Nite Owl in their heyday.

Though we'll see, I'll still download it, but...My expectations are low.

[quote name='bardockkun']BEST case scenario in my head is this game will play like The Warriors (with the rage meter for Rorschach and the heavy, light, and throw buttons, it sounds like it's somewhere there). Though the thing is though, I'm still torn on wanting a Watchmen game. Never did I think or ever want a story about how Rorschach punched "that guy" in the face. I Mean the involvement seems nice, but let's be honest here Len Wein is NO Alan Moore, not even on his best day. I'd much rather have a Black Frieighter game over the super heroic adventures of Rorschach and Nite Owl in their heyday.

Though we'll see, I'll still download it, but...My expectations are low.[/quote]

Len Wein may not be Alan Moore, but he's done some pretty stellar stuff in his career. Personally, I'm not a huge Alan Moore fan. Pricing would have a big affect on whether or not I look at these episodic games.

[quote name='mike.m']Len Wein may not be Alan Moore, but he's done some pretty stellar stuff in his career. Personally, I'm not a huge Alan Moore fan. Pricing would have a big affect on whether or not I look at these episodic games.[/QUOTE]

since there are supposed to be 6 episodes (if I read the EGM article right), I figure each one would be $10 to equal a full retail priced game (and obvious $20 each if I did in fact read the article wrong with two levels making up each episode)

[quote name='mike.m']Len Wein may not be Alan Moore, but he's done some pretty stellar stuff in his career. Personally, I'm not a huge Alan Moore fan. Pricing would have a big affect on whether or not I look at these episodic games.[/quote]
Did you ever read Tom Strong? C'MON MAN!

*ahem* Now that I got that out of the way, a part of me is hesitant overall on anyone that isn't named Alan Moore writing anything else in this universe. Since really, what more needs to be added that wasn't already there in Watchmen? You basically do know these characters front and back by the time the book is finished and not once after I finished reading it did I feel the need to ponder what it was like for the characters in the past. I'm not trying to bash on Len Wein or anything, but from the sound of the game these characters will make it look more like a generic superhero story then what it really is (that or it makes me think they missed the whole meaning of the book by doing this).

So I'm not expecting much (if anything) from the storyline because...Really, do I need this? Though I don't know, maybe I'll be proven wrong and the story kicks my ass. I Really hope so because other then that, I'm fine with just my collected edition of it.

Not that they're always right on the money but Game Informer -- even in their preview of it -- implied that it sucked, said it was simplistic and such. I'd definitely wait before buying.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Not that they're always right on the money but Game Informer -- even in their preview of it -- implied that it sucked, said it was simplistic and such. I'd definitely wait before buying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was going to come in and say the same thing. If anything, I think GI is too generous in their previews/reviews, so that was a pretty big red flag for me. Definitely going to wait for reviews.

[quote name='IvanHood']Yeah, I was going to come in and say the same thing. If anything, I think GI is too generous in their previews/reviews, so that was a pretty big red flag for me. Definitely going to wait for reviews.[/quote]

I'll admit they go over board when they like a game, but for the most part they can also be very tough on games. In the Feb issue (granted not the best of games to review) I counted that more than half of the games got failing or near failing ratings.

GI also tends to sugar coat the bad games by saying "Hopefully _________ part of the game will get tightened up before release" This time they flat out told people to avoid. In the preview. No other game to knowledge -- even the shitty ones -- got that level of treatment.

We're not talking mediocre brawler here, we're talking worst XBLA release ever.

Even if I'm wrong and this scores higher than a 5, I'm still waiting until it hits 800 or less points.

1600 points means I'll definitely be waiting. Not ruling it out altogether, but it will have to be getting a lot of strong positive reaction around here for me to drop that much on it. I hope lots of CAGs who purchase it post their opinions in this thread, because I usually put a lot more stock in what I read about games here than in most print or online reviews.

They hope to get 60 bucks in the end for a game that would get 5-7's in reviews if released as a full game. NO THANKS.

[quote name='gareman']I'll admit they go over board when they like a game, but for the most part they can also be very tough on games. In the Feb issue (granted not the best of games to review) I counted that more than half of the games got failing or near failing ratings.[/QUOTE]

On this one, I'd be willing to believe them. But you're right, they can be tough on some games...also, seems like when you read a review where they give a game a respectable review like a 7 or 8, the review READS like it's overwhelmingly negative. They spent 80% of the review on what doesn't work, and 20% on what does, lol.

[quote name='Danimal']1600 points means I'll definitely be waiting. Not ruling it out altogether, but it will have to be getting a lot of strong positive reaction around here for me to drop that much on it. I hope lots of CAGs who purchase it post their opinions in this thread, because I usually put a lot more stock in what I read about games here than in most print or online reviews.[/QUOTE]

At 1600 points it has to be at least be in a 7 range and have at least 8+ hrs of game play. Even then, it still has to have enough draw as a Watchmen product to hook me in.

I did bite on Penny-Arcade Ep 1 when it first dropped at 1600 M$ points. However that's because it got decent reviews, I'm a huge PA fan (and will support them however I can) and I got a crapload of discounted points.

I'll wait until the second episode comes out for $10 or $15, then pick up the first episode when it finally goes on sale.

As much as I'd like to kick some ass with Rorschach, I'm definitely waiting. $20 is too much for a beat-em up that I'll probably only play through once.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']At 1600 points it has to be at least be in a 7 range and have at least 8+ hrs of game play. Even then, it still has to have enough draw as a Watchmen product to hook me in. [/QUOTE]
It's supposed to be 2-3 hours.

As others have mentioned, GI is generally very, very, very generous in their previews, so the fact that they actually stepped up and said this looks like crap already kind of scared me off.

Mind you, I'll probably end up buying it anyway, because I'm an idiot.

I don't know if I would buy this for even ten dollars. Looked like it wasn't very good from the footage but I'll try the demo.

I will wait for some reviews, and hopefully a playable demo since this is a arcade title before I make my decision. I just got my 2 free watchmen tickets for buying a 1600 points card at Best Buy today, but if this game blows I would rather spend the 1600 points on something else.

[quote name='Brak']2-3 hours is fine for a $20 beat-em-up.[/quote]
I do find it funny that people are so hard on the pricing of downloadable games. Even ifthis game is "amazing" (which will probably not be the case), a lot of people will still say its too damn expensive.

But

If it were a an actual hardcopy game, then people would get super excited about a 20 dollar "amazing" 3 hour beat-em up for the 360/ps3.

[quote name='gareman']I do find it funny that people are so hard on the pricing of downloadable games. Even ifthis game is "amazing" (which will probably not be the case), a lot of people will still say its too damn expensive.

But

If it were a an actual hardcopy game, then people would get super excited about a 20 dollar "amazing" 3 hour beat-em up for the 360/ps3.[/quote]

I sort of have to agree with this. People are WAY harder on DL pricing than they are on hard copies of games. The only thing I can possibly chalk it up to is that people lower the perceived value of something based on the fact that they can't recoup any of their money if it turns out to suck. That becomes really important in the case of something like this.

Regardless, I agree that the preview of the game in GI was not as glowing as it could've been, but it also wasn't nearly as negative as some people are making it out to be. Regardless, I won't be picking this up immediately, especially not for 1600.

Looks beautiful, though.

Wow, $20 per episode? You gotta be shitting me. I mean, a Watchmen beat-em-up is already a hard sell for me (Watchmen is sacred, people!), and then they're gonna try and rape my wallet? You can get the fuck outta here with that shit.

[quote name='gareman']I do find it funny that people are so hard on the pricing of downloadable games. Even ifthis game is "amazing" (which will probably not be the case), a lot of people will still say its too damn expensive.

But

If it were a an actual hardcopy game, then people would get super excited about a 20 dollar "amazing" 3 hour beat-em up for the 360/ps3.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. People are stingy with their spacebucks but if this was a $20 retail title it would probably sell gangbusters.

I just got 1600 points from the Watchmen deal. I am debating between this and Lost and the Damned once I beat KZ2. I think given the release of Watchmen, the End of Nigh might be the better choice and save Lost and the Damned for a rainy day.

I'll try the demo out, but I have a feeling I'm not going to buy this. If this was $20 for basically a whole game, I probably would. But $60 total for a downloadable game with no online? Forget it!

If it's fun, I'll watch for a sale. If it's not, then I won't worry about it anymore.

MjC

1600 points is just laughable. LOL

I'm dreading the inevitable disappointment that the film is going to leave me with...sigh.

But

If it were a an actual hardcopy game, then people would get super excited about a 20 dollar "amazing" 3 hour beat-em up for the 360/ps3.[/QUOTE]

The difference between owning physical product that you can resell or know will last as long as you want to keep it, is a night and day difference with 'virtual' ownership which is really more like a rental. Shouldn't really be surprising.

[quote name='porieux']The difference between owning physical product that you can resell or know will last as long as you want to keep it, is a night and day difference with 'virtual' ownership which is really more like a rental. Shouldn't really be surprising.[/quote]

i understand how owning a physical copy is of higher value to people, but really even if this game was a physical 3 hour brawler for 30 buck, people would still be thinking about getting it.

Also how is "virtual ownership" like renting something?

Yeah, I never really get the "rental" part of this argument, even though I do agree with the overall idea that owning a physical copy is of more value.

Yes, I do see the point being made, that eventually they will take this stuff down off the servers, and if you need to reformat a drive or something, there won't be anyway to get the content back. But really, how far down the road is that going to be? It's far more than a rental.

bread's done
Back