XBLM - Deal of the Week -- Pinball FX 400MSP ($5)

69 on metacritic and what the reviewers say about it all point to overpriced MS trash being slathered with gloss (the lower price) so we might think it's purdy enough to pick up.

pass...

Thinking about this but I'm currently at silver and don't want to upgrade right now. But my kids both have gold accounts, is there anyway if they purchase it from one of their accounts to gift it to mine?

Eh. Puzzle Quest and Ikaruga were worth the $5; I'm not sure if this one is. I'll wait and see what October brings - as long as it's games and no more overpriced Halo themes, that is.

[quote name='jthieme']Thinking about this but I'm currently at silver and don't want to upgrade right now. But my kids both have gold accounts, is there anyway if they purchase it from one of their accounts to gift it to mine?[/QUOTE]

I thought you couldn't gift Marketplace items. Am I wrong? :whistle2:s

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I thought you couldn't gift Marketplace items. Am I wrong? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking the question. I did a quick look around xbox.com and didn't see anything. I guess I need to see if I can track down a 48hr code or something.

[quote name='jthieme']Thinking about this but I'm currently at silver and don't want to upgrade right now. But my kids both have gold accounts, is there anyway if they purchase it from one of their accounts to gift it to mine?[/QUOTE]
No, there is not way to gift it. I will pm you a 48 hour trial, then you can get it under your gamertag.

[quote name='Brother Daz']No, there is not way to gift it. I will pm you a 48 hour trial, then you can get it under your gamertag.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I would really appreciate a code if you could spare one.

Couldn't you just take one of their profiles over to your xBox on a memory card, sign in as them, buy it.

Then take their profile back to their xBox, and play the game under your profile on your xBox?

Although the 48 trial thing should probably work too...

I dismissed this as a rather generic pinball game, but I'll admit to being enticed by the Street Fighter II Tribute DLC table. I might have to jump on this!

I bought it day one and have always considered it one of the best XBLA titles, but I do enjoy pinball.

Has a free DLC table or two as well. Highly recommended at 5 bucks, at least give the trial a shot.

For $5 it's a good deal as you get a bunch of tables (with the free DLC). The Street Fighter table for a few $ more is quite awesome too. This has good online multiplayer and supports the Vision Camera too. It may not be the best pinball game around, but it's still plenty of fun.

The 48-hour trial will not give you the Gold status required for the Deal of the Week, you will stay Silver just with the ability to play online. And no, you cannot gift games/content, mostly because of this and other Gold exclusive promotions.

jthieme, you can download it with your kid's account and be able to play it with yours, but only on the console you initially download it on.

They just released a new table today, so I'm sure that's why it's the deal of the week. I personally have a lot of fun with this game, but I'm also not picky when it comes to video game pinball. For those that care, it's the same team behind Zen Pinball on PSN.

Thanks, all. Yeah, I found out that the 48hr codes don't actually upgrade you to gold only to Xbox live gameplay status. Thanks to Brother Daz for the code though.

As for buying it with one of the kids' accounts, we all share the same 360 now so it wouldn't be a problem for now, but one is in college now and the other will be soon and will most likely have their own 360s at some point (or I will need to buy another for myself :) ) So how does the DRM work in that case, I'm assuming if it's tied to their account and they transfer their gamertag to a new 360 or I buy a new 360 I won't be able to play the game anymore, right? I really wish there was a retail version of this game.

They could still play it on a new Xbox, but only online and only on that gamertag. They can do a liscense transfer to allow full access to the content they've bought, but after that you wouldn't be able to play it on the original 360, I'm sure.

[quote name='Skoad']They could still play it on a new Xbox, but only online and only on that gamertag. They can do a liscense transfer to allow full access to the content they've bought, but after that you wouldn't be able to play it on the original 360, I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. As long as the gamertag and game are on the same box it will be the full version for you. If they take the gamertag else where it will revert to the trial for you and they will only be able to play it on live on the new Xbox unless they migrate the license. I'd say wait till Friday, pickup 1 mo gold and some points and buy it on your tag if you intend to play it after they are gone, otherwise get it on their gamertag

[quote name='TobalRox']They just released a new table today, so I'm sure that's why it's the deal of the week. I personally have a lot of fun with this game, but I'm also not picky when it comes to video game pinball. For those that care, it's the same team behind Zen Pinball on PSN.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure ANOTHER reason why they've discounted this is to try and push it's sales before the Williams Pinball game comes out in a couple days. It has Pinbot, and Pinbot > All.

The Williams collection would give you a more authentic pinball bang for your buck than Pinball FX will. Every review I read about this game called it mediocre at best, mainly due to the wackiness of the ball physics. Apparently Zen studios brought their A-game to their next release, Zen Pinball for the PS3, because that game is apparently excellent.

[quote name='360maniac_com']I bought it day one and have always considered it one of the best XBLA titles, but I do enjoy pinball.

Has a free DLC table or two as well. Highly recommended at 5 bucks, at least give the trial a shot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I bought it at full price too. Haven't played it in ages though, wouldn't have known about the new free table if not for this thread. Thanks!

[quote name='jennyfur']Yeah I bought it at full price too. Haven't played it in ages though, wouldn't have known about the new free table if not for this thread. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I second that statement.

[quote name='Doomed']http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/pinballfx[/QUOTE]

Many of those metacritic reviews are just plain off base. The lowest score on there complains about there only being 3 tables when there are many more than that now. They're basing their reviews off of a $10 price point, and you can damn well bet that affects many of these scores.

That being said, I've had the game since day 1 and all of the tables. It's nearly identical to Zen pinball on PS3 since it's made by the same team. I have both and both are VERY similar. For $5 it's a steal for anyone who likes pinball games in the slightest bit.

I know there are a bunch of tables available for purchase, but is the Buccaneer table the only additional free one?

[quote name='awp']I know there are a bunch of tables available for purchase, but is the Buccaneer table the only additional free one?[/QUOTE]

There are 4 tables. 1 is free.

I checked the entire list. Yeah, Buccaneer is the only free table. So $1.25 per table. If you want extra, it's $2.50 or more per new table.

Think it's pretty good for $5, my only gripe is "table" quality varies a lot. I can't stand the "Extreme" table.

I think I'm going to pass on this and wait for a deal on Pinball Hall of Fame. I had alot of fun with the Wii version and can't wait to play the tables in HD.

Ha! This game is quite generous with the achievements, isn't it? I got like three within the first minute of playing! I imagine there are some fiendish score-based ones in there though...

[quote name='BustaUppa']Ha! This game is quite generous with the achievements, isn't it? I got like three within the first minute of playing! I imagine there are some fiendish score-based ones in there though...[/QUOTE]

It's honestly not. The rest of them are a pain in the ass to get actually.

Are there better pinball games on the XBox for download - for overall quality and for value? I'm probably going to get this but if there's a killer one for download or a decent one on Indie Games I may check them out before biting.

[quote name='mxyzplik']Are there better pinball games on the XBox for download - for overall quality and for value? I'm probably going to get this but if there's a killer one for download or a decent one on Indie Games I may check them out before biting.[/QUOTE]

its the only pinball game on the arcade or community games

I bought the game @ launch and it's a great deal for $5 aka 400 ms points. I bought it at the same time as 3 other friends and we had fun playing it online with the multiplayer plus it has xbl vision camera to use if ya want and the tables are decent. I bought the rocky & bullwinkle and street fighter tables and both were worth it to me. Overall, it is a good game and you'll enjoy it. By the way, if someone buys it on ya xbox 360 then you can play it as well. As long as the person who bought it keeps their gamertag on the 360 they bought it then anyone can play it.

[quote name='p0rn0saur']Think it's pretty good for $5, my only gripe is "table" quality varies a lot. I can't stand the "Extreme" table.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of funny, because when I got this when it first came out, I hated the Extreme table, but now it's one of my favorites. Very different than a lot of other pinball tables. Plays extremely fast and based around quick repetition of loops and trick shots more than any others. Pair it with all the other tables and I think it works well because of the variety. I agree that if all the table were like that, it would suck, but I appreciate the difference it offers.

[quote name='crazy blain']I'm sure ANOTHER reason why they've discounted this is to try and push it's sales before the Williams Pinball game comes out in a couple days. It has Pinbot, and Pinbot > All.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah, didn't even think of that. I will most likely be picking that up soon.

[quote name='Archgarth']The Williams collection would give you a more authentic pinball bang for your buck than Pinball FX will. Every review I read about this game called it mediocre at best, mainly due to the wackiness of the ball physics. Apparently Zen studios brought their A-game to their next release, Zen Pinball for the PS3, because that game is apparently excellent.[/QUOTE]

I have the Williams Collection on Wii and it's really good, definitely better than the XBLA game, but it is also a full retail vs. download. I will probably sell my Wii version once I pick up the 360 version, I see little reason to keep it.

At first thought this sounds like fun, but even at $5 I'll pass because I see myself losing interest in this game REAL FAST.

The Street Fighter table is a hoot! I love how you can see two realistically rendered SFII Champion Edition arcade cabinets next to the pinball machine. I can actually see myself playing this for a while, since a disc-less pinball game is the perfect thing to load up at will and just mess around in for a few minutes. And I was raised on Kirby's Pinball Land so I'm not really a stickler for physics, haha

bread's done
Back