Xbox 250GB S Int.HDD-& Wifi N-$299-Out Now|Kinect out 11/4|$199 Model and bundles

[quote name='Paco']150 seems like the magic number. Though I'm wondering if it was too ambitious.... Microsoft had to cut out the ram, the extra processor that was in it. Plus the fact that it doesn't you know recognize colored people or dark clothing seems to be pretty lolz worthy.[/QUOTE]

When $150 was rumored a couple of weeks ago, the overwhelming response was negative. I wonder what people are thinking now.

[quote name='atomsk']When $150 was rumored a couple of weeks ago, the overwhelming response was negative. I wonder what people are thinking now.[/QUOTE]

I always saw AT LEAST 100 as being the bare minimum of how much this thing was going to cost with 150 being the most likely cost and 200 if they really were on that Kutarugi Juice. The only thing thing we're going to see is how spectacular this thing is going to fail. Nintendo can essentially kill this thing by lowering the price of the wii to 150 so that anyone interested in Natal will just get a Wii instead.

And what are people thinking now? The same thing I thought when I first heard they cut otu the extra ram and processor "looks like a trainwreck waiting to happen"

Anyone have a guess on how much the 360 slim is going to cost? Right now I'm kicking myself for just buying the 360 spring bundle, so I might consider selling that and getting the new 360 slim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wii doesn't need to come down in price. Just a commercial saying for $200 you get everything you need to enjoy yourselves. With Kinect, it's $100-$200 for the device, then $200 for the 360, or $300 for a bundle if they do that.

Slim isn't coming with a price drop. I'm wondering more when it's going to come out.

I find great truth in this.

nmjhww.jpg

I actually like the "Kinect" name. However, the average consumer will see the cost of this add-on versus the cost of buying of buying a Wii, and MS will not come out ahead in that comparison. Yes, you don't need a controller, and it might even be crazy accurate for all we know, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is going to be a very expensive peripheral that will cost almost as much as a competing console. Hmmm...

wow, sure are a lot of Sony fan boys in the xbox forum. Regardless the whole motion control thing in gaming is such a gimmick, but I know it's not going away.

I don't know what I think of the redesign yet, I need more pictures, better angles, and a shot of the two consoles right next to each other. If the HDD is built in (which we all agree it should have always been) that will make one smart move. Wifi also is nice to finally have.

NeoGAF is ripping MS/Kinect a new asshole...http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398172

The amount of cynicism is too much...even for me.

I couldn't give a shit...it's not going to affect how the people on this web site, or especially on GAF, do their gaming. It's sort of funny seeing how outright angry people are getting at MS and the device.

Also, this is an exact reason of why I do not read Destructoid (or really any gaming blog...I just glance through headlines and digest info that way instead of trying to read the shit they call "games journalism") http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-impressions-from-the-natal-kinect-reveal-event-176291.phtml

A shining example of why people don't take games journalism seriously.

Pretty much every "journo" site is saying the same thing. I don't know, the event seemed nice enough, but it really wasn't made for the gaming press.

This quote made me laugh, because I was wondering what Itagaki and Kojima must have thought of the show:
For me, the highlight of the evening was watching Ninja Gaiden creator Tomonobu Itagaki walk into the event in his white robe, taking in the scene behind his traditional sunglasses. He looked around a few times, stood quietly for a few moments and then turned around and left.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']

A shining example of why people don't take games journalism seriously.[/QUOTE]

Games journalism doesn't even exist.

[quote name='dallow']Pretty much every "journo" site is saying the same thing. I don't know, the event seemed nice enough, but it really wasn't made for the gaming press.

This quote made me laugh, because I was wondering what Itagaki and Kojima must have thought of the show:[/QUOTE]

I don't really care if the event sucked or not, it's how juvenile Destructoid is.

[quote name='Destructoid']

HERP DERP DERP LET'S SPEND ALL THE MONEY THAT HAS EVER BEEN PRINTED IN AMERICA SO WE CAN USE GAME JOURNALISTS AS UNWITTING ACCOMPLICES IN A RIDICULOUS MTV COMMERCIAL FOR OUR EYETOY! ALSO, CIRQUE DU SOLEIL!

HERP DERP DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRP!
[/quote]

Seriously?

I think NeoGaf is just amusing themselves like NeoGaf does. The price gif is awesome, though. I doubt it'll be $190, but it's still funny.

The only thing that I don't like about the slim is that you stand it up. I have no place to stand one up unless it would be shorter then the wii. Hell even that I have heard of some people having to lay it down. Maybe M$ has also made it so you can change the HDD on it but I am willing to bet that you wont be able to change it. I would rather them come out and say "Hey you do you all remember that rrod well now it is fixed." That to me would be better then a slim unless this slim does that and if that is the case then when my new 360 goes out I might just send it in and get it fixed sell it and buy a slim.

[quote name='Nico0020']
I don't know what I think of the redesign yet, I need more pictures, better angles, and a shot of the two consoles right next to each other. If the HDD is built in (which we all agree it should have always been) that will make one smart move. Wifi also is nice to finally have.[/QUOTE]

If the HDD is built in it better be easily removable. They better not make you buy a new system if there's a problem with it or you want more space.

[quote name='Fjordson']
I have no fucking clue what's going on, but it looks insane.
[/URL][/QUOTE]
Looks like some people pretending to play Kinect while some crazy people worship them. Worship the casual gamers!

[quote name='A Happy Panda']NeoGAF is ripping MS/Kinect a new asshole...http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398172

The amount of cynicism is too much...even for me.

I couldn't give a shit...it's not going to affect how the people on this web site, or especially on GAF, do their gaming. It's sort of funny seeing how outright angry people are getting at MS and the device.
y.[/QUOTE]
It is going to affect you. MS is putting tons of money into this instead of spending it on making more core games and getting core exclusives. I said this same exact thing before the Wii launched and barely anyone would acknowledge this while most said I was wrong and now look at the Wii and the games for it. You should be upset if you prefer core games and not casual stuff. If you're not I feel even more depressed for the future of gaming.

Too little, too late.

As for "Kinext"... congratulations, you cunts, on using the most intriguing technology ever presented in games and making it a worthless piece of shit, at least based on launch titles. I went from "OMFG MUST BUY" to "probably not". :(

A lot of people (ahem, Matt) are making their minds up before seeing actual games. Even if there are no good launch titles (which we don't know because Microsoft hasn't even done their full press conference yet), that doesn't mean good titles won't come out afterward.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I don't really care if the event sucked or not, it's how juvenile Destructoid is.

Seriously?[/QUOTE]

OH god, I thought you were joking. :lol: x 1000

Man, Jim Sterling is FAT.

I like the idea of this stuff like kinext, wii, what ever it is sony is doing. Only for kids games though. Atleast then it gets young kids that play theis things up off their ass. However for older gamers like myself that just want to sit back and not sweat when playing and would rather relax after a long BS day at work this is pointless.

Kinect is a stupid name, but then again so is Wii and that sold like crazy. As for the redesign, well, it looks like an old Dell desktop which someone pointed out earlier. The most important things about the redesign though are it doesn't break a few months out because of the chipset detaching itself and the thing doesn't sound like a jet engine. Show us that and I'll be happy. Also I'm hoping the Wi-Fi rumor is true simply because its bullshit that the 360 has a $100 adapter for something every other system (home and handheld) does for free.

As for the Kinect price point, $150 is ridiculously high and will almost be a guaranteed flop when that puts the price to entry for Xbox at $350 (barring a bundle which would most likely only drop it to $300). The mainstream won't pay that much for an add on and the hardcore will most likely only buy it to play with the menus and the one or two core games that might be good. Microsoft needs to bite the bullet, take a loss (bigger loss?), and get the price point below $100 if they want a real shot at taking some of the Wii's market share. Then again, that market doesn't buy games, does it?

[quote name='J7.']
It is going to affect you. MS is putting tons of money into this instead of spending it on making more core games and getting core exclusives. I said this same exact thing before the Wii launched and barely anyone would acknowledge this while most said I was wrong and now look at the Wii and the games for it. You should be upset if you prefer core games and not casual stuff. If you're not I feel even more depressed for the future of gaming.[/QUOTE]

I missed the memo where Halo Reach, Call of Duty Black Ops, Fallout Vegas, Fable III, Gears 3, Dead Space 2, Crackdown 2, etc. got canceled.

[quote name='seanr1221']I missed the memo where Halo Reach, Call of Duty Black Ops, Fallout Vegas, Fable III, Gears 3, Dead Space 2, Crackdown 2, etc. got canceled.[/QUOTE]

Notice how all of those a sequels. But, what does a list of games have to do with MS wasting money on this crap? It will definitely fail, especially if it goes for a price point higher than $150.

And if that new console design is real...its ugly as shit. Hope it isn't real, looks like an ugly PC case.

[quote name='atomsk']
wh0ah1.gif

Natal has mind-reading capabilities confirmed.[/QUOTE]

This is what I read from several reports--that the demos seemed faked. That's interesting since we all recognized that the Milo demos were faked a year ago. I understand MS doing this to some extent since they don't want a disaster like Apple had last week with WiFi, but still, you can't fake it forever. At some point you have to let the public play it and it has to work.

[quote name='Blackout']Everyone at Destructoid needs to die.[/QUOTE]

Minus a friend of mine who keeps getting his blog posts front-paged on that awful site. Burch was the only good part of Destructoid and thankfully he was able to move to something better...

surprised that people are shocked that they faked it. Of course they did. This event was all flash and no substance. It's supposed to sell people on the idea of the product and not the product itself. It's supposed to generate buzz. They hired fucking Cirque du Soleil and made people where space ponchos--integrity and "down to Earth" presentation had no place there. It's the difference between being "honest" and risking that the whole show comes to a screeching halt because of some random problem (which may or may not be the fault of the product, but will be blamed on it anyway) versus having a smooth recorded presentation that gets the idea across to the audience. If it's not supposed to be a scrutinized technical demo, option B is obviously more appealing.

Today is the day for people to actually try it out and see its functionality.

It would be nice if these companies would just do Apple-style "let the product speak for itself" presentations, but the whole point of E3 is to make everything look so much more amazing and cool than it actually is.

if i recall correctly, doesn't kinect use a substantial amount of processor from the console itself? maybe thats why we dont see any good games for it. and maybe we never will

[quote name='shosh']if i recall correctly, doesn't kinect use a substantial amount of processor from the console itself? maybe thats why we dont see any good games for it. and maybe we never will[/QUOTE]

Uses 33% of the 360's processing power. Originally it was going to have its own processor for that, but that would have made it even MORE expensive.

[quote name='Paco']Uses 33% of the 360's processing power. Originally it was going to have its own processor for that, but that would have made it even MORE expensive.[/QUOTE]

... Yeah, I'm definitely going to wait to see it in the "GET CHEAP CRAP HERE FOR < $20" bin at Walmart. Joking aside, I have hope that games like Fable 3 will be good enough without Kinect that having the camera will only add to the game's experience.

You have to wonder why they didn't work on a new console to go along with Kinect. If they incorporated the processing of Kinect into the system, they could have their cake and eat it too. Using up 33% of the 360's processor (if that number is true - is it known to be?) is certainly going to limit this thing. The Wii has motion controls, but as far as I know they have no impact on the the processing power of the machine, even with Wii Motion Plus. Sure, it doesn't have the power of a 360 to begin with, but at least it's consistent. Kinect games are going to inherently be limited compared to non-Kinect games. Potentially a problem. Then again, maybe not. Maybe the capabilities provided by Kinect are enough to make it succeed. I mean, it is a compelling concept, in spite of what many a CAGr might say. On the other hand, I'm still skeptical about how well it will work. My terrible experience with Eye Toy (it didn't work in my living room at all) has me wary. I know this is suppose to work better, but I'll believe it when I try it. *Especially* given all the staged demos (seemingly always in a completely white room, or close to it) and now this faked presentation. You just have to wonder. If it has issues recognizing you and it uses up 33% of the processor, then it's just going to be an expensive bag of hurt.

[quote name='ninja dog']
It would be nice if these companies would just do Apple-style "let the product speak for itself" presentations, but the whole point of E3 is to make everything look so much more amazing and cool than it actually is.[/QUOTE]

I think Steve Jobs' recent iPhone 4 presentation explains why Microsoft wouldn't go for that style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oITln1SZe9U

After watching the new "Inside Xbox" vids on the dash, it looks like they might be changing the power-up sound and animation.

In case you missed it, they did change the box art logo.

51xd98HNaPL._AA300_.jpg
51hxn9YOulL._AA300_.jpg

Looks like the branding is changing again

My two cents. . . At first blush, the system picture looks like a redisign for the first XBox. Something about the vent lines remind me of the ridges on the XBox. Could be the black color too. It doesn't look great, but wouldn't prohibit me from buying it. Kinect unit looks pretty sweet and relatively non-intrusive, especially in perspective with 360 remote.

As far as Kinect, I believe this is, and always has been, an attempt at the casual market. Core shouldn't fret too much as announced games look strong, albeit sequel heavy. Now it depends on how they price the unit. As stated above, it is going to be a hard sell if it is over $100, and may be so if under $100. I really, really liked Pachter's $50 prediction. Who wouldn't, though?

One benefit over the Wii and Move is presumptively you buy Kinect and do not have to get any other accessories no extra remotes, nunchucks, wave and its peripheral, etc. However, this advantage may be mooted if Kinect does not allow or pick up multiplayer well.

Lastly, I have concerns about the coffee table problem. I know I won't be able to do any foot based games unless I have to move a coffee table everytime and I'm not getting rid of it because it really ties the room together, if you know what mean.

Looking forward to more news and posts here.

[quote name='Paco']Uses 33% of the 360's processing power. Originally it was going to have its own processor for that, but that would have made it even MORE expensive.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that figure still rumor? And isn't it UP TO 33%?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/microsoft-unveils-controller-free-gaming-world/story?id=10907707

Some more rafting vid. ABC news is saying November launch for Kinect.

Real Talk: Who has a coffee table so huge/massive/heavy they can't move it forward to right beneath the tv stand/area/wall mount. If you have a limited space like that you might want to consider if you need a coffee table at all. A better argument would be dorm rooms or a small office with only room for a desk and chair

Kinect; neat, but been there, done that. seems appealing, but not practical. kinect = eye toy + wii.

I also see privacy issues; yeah like opening your home up to the world. As if tweeting and facebooking you're not home isn't bad enough, now video of an empty house streams live for burglars.

Hardcore gaming will be the standard controller interface (sorry, keyboard & mouse too) for a long while. We know wii is the casual/recreational gamers' choice. Eye toy was neat for awhile; Kinetic, etc. Having an ideal room setup wasn't as easy or practical as one would imagine. Large, well lit, uniform background. I mean, by the time I finished this setup I already got my exercise.

Slim model is nice, but I'd rather wait for the next-gen, non-RROD BBQ, model. This is just a step along the product road-map to milk your average consumer. running [in-place] simulators? com'on, go play outside. peace.

lol im going to buy this crap just to see if i can trick the stupid *^*& and put it up to show how stupid it MAY be (like instead of jumping I'll lift one leg to see if I'll jump over hurdles. or I'll pretend to follow dance moves and i bet the guy on the screen will still do them accordingly

[quote name='GizmoGC']Sony fans are freaking out online.[/QUOTE] haven't they been doing that since the death of the ps2

bread's done
Back