XBOX 360 250 GB HARD DRIVE $69.99/$99.99 New at Microcenter!

[quote name='ITDEFX']

Hmm.... Does this mean that a BIGGER hard drive is coming to both "S" and regular 360 models?
[/QUOTE]

seems like the new xbox drives have been on sale for around $99.99 and the old hdd have been hovering around $59.99 to $69.99 since many believe they are being discontinued or clearancing out. i wouldn't look too much into it or thinking a bigger hard drive is in the works.

Great deal on that 250GB non-slim hdd . . . 69.99 (though there is a shipping charge of 5.99, making it not quite as great a deal). You can do store pickup and avoid the shipping charge, but will pay tax I guess. Grab these drives while you can, they won't last forever! Also, this is the U.S. version, unlike all the Euro ones that were blown out recently from $55-$70 by various websites.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Hmm.... Does this mean that a BIGGER hard drive is coming to both "S" and regular 360 models?

[/QUOTE]

Ah...I thought this was about the slim HD drive...nevermind.

I ordered one for store pickup last night.... but haven't received any email yet. I'm assuming this is because my local MC isn't open yet, but have zero experience dealing with them.....

....so the email notification popped up as I was typing this. I could pick this thing up right when the store opens - wow, I'm shopping here more often ^_^

MS is having a promotion for the slim HDD at $99, but it smells like they'll give it a permanent price drop soon anyways. The 360 may get a price cut at E3, and the current HDD pricing is especially insane if you can get an arcade slim at $150 in a few months.

This does look like a pretty tasty deal. You guys think I can get away with price matching if there's no Microcenters remotely close by? :p (Closest one according to Google is in Santa Clara, CA. I'm in northern Oregon.)

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']This does look like a pretty tasty deal. You guys think I can get away with price matching if there's no Microcenters remotely close by? :p (Closest one according to Google is in Santa Clara, CA. I'm in northern Oregon.)[/QUOTE]

No, I doubt you'll be able to get any kind of local B&M pricematch. But these drives have been going on and off sale, in and out of stock for the last few months. Mostly the early sales were the Euro 250GB hard drive (different part number, same hardware, no compatibility issues). But this is the U.S. part number, which I haven't seen go on sale at this price until now. Either way, its a good deal for an official MS hard drive, with transfer cable and backwards compatibility formatting for original XBox games. Its been a little cheaper in the past, but not by a ton. And I have to wonder just how much longer these old 250s are going to be on the market . . . I would assume that MS would prefer to be done with all the old hardware, and focus just on the slim accessories in the future.

[quote name='chimpmeister']No, I doubt you'll be able to get any kind of local B&M pricematch. But these drives have been going on and off sale, in and out of stock for the last few months. Mostly the early sales were the Euro 250GB hard drive (different part number, same hardware, no compatibility issues). But this is the U.S. part number, which I haven't seen go on sale at this price until now. Either way, its a good deal for an official MS hard drive, with transfer cable and backwards compatibility formatting for original XBox games. Its been a little cheaper in the past, but not by a ton. And I have to wonder just how much longer these old 250s are going to be on the market . . . I would assume that MS would prefer to be done with all the old hardware, and focus just on the slim accessories in the future.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't aware any special formatting was necessary for old school xbox functionality.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...p?ie=UTF8&qid=1299868824&sr=8-1&condition=new

Just noticed this on Amazon for $69.00 + free shipping (from one particular retailer). Has me wondering if anyone has any comment on this particular item. Seems like the legit 250 GB drive, though now i'm wondering about the whole BC deal. Would also hope for a transfer kit included.

I really could use a 250GB. My 120GB is constantly getting full and I have to clean it out. I really do not have $70 laying around right now though, but it is so tempting at this price...

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Wasn't aware any special formatting was necessary for old school xbox functionality.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...p?ie=UTF8&qid=1299868824&sr=8-1&condition=new

Just noticed this on Amazon for $69.00 + free shipping (from one particular retailer). Has me wondering if anyone has any comment on this particular item. Seems like the legit 250 GB drive, though now i'm wondering about the whole BC deal. Would also hope for a transfer kit included.[/QUOTE]

The HK/China knockoff drives on sale all over do not include the backwards compatibility partition/software on their drives; thus, you don't get original Xbox compatibility. Plus you never know what kind of half-assed drives and electronics will be included in them. Thats why it is always best to just get an original MS drive. As for the link you posted, I would NOT count on that being an official drive; no mention of a part number, transfer cable, original retail packaging, etc. Whenver those things are omitted from descriptions, you can pretty much bet it will be a knockoff drive. Here's a thread about it in another forum:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=654078

man, I want to pull the trigger on this! my 1 year old arcade is still kicking perfectly, could easily ensure it'll get me thru until the the 360^2 comes out..

I think I saw the Slim 250gb drive at $99 at Best Buy earlier this week.. didn't look like a YMMV clearance price, looked like a real price tag printed out.

[quote name='Justin42']I think I saw the Slim 250gb drive at $99 at Best Buy earlier this week.. didn't look like a YMMV clearance price, looked like a real price tag printed out.[/QUOTE]

They're on sale

(The older one is more expensive than the S model.... lol)

Great deal, thanks OP!

It's $5.99 for them to ship it to me. Combined with tax puts it at $80 bucks plus change. Still worth it!

A 250gb hard drive is definitely worth it. I was lucky enough to get one when Woot had them for $54.99 but this is still a good price.

Dang, I'd love this but $70 is still too pricey. Getting sick of my tiny little 20gb hdd... constantly having to uninstall/install games because of storage issues and whatnot. Still can't justify $70 though. :'( Probably a great price for anyone else though!

All of these people upgrading because their 20gb's not hacking it.... how did it ever? I bought this to replace my 120gb.... which is just about full.

Quick question - does the transfer move over EVERYTHING? Or will I have to reinstall games, etc?

[quote name='Gabrius']All of these people upgrading because their 20gb's not hacking it.... how did it ever? I bought this to replace my 120gb.... which is just about full.

Quick question - does the transfer move over EVERYTHING? Or will I have to reinstall games, etc?[/QUOTE]

oh man, are you in a for a surprise! To answer your question, yes everything gets transferred and you do not have to uninstall/re-install anything. My one advice would be to delete any FULL game installs you may have done. I mean, why worry about transferring 6gb chunks, when you can just spend 10 mins to re-install them on a nice new HDD? Its really less hassle than doing a PS3 HDD swap. However! you have to transfer your licenses (which you can do once a year - google it, its an official MSFT site you'll go to) I would do this immediately after doing the upgrade. You might notice some weird stuff, like XBLA games prompting for a re-download, but its super quick, like a patch, probably just to verify everything is legit. I upgraded my 20gb to a 120gb and never looked back..until now, I have 20gb free and will probably get this 250gb before they come off the shelves and go for $175 3rd-party on eBay/Amazon..

Thanks op. I went ahead and ordered one. I've had my 20gb since 07, it's about time that I upgraded.

[quote name='Gabrius']All of these people upgrading because their 20gb's not hacking it.... how did it ever? I bought this to replace my 120gb.... which is just about full.

Quick question - does the transfer move over EVERYTHING? Or will I have to reinstall games, etc?[/QUOTE]

I'm upgrading two 360's I have a US 120gb 360 and a JP 60gb 360. Both are almost full. My US 360 is going to get the 250gb and I'm going to move the 120gb to the JP 360.

As far as the games, it will move everything over except for games that you installed on your drive from disc. Those will need to be reinstalled.

I remembered that deal a where there was a CC coupon for I think 15 dollars off 100 dollars or more. Got a good deal because the hard drive was on sale as well and I think I got it for 8x.xx?

I think its a good deal...not a great deal...although I could have used my RZC and walked out paying nothing for it :)

bread's done
Back